View topic image gallery

sig.jpg
fleese.jpg
ha.jpg
TWD.jpg
poke-the-bear-1.png
twd pro mods.jpg
10631143_10152765814129244_4147067819918402009_o.jpg
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Sorry, but these mods are both original and cool.

The designs are original, the concepts are not. . Actually the shooter rod looks like one of the play field heads.

Anyway I never said the mods weren't cool looking. They're especially great if you like the AMC logo on your mods.

But like others have said, mod makers that make a better product for a cheaper price have nothing to worry about.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Comments about armor are well deserved. The topper though, is killer in my opinion.

Agreed. Topper is bad ass - need video of that ASAP.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Stern Pinball Releases Custom Accessories For The Walking Dead Pinball Machine
World’s Leading Maker of Arcade-Quality Pinball Machines Launches Custom Accessories Line of Products
MELROSE PARK, IL – October 15, 2014 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines, announced today the availability of four licensed and custom-developed pinball accessories for its latest release, AMC’s The Walking Dead.
In response to market demand, Stern is now offering unique, game-specific accessories that further enhance the appeal of its pinball machines and enable pinball fans to customize their games to suit their personal tastes.
The Walking Dead accessories include:
● A fish tank topper full of three fully detailed zombie heads designed and sculpted by Greg Nicotero, Executive Producer of The Walking Dead. The topper is accompanied by game-integrated lighting that attracts players and adds zombie ambiance to any room
● An authentic zombie head shooter knob that adds tactile art to a player’s first interaction with the game
● Custom-designed, artistic inside-panels that add dimension to the pinball playfield area
● Blood splattered side-armor that further enhances The Walking Dead pinball experience
“We didn’t think The Walking Dead machine could get any better but now we have four custom-developed accessories that take your zombie apocalypse experience to a whole new level,” said Gary Stern, Chairman and CEO of Stern Pinball. “We are thrilled to offer these new, exclusive Stern accessories to our fans and are excited about all of the great future accessory products that are in our pipeline.”

10631143_10152765814129244_41470... 105 KB

I went to sterns website. I can only find text info on mods. Where are these located?

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

But like others have said, mod makers that make a better product for a cheaper price have nothing to worry about.

Agreed, so why post this?:

instead of blatently ripping us off. It's pretty obvious at this point that Jody and his crew scours Pinside for ideas.

Not to say your mods aren't cool. Just saying that anyone riding Stern's coat tails and making money off of their machines shouldn't be bashing Stern for trying to cash in on the market that THEIR hard work and creativity created in the first place.

Competition is good. Keep making good products and they will continue to sell. At least they didn't send you a C&D...

#155 9 years ago

It was a knee-jerk reaction, we all have them. I doubt I'm the only mod maker who's disappointed but there's no time for that now, I have shooter rods to paint.

#156 9 years ago

There is still all the older Sterns not to mention B/W and data east Sega, I think the modders will be fine.

#157 9 years ago

I can't believe this a first. It makes perfect sense to me for the manufacturer to sell the extras. Too bad the topper isn't just a standard piece like other games that came with a topper though.

#158 9 years ago

I can see it now where is my code update....where are my mods.......

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

If they start selling code updates...I'm getting a pitch fork...

hehehehe...
it's on OS upgrade

#160 9 years ago

The topper looks awesome but the price sucks. The armor looks cool too and people on here are saying its pricey but it's not. It is nearly the same price as other after market armor like the ones at the pinball refinery are the same price without the lockdown bar. So the armor when compared to other after market armor isn't that bad but the topper is.

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But man you better be sure you are keeping this game for life before you drop that kind of cabbage.

Were there ever any doubts?? I've already emailed JJ.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm going to have to get that topper. It would be nice just as wall art, I like the pinball refinery side panels better.

Agreed on the topper. It's awesome.

I still like mirror blades better than any side panels I have ever seen. Not sure why people prefer side panels to mirrors?

