You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TYSMIHA.jpg
Untitled-1_(resized).jpg
wrong_way_addams_(resized).jpg
barbie-doll-broken_(resized).jpg
lkjTu0Wm5WaUZSWSz8LH8UY9xTrSOnbDSNO-HdjA7_JF9qNn-jReLxcLOSCTdvJYgpPkdB8=s128_(resized).jpg
troll-detected-radar-45b7_(resized).png
warranty_(resized).png
91f88637fbdc1bd0e6ed869a4f3f2342_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
stern-waranty_(resized).jpg
IMG_0984_(resized).jpg
IMG_0985_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

get used to it, just the way it is until people vote with their $ differently

It will not matter, people forget everytime Stern releases their next game.
It has happened for over 15 years.
(Drum roll)

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

It's pretty clear to me that there are people who should never buy NIB, if you're looking for perfection just buy an HUO that you can inspect/play before buying. You'll probably even save hundreds.

NOTE:
There is no such thing as a "perfect" game, just like there is no such thing as a "free lunch".

Thousands $ in many cases for HUO games with less than 2500 plays.
All with games "broken in" and problems generally identified.
Those that buy their games and then report "played under 200 games" are by far in most cases complete liars.
There are examples where this is true, but these occur with large collections, or very rare games brought out for special occasions. The closest I think I ever had with my games was HUO AGB, and that was still under 1000 games before being recrated, not 200 games.

"Getting the new box smell" is not a justification to buy NIB game, as a person is just looking for a means to be challenged.
This is such a first world issue that is so beyond comprehension to most people.
20 years ago, under the same conditions of sale, many collectors would refuse to buy NIB, PREFERRING to purchase a used game.
However, even used games fully serviced have issues after shipping.

Buying a NIB game means you are an informed buyer who know how to troubleshoot basic issues that can occur when a game leaves the factory (or warehouse, shop, or dealer) and believes that a game is something you may want to keep for a long time.
People that argue this point and continually refute it, generally don't stick around long in this hobby.
They just don't, and they are some type of people who move onto some other hobby, when they get "bored" (AKA no interest in maintaining their games).
I never say a person has to be a pinball expert on technical repair work, but understanding the functionality and most common causes of problems is critical to avoid a bad experience.
This of course is not going to help with game scrapes on cabinets and playfields.
Another alternative is simply ask for help while unboxing by an experienced collector, which many people do, and most should do.
If owner wants to "plug n' play" and not check anything after unboxing (including flipping up the playfield to see what is going on underneath the hood), that is their prerogative, it is their machine.
If they want to set the game on fire using gasoline out of frustration for fun, do so, if that makes them happy.

For example, when I received my NIB METPM, I had to retap the leg bolt plates of which 2 out of 4 were improperly threaded. The soft metal used for the plates in comparison to the hardened acorn bolts (which are not really that hardened under galvanization either), does not help matters. I thought about straight up replacing them this time, instead of messing with the plates down the road. However, the plates have ALWAYS been softer metal even during BLY/WMS days for a number of reasons. Did I scream at Stern? No, I called my distributor to notify Stern to conduct QC on the issue, and did the work myself.

Hell, I have had all sorts of problems even AFTER I have done a full "10 point check" before powering them up. This is just part of the nature of the devices. I am not saying that a giggled playfield edges are acceptable, but this is actually quite minor in terms of pinball machines, and easily repairable (bondo and sanding). The Sparky scratch could have happened even BEFORE it was installed in the game, which sucks even worse as it should have been caught, but who knows. This can be fixed with a small brush, dab of paint, and micro sanding brush. Reparations could be asked for a new Sparky, if Stern decides to provide some measure of support here. Very fair, just call the distributor. Pick up the phone. Be prepared to replace Sparky yourself, it is not hard, but is a slight PITA.

If a person wants to state they are part of a "big boys" club in pinball, that means not just money, but experience and willingness to be calm and take appropriate action.
Most pinball owners don't wipe their a$$es with $100 bills, but most don't buy NIB pinball machines either.

1 week later
#180 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The damage could have occurred as the playfield was being reseated into the cabinet during the final inspection and no one could have known.

This is a definite possible cause. My last modern Stern has a very tight playfield in conjunction with the cabinet.
You have to fandangle a little to get it fully in the down locked position without forcing it, as the tolerances were very close.
However, my AGC games have even tighter cabinet dimensions, and vary from game to game, not just from each manufacturer.

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Fandangle (noun): a useless or purely ornamental thing.
Which, could easily be a pinball mod (in many cases).
I think he meant finagle? )

No, it was indirect sarcasm related to the posting.
See related verb meaning.
Some people caught the Captain Jack Sparrow moment.
Normal use would be finagle, but this "fit much better".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fandangle

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

My point was that if that were to happen now, if Ghostbusters had reversed art on some of their pins, for whatever reason, there would be a 500 page thread. Justifiable or not, I just wanted people to remember that there has always been manufacturing issues with pins and that it is not a recent thing. With social media, higher prices, and a new targeted customer base, it seems like quality control is a new problem, when it is not.

Many other people have said exactly the same thing, and were flamed for bringing it up, or not being "diplomatic". Reality is a harsh truth when it comes to manufacturing, warranties, expectations, and technical support with these amusement devices. The regulations are not yet written with private home owner consumers being the primary market, regardless of the sway of the times.

NIB game owners without an "extended 1 year warranty" from a distributor need to be savvy and knuckle up. However, this only covers functionality, not cosmetics.

Perhaps in the future distributors will offer "NIB flaw guarantee" options, but right now it is not offered, or at least none that I know. No major distributor in the 90s offered this either. At that time, it was considered completely absurd.

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

My Ecto Goggles didn't work (solder needed to be re-flowed on the wiring and connectors on the optos, bracket was bent and didn't line the optos up right), left ramp wouldn't register a shot, two of the PKE rollovers didn't work, pop bumper exit didn't work, one-way gate was too long and would get stuck on the Ecto Goggles, Slimer wasn't registering correctly, my left Scoleri target wasn't level with the playfield (stuck up about 1/8" from flush), right scoop was bent down and a ball couldn't enter, and a few other smaller things. It was well beyond the realm of things just needing a little adjustment. I think it got skipped in final inspection.

Very poor QC.
There is no way your machine was properly game tested before final wipedown.
Ecto Googles are an example.
Left ramp optos are another.
Things like this are not very easy to jostle during shipping.
A "10 point check" number was skipped.

Stern does not score points here.
I feel some changes in wind coming very soon across the entire market.

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I think they realize they have some QC issues to address, but at least new Stern owners aren't comparing the number of loose screws and bolts they are finding in the bottom of the cabinet upon delivery. I like what I see with GB. I hope they keep going in that direction. But when you see Spooky selling far simpler pins for premium bucks, I wonder if Stern doesn't just say f it and go back to a simpler pin knowing many of you will buy it regardless. I hope that doesn't happen, but why wouldn't it?

True, as "loose artifacts" DO happen during transport from manufacturer to distributor and distributor to customer/operator/private owner.

Part of life with all coin operated machinery.

The key is to make sure major parts are locked down.

Backglass light panels and speaker panels are notorious for not being prepared properly on used machines.

Do people know you can actually lock down playfields in BLY/WMS games using washers?
Sometimes little things do count.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nib-never-again?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.