You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coin door block.PNG
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
I'm a newbie restorer. Just put an alltek mpu into a stern nineball along with new driver and rectifier boards, repinned the driver brd, rectifier brd & two left plugs on the mpu. Will do them all eventually. Currently, game boots up fine but can't start a game, nor go into diagnostics from the front door switches. Can do self tests from the alltek mpu board. I am thinking it's maybe a continuity problem with the door switches or a switch matrix issue. However, i just want to check i'm not missing something. On boot up i get the image attached - 21 credits, don't know what the 27 or 600 means. Next step is finishing off the repinning.

#2 10 years ago

it might help to check the dip switches ( including the clock speed) then read page 11
http://www.allteksystems.com/pdfs/Complete%20_Ver_L_Manual.pdf

#3 10 years ago

Also check the coin door switches to make sure they are all connected. They all share a common wire, so if one of the coin switches has been disconnected the start button and diagnostic buttons will not work on this game.

#4 10 years ago

Yep, followed everything in the alltek manual including setting dip switches & a memory clear. Test points are solid 4.95V and 44V. Thanks for the tips, I'll check the common wire on the door.

#5 10 years ago

Clock speed jumpers need to be on the left on the alltek board, for later sterns like nineball...

I tried an alltek board in my nineball a couple months ago and it worked fine but had the wrong background sound. Might've just been me though.

Good luck! Hope you can get it all figured out...

#6 10 years ago

The problem is usually the coin door connector block pins if the MPU connectors are good:
Coin door block.PNGCoin door block.PNG

#7 10 years ago

@pinbilly, thx for yr advice. Yep, jumpers are on left. Don't know if i have sound yet, it may yet prove a problem because at present i just get white noise in the sound test.

Thank you @superchicken for the tip and photo re block connector, i hadn't thought of this. Thanks for taking the time to take a photo, i didn't know that thing was called a block connector!

#8 10 years ago

Hi,

Repin J2 and J3 of MPU card too (especially the pin in relation to the matrix) - don't remember the numbers , but take a look on the schematics.

i had two issues (on my Xenon, and Nineball) and it was this SAME problem.

Lionel.

#9 10 years ago

Thx so much everyone, you have been a great help!

#10 10 years ago

Did you get it fixed? If so, what was the resolution?

#11 10 years ago

The machine is at a mate's place and I'm waiting for him to find time for me to come around and work at it. I'll post the solution.

1 week later
#12 10 years ago

OK, this problem is solved, and I am embarrassed to say... there was no problem. All the game needed was a ball in the ball trough.

So now the NB is playing like a dream. Thanks for all the advice, I've learnt a few useful things from this thread. (BTW The '600' in the image in my OP was the default high score.)

#13 10 years ago

The good news is this Nineball is playing like a dream now. It's a great feeling to bring back a machine from the dead.

(I've got a problem with the 6 target spotting as soon as the 5 target drops, ie goes straight from 6 to 8, I'll take a look at that later.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 12.00
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 959.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nineball-alltek-mpu-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.