New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 106307)

Stern now selling mods

By ek77

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 323 posts
  • 134 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by blue95
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sig.jpg
fleese.jpg
ha.jpg
TWD.jpg
poke-the-bear-1.png
twd pro mods.jpg
10631143_10152765814129244_4147067819918402009_o.jpg

There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 6 years ago

Stern Pinball Releases Custom Accessories For The Walking Dead Pinball Machine
World’s Leading Maker of Arcade-Quality Pinball Machines Launches Custom Accessories Line of Products
MELROSE PARK, IL – October 15, 2014 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines, announced today the availability of four licensed and custom-developed pinball accessories for its latest release, AMC’s The Walking Dead.
In response to market demand, Stern is now offering unique, game-specific accessories that further enhance the appeal of its pinball machines and enable pinball fans to customize their games to suit their personal tastes.
The Walking Dead accessories include:
● A fish tank topper full of three fully detailed zombie heads designed and sculpted by Greg Nicotero, Executive Producer of The Walking Dead. The topper is accompanied by game-integrated lighting that attracts players and adds zombie ambiance to any room
● An authentic zombie head shooter knob that adds tactile art to a player’s first interaction with the game
● Custom-designed, artistic inside-panels that add dimension to the pinball playfield area
● Blood splattered side-armor that further enhances The Walking Dead pinball experience
“We didn’t think The Walking Dead machine could get any better but now we have four custom-developed accessories that take your zombie apocalypse experience to a whole new level,” said Gary Stern, Chairman and CEO of Stern Pinball. “We are thrilled to offer these new, exclusive Stern accessories to our fans and are excited about all of the great future accessory products that are in our pipeline.”

10631143_10152765814129244_4147067819918402009_o.jpg
#2 6 years ago

They are coming around...where there is money to be made

#3 6 years ago

From their FB Post:

"The Walking Dead Pinball Backbox Topper: $399.99

The Walking Dead Pinball Zombie Shooter Knob: $79.99

The Walking Dead Pinball Playfield Side Art Panels: $79.99

The Walking Dead Pinball Side Armor Trim: $499.99"

#4 6 years ago

I was about to blast off a post putting them down for selling aftermarket items when they should be included in the game but I guess you can say that these items have never been included in a game before! Stern is just now capitalizing off the mod market which stinks for those who do this already!

Does anyone think it's too far off in the future that some manufacturer (JJP, Stern, VonD (lol)) will start taking orders for machines like the car industry. Basically starting out with a base model (Pro) and then allowing people to select which options (mods) they can add to a game???

#5 6 years ago

Stern...the NFL of Pinball

Mods do look nice

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

From their FB Post:
"The Walking Dead Pinball Backbox Topper: $399.99
The Walking Dead Pinball Zombie Shooter Knob: $79.99
The Walking Dead Pinball Playfield Side Art Panels: $79.99
The Walking Dead Pinball Side Armor Trim: $499.99"

Really?

Am I wrong in saying that these prices seem super high?

#7 6 years ago

I can't tell if I am happy or mad......

#8 6 years ago

Good luck trying to get your $1000 in mods back out of potential buyers when it comes time to sell. We are gonna see lots of "But I got $9500 in this game!" posts at that point.

The head fish tank is a nice touch. But man you better be sure you are keeping this game for life before you drop that kind of cabbage.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I can't tell if I am happy or mad.

You're happy. No, it looks like you're mad. Wait...I can't tell either!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Really?
Am I wrong in saying that these prices seem super high?

I'm with you.

#11 6 years ago

That topper is amazing.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That topper is amazing.

+1

regardless of opinions on this move.

#13 6 years ago

Maybe they will want my headphone kits since I populate so many anyway

#14 6 years ago

Hopefully distros have pinsider pricing on these and its not going direct through a stern webstore.

#15 6 years ago

A slippery slope but good business sense.

#16 6 years ago

Excited to buy my Jaws fin topper when that's released.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That topper is amazing.

Agreed. On the price....disagree! The awesomeness of a pinball is inside the cabinet...I don't know if I would spend $400US on gravy.

#18 6 years ago

They should eliminate the LE and sell mirrored backglasses.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That topper is amazing.

The topper being integrated into the game is pretty cool (if I read that right). But it's still not priced "well".

#20 6 years ago

I definitely like Pinballcustoms shooter rod better. The topper is fairly cool. The armor would make a nice upgrade for pros.

#21 6 years ago

crazy prices

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

The topper being integrated into the game is pretty cool (if I read that right). But it's still not priced "well".

Same price as a white water topper.. For what it is its seems ok to me. Unless u can go buy the same thing online somewhere for half the cost

#23 6 years ago

Cool mods but overpriced. Still a way for modders to make money. I wonder if they'll go into their "vault" and make mods for old games or start from TWD on out.

#24 6 years ago

Very smart move on their part, this is something they should've done years ago. Sucks on pricing, but as mentioned hopefully this is just MSRP, and can get them cheaper through distros.

#25 6 years ago

The price on the armor and topper are ridiculous. Admittedly the topper looks nice, but not $400 nice. Maybe at $250

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Same price as a White Water topper.. For what it is its seems ok to me. Unless u can go buy the same thing online somewhere for half the cost

Oh is it? I don't feel like toppers are really worth the price as it is, but I guess that's just me. Some folks will buy and like it. In that case, awesome.

