Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ledge
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 41 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

463642-i.jpg
463629-i.jpg
463632-i.jpg
images.jpg
cutting-veneer-large.jpg
344996-i.png
uncompressed.jpg
344977.jpg
10411009_978419392172010_5271112581128433360_n.jpg
jmD2Q.jpg
tumblr_m6i4lmB4rs1r0a19h.jpg
not_bacon.jpg
ultra_girl.jpg
image.jpg
20151014_192720.jpg
20151014_192727.jpg

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 3 years ago

People on pinside who rarely buy Stern games

tumblr_m6i4lmB4rs1r0a19h.jpg

jmD2Q.jpg

10411009_978419392172010_5271112581128433360_n.jpg

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

The expectation of condition is "new" not "used".

Every pinball machine from Stern is used.

They play each one, you will see it if you ever go for the tour.

-

I bought a Russian side car motorcycle "new" and it had 19km on the odometer upon opening the crates.

Am I going to pout and cry about it?

Hell no.

I'd way rather the mechanics at the factory ride it around until it's fixed properly, than to have them ship it to me with some problem that would take me forever to diagnose and fix.

If it took THEM 10 miles of dicking around with it to fix it, how long would it have taken me???

344977.jpg

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If a lot of play will minimize the appearance of these lines, is it axiomatic that newer Sterns with highly visible lines have probably been played infrequently? I recently didn't make an offer on a BDK because the play field lines were REALLY pronounced...and it did bother me a little because the seller was asking top $. Maybe I shoulda bought the game under the pre-text that the lines meant less evening of the surface area meaning the game was hardly ever played?

Yes, probably played VERY infrequently.

You can always pull up a plastic and see if the dimples have pounded the playfield flat or not.

uncompressed.jpg

#154 3 years ago

That's good to know and a good tip to boot!

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The distributor did not want the game back because they already made the sale, lol. Do you really think the game is sitting in their back room all folded up, unsaleable?
-
Stop buying NIB games. Your expectations are too high for a piece of commercial coinop equipment; regardless of the price.
Learn how to properly buff out scratches and do routine maintenance on a $1k machine.
There are 6,931 pinball titles in the world right now to choose from. You can probably get 3-4 of most titles for your $10k.

The distributor did not want the game back because in their own words they claimed to have never of seen anything like this before and stated they do NOT come nib looking like the way mine did, they actually accused me of having hundreds of games on it and thought i was just trying to scam a new playfield. They asked to see a photo of how many plays were on the actually machine to prove what i was saying was correct and true.

Do you know what new in box actually means? Your missing the whole point champ, the thread is about Stern NIB playfield quality and i have added to it by showing how a NIB LE game was made and distributed. If you are happy to pay upwards of 10k for a machine and have it delivered in the condition mine was, good luck to you then. Most people out there generally take something back and demand a refund or a replacement when they purchase goods that are faulty or not as described. Im spending 10k+ and your saying my expectations are to high?? So if i was to buy another nib title from Stern i should expect flaws or issues i am then supposed to rectify myself? Dont think so buddy

Would love to know how many people actually think this is normal and acceptable on a nib game. Anyone else opened their machine to see the same amount of swirls which cannot be buffed nor polished out by the average collector?

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Every pinball machine from Stern is used.
They play each one, you will see it if you ever go for the tour.
-
I bought a Russian side car motorcycle "new" and it had 19km on the odometer upon opening the crates.
Am I going to pout and cry about it?
Hell no.
I'd way rather the mechanics at the factory ride it around until it's fixed properly, than to have them ship it to me with some problem that would take me forever to diagnose and fix.
If it took THEM 10 miles of dicking around with it to fix it, how long would it have taken me???

344977.jpg

WOW....

Im all for testing the machine before it is sent out, the last thing i want is to set up my new pinball only to find something is not working correctly or at all. Everything a consumer buys is tested before being sent out. But let me ask you this, in the 19kms that your bike was tested was it delivered to you with scratches all over the paintwork form the 19kms then bike had travelled? Pretty sure if it did you would be crying about it mate, and also hitting up the dealer as to why your new bike which has only travelled 19kms looks the way it does with so little use. If this amount of damage is going to be done to the playfield within a few test games, why cant the manufacturer then buff or polish out these marks before it was sent if indeed these were caused from test plays.

#157 3 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

But let me ask you this, in the 19kms that your bike was tested was it delivered to you with scratches all over the paintwork form the 19kms then bike had travelled?

There were a few scratches and some dirt under the fenders.

I planned on painting the bike Soviet Red with gold trim, but after a while I decided that the black semi gloss was good enough.

Quoted from Off2War:

and also hitting up the dealer as to why your new bike which has only travelled 19kms looks the way it does with so little use.

Dealer??? I bought it still packed in it's wooden crates.

You put the engine back in it, put the battery in it, and then attach the side car. That way you register it with the State as a "kit", because there is no way that this hunk of Soviet era iron is going to pass an American emission test, lol.

You can drop the sidecar at any time if you just want to ride the bike.

You can't ride your Harley in the snow, but a 2 wheel drive Dnepr is right at home in snow or mud.

344996-i.png

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

because there is no way that this hunk of Soviet era iron is going to pass an American emission test, lol.

VW is in full agreement with you.

#159 3 years ago

I'm not sure if I buy this "test play" stuff. Sure they may bat some balls around in front of people for the tour but the normal mode of operation would be to set the machine to a burn-in mode and let the mechanical's fire away for a bit. They don't have time to shoot balls across each game off the line.

