(Topic ID: 255248)

Stern Nine Ball - Left Ball Lock issues thread - Fixed!!!!

By Barakawins1

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

861EA188-A328-4C4A-A464-0C142047CE4C (resized).jpeg
F7D17230-0707-405F-B872-4DD6200438E3 (resized).jpeg
3D102A77-4E94-4E64-8C06-F0216E146A79 (resized).jpeg
5C762555-59E6-4832-836A-B7D7E335D502 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191128_115733.jpg
IMG_20191128_115733.jpg
sterndevelopment1 (resized).jpg
4D42BC95-A11D-430B-81D0-ADC40D5A39B9.gif
20191121_110324 (resized).jpg
724C27E0-B759-4B82-8E55-5089337D2D16 (resized).jpeg
E3B7A8C1-BFDB-4EFE-8319-1792AAA324B8 (resized).jpeg
772D1460-3C18-4216-B11B-3EF611FF8361 (resized).jpeg
Nineball_SolenoidDriverBoard_repro.pdf (PDF preview)
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.04.54 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.04.13 PM (resized).png
Nineball_Slingshot_Wiring1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

manual page 17 has the wire colors and connectors for the switches

If you need the mpu200 schematics the seawitch ones on ipdb have good scans

#4 4 years ago

What information isn't there in the manual?

switch 34=lock lane kickout, strobe is yellow-red, diode---|>---, switch, return is grey
switch 38=lock lane middle switch, strobe is yellow-red, diode----|>----, switch, return is white-brown
switch 39=lock lane top switch, strobe is yellow-red, diode-----|>-----, switch, return is brown-yellow

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

The reason Nineball has a ROM revision of 60 (!) is that the programmer for this game (a guy named Robert Quinn) was very inexperienced and did some dumb things in the switch detection loop. Specifically, he looks for switch transitions (going from open to closed), and not switch-states. Thus, if the scanning loop misses a switch transition (because it was busy doing something else, or because the transition was very fast/noisy), then the game-state gets screwed up, and will never "rediscover" that the switch is actually closed. Thus, switch-test is totally fine (the switch is actually registering), but in game-play will get missed.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were 60 internal revisions of 9 ball, but the only released ones ever found are 58, 59, and 60.

That setup would not entirely be his fault, as that's the way all Bally/Stern games perform their switch scanning/debouncing. With few changes (i.e. addition of speech command, addition of 7 digits, and a change in the sound code backend) all stern mpu200 games use the same core OS. If he made heavy use of the delayed switch timing feature Stern games added to be able to deal with delayed events (Bally never bothered to do it this way, and Williams did it another way, thanks to the extra ram available on system 7) even those switch events can be lost.

The part that would be his fault was the whole way the game has to reset the drops, and drop each during every hit. I'm sure on paper the way the ruleset looked was pretty good, but the reset the drops things is really sloppy.

I like how the single drop target if in the state of too many threads running will score and never reset, for the same reason.

At this point I think 9 ball is due for a complete rewrite. Too bad I don't still have mine or it'd probably be in progress right now. It would be a good test of a hybrid OS, Stern backend reading the switches, and a williams-like front end doing the actual processing on them. Requires a new Weebly board with the extra ram and rom capabilities.

The other alternate is resurrection of an old project to recreate the source code for all classic stern games. 9 ball was never gotten around to as you have to start with some and no one volunteered to do it (despite it being one that should be documented, for exactly the reasons you state re: the software getting confused where the balls are).

If this is actually what causes all the woes in 9 ball, it wouldn't be that hard to add a state test for each of the lock and trough switches, periodically compare the states, and when the state changes, execute the switch. (This is how williams' mutliball works.... the trough switches in those games go to a RETURN when noticed by the software, and there's a separate thread that runs watching the trough switches all the time before deciding what to do about it)

Who wants to test any of these ideas on their actual machine? You'd need a rom burner and (possibly) a way to utilize a larger rom footprint, either via the Oliver method, or have a weebly mpu board with the 512 rom capability.

#16 4 years ago

Quench your lamp driver schematic while saying nine ball is actually for flight 2000...

here is the corrected one someone sent me a while ago

NineBall Lamp matrix (resized).jpgNineBall Lamp matrix (resized).jpg
#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Update: I've managed to isolate this issue to a mis-wire by the prior owner at the left slingshot. If anyone has wiring photos for the two left slingshot switches
under the playfield that would be fantastic. I need to see which lugs the .05uf capacitor attaches to, Which lugs the diode attaches to and there is a white/brown wire and white/yellow wire which also attaches to the lugs. Thanks in advance. This should fix it all.

