Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210221_181638.jpg
IMG_20210221_181623.jpg
#1 3 years ago

I searched the forums and could not find this specific issue. If I overlooked it I apologize. I have Stern Nine Ball with an Alltek MPU, and it boots with no problem. The 7 digit displays (all 5) are alternating numbers in sequence. For example, if every score display had a score of 0000000 all the "ones" will illuminate 000000"0" then the "tens" will illuminate 00000"0"0 and then the "hundreds 0000"0"00 etc. This also includes the ball count and credit count display. It illuminates about a second and goes dark and relights in unison with the other displays' "Ones", "Tens" "Hundreds" etc. Several digits will light at the same time on each display but all 5 are in sequence of "Ones", "Tens", "Hundreds" etc. no matter the score on each display. It is not a strobe where all 7 digits go out at once but more of a wave of numbers alternating simultaneously. The MPU is version 9.1 and it did not do this when 1st installed. I've tried plugging and replugging the "J" connectors. Any suggestion?

#2 3 years ago

I'd try narrowing it down to the mpu or one of the displays. Sometimes a problem with one display can cause issues with the other displays too. With the game off, unplug all but one display. Boot up and see if problem persists. If ok, turn off and plug in next connector and try again etc.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I tried unplugging each display and they each do the same thing.

#4 3 years ago

Are you sure all the jumpers on the board are set correctly? I acquired an Alltek mpu recently and noticed there are two jumpers on the board (for Clock Speed) in addition to the dip switches. Make sure they're set for Stern MPU-200. (Note mine are not set for that in the pics below, I'd need to move both jumpers over a pin to the left in order to do so).

IMG_20210221_181623.jpgIMG_20210221_181623.jpgIMG_20210221_181638.jpgIMG_20210221_181638.jpg
#5 3 years ago

Yes, I just went and double-checked that I had changed them. The jumpers are set for Sten MPU200. I have contacted Alltek and Dave replied on a Sunday. He wanted to see a video so I have sent him one. Thanks again for the suggestion.

#6 3 years ago

I didn't even notice those jumpers till now but when I was putting an Altek in my EBD, I tested it in my Stern Lightning too and it worked fine in both games.

#7 3 years ago

If you have the original Solenoid Driver Board (SDB), measure the voltage at TP2 on it. If it's less than 170 volts, you may have an issue with the big C26 filter capacitor on it (failure or bad connection). Be careful there are high voltages in that area of the SDB.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If you have the original Solenoid Driver Board (SDB), measure the voltage at TP2 on it. If it's less than 170 volts, you may have an issue with the big C26 filter capacitor on it (failure or bad connection). Be careful there are high voltages in that area of the SDB.

Ding, ding, ding, We have a Winner! That was it. The voltage was 40V. I had another SDB board on hand and swapped it and the displays are working as they should. I really appreciate all the help and input.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 199.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nine-ball-alternating-digits-on-score-display-simultaneously?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.