As an example the last Stern NIB i bought was a last-run TSPP. Besides the silkscreen imperfections beneath the CC the PF was like a mirror... one of the thicker coats I've seen on a Stern and there were NO small dimples, scratches or anything that would indicate a ball had ever traveled it's virgin-like surface No scuffs, no buffing swirls, no "angel hair" polishing marks... absolutely nothing.

The last WMS game I got NIB, MB, was also this way. Just a perfectly untouched PF.

But is IS a crapshoot buying NIB and while Stern may realize the importance of home buyers they haven't exactly gone whole hog in this direction. While most are probably as good as that last TSPP i got some are probably just "good enough" and out the door they go.

Here is the 'burbs around Wash DC I would swear ONLY collectors buy them. I just don't see them anywhere in the wild anymore.
Then again I don't hit the bars much anymore so maybe I'm missing them... too old and too married.

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm not sure if I buy this "test play" stuff.

Have you seen the balls Stern puts in the package for you to start your first game? I still have them all from the games Ive bought, RUSTY BALLS! Same ones they play test your machine with, every Stern I have bought I thoroughly clean the PF and put the factory supplied balls into a sock as a weapon for Douchebags that I encounter on the road.

#161 3 years ago

maybe Stern need to adopt a slip in test playfield protector for the main open playfield section to protect the playfield from any damage to the large open play area. Once testing is done slip out

or

like when you get mirror blades or even a new bath or even on new cars trucked to sales sites that has the removeable plastic film, the game is tested with one of these (but Clear so you can see the inserts) installed and it stays on until it gets to the customer to remove.

Probably a $5 part and $5 labour to install when would save all the angst and time of upset people. This way everyone gets a fresh minty playfield and what ever happens to the playfield - it happens on site or in the home. If it is damaged prior it will be obvious in the plastic as well.

I wonder if the wood they are using for playfields is from fast growth forests and not dried out enough before being turned into a product. If a timber product was allowed to dry out properly and then sanded it should be flat and if then rotary cut wouldn't produce close grain lines. Anyone have pictures of the underside of their playfields that have problems to identify the plywood cut type.

cutting-veneer-large.jpg

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Have you seen the balls Stern puts in the package for you to start your first game? I still have them all from the games Ive bought, RUSTY BALLS! Same ones they play test your machine with, every Stern I have bought I thoroughly clean the PF and put the factory supplied balls into a sock as a weapon for Douchebags that I encounter on the road.

lol I do dump those myself... they're all in a small box that sez "WTF can I do with these"? I don't think I run into enough DB's to use your suggestion. Can I melt them down?

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

lol I do dump those myself... they're all in a small box that sez "WTF can I do with these"? I don't think I run into enough DB's to use your suggestion. Can I melt them down?

I truly think tube sock weapon is the best use for them.

#164 3 years ago

Best choice since 93 images.jpg

#165 3 years ago

after seeing Joe's thread on his visit to Chicago Gaming / Churchill Cabinets the playfield plywood are rotary cut or plain slicing so don't think those close tight lines in the clear is grain

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstars-expo-updates-here

463632-i.jpg
463629-i.jpg
463642-i.jpg

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes I rub one out in my show car.

So... uh... start with Novus 3, or 2?

Asking for a friend.

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stop buying NIB games. Your expectations are too high for a piece of commercial coinop equipment; regardless of the price.

Oh come on vid, if my $4700 Pro can come looking like a polished show car from the factory why can't his 8k game be in at least the same condition. Something went on in the factory.

#168 3 years ago

Based on my admittedly limited experience buying NIB pins from Stern, they test that the game boots, and that the coils, lamps and flashers are working. They don't test all the switches (I had problems with 2 of them). It would make no sense for Stern to do play-testing, beyond a burn-in cycle with no balls in the game.

Having said that, I'm satisfied with Stern quality overall.

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh come on vid, if my $4700 Pro can come looking like a polished show car from the factory why can't his 8k game be in at least the same condition. Something went on in the factory.

Satan: (leans in and whispers in Paul's ear) What if his dealer carefully took the game out of the box, played it for an entire week and then returned it to the box with hotglue and staples?

Paul: Dealers are nice people, they would not do something like that......wait.....that sounds like something YOU would do!

Satan: The best part is; you will never know who play-tested the game. Stern, the dealer, or....ME!

Paul: (gasps)

Satan: Baahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Based on my admittedly limited experience buying NIB pins from Stern, they test that the game boots, and that the coils, lamps and flashers are working. They don't test all the switches (I had problems with 2 of them). It would make no sense for Stern to do play-testing, beyond a burn-in cycle with no balls in the game.

I've had 3 new Sterns, 2 were near flawless from the outset, but MET would have greatly benefited from more play testing at the factory... if not there is substantial risk everyone will be in for unexpected troubleshooting time (you, Stern, and your distributor). play...test...more!

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It would make no sense for Stern to do play-testing, beyond a burn-in cycle with no balls in the game.

It does not make sense, but Stern does test every switch and mech.

Here is a video if you have never been to the factory and seen the production line.

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It does not make sense, but Stern does test every switch and mech.

I think I can account for my MET Pro problems being due to the fact that mine was one of the first ones off the line. The test rigs may lag production by a few weeks.

#173 3 years ago

LOL, anything is possible..........

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There are 6,931 pinball titles in the world right now to choose from. You can probably get 3-4 of most titles for your $10k.

well said.. too true.. ill take the 3/4 pins

instead of trying your luck at a NIB....

be prepared for a possible clean, buff or redecal on your NIB !!!...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside