10411009_978419392172010_5271112581128433360_n.jpg
jmD2Q.jpg
tumblr_m6i4lmB4rs1r0a19h.jpg
not_bacon.jpg
ultra_girl.jpg
image.jpg
20151014_192720.jpg
20151014_192727.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Off2War.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#78 8 years ago

Got around to unboxing a Metallica LE i bought at the start of the year which had been in storage. With 0 plays on it this is how the playfield looked out of the box from factory, these swirls or scratches were all over the payfield. Long story short but after 12 weeks of investigation from the distributor to Stern i received a personalised email from Gary himself claiming this is normal as all playfields are "unique" He refused to do anything about it

118.png118.png

110.png110.png

119.png119.png

113.png113.png

108.png108.png

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from Donnyman:

Wtf, that ain't cool of Gary. It's like the playfield glass shattered on top of it and was poorly cleaned up

It was as though it had not been cleared or buffed correctly, noticed it as soon as i pulled it out of the box. The distributor even claimed they had never seen one come out of the box looking like that and claimed it had been played on, the distributor sent a tech out to investigate the machine who took numerous videos and photos of the machine, to send back to Stern and Gary himself, he even noticed markings underneath the pf which suggested (based on his experience in the industry) that the playfield was flawed and not meant to be sent out, how ever it still got installed in the machine and sent out. So how can the Stern distributor say they have never seen anything like this before, yet Gary can send me a personalised email telling me how a playfield is cleared and that this is completely normal and not taking responsibility for what is clearly a defective playfield which has been made and sent out???

#86 8 years ago

Couldnt agree more with what has been said, and yes after this experience i would encourage everyone to inspect their machines before taking possession of them, machines can no longer be kept nib to open later on down the track only to find an issue such as this with Stern wiping their hands of the matter.
I was lucky enough to have some really decent contacts in pinball who stepped in for support and after more then 12 painful and stressful weeks of dealing with this, the distributor finally agreed to take back the machine and refund the money.

Guys check your machines, don't let them sit in the boxes unopened for years to come!!!

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

The distributor needs to really put pressure on Stern, they should be the one with the leverage. If not, you can send Gary a "personalized email" showing you smashing a Gary Bobblehead and also post that on Stern's Facebook since they recently seem so interested in the "where is Gary" crap. I would have trouble accepting that playfield for the money spent, and would perhaps put it on route. If you pay for pins with AMEX they double the warranty so you could file a claim that way. This is also a good point about NIB, I LOVE FS NIB of old pins like say a TSPP, but wow this is the SCARY side of opening them later. Perhaps Stern would have accepted the claim if you would have opened the box right away, it shouldn't matter, but who knows how Stern thinks

The distributor actually claimed that they cant do anything with issues such as this, they have to "present a case" to Stern, and then its up to Stern what happens, which is pretty pathetic in itself when we are paying upwards of $10k for a pinball machine. Basically no one wanted to accept responsibilty for this "one off" machine which had been sent out

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm wondering why they didn't at least send you a new PF to placate you. They did this for me as I complained about ink splotches as the silkscreen was failing toward the end of the last TSPP run... my earlier one didn't have noticeable glops and runs in the artwork.
They admitted this was the issue but all of the last run had them so he said he'd pick me the brightest one they had but warned it would also have some ink streaks, etc...
He wasn't kidding. The car in center looks like it's actually on fire... and the silkscreen imperfections were on this one too. What can ya do? At least it didn't have the more obvious sanding lines of the earlier model. So it's always a crapshoot.
Sure you'll never bother putting in the extra PF they send but at least the customer feels he got something of value. I was fine with it...
maybe sell it one day

They didn't send me a new playfield or suggest any solution to the problem as Gary clearly believes there is nothing wrong with it, quoted by the man himself in his email - "As noted on the cover of our game manuals, each pinball machine has unique characteristics that make it a one of a kind American made product. Each machine will have variations in appearance resulting from differences in the machine’s particular wood parts, individual silk screened art and mechanical assemblies."
Also another fact to consider, is that the sales of Stern Pinball machines in Australia may be so insignificant when compared to the amount Gary sells in the rest of the world that he simply does not care about his fan base down under, maybe it was shipped here on purpose thinking it would never come back to him, or that no one would notice. Someone in that factory knows about this playfield. Or is there simply a lack of quality control??

As for selling it i no longer have the machine as its with the distributor. Im hoping if they decide to sell it in the future that they are honest with the buyer and it is heavily discounted

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hopefully you guys have been in the hobby long enough to know that EVERY game is actually play tested before it is shipped from the Stern factory.
If you ever come to Chi Town, make sure you call for a tour.
If it takes 30 minutes to adjust all the features, or find some stubborn intermittent problem, then that's hundreds of balls that traveled over that unwaxed playfield.
Of course if Stern did not test each game before shipping, then it would take you 4 hours of frustration to find and fix what the Stern tech could fix in 15. And you would spend a week of your time crying about it on Pinside.
You need to wax your game before you put it into service, and when you wax it, all those little abrasions will be gone.
Once you put 1,000,000,000 little scratches of your own on the game, they even make a product called Novus2 that will not only remove those scratches, but polish your playfield like a mirror.

Novus 2 and all those other little magical wax products out there did not remove or make a difference to any of those scratches on the playfield..

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Obviously, I did not see your playfield in person, but your pictures sure make it look like any other NIB game with standard game test scratches.
I'll bet it did not take your distributor more than 10 minutes to buff out that game to a mirror shine and sell it to the next, very happy, owner.....

If im paying $10k+ for a NIB pinball machine i expect it to look like new when i get it, not covered in scratches that i need to buff out to make it look how it should from factory. If thats what the playfield is supposed to look like after numberous plays, then so be it, but i should be the one putting those "swirls" on the playfield from first plays on the machine. If you go to a car dealership and buy a brand new car, would you take delivery of it if it was all scratched up? I dont think so. Regardless of whatever it is im buying, if im buying something new i expect it to look new. As far as im aware, if these "swirls or scratches" were in fact caused from the ball during a few test plays, why did they not buff out with novus 2 or the like? I have owned machines which are over 20 years old with tens of thousands of games on them which looked nothing like that. The tech that the distributor sent out to inspect the machine even claimed he had seen nothing like that before, and it actually got back to me that the distributor did not want to take the machine back into their possession as they "wouldnt be able to sell it"

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Maybe because 90% of your customer base isn't going to take a camera pic with a flash from 2 inches away from the PF. Game on and playing it I bet you don't even remotely notice an issue.
I'm with VID on this one. That should have buffed out just fine and I'm also curious if it was like that under the plastics. I had every bit of that on a couple of my NIB games. Used a swirl mark remover compound and then waxed the games and they both look great.

Theses marks were noticed as soon as the machine came out of the box, glass on, in a low lit room by all who were there to help unbox. The coffin especially, you could hardly see through it. Yes the photos were taken "with a flash from 2 inches away from the PF" because i was required to take photos to show the distributor, and that was the only way i could make the damage in the photo... Go take a photo of scratches such as this on your car, pretty sure you would have to take the photo the same way to see it in a picture.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The distributor did not want the game back because they already made the sale, lol. Do you really think the game is sitting in their back room all folded up, unsaleable?
-
Stop buying NIB games. Your expectations are too high for a piece of commercial coinop equipment; regardless of the price.
Learn how to properly buff out scratches and do routine maintenance on a $1k machine.
There are 6,931 pinball titles in the world right now to choose from. You can probably get 3-4 of most titles for your $10k.

The distributor did not want the game back because in their own words they claimed to have never of seen anything like this before and stated they do NOT come nib looking like the way mine did, they actually accused me of having hundreds of games on it and thought i was just trying to scam a new playfield. They asked to see a photo of how many plays were on the actually machine to prove what i was saying was correct and true.

Do you know what new in box actually means? Your missing the whole point champ, the thread is about Stern NIB playfield quality and i have added to it by showing how a NIB LE game was made and distributed. If you are happy to pay upwards of 10k for a machine and have it delivered in the condition mine was, good luck to you then. Most people out there generally take something back and demand a refund or a replacement when they purchase goods that are faulty or not as described. Im spending 10k+ and your saying my expectations are to high?? So if i was to buy another nib title from Stern i should expect flaws or issues i am then supposed to rectify myself? Dont think so buddy

Would love to know how many people actually think this is normal and acceptable on a nib game. Anyone else opened their machine to see the same amount of swirls which cannot be buffed nor polished out by the average collector?

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Every pinball machine from Stern is used.
They play each one, you will see it if you ever go for the tour.
-
I bought a Russian side car motorcycle "new" and it had 19km on the odometer upon opening the crates.
Am I going to pout and cry about it?
Hell no.
I'd way rather the mechanics at the factory ride it around until it's fixed properly, than to have them ship it to me with some problem that would take me forever to diagnose and fix.
If it took THEM 10 miles of dicking around with it to fix it, how long would it have taken me???

344977.jpg

WOW....

Im all for testing the machine before it is sent out, the last thing i want is to set up my new pinball only to find something is not working correctly or at all. Everything a consumer buys is tested before being sent out. But let me ask you this, in the 19kms that your bike was tested was it delivered to you with scratches all over the paintwork form the 19kms then bike had travelled? Pretty sure if it did you would be crying about it mate, and also hitting up the dealer as to why your new bike which has only travelled 19kms looks the way it does with so little use. If this amount of damage is going to be done to the playfield within a few test games, why cant the manufacturer then buff or polish out these marks before it was sent if indeed these were caused from test plays.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Off2War.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nib-playfield-quality?tu=Off2War and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.