#163 9 years ago

Nice mods, but the price is a little stiff on a couple of those items.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Side armor should have been on the le.. So much better

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This is cool but for the price of the LE and what it offers they should include all of the listed mods to justify the $7500 (could be more or less depending on who you buy from) price tag. I don't think a shaker is even included with TWD LE

Quoted from jgentry:

Nice looking mods. For the price of the LE they should be part of the package though.

If these were added to the LE Stern would've charged 10k for the LE model! Almost wonder if Stern originally had these on the LE and decided they were already maxed out at charging 8500 for a machine so these "mods" were eliminated and sold separately.

If one were to buy all these "mods" (you know there are people out there that will buy all of them) Stern is making just over 9650$ per LE model!

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

If one were to buy all these "mods" (you know there are people out there that will buy all of them) Stern is making just over 9650$ per LE model!

bravo stern!

#166 9 years ago

yep... i think mirror blades are better, but maybe with a little (very small amount of) overlay artwork. not dominated by artwork.

but, i do have all artwork side panels on SMB and TSPP. think it works well on the cartoon-like themes.

#167 9 years ago

Christmas present determined.

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

The topper looks awesome but the price sucks. The armor looks cool too and people on here are saying its pricey but it's not. It is nearly the same price as other after market armor like the ones at the pinball refinery are the same price without the lockdown bar. So the armor when compared to other after market armor isn't that bad but the topper is.

What do you do with the existing armor?
Sell it I guess??

#169 9 years ago

As an operator, I would prefer mod money go to Stern.

You may want to consider switching over to operating games yourself. You won't make mod money, but you will get a steady income. And you'll be contributing a lot more to the hobby than you will by selling mods to home buyers.

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

As an operator, I would prefer mod money go to Stern.
You may want to consider switching over to operating games yourself. You won't make mod money, but you will get a steady income. And you'll be contributing a lot more to the hobby than you will by selling mods to home buyers.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to do both.

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed on the topper. It's awesome.
I still like mirror blades better than any side panels I have ever seen. Not sure why people prefer side panels to mirrors?

Couldn't agree more!

#172 9 years ago

next thang you'll know... Stern will be selling used pins on their site.

oy-vey

#173 9 years ago

Money was being left on the table. This is no surprise that they entered the mod market.
So the LE will not have all toys available from the start? hmm. Whole new meaning to the word "Limited" Edition.

Cool looking stuff though. Many different tastes so the more versions the better for the consumer IMO.

#174 9 years ago

Will these be direct or via distros?

#175 9 years ago

Believe it or not, I'm trying to do both.

I don't want to get too far off topic, but if you have games out now, thank you.

#176 9 years ago

people buy LE coz they expect the whole deal, now it seems like they got only half for what they paid for... I bought Pro model myself, I hope the fish tank topper will work together with the fish tank mode.
I do think their add is misleading. They show a pro model with the backglas of an LE...

twd pro mods.jpgtwd pro mods.jpg
#177 9 years ago

I like the topper. Seems a little high price wise but what do I know.

Also agree with others who have stated that the LE should have the best armor stock. Then again maybe they didn't think everyone would like it and it would dissuade people from buying.

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Does anyone think it's too far off in the future that some manufacturer (JJP, Stern, VonD (lol)) will start taking orders for machines like the car industry. Basically starting out with a base model (Pro) and then allowing people to select which options (mods) they can add to a game???

I think this would be great as long as the mods don't alter the PF much. If it's something like "we have 3 different colored snakes you can choose from", that'd be fine. But if it's "you have to pay extra for the snake", I wouldn't be down.

Being able to choose what color armor, which translite, which cabinet artwork, headphone jack, and so on would be interesting. There's been tables that I've liked the artwork on one model but the translite on the other.

#179 9 years ago

I don't see Stern offering custom machines assembled at the factory, maybe the distributors but not the Stern factory- it would slow up production and become a nightmare. 95% of car manufacturers will pump out a few models in set colours and then the distributors get the extras and prep them for the customer. But don't believe distributors will over stock in these as well as then alot of money sitting on the shelf as they want the machines out the door.

