View topic image gallery

sig.jpg
fleese.jpg
ha.jpg
TWD.jpg
poke-the-bear-1.png
twd pro mods.jpg
10631143_10152765814129244_4147067819918402009_o.jpg
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 9 years ago

I think this is a great move by Stern. It shows that they aren't blind to what's going on around them. Seeing Robin's picture at their factory today also reinforced that.

#102 9 years ago

I think it 's nice to see and looks good. As others have said Stern should include these on the Le's. Or at least give an option like the armor or you get topper,rod, and blades.....either or.....

#103 9 years ago

The announcement says the mods are available - where?

#104 9 years ago

stern is becoming the walmart of pinballs. Next they will start offering led kits for all their previous games.

#105 9 years ago

Stern should have been doing this all along rather than making a half dozen models to sell, limiting runs, changing up model types, then wondering why a particular model isn't selling and another is over-bought. Just make one model and sell the mods, separately and in upgrade packages, installed at the factory.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Stern should have been doing this all along rather than making a half dozen models to sell, limiting runs, changing up model types, then wondering why a particular model isn't selling and another is over-bought. Just make one model and sell the mods, either separately or in upgrade packages, installed at the factory.

Yea, maybe they just sell a standard edition pin and people can customize/personalize it. It can be like burger king and people can have it their way.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Stern should have been doing this all along rather than making a half dozen models to sell, limiting runs, changing up model types, then wondering why a particular model isn't selling and another is over-bought. Just make one model and sell the mods, either separately or in upgrade packages, installed at the factory.

From a sales perspective that kills the idea you are buying something "limited", which stops the frenzy that gets people to pay big bucks for a toy. The limited idea is what causes the pre-orders . . . I'm not sure why anyone would ever pre-order a pro (though I know some people do that) as they will be available for at least a year.

With an LE there is at least a risk of buy now or miss out. The premiums tarnished that thought of missing out and that may be why we aren't seeing the premium (yet) . . . they want people to buy the LE thinking it is the only way they will ever get the features.

I'm going through with my TWDLE pre-order . . . still . . .

#108 9 years ago

Wow, well it is about time! I mean ... I wish these typical mods (blades with art, custom legs/armor, toppers, etc) came standard on games but at least they're offering them as extras if nothing else.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Yea, maybe they just sell a standard edition pin and people can customize/personalize it. It can be like burger king and people can have it their way.

Right, and ultimately it's no extra effort from a manufacturing standpoint as compared to what they are already doing. 1 game, 2-3 optional trim packages.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

I am hoping for all those LE owners (I am not one due to theme) that there is an announcement at the Stern launch party that at the rails will come standard in the LE. If not I can see a lot of LE owners reacting very negatively to this news... All LE's that have come out lately have custom rails, come on Stern throw these guys a bone.

I think the rails ($500) are extra even on the LE as Stern is showing them on the LE in the advertisement.

#111 9 years ago

I wish Stern would send someone to my house to get the machine out of the box and put the legs on it, for those prices they should.

#112 9 years ago

All for it, so long as they don't come after 3rd party modders. Smart move by Stern. Hopefully other manufacturers follow suit.

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

From a sales perspective that kills the idea you are buying something "limited", which stops the frenzy that gets people to pay big bucks for a toy. The limited idea is what causes the pre-orders . . . I'm not sure why anyone would ever pre-order a pro (though I know some people do that) as they will be available for at least a year.
With an LE there is at least a risk of buy now or miss out. The premiums tarnished that thought of missing out and that may be why we aren't seeing the premium (yet) . . . they want people to buy the LE thinking it is the only way they will ever get the features.

Forcing pre-orders is getting old in this industry... over/under promise, over/under estimate demand. When reality says Premiums are more limited than LEs, what is driving the frenzy to purchase the LE that will tank in the after-market? Usually it is just like you said, it is the full featured version of the game, the best looking version of the game, with the most mods. Stern can still upcharge $2k for the best trim packages... and make it available for a limited time if they want to force a quick decision. I'm a heavy proponent of providing everyone the same game-play experience, and a build-to demand business model, it's a win-win for everyone.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I wasn't the one that threw out the C&D talk. I don't disagree with you.