Even if this fixes your issue I'm going to move forward with the rom deep-dive and make a run at the core issues with the switch handling. I know Oliver did this years ago, but that fix needs some kind of rom expander to work. I'll see if I can shoehorn it into the normal rom footprint and take a different pass at it.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Some of the left side of your diagram is missing.

Yup, I know - the guy that sent it to me only sent that part!

The info I actually need on it is the lamp assignments to decode the software (you can tell what the code is doing based on the lamps it's lighting/unlighting) - that was my focus.

Didn't help the OP if he was looking for the solenoid wiring though.

Somewhere I have a 9 ball manual I'll have to dig it out and see what's in it.... at least I think I have a manual.

#34 4 years ago

Just from a preliminary disassembly and glance at the code I can tell there are definitely some errors in it - there's a couple of branches into locations that have no valid code. Investigation continues....

Early code from every manufacturer has errors and quirks in it - for instance, different compilers were used and some of them compile the code into 3 byte (extended) for a zero page instead of 2 bytes.... sometimes different in the same object code. I have to manually tweak each of these to have them assemble with my "modern" (ie. 2006) cross compiler.

The short-term goal is getting the code base to compile true to the original before any documentation and modification occurs.

I always thought the business with the drop bank going up and dropping a bunch of targets was very clumsy and cumbersome and it's something I'd like to change - but wondering how and still keep the spirit of the rules the same.

I forget if the bank resets and re-drops your progress on EVERY hit, or just on valid hits to the next ball? So if you have 1 and 2 earned, and you hit 5 instead of 3, does it reset? Or does it only reset when you hit 3, with 5 remaining down?

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

Each time you hit the "current" ball number (the one with the blinking light in front of it), it resets the bank, advances the current ball to the next highest number, and then knocks down each of the targets lower than that number (one at a time) in order.

So, in answer to my question, it doesn't reset the drop bank when you don't hit the current ball number.

My only interest in the game is fixing the software.

#43 4 years ago

Update on code:

Codebase is disassembled into stern pigs macros and compiles successfully. Now documenting flags for the code and thinking about possible solutions to the ball handling, as well as crunching the code down as much as possible so it continues to fit into the 2x2732 eproms. Might have to sacrifice some things to do, there's not much free space in the stock footprint.

I can see they tried to implement a williams-like approach to the trough switches and keeping track of balls. The thing I remember most about the flaws in the game were that the mutliball would end early, or the game would put 2 balls into the shooter lane at times. Williams solved this kind of issue with careful switch timing/checking coding. (Stern solved this later on in Catacomb, when I had a catacomb, it was very difficult to get the ball logic fooled. Now, if I had catacomb completely disassembled as well, I could just look and see how they did it there. It MIGHT be the different trough design with the vertical switches. Flight 2000 seems to be ok too, but that software was written by Pfutz and he certainly did things in a different manner)

#45 4 years ago

https://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=887

He's listed as such on IPDB.

Also, the way it's coded leans towards him. I didn't realize he coded Seawitch as well I should really take a deeper look at some of these. He definitely has a style that comes through in the code from classic stern all the way up through the system 11 stuff.

I don't see him listed for Iron Maiden, but it's showing he did Quicksilver as well. Of course, IPDB could be wrong (for instance they insist on keeping the information on 9 ball saying it has mpu100 version, impossible, and that there were 60 revisions of code. This was printed in the Pinball: Lure of the Silver Ball book which is full of lore similar to saying George Washington cut down a cherry tree and didn't lie about it. There have only ever been 3 versions of 9 ball found in the wild, 58, 59, and 60. Developmental versions for ALL games are 60+ revisions... they just are. Probably more accurate to say that there are 600 revisions for each game.)

IPDB sources its info from the public so it's a little better than a wiki but still the facts need to be verified. I've not heard or seen any interviews with Pfutz but I'd love to bs with him for hours sometime. I like his elegance in some of the ways he did stuff. As far as sheer audacity goes though I like Eugene Jarvis' style, he has so many moments of obvious impatience and hacks getting his cool stuff going that it ends up being admirable that it actually works as well as it does. AFAIK he generated a lot of the classic williams sounds back in the day by typing random crap into the sound generator and noting the results.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Very cool that you can see the "tell" of individual programmers in their code!

When you're recreating source code, you recognize 'signatures' in it.... and specifically for williams stuff, you can tell who really understood APPL and who didn't. It comes down to who respects the structure of the programming environment and who ignored it. I don't think they had code auditors then (or even later) who looked at the code and said "now, this is poor programming practice to do it this way, you should do it the way the coding bible says to....."

