FAF2D7AE-68FB-46BD-9E6E-2FC35C40F61C (resized).jpeg
CAB57C73-24B8-4333-928D-C48E12F21CFA (resized).jpeg
31EFB38E-794B-48A0-B636-A8E6C4E085D1 (resized).jpeg
C6B01A0E-5323-4C46-93E9-E469D76272EE (resized).jpeg
597CF695-2738-4CA5-96EF-D379497CA90F (resized).jpeg
908BBEE2-3CFD-4410-9B27-96281930CC3B (resized).jpeg
EdgeOfTommorrow.gif
sotu619munstersacc2 (resized).jpg

There are 1,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 33.
#1501 4 years ago

These monthly addresses get worse every month. It's all fluff and means little to those that purchase games- both operators and home players. No wonder I'm buying Bally/Williams games lately....

#1502 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

These monthly addresses get worse every month. It's all fluff and means little to those that purchase games- both operators and home players. No wonder I'm buying Bally/Williams games lately....

I've always found Bally/Williams to have great updates each month...said no one ever.

#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

It's all fluff

So much fluff... and a GB code update. Basically here's this month's SOTU summed up...

Booshit.gifBooshit.gif

#1504 4 years ago

CSI peeps have been waiting even longer.

I’m pumped to see BM66 is getting an update. It’s already the best coded game in the history of pinball (my personal opinion) so I can’t even imagine what else may be coming on that time.

How much memory is left to work with on BM66? Can they add much more new video?

#1505 4 years ago

Or maybe address the clearcoat elephant in the room?

#1506 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Or maybe address the clearcoat elephant in the room?

Nahhhhhhh. Much easier to show fabricated fan videos from trade shows and bloviate about whatever the F*** the Stern Army is. Avoid talking about the real issue at hand and the numerous NIB orders cancelled and the new PF’s crumbling on location.

Remember last week this wasn’t “a widespread issue”. Not my words... direct quote from Stern Marketing. And since that quote last week there have been countless PF issues noticed... and this release today is the communication from Marketing. Purely embarrassing.

#1507 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

How much memory is left to work with on BM66? Can they add much more new video?

Plenty of room to add video. Quite a bit of unused footage was removed a couple of releases ago.

#1508 4 years ago

Memory isn’t an issue. Just add a bigger SD card... Done.

#1509 4 years ago

Why can't a diamondplate 2.0 playfield be created...it's insane that the largest pinball manufacturer can't bulletproof a playfield in this day and age

#1510 4 years ago

They will cut costs until it bites them and then ease up a little.

This is not a universal problem. If it were everyone would have issues now. The good news is that Stern has been good in the past when Metallica era games had issues and then when the whole ghosting thing happened. They will hopefully fix this and replace the damaged playfields. Until then, don’t buy until you are comfortable.

#1511 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Why can't a diamondplate 2.0 playfield be created...it's insane that the largest pinball manufacturer can't bulletproof a playfield in this day and age

Some people with sophistication in this area have opined that the chemical combination used for diamondplate in the early 90’s cannot be used today for regulatory reasons. I’m not sure, but that sounds as reasonable of a reason as I could think of. Shame too, diamondplate was awesome stuff!

#1512 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

This is not a universal problem. If it were everyone would have issues now. The good news is that Stern has been good in the past when Metallica era games had issues and then when the whole ghosting thing happened. They will hopefully fix this and replace the damaged playfields. Until then, don’t buy until you are comfortable.

Absolutely agree w this....

#1513 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

No doubt this is true....Stern will save a buck if they could...lets hope both JJP and Stern address this issue soon....

#1514 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Some people with sophistication in this area have opined that the chemical combination used for diamondplate in the early 90’s cannot be used today for regulatory reasons. I’m not sure, but that sounds as reasonable of a reason as I could think of. Shame too, diamondplate was awesome stuff!

That's what I was thinking. The fucking useless EPA ruining shit for everybody.

#1515 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

This excuse is nonsense, clearcoats today are orders of magnitude better than they were 50 years ago. As an added bonus they don't cause your employees to suffer and die. You get what you pay for and companies need to evolve as products do. If your trying to use the cheapest clear coat and the same techniques from 50 years ago this is what happens.

#1516 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

You can spray just about anything if you pony up for the proper ventilation and buy a fume incinerator unit to burn up any toxic fumes before they leave the building.

#1517 4 years ago

Funny how so many people just jump to the old "it must be greed" argument.

Quoted from KenLayton:

To me this is the more likely explanation. Things were rolling along fine all this time using the extremely poisonous clear coats from the last 25 years and the playfield manufacturers got caught unprepared by new regulations that made the old clears cost prohibitive. It takes time to field test new formulas. Remember that Diamond Plate appeared on a very limited number of test games YEARS before Williams started using it on all of their games. Coming up with the exact water based formula to replace the old hazardous formulas is obviously failing in some cases and working now in others. Given all of the test cases out there now, hopefully someone behind the scenes is keeping track of what is working and what isn't. Multiple playfield sources just serves to cloud the issue for the consumer. Maybe Mirco had problems first and the other suppliers switched to the new clear later on? Can't just pin it to one supplier because we here at Pinside simply don't know.

All that said, it still really surprises me that this issue has gotten this far. Literally JJP knew about this issue way more than 6 months ago. The fact that a single Wonka or JP2 shipped with these similar clearcoat issues leads me to think this problem is worse behind the scenes than we are being told and their hands may well be tied by regulations. If this was all caused by trying to save a few bucks per game on clear coating material, they would have switched back to the old formula months ago until they found and tested a better clear coat material.

#1518 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

You can spray just about anything if you pony up for the proper ventilation and buy a fume incinerator unit to burn up any toxic fumes before they leave the building.

Mirco is in Germany. Nothing to do with the EPA. Probably even more strict over there.

#1519 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Mirco is in Germany. Nothing to do with the EPA. Probably even more strict over there.

Stern isn't using Mirco and has identical issues on JP as JJP is having on Wonka and POTC.

#1520 4 years ago

Maybe they do.....No one really knows who makes their playfields and if it's multiple sources. Given the random issues would seem multiple....

#1521 4 years ago

don't y'all have enough "clear coat" threads already? Jeebus

#1522 4 years ago

I sent this to Dwight and Code.updates @ Stern

Hi Dwight, suggestion for the new code for GB...If you can implement this it would be Epic!

Definitely need the callout when the GB's fire their proton packs at the maid in the hotel....So you drain a ball or miss a shot and she says

"What the Hell are you Doing!"

........Hope they can implement this

#1524 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Maybe they do.....No one really knows who makes their playfields and if it's multiple sources. Given the random issues would seem multiple....

Mirco has said Stern is not a customer.

#1525 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The problems seem to similar for that to be the case. Why the identical problem at the identical time? Fishy

#1526 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you hadn't heard, you can't trust anyone in the pinball game.

#1527 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I doubt this is really the driver. I was responsible for large chemical manufacturing sites producing high end adhesives and composite coatings (including auto and aerospace clear coats) throughout the US and Europe, with plants in California and Germany, and we supplied high volumes of solvent based products. The drive is definitely toward water based but there are numerous industrial applications that still require solvent technologies. This issue is more likely that the playfield supplier doesn’t have the wherewithal or desire to invest in the emission control equipment and ongoing compliance management to handle solvent products.

#1528 4 years ago

Has anyone in Germany arranged a fist fight with oneangrymo? Perhaps while he is over there he could pay a visit to Mirco and check things out.

3 weeks later
#1529 4 years ago

Stern Of The Union Address - October 2019 :

Ghostbusters – In case you missed it, watch a replay of the code update for Ghostbusters with lead programmer Dwight Sullivan, Jack Danger, and special guests highlighting this comprehensive update. There are many new exciting features including a brand new wizard mode, redesigned wizard modes, and major game feature updates. This code also adds additional polish, score balancing, adjustments, system updates and contains bug fixes.

Jurassic Park – For all Jurassic Park owners, with Limited Edition and Premium models now leaving the factory be on the lookout for a new code update across all models later this month.

Batman ’66 – There is a new Batman update in the works.

More here :

https://sternpinball.com/2019/09/30/stern-of-the-union-address-october-2019/

#1530 4 years ago

I love that whoever configures Stern's insider emails doesn't even hyperlink text to the Stern Insider Signup and includes all the constant contact tracking info. Solid.

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 1.09.48 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-01 at 1.09.48 PM (resized).png
#1531 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I love that whoever configures Stern's insider emails doesn't even hyperlink text to the Stern Insider Signup and includes all the constant contact tracking info. Solid.[quoted image]

Hahahaha. They must have a bunch of dumb carnies working there.

#1532 4 years ago

Not even a mention of how Star Wars The Pin is doing.

#1533 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Not even a mention of how Star Wars The Pin is doing.

They have never mentioned how successful any game is.