As for the Stern mods they do look cool but they are not original in concept - basically copying ideas of what is being done on Pinside by some of the originator creative modders (if that is a phase lol).

I also agree with custom_pinball they should call on some of the modder artists to join Stern on some creations.

#180 9 years ago

STERN - This is a BIG disgrace for Us LE buyers!
These should have been on the LE machines from day dot. (Topper and Mirror blades)
P.s wheres the LE shaker?
Starting to loose me now.

#181 9 years ago

I love the idea but man it does sting a bit when you have an le on order....
And squizz is right put the gd shaker in the le.

#182 9 years ago

Pretty much the nail in the coffin for me...

Seems Stern has plenty of time to design mods..yet doesn't have the 'time' to ship the game with any kind of respectable code.

I got some time on a pro last night..after 6-8 games I found my self playing Gillian's Island, RTC and Golden Eye more. TWD is really nothing but a bash feast. I was contemplating canceling my LE on the drive home...I've bought Borg's last few LE and REALLY wanted a Zombie pin

The LE is really just a Premium now...you have to build your own LE with another grand or so.

Check please...I'm out! Probably for good...

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Seems Stern has plenty of time to design mods..yet doesn't have the 'time' to ship the game with any kind of respectable code.

So you think Stern programmers are designing mods instead of writing code?
There is no way they have the programmers designing these mods and not codding.
It takes time to write and test code but it is not the same person doing the mods.

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

oy-vey

may not be a bad thing. Think about it, maybe you could trade in a previous Stern pin when you buy a new one. Kind of like the car market. Trade in your old car for a new one. Could always get more selling outright but sometimes it's not worth the hassle. Plus we know that market is out there as most of the main dist take trade ins for new pins.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

They do it with cars cell phones why not pinball machines.
They could do factory refurbished.

#186 9 years ago

Those that think all of this should have been on the LE.

When is the last time you bought a high end/limited edition car that came with custom wheels? I just don't get it. I know ya'll want to get all this for free but this is not out of the norm and should not be a surprise.

#187 9 years ago

I don't agree that LE = every possible feature.

The special part of a LE is in it's limited run and features unique to that run.

My buddy that bought a supercar was given the option of tacking on a lot of extras to the already over $200k price.

I'd say his car is way more of a LE than any Stern LE pinball machine is.

EDIT: vette beat me to the same thing by 50 seconds.

#188 9 years ago

Obviously they put resource towards designing these mods. They could have easily added another guy to the coding team instead and gave us something more than...bash the prison...bash Wellervine. Ohhh look..a blinking light at the ramp..let hit that

Blah...blah...blah

Quoted from pinballlooking:

So you think Stern programmers are designing mods instead of writing code?
There is no way they have the programmers designing these mods and not codding.
It takes time to write and test code but it is not the same person doing the mods.

#189 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

They do it with cars cell phones why not pinball machines.
They could do factory refurbished.

That's not my quote there that you quoted Not sure how that happened.

#190 9 years ago

Obviously they put resource towards designing these mods. They could have easily added another guy to the coding team instead.

Do you really believe that?

"Hey, what can we do to keep our artists busy between games?"

"I dunno, let's have them code."

#191 9 years ago

If you have to 'keep an artist busy'...you clearly have too many artist on staff

If you can't put a game out that barely keeps score...you clearly don't have enough coders on staff.

It's really not that difficult

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Do you really believe that?
"Hey, what can we do to keep our artists busy between games?"
"I dunno, let's have them code."

#192 9 years ago

It's really not the difficult

Except neither you or I are running Stern, so we both are just guessing.

It's lame to imply that I don't understand a simple concept, when you are also talking out of your ass and making a guess.

