(Topic ID: 255258)

Stern Nine Ball - Left Ball lock Woes - Need some troubleshooting tech

By Barakawins1

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Barakawins1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I thought I had this solved but apparently no. When a ball enters the left ball lock hole, the game stops. The next ball doesn't eject and the only way to start the next
ball is to tilt. After tilt, the ball will eject from the saucer. I'm a bit stumped as to why this is happening.

Troubleshooting already done:

Replaced MPU board (NVRAM Weebly) - Awesome board btw.
Replaced driver board - known good working board
Repinned all solenoid communication connectors MPU - J4 - Driver board - J4
Placed game into switch test - All switches activate properly, including ball lock switches when ball rolls over each one
All 1n4004 diodes on ball lock, as well as upper and middle switches tested
.05uf 100v capacitors changed on ball trough microswitches (diodes checked as well)
Ball trough diode checked as well

Still. Same issues happens. Game plays fine all through aside from when the ball locks in upper left saucer. Once this happens, game stops. ball does not eject into
lane and you'll have to tilt the game to get the game to continue. If I pick up the ball from the ball lock saucer and manually place it into the trough, the last trough
switch doesn't see it and I can't continue the game unless I tilt the game. Anyone have any ideas?

#3 4 years ago

Yes it's back. I thought I fixed it but it's back.

#4 4 years ago

Now pop bumper and left slingshot are activating when upper left ball lock switches engage sporadically. I think this column is my issue. I'll have to change diodes
along this column to find my culprit. I hope I'm right.

#5 4 years ago

Ok So here's a recap of my problem and troubleshooting performed so far.. The game fully works aside from the left kick out hole. Once a ball locks in the kick out hole, it stays there and a new ball never ejects. The only way to get the ball to eject is to tilt the game. This energizes the solenoid to eject. Here's some of the troubleshooting done so far:

The entire colum/row of the matrix wiring was tested in continuity test so all wires are connected properly.
Every diode along the entire colum/row was unsoldered removed and tested. No issues there.
Every capacitor .05uf 100v was replaced along the matrix.
J4 on the mpu and driver board were re-pinneed
Continuity was checked from the ball lock leaf switch back to the mp connector. No issues there.
Game was placed into switch test. Leaf witch wires were shorted before the diode and a proper switch number came up every time. No issues.
Tested switches in switch test starting from switch numbers 40 to 1. No issues found.

Not sure what I'm missing here. The ball locks in the upper left saucer and doesn't launch a ball into the trough unless I tilt it.

#7 4 years ago

Does anyone have a good set of roms? I want to make sure it's not my roms that are the problem. Please email them if possible

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 3.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Barakawins1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nine-ball-left-ball-lock-woes-need-some-troubleshooting-tech?tu=Barakawins1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.