• Latest reply 9 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-3-782.jpeg
#1 9 years ago

Just noticed on my star trek premium that I bought that they stopped using the quick lock for the backbox and now it has 2 brackets and bolts, similar to what they did with lock-down bars. I think it sucks and was a stupid decision, just wanted to voice my opinion, I feel better now thank you......

#2 9 years ago

Another example of Stern cheapening out on its paying customers. People have reported the wood stripping because of those holes on fairly new games. Using two little screws to hold up the entire backbox is ludicrous. They even had to screen big arrows and text to point out their location.

#3 9 years ago

Stern dumped their best innovation to cabinet design to save a couple bucks. I always loved how easy the quick lock made setting up/breaking down a game. The new bolts really suck and are not an adequate replacement, IMO.

#4 9 years ago

I remember when Jack was asking for input on WOZ, the first thought that popped in my mind was to use the quick lock, I was glad to see him use it. I wouldn't be so shocked if they left it off the pro models but not even on a premium, shame, shame .....

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Stern dumped their best innovation to cabinet design to save a couple bucks. I always loved how easy the quick lock made setting up/breaking down a game. The new bolts really suck and are not an adequate replacement, IMO.

I'm sure all the bandwagon "Stern can do no wrong" people will call the new lockdown genius, right?

After all, when talking about remakes and how Stern is smart to do that so they can make all the money they can, it should apply to all of the cost cutting crap they do on the games too, right? Should go for the crappy playfield pegs that replaced the slide bars also, for example.

Sorry, couldn't resist the comparison.

#6 9 years ago

I miss the quick lock on my Premium as well. I don't HATE the new system, but that quick lock was really quite fantastic.

#7 9 years ago

I actually LOVE the new backbox design, but those bolts absolutely SUCK. On my Star Trek, one of them stripped on the second use (the nuts don't appear to move very well and it cross-threaded.)

I'm one of those rare people who actually likes the new lockdown bar mechanism.

#8 9 years ago

We've got a ST pro that we got after it being used in a tourney - both screw holes were not only stripped but didnt even line up very well the holes in the cabinet

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

We've got a ST pro that we got after it being used in a tourney - both screw holes were not only stripped but didnt even line up very well the holes in the cabinet

Holy crap these things suck! My ST Pro initially didnt line up at all and as i was putting the bolt in a felt that it was not going in right.. VERY EASY to strip these suckers. Thankfully i was careful and did not strip them but man what a joke.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Another example of Stern cheapening out on its paying customers. People have reported the wood stripping because of those holes on fairly new games. Using two little screws to hold up the entire backbox is ludicrous. They even had to screen big arrows and text to point out their location.

There are 2 more screw locations that are inside of the back box too. Stern only supplies 2 bolts. You could add the 2 extra fastening locations.

#11 9 years ago

Those screws suck! The second time putting one in it stripped. Does PBL or someone else sell replacements?

#12 9 years ago

Cheeky crap, the coffin lock was the best feature on Stern cabinets.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Chemixtry:

Those screws suck! The second time putting one in it stripped. Does PBL or someone else sell replacements?

Stern sent me a couple because it happened when it was only days old, but because the actual NUT stripped, it was worthless as teats on a boar.

#14 9 years ago

I had a feeling there might be some stripped screw replies, I didn't check but it doesn't look like it would be very practical to retrofit one on there either.

#15 9 years ago

I've only got one screw in there now. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

#16 9 years ago

I mounted a Williams clasp.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I mounted a Williams clasp.

Maybe now that Stern is building Williams games, they might pick up on that great idea. There was a time when they actually tried to better that idea.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe now that Stern is building Williams games, they might pick up on that great idea. There was a time when they actually tried to better that idea.

seems like if they were going to try then they would just put the quick lock on that they had been using

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Chemixtry:

I've only got one screw in there now. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

If the plate is stripped drill it out and replace with a nut and bolt.

#20 9 years ago

Can someone post a picture. I am unfamiliar with what you are talking about. Thanks.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well, that is the way it was done for many years until Gary started doing the quick locks at Data East. I agree it is a better system. However, the other way worked too, though Williams did also use a metal plate for support. I wonder if the wood is simply not the same quality that is once was, which is causing the wood to strip. Two bolts and thinner wood, if no other support, seems unwise. Major liability issue if the head comes crashing down. A foolish place to save what can't be much money.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

If the plate is stripped drill it out and replace with a nut and bolt.

Man, how ridiculous that you even have to worry about that! I am so tired of seeing companies screw up perfectly good products to save a few dollars. This mentality is really undermining our whole country in many, many ways. What ever happened to trying to make the best product possible?

#23 9 years ago

Wait for the quick lock Vault Edition.

#24 9 years ago

I heard that the quick lock needs to be mounted inside something thick, like wood (hence the term coffin lock), and that they could no longer mount it once they switched to a thin metal backbox.

#25 9 years ago

This would make more sense, than switching the quick lock just to save pennies, but they really should look into another option.