#1534 4 years ago

Oh boy I am so waiting for the Star Wars Topper! It is going to be so neato. (sarcasm)

#1535 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Oh boy I am so waiting for the Star Wars Topper! It is going to be so neato. (sarcasm)

To quote Dwight from the GB code update stream when asked about the Star Wars topper "I don't know where the hell that is" lol.

#1536 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Oh boy I am so waiting for the Star Wars Topper! It is going to be so neato. (sarcasm

Maybe Stern is working on a fully functional light saber for the topper and that’s the delay.

4 weeks later
#1537 4 years ago

STERN OF THE UNION ADDRESS – NOVEMBER 2019:
https://sternpinball.com/2019/11/04/stern-of-the-union-address-november-2019

Status of code:

Elvira – For all Elvira owners, please make sure you have updated your game to the most current code version (v0.86.). This code contains major bug fixes and enhancements that will significantly improve the gameplay and reliability of your game. Be on the lookout for a new code update later this month.

Jurassic Park – For all Jurassic Park owners, be on the lookout for a new code update later this month.

#1538 4 years ago

Thre's a spotlight on Mark Guidarelli who is doing the Spike platform low-level software. Wasn't Lonnie doing that? I know some of the system bugs I found were attributed to his system code. Is he not doing that anymore?

#1539 4 years ago

These threads are quieter without the regular code outrage .

#1540 4 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

oh snap. I wonder what will be added now

#1541 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

This isn’t new. The same update has been in the last few SOTUs.

#1542 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Star Wars topper outrage starts in 3.. 2.. 1..

#1543 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Their 1970's appearances.

#1544 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Lol!!!!

#1545 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Their 1970's appearances

OMG, I’ve not seen that before. LMAO!

3 weeks later
#1546 4 years ago

STERN OF THE UNION ADDRESS - DECEMBER 2109

Engineering Updates:

We continuously make improvements to our games and over the last several months, have made improvements to the Spike2 PCB games’ software, making it even easier for operation and use of our games. These improvements will benefit both operators and home game owners. Cost per play (or free play) is exhibited on the LCD display and all Spike2 games now have Persistent Settings (adjustments, audits, custom pricing, custom message, high score, and more). These settings/adjustments can be saved. They will not reset when software is updated.

You can save settings, high scores, adjustments and/or audits from one machine to reload to that machine or another machine. The Save and Load command, located in the Utility sub-menu of the Service Menu enables these functions. We have also reinstituted the use of a coin door power interlock switch, cutting playfield power when the coin door is opened. You will see many more system improvements in the future!

Status of Code:

We are continuously working to update and improve software for our machines. There are always code updates and bug fixes in various stages of development; we will release them upon update completion. Here are some of the latest updates and the status of things in the works. If you would like to join our mailing list for code updates, please send an e-mail to [email protected]. If you do encounter any bugs please feel free to provide information to [email protected]

Elvira – For all Elvira owners, please make sure you have updated your game to the most current code version (v0.87.0). This code contains bug fixes, additional polish and game enhancements that will significantly improve the gameplay and reliability of your game. Be on the lookout for a new code update later this month.

Jurassic Park – For all Jurassic Park owners, please make sure you have updated your game to the most current code version (v0.95.0). This code contains multiple new wizard modes, bug fixes, enhancements and additional polish. Be on the lookout for a new code update later this month.

More here:
https://sternpinball.com/2019/12/03/stern-of-the-union-address-december-2019/

#1547 4 years ago

Gotta wonder who's responsible for the launch party promotions. First image is much too small to read. Ok, click the link that says "Final list"... and you get to a page that has even less information but at least the image is clickable, surely that will zoom in and allow me to read it. But instead- it goes to the FULL list of tournaments on the IFPA website.

#1548 4 years ago
Quoted from misterschu:

Gotta wonder who's responsible for the launch party promotions. First image is much too small to read. Ok, click the link that says "Final list"... and you get to a page that has even less information but at least the image is clickable, surely that will zoom in and allow me to read it. But instead- it goes to the FULL list of tournaments on the IFPA website.

There's a zoom friendly one:

15729850230967604016506272280280 (resized).jpg15729850230967604016506272280280 (resized).jpg
#1549 4 years ago
Quoted from misterschu:

The Image has a high Resolution, it's your Browser that scales it down to settings.
Depending on what you're using that Image is Razor Sharp...

...I'm sitting at work using IE11 and it Looks like shit, yes.

2 weeks later
#1550 4 years ago

I'm glad to see Stern is still keeping up with these monthly reports. I do hope they continue doing a "surprise" code update every now and again. It's nice to see an older game get a bit of love from Stern.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
There are 1,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-of-the-union-address/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.