Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Transformer_Stern_16B-6.jpg
Transformer_Stern_16B6_Voltage.jpg
IMG_20190519_174903 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190519_174859 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190519_174302 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190519_174306 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago

The paper wrapper on that transformer doesn't look like it was smoking. If it did, it's more likely something connected to one of the outputs was shorted and not a fault of the transformer itself.

I know this might seem risky to some, but I would check that none of the lugs are bent and touching another, connect power to the transformer and measure the AC output voltages and go from there.

Again a smoking transformer is indicative of a short circuit downstream in the game - most likely lamp based due to high currents and it was fused with a nail..

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from TaterTot:

What voltages would I need to look for? What steps should I take to make sure it is working correctly.

What's left of the wiring harness in the game that connects to the transformer?

First off, check and configure (jumper) the transformer for your mains wall voltage power and connect the mains power wires (thick red and thick yellow) to the appropriate lugs:

Transformer_Stern_16B6_Voltage.jpgTransformer_Stern_16B6_Voltage.jpg

Once you power it up, measure the AC voltages on the transformer output lugs as per the lug numbers and voltages listed below. Take usual precautions when tinkering in this area not to touch/short anything.

Transformer_Stern_16B-6.jpgTransformer_Stern_16B-6.jpg

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

It is also pretty easy to burn up the high voltage winding (display voltage) in a transformer due to over fusing…..when for example a rectifier diode shorts in the high voltage section, this thin wire winding will not survive if there is a 10A fuse in place in stead of a 0.25A...…. I've seen this more than once unfortunately.

Yeah it's not helped when Bally spec'd 5A slow blow fuse for the high voltage on their first SS Night Rider. Then changed it to 0.75A slow blow until Dolly Parton where it was finally changed to 0.75A fast blow. It's probably the reason so many HV circuits on the solenoid driver boards blowout meanwhile the rectifier board high voltage F2 fuse doesn't...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nine-ball-transformer?tu=Quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.