Quoted from yancy:

I heard that the quick lock needs to be mounted inside something thick, like wood (hence the term coffin lock), and that they could no longer mount it once they switched to a thin metal backbox.

#26 9 years ago

So just reinforce the area where it mounts. What's the big deal?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

So just reinforce the area where it mounts. What's the big deal?

We spend thousands on these pins we don't want and should not have to reinforce them on our NIB purchases.

Quoted from RazerX:

Sorry, I meant Stern should reinforce the area where it should mount and put it back in the games they manufacture.

Ahh ok, sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to say

#28 9 years ago

I don't know why they couldn't be bolted to the steel, I don't think they necessarily have to be used with only wood.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

We spend thousands on these pins we don't want and should not have to reinforce them on our NIB purchases.

Sorry, I meant Stern should reinforce the area where it should mount and put it back in the games they manufacture.

#30 9 years ago

I refuse to buy a new Stern until they improve this! Unless its a Tron Premium.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

There's no reason for it when NIB pins cost $5k-$8k. I could see a cheaper design being implemented if prices for NIB Stern games were going down but that's not the case. If Stern does stick with the new design they should at least correct the issues with it.

Oh, did Stern switch entirely to the new back box design because its cheaper or does it offer some advantages over the previous design? Just curious.

#32 9 years ago

See! You guys let them get away with the craplatch lockdown bar and peg supports for under the pf.

The IronMan Vaults will be shipped without the flipper buttons drilled out of the cabinet. D-I-Y kit included though so you got that going for you.

#33 9 years ago

I agree the playfield support pegs are crap. But I have no issue with the lock down bar with the two clips on my met pro. I actually kind prefer it over the spring loaded latch in my TFLE. I know that's not the popular opinion... but I like how the lock down bar just slides in without having to simultaneously pull the lever, push up on the glass, and gently put the bar in place...

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

See! You guys let them get away with the craplatch lockdown bar and peg supports for under the pf.
The IronMan Vaults will be shipped without the flipper buttons drilled out of the cabinet. D-I-Y kit included though so you got that going for you.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I'm sure all the bandwagon "Stern can do no wrong" people will call the new lockdown genius, right?
After all, when talking about remakes and how Stern is smart to do that so they can make all the money they can, it should apply to all of the cost cutting crap they do on the games too, right? Should go for the crappy playfield pegs that replaced the slide bars also, for example.
Sorry, couldn't resist the comparison.

Gotta love posts where the poster argues with imaginary posts.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

imaginary posts.

th-3-782.jpegth-3-782.jpeg

#37 9 years ago

Smart cost reductions: Apron, lockbar
Dumb cost reductions: Playfield support, backbox lock

IMHO

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

th-3-782.jpeg 5 KB

LOL!!

#39 9 years ago

Someone take a picture and post so I can see what the fuss is all about. Is this standard on all new Sterns now?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Someone take a picture and post so I can see what the fuss is all about. Is this standard on all new Sterns now?

Yeah I got no idea how this works either.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I got no idea how this works either.

I've seen it in person. It's ugly...

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I've seen it in person. It's ugly...

Ah I think I'm gettting it. So no more allen wrench to secure the box in up position; that has been changed to bolts...on the outside?!? First thing I thought of was what Markmon said aboot using a Williams clasp...but wow that is lame. I always liked the Stern lock.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ah I think I'm gettting it. So no more allen wrench to secure the box in up position; that has been changed to bolts...on the outside?!? First thing I thought of was what Markmon said aboot using a Williams clasp...but wow that is lame. I always liked the Stern lock.

The Williams clasp isn't secure it is supposed to be used for set up only until you can install the two wing bolts.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

The Williams clasp isn't secure it is supposed to be used for set up only until you can install the two wing bolts.

....tell it to all my games. Sometimes I remember to get in there and put the bolts on the inside.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

.tell it to all my games. Sometimes I remember to get in there and put the bolts on the inside.

The first time you have a head crash down forward and at the very least dent your side rails, you'll remember.

LTG : )™

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

And, if I'm not mistaken, the wing bolts don't strip out because they are much larger, courser threaded bolts than the small screws Stern is now using.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

....tell it to all my games. Sometimes I remember to get in there and put the bolts on the inside.

I live in earthquake country and that snoozing can get pretty expensive when the heads all slam down.
I saw one pop when the game was being nudged, it wasn't pretty.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I live in earthquake country and that snoozing can get pretty expensive when the heads all slam down.
I saw one pop when the game was being nudged, it wasn't pretty.

Ok stop the intervention, I'll gett'em in there guys.

#49 9 years ago

Dammit Stern, just stop it. We care about you, this is an intervention.

(EDIT: just noticed how my brain works, and it's not pretty. See last post by TheLaw)

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Huh? Wing bolts...

Relying on the latch only here too.... Totally ignored the warning... Going to get some bolts now....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-not-using-quick-lock-anymore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.