It's all good, I was just kidding anyway.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Hey what are you saying??
Keep in mind they're Stern parts, so they may fall apart after a few months. Lol!

lol -I didn't mean that other mods are NOT quality, (though they aren't all!).
It is nice to see that the pricing will allow some others to continue to do what they do.

#116 9 years ago

Count me in for the topper. To me, it's a must have to make the LE's even more limited.
With that said though , I can't see myself buying many mods from Stern. Just too pricey for me.
Hopefully we can buy these mod's from our distributers at a more reasonable price like we do the games. Good and smart move for Stern though.

#117 9 years ago

I think this is a great, and overdue, idea.

I much prefer the ability for us to customize our pins at the dealer just like when buying a car than limited editions.

Game is more affordable for those who don't want the window dressing. But ultimately the same game experience itself.

Good job, Stern!

#118 9 years ago

these really are WAY overpriced and if anything are an indicator of how much mark up is on a game. At the same time, it makes me wonder if they are seeing the trend of fewer games sales and trying to get creative with upselling on the ones they already have.

The mods themselves look cool, but would have me scratching my head if I were a LE buyer when my blinged machine does not automatically come with all the bling.

#119 9 years ago

Art blades have the AMC logo in case anybody needed it again, and the side armor looks to have something white just beyond the flipper button - anybody make that out?

Well thank goodness, I wasn't getting enough of that AMC logo yet..

#120 9 years ago

Wait until they hold stuff off LEs and sell it to you aftermarket. It's like the recent video game add-on phenomenon where they pull whole levels and features out of the games to sell to you after the game is bought instead of just including it in the game from the start.

Is this the first Stern topper since Southpark?

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Well thank goodness, I wasn't getting enough of that AMC logo yet..

Maybe if they keep adding them you can get over the fact the company that owns something wants their name on it.

#122 9 years ago

I am more interested to see what they do with past and future titles then just this one.

#123 9 years ago

Stern may just be capitalizing on the appeal of this pin in particular - not sure if they will do pins too far back, or even in their next pin. I think it is fine for pinball manufacturers to provide additional accessories as mods. I am sure other moders will provide more selection and perhaps improved quality. I for one, don't mind Stern creating them.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm going through with my TWDLE pre-order . . . still . . .

Stern has never sold direct or pre orders.

#125 9 years ago

Damn it feels like I'm paying $25 at McDonald's for a Big Mac value meal and they are telling me that ketchup and the straw are extra money...

#126 9 years ago

I hope they make a "mod" for the Wolverine bash toy on the X-Men LE

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Wait until they hold stuff off LEs and sell it to you aftermarket. It's like the recent video game add-on phenomenon where they pull whole levels and features out of the games to sell to you after the game is bought instead of just including it in the game from the start.

That's called a "Pro" and there are features left off that you can't add-on no matter the cost.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Damn it feels like I'm paying $25 at McDonald's for a Big Mac value meal and they are telling me that ketchup and the straw are extra money...

Agreed. One of the reasons I have bought LEs in the past is because I want the most blinged out version. Now the LE isn't the most blinged out version they produce. Asking customers to spend another several hundred for a "super blinged" LE seems like a kick to the groin, especially given the skyrocketing price of the LEs to begin with.

The LE with the new rails, topper and a shaker is how I would go. Just not for the cash they are asking for.

#129 9 years ago

i wonder if in the future, Stern will offer a price mod ?

#130 9 years ago

Is the glass half-full, or half empty?
When I had my Met Premium, I enjoyed it a ton! The fact that my friend had one with a custom Sparky didn't make mine "less fun".