You can really see it in the way they did optimization, shaving bytes here and there.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Since you have brought up Catacomb, during Catacomb multi-ball if a ball lands back in the saucer it stays there, which sort of diminishes the effect of multi-ball.
Would there be any way the code could be changed to force the saucer to kick the ball(s) back out onto the play field during multi-ball?

Of course. Anything can be changed. I wish people would start requesting changes on games I still have so I don't have to depend on others to test! Lightning needs this fix, too.

Ah, I could play "boy, I wish I kept this game...." as I had every single one of the mpu200 series at one point except for Iron Maiden and Ali, all lined up in chronological order. I've even forgotten some of the romhacks I've had my hand in and people have had to remind me. Thankfully gmail keeps email forever or I wouldn't even have copies of some of them.

You get an eprom burner yet so you can beta test this stuff or do you have someone close that can do it? I recommend everyone get Weebly's mpu board so you can use the 27512 eprom socket, they burn quick, they're cheap, and it's a lot easier to do one chip vs. 2 every time you need to change something. I burned 6-7 chips in about an hour yesterday testing ideas out on Meteor. My top spins on Meteor so far are in the 70-80 range

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Weird. The big issue is why the trough isn't kicking out another ball when you initially lock one! You should be knocking those targets down to get the ball out into multiball, but with the ball that kicks out after lock and not your fingers LOL. Is it possible you need to add another ball? Flaky trough switch?
All I got, keep at it... you'll get this resolved eventually!

I'm moving even farther into understanding the codebase. The guy that wrote it was incorrect on how some of the operating system works (he's trying to catch momentary switch closures instead of looking in the history register, for instance, to keep track of balls). As soon as I figure out what flags should be set for which modes I'm going to revamp the entire way it's set up. Right now it's just a kludge. You can tell it didn't work right in testing and they just shipped it when it was "good enough".

I do have to wonder if another programmer was helping out as there as 2 different coding styles evident in the code.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

That second one is easy to reproduce, because the cause (stupid coding) is obvious.
(I forget if this is on ANY ball, or only after a ball is locked, and I'm too lazy to go fire up my Nine Ball and check) - when the trough kicks a ball to the plunger it HAS to see the plunger lane switch, or it assumes the ball didn't make it... and then, regardless of whether it saw the ball go back into the trough, it kicks the outhole kicker again, to try to get a ball to the plunger. If the trough switch fails to register (or the programmer is only looking for the transition and misses it) [or if a troublemaker player holds the plunger in so the ball can't get to the switch!], out comes a second ball.
Larry DeMar always called the trough lane switch "the least reliable switch in all of pinball" (it gets dirty, it gets mangled, etc.) so depending on it in this manner is just dumb.

Here's the code snippets in question:

L5B3E:
enable_solenoid_06 $14 ;outhole
enable_solenoid_0f $3c ;time waster
enable_solenoid_0f $00 ;time waster
loadb $ff ;wind timer for this routine
storebmem $0063 ;save in timer for virtual col6 row0

So, when the ball is launched out of the outhole, it wastes a little time enabling a non-existant solenoid (why stern never seemed to use their own "delay" function I'll never know), then it sets a timer to start this routine again.

Here's the shooter lane switch routine, in its entirety:

;shooter lane
L5B83:
loadb $00
storebmem $0063 ;clear the outhole virtual switch timer
return

All it does is negate the re-entry of the outhole switch. Incredibly stupid to rely on the one switch for this stuff.... I mean, there's 3 switches right in the trough that you can test instead to see where the balls are! Meanwhile, there's code to use continuous solenoids as if they were momentaries.... but depending on the same technique of delayed reaction. It is actually possible for timed switch events to get missed, and if this happens, the solenoid would lock on. There needs to be some monitor program that can watch over all this stuff and restart it if something goes awry.

Shooter lane switch misadjusted or stuck closed in any way, messes up the outhole (and by extension, the ball count... although I don't think the ball count actually counts the shooter lane....)

The challenge will be identifying all the flags and what their purposes are, and fitting any kind of fix into the romspace available. There already several places where they jump to the next instruction (waste of 3 bytes), or there's duplication in code blocks that can be streamlined if needed.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from CoreyStup:

I fixed the drop targets and trough handling in Nineball years ago, but we never got it out to too many testers. Not enough people had the game or eprom burners, I guess. I also made some rule changes that some liked, some didn't (frobozz hated a few I did). I did have to remove some of the extra stuff (like coin handling) as it was super close to 8K to begin with. Then someone else took that binary image and put some back in but made it require 16K. A way better solution for the big rewrite is to use nvrams mpu and utilize much more rom and ram than the mpu-200 has.
slochar get an eprom emulator. Your debug cycle will be 100x faster than burning eproms. LMK if you want to borrow one, I have many.