#193 9 years ago

Huh? You're the one that said 'they had to keep the artist busy'. You started the theory on why they are making the mods..AKA 'the talking out your ass'

I merely commented....if your theory was correct..there's a pretty big problem.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Except neither you or I are running Stern, so we both are just guessing.
It's lame to imply that I don't understand a simple concept, when you are also talking out of your ass and making a guess.

#194 9 years ago

I merely commented....if your theory was correct..there's a pretty big problem.

I'll just agree to disagree.

Like me, you may have a career in software development. My opinion is based on my experience. I think the fix to Stern's code problem is to bring in someone who understands modern SDLC and can lead the coders there. That's opposed to piling on more coders.

To summarize, I do agree that they could use another person or two in the coding department, just not coders. I also don't agree in cannibalizing an artist head to make room for a new coder head. Let an artist go if the work isn't there, but don't let them go to enact a poor fix.

#195 9 years ago

Since when do you buy an LE and get all the after market mods included?
Since when has anyone produced a topper this cool, or likely expensive?
Since when does a pin from Stern include mirror blades/side art panels?
Since when does a Stern pin include a custom shooter rod?
Since never, that's when.

So now you have the option on buying these from Stern. Did you notice that the zombie heads in the topper are sculpted by the Walking Dead artist himself?

Stating that Stern should be including everything on an LE is just plain ignorant. Wouldn't you like to see various leg colours and even other options available? The more, the better I say.

BUT: Mess with the playfield options (ie: charge me more for something that actually impacts the way the game plays), and I may have an issue with that.

#196 9 years ago

That's fair..
I don't pretend to know Stern's business model...the only thing I do know is the results of their business model

I gave them a pass on my XmenLE ..and the 2 years it took to fix the code
I begrudgingly gave them a pass on my MetLE ..and the year it took to fix the hammer and completely missing modes

Now I see 'ohh look..here's some shinny mods for your TWD Premium to turn it into a LE' the day after playing the borefeast that is TWD.

Some people don't have a problem with that...which is fine. I was gonna give them yet another shot as I'm a sucker for horror type stuff and a huge fan of Borg's games (yes...completely my fault). Well..they just made my decision for me..which was kinda nice

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'll just agree to disagree.
Like me, you may have a career in software development. My opinion is based on my experience. I think the fix to Stern's code problem is to bring in someone who understands modern SDLC and can lead the coders there. That's opposed to piling on more coders.
To summarize, I do agree that they could use another person or two in the coding department, just not coders. I also don't agree in cannibalizing an artist head to make room for a new coder head. Let an artist go if the work isn't there, but don't let them go to enact a poor fix.

#197 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Those that think all of this should have been on the LE.
When is the last time you bought a high end/limited edition car that came with custom wheels? I just don't get it. I know ya'll want to get all this for free but this is not out of the norm and should not be a surprise.

I agree, but part of what we paid for with an LE was cool armor. We get rust and for $500 more we could get this armor that I think everyone agrees looks better?

The armor is the only item I feel like I got jipped with.

#198 9 years ago

**edit - post was argumentative and pointless at this point...

Time to drain this thread as it's going nowhere...

#199 9 years ago

Overpriced fail.

#200 9 years ago

Pingraffix Pinblades = 75.00
Stern Blades = 79.99

PBC Shooter Rods = 69.99
Stern Shooter Rod = 79.99

Pinball Refinery Custom Armor Kit = 480.00
Stern Custom Armor Kit = 499.99

As far as the topper goes, thats a tough one to find a comparison to. There isn't much out there thats new and like it. While I dig Laseriffic's toppers, I don't think its fair to compare them price-wise to the Fishtank topper.

I wouldn't exactly call these overpriced failures. In fact, pricing may be lower, as we don't yet know if these are retail only, or via distributors. With that said, I don't mean this as a knock against anyone. i love that there are people out there doing awesome and creative things. I hope that they are able to keep on doing them, as well. I also don't think that Stern's entry into the Mod marketplace will put too much of a damper on things. Too much creativity out there to stop the signal. At least I hope that's the case.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.00
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 26.95
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-now-selling-mods/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.