It's awesome that Stern is making mods. Especially great looking mods!
There are probably a lot of Pro owners out there who are happy they can add custom side armor now as well!

I just don't get some of you guys; if you don't like them enough to buy the mods, why are you treating it like a bad thing? Lighten up! It's just pinball.

#131 9 years ago

This is a great idea. They need to add to the line a few things:

Real knocker (this is a no brainer)

They also need to start selling cabinet decals for older games like LOTR, TSPP, SM, FG, etc, etc using the new high res process. They would sell hundreds for each game.

#132 9 years ago

How could this be anything other than a good thing? Ok, should these extras be part of the LE package I say yes but I'm glad Stern is making mods.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Remember, Stern's new Revenue Czar is former VP at Topps. If he could get people to buy cardboard, he's gotta be figuring the pinball crowd as an easy mark.
Art blades have the AMC logo in case anybody needed it again, and the side armor looks to have something white just beyond the flipper button - anybody make that out?

Whoops meant to give props to the original poster, for some reason the "quote" part did copy across correct.

Totally agree with the AMC comment above, thank goodness we have another callout for AMC on there...

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This is a great idea. They need to add to the line a few things:
Real knocker (this is a no brainer)
They also need to start selling cabinet decals for older games like LOTR, TSPP, SM, FG, etc, etc using the new high res process. They would sell hundreds for each game.

Yes yes yes !!!!!!

#135 9 years ago

For those that can't afford the machine, there is always the topper....

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

How could this be anything other than a good thing? Ok, should these extras be part of the LE package I say yes but I'm glad Stern is making mods.

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing but it would've been nice if Stern gave some of us mod makers the opportunity to work with them (like they did with Pinball Armor) instead of blatently ripping us off. It's pretty obvious at this point that Jody and his crew scours Pinside for ideas.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

For those that can't afford the machine, there is always the topper....

hehehe
...on lay-away

#138 9 years ago

Well I guess on the bright side none of these mods are on the playfield.

#139 9 years ago

When you can buy a game for the price of a mod...

#140 9 years ago

A playfield prison mod that actually did something other that just open to reveal another bash toy would be cool...

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

If they start selling code updates...I'm getting a pitch fork...

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

If they start selling code updates...I'm getting a pitch fork...

or any non Stern mods will void warranty.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Only here these are purely aesthetic add-ons and cost 50+ times more. Imagine how pissed you'd be if you bought a level pack for a game and it was just an empty world of scenery?

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from Kevgascan:

or any non Stern mods will void warranty.

Technically, they could do that in the same way Apple does it with jailbroken phones.

#145 9 years ago

I'm holding off judgement till after they start showing up on peoples games. The way people have complained about Stern quality let's just see what the quality of these mods are going to be and what the street price will be also.

#146 9 years ago

$500 for the armor kit?? Couldn't you just buy a can of red paint, stick your hand in it and grab the legs and side rails etc. in random places and come up with the same effect? Ohhh, maybe that's how it's done?

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing but it would've been nice if Stern gave some of us mod makers the opportunity to work with them (like they did with Pinball Armor) instead of blatently ripping us off. It's pretty obvious at this point that Jody and his crew scours Pinside for ideas.

Yeah because there were so many amazing, licensed, three-head zombie toppers and blood spattered armor kits on the market already here on Pinside. Jody surely must have read about the custom shooters that Williams put on the prototype Scared Stiff 20 years ago here on Pinside also. How dare they steal our ideas!

Sorry, but these mods are both original and cool.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

$500 for the armor kit?? Couldn't you just buy a can of red paint, stick your hand in it and grab the legs and side rails etc. in random places and come up with the same effect? Ohhh, maybe that's how it's done?

$500 is what people are paying for Iron Man armor.

#149 9 years ago

Comments about armor are well deserved. The topper though, is killer in my opinion.

#150 9 years ago

I'm going to have to get that topper. It would be nice just as wall art, I like the pinball refinery side panels better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-now-selling-mods/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.