The slowest thing is the erasing but I can do 40 at a clip so that's not too bad. Eprom emulators are too damn expensive!!

Now, if you have some kind of debugging setup that I can attach to an actual machine, that would be helpful. Although a moot point since I don't have access to a 9 ball machine.

Lots of people don't want to get into burning eproms I run into it all the time... or the other saw that people play is "it's not from the manufacturer of the game so it's not good so I'm not going to install it". As we're proving from this 9 ball exercise (and you probably noticed as well if you went 100% into the code way back when) is that just because you worked at a pinball company, doesn't mean you knew what you were doing.

Eproms burners are ridiculously cheap today and in the case of the minipro I'm currently using, fast enough. 2732's burn in 20 seconds or less so the eprom emulator wouldn't do much - unless you have a wireless setup that I can leave installed in the machine and squirt code via wifi down to it! THAT would be a game changer. Although since I'm working on 5-6 games at a clip maybe less so.

I do automatically install a ZIF socket in every MPU board I have though.

#101 4 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

That is one of the other classic frequently seen bugs in the game. As you say, it's totally dependent on seeing those targets drop when it pulls the solenoid. If a solenoid or switch is bad, the game is dead. But even if everything is working, the programmer's insistence on seeing the target DROP (switch going from open to closed) rather than just seeing it DOWN (switch closed) causes problems when those transitions are missed in the thick of things. So when a million things are going on - it's counting up a recent 173,000 hit on the single drop, you've just ripped a great maxed-spinner shot, and it clips the #2 target on its way into the lock with #1 still flashing... it missed the #2 target transition, and now it sits in the hole with the #2 solenoid going "click click click click" forever. If you open the glass and reach in and lift up the #2 target and then it drops back down, the game will proceed.

Thanks for describing it farther so I know what to add.

1 week later
#119 4 years ago

Have you replaced those caps? They sound too sensitive.

The extra ball coming out in the shooter lane is a symptom of the software issues I'm still looking into.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

After the original fixing it up when I got it Nine Ball was working fine as far as locks and multiball for a couple years. The previous league session it went down where the ball would drain and occasionally not spit out another ball. You would have to power cycle the game in this state. No matter what once it lost the balls it could not find them until a reboot. Seemed like it was only happening in multiplayer games.
I found that the middle lock switch was a bit dirty and sometimes was closing and opening fast when the game vibrated, but the main issue (i think) was the outhole kicker. Sometimes when it would kick a ball to the shooter lane the kicker arm was sticking at full throw and causing the trough balls not to sit on the switches correctly. Cleaned the lock switches and fixed the sticky kicker and it seems fine again and survived 4 sets of four player games and a bunch of other random play.
Another software bug I noticed in Nine Ball is similar to the Meteor sound bug but it eventually resolves itself unlike some meteor versions. If the NVRAM is not filled with zeroes there is a good chance the background will be wrong. The background sound (and test) will be funky until you finish a game. At the end of the game the software corrects whatever RAM value causes the wrong sound. Then it is fine forever unless the ram gets corrupt from booting another game software or whatever reason. I chased that problem around thinking a board had an issue until I let it finish a game.

Added these to the list of things to do. The game should be able to deal with multiple switch closures without going crazy. They test the switch for debouncing and then forget that they did so, and randomly will do it again.

Since I just wrote a 'test_switch_closed' routine for my new meteor code, I'll be able to add that to 9 ball as well - the really large issue is that semi-large swaths of code might have to be written unless all of the switch testing 9 ball currently does in assembly can be converted to my new function I should end up with some space then. After 5-6 switch tests I'll be ahead of the curve since the new function will be 'test_switch_closed switch#' and then a 2 or 3 byte function to react to it, instead of lda $34 ora $39 anda #$03 cmpa #$03 bne somewhere which is what most of the switch tests currently are. (10 bytes). I tagged into the checklamp function to be able to do this but I'll need a free ram byte somewhere.... which I can probably pick up after I rewrite the lamp blinking routines which hog 5 bytes they don't even use (they're as if flags need a blink matrix.... they don't.....)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 3.00
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 959.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nine-ball-left-ball-lock-schematic-needed?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.