What NEEDS to happen is that Stern's secondary/mod market takes off so they can lower the price of NIB pins.

#27 6 years ago

so now we can make our LE an extra LE

#28 6 years ago

I've seen Fish Tales toppers trading at $400-$500 lately so seems in the ballpark for what people will pay for one.

#29 6 years ago

Wow, I was half-anticipating this. Who thinks they'll follow up with a better prison mod or alternate well walker? That well walker bash toy didn't *really* require a hole in the playfield.

#30 6 years ago

Looks like a good move on their part, really can't blame them. Will be interesting to see the true cost of the mods other than the MSRP..

#31 6 years ago

Maybe now we will see a video with all the add-ons installed?

#32 6 years ago

To me moving into the mod market really brings questions to the LE concept, why not just offer an LE with all these mods? or not offer an LE at all, just pros/premiums with mod upgrades. hmmmm still thinking about this move.

#33 6 years ago

I'm probably in for a topper only

#34 6 years ago

Those who want to pay those prices can pay, I don't think many will. Good news for the current modders out there are those absurd prices.

Now Stern can be in the modding game without stepping on too many toes.

#35 6 years ago

It's nice that Stern is starting to do this, but I agree, the prices seem a wee bit high.

#36 6 years ago

That topper will be awesome. I'm all for Stern doing this.

The one caveat is the side armor. They should include the top tier side armor on the LE . . . not sell better side armor on the side for $500 . . . what am I paying the LE price for? Just the mirrored backglass? The art package is the same . . . jeez . . .

#37 6 years ago

Wonder if they'll consider selling real knocker kits.

#38 6 years ago

I think this is the way to go.

Making only pro pins. Packed with toys and a fantastic layout. But completally moddable with better looking toys, decales, translights etc.

If and only if the pro sells more then lets say 2000 (or other number, just a big succes), only then les will get made. With same toys and lay out, total modded to the max. Off course those paint jobs etc, should be limited and freaking awesome.

That is the best way to keep many costumers on board and survive. Cause with these prices i think it cant last.

Keep affordable but great playing pro, and go all out with mods.

#39 6 years ago

Wow, guess we know why the fish tank topper was on hold for Mezelmods now... Stern seen too many of the little guys making a few bucks so lets crush that market now... It is cool stuff would be really nice if they were not so cheap to begin with and actually put this stuff on a LE machine to begin with at the prices they are selling them for but hey they are a business I guess and if people will pay then I guess they need to be capitalizing on it... More options and stuff is good for the pinball industry as a whole just wish Stern would have stayed out of this one as the small guys were doing just fine with these add ons...

#40 6 years ago

Smart business move on Stern's part. Why should they allow the mod-makers to capitalize off of their pins without taking a share of the pie? Yeah the prices are high but what do you expect when your competition is selling castle walls for $225 and little "Toto" figurines for $65. Since they are the official mods people are usually willing to pay extra for them. The topper looks great! Maybe not $400 great but cool nonetheless...

#41 6 years ago

I don't think that price is bad for what you get. There are plenty of Toppers out there, not as complex, selling for $260+. The Shooter Rod is about the same price I paid for my Scared Stiff Eyeball Shooter. Prices are a little high...but not bad IMO.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That topper will be awesome. I'm all for Stern doing this.
The one caveat is the side armor. They should include the top tier side armor on the LE . . . not sell better side armor on the side for $500 . . . what am I paying the LE price for? Just the mirrored backglass? The art package is the same . . . jeez . . .

Completely agree. For the $2500-$3000K difference the LE should at the very least include the art blades and the side rails and legs. If I would be on the LE buying list.. i would be pissed right about now.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They should include the top tier side armor on the LE . . . not sell better side armor on the side for $500 . . .

Totally agree with this.

#44 6 years ago

Nice looking mods. For the price of the LE they should be part of the package though.

#45 6 years ago

Now we know why there is no premium model, we can now turn pro's into a premium

#46 6 years ago

Do you think they will create mods for previous titles (acdc-twd)

#47 6 years ago

IMO.....

They should do away with the whole "LE" thing. Offer one model, and optional accessories.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't think that price is bad for what you get. There are plenty of Toppers out there, not as complex, selling for $260+. The Shooter Rod is about the same price I paid for my Scared Stiff Eyeball Shooter. Prices are a little high...but not bad IMO.

Yeah, if people will pay >$500 for a GNR topper which is just a piece of plastic I doubt they'll have any problem ponying up for an interactive topper like this which does so much more!

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Does anyone think it's too far off in the future that some manufacturer (JJP, Stern, VonD (lol)) will start taking orders for machines like the car industry. Basically starting out with a base model (Pro) and then allowing people to select which options (mods) they can add to a game???

Personally, I can't wait for this to happen. Star Trek being the latest example. I just wanted the premium playfield (OMG wire ramps!!!) and could do well without the premium/LE cabinet that IMHO does not add any value in terms of gameplay.

#50 6 years ago

Prices don't seem that bad and it does say "retail" so your favorite (Pinball Refinery) Stern distributor may be able to do a bit better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside