You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TYSMIHA.jpg
Untitled-1_(resized).jpg
wrong_way_addams_(resized).jpg
barbie-doll-broken_(resized).jpg
lkjTu0Wm5WaUZSWSz8LH8UY9xTrSOnbDSNO-HdjA7_JF9qNn-jReLxcLOSCTdvJYgpPkdB8=s128_(resized).jpg
troll-detected-radar-45b7_(resized).png
warranty_(resized).png
91f88637fbdc1bd0e6ed869a4f3f2342_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
stern-waranty_(resized).jpg
IMG_0984_(resized).jpg
IMG_0985_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimjim66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 7 years ago

I do feel bad for you, because money is tight for a lot of people and purchasing something that costs thousands of dollars is difficult for a majority of people. Besides a house or car, it might be the most expensive purchase for most people. If the machine was going to an operator, the imperfections you have wouldn't have been that big of a deal. Since most pinballs are going into homes, quality control needs to be adjusted to their new market.

I do agree about not buying NIB for simple reasons.

1.99% of all machines depreciate so you are getting a better price on something that is slightly used. The pulling it out of a box excitement doesn't equal the amount of money you save by getting HUO for me. You can literally save hundreds of dollars.

2. There is a possibility you might get to play it first at a convention, on route or at a friends house first. You might like the theme, but not how something plays. Try before you buy. There are a lot of games that I love the theme, but the game play kept it off my must have list.

3. You get to examine it person before you take it home. If there is some sort of defect or blemish, you get to decide if it is something you can live with and not be at the mercy of a warranty. No need to really haggle over a price, I'm sure the seller is aware of the defect and has factored it into the sale.

4. You get to see if the game is fully supported. When I got my XMLE NIB, I was on pins and needles waiting to see which direction the software would go. I was lucky and the software ended up being great, beyond what I hoped. Before that, I do remember the Christmas software update that broke it. I didn't know which direction they were going to end up with it, and for a little while I had a sick feeling in my stomach until the next update came out putting the game of track again.

5. Some machines come with cool mods that you also get at a fraction of the price for by buying used. Colordmd, topper, protectors, etc..., if you don't like them you might be able to negotiate them from the price by having it removed, or sell them after you purchase the machine for an even better bargain.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Would you return a perfectly good flatscreen tv if there was a scratch on the back of it?

Interesting analogy. What if the scratch was on the bezel and was noticeable especially when the tv was off? If somebody paid 8k for a top of the line 80 inch tv and there was ANYTHING they did not care for, most would take it back. Returning a tv is a lot easier than returning a pinball machine. Look at Best Buy reviews, people have returned televisions for minute things and just pick up another brand.

When I heard Gary do one of his speeches, talking about the 3 legged stool, and charging thousands of dollars for limited edition machines, I knew that these types of things would happen. Many people that collect things want pristine, perfect things. Pinball machines are the antithesis of that. You have a steel ball banging on plastic and more wiring than a Ford Taurus.

Reality is, the more you charge, the more people are going to be picky as pinballs are now becoming part of home furnishings. Operators weren't as picky, because collecting money from the coin box was their biggest concern. Williams would slap different decals over cabinets without removing the old decals. Collectors would go ballistic over some of Williams practices today.

It is just a different clientele today, that was created by Stern. They did this by raising prices, making limited editions, and marketing to the home market.

Ask the restorers how picky their clients are. Heck, if the market hadn't changed from operators to the home market, you wouldn't even see restorers.

#151 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Of course you would return it. The question was if the scratch was on the back. Say where the wires and plugs all are. Where you wouldn't normally see it.
Someone would have to be mighty anal to box it back up, take it back and hope the next one's better. What would probably happen is the new one would have a defect in a much more obvious place. But some people go thru life chasing their tails like that.

The reason the tv analogy does not hold up, is you can take a tv back to the place of purchase and it can be 100% blemish free. It doesn't even have to have any scratch at all. You can claim you don't like the picture and actually have buyer's remorse. Watch the tv for a week and turn it back in for a refund. Some places have restocking fees, some places like Costco don't. Some give a store credit 1 to 1. Read the online reviews and see how common this is. Audio/videophiles are anal, and probably take their hobby to a whole new level of being picky compared to pinball collectors.

Try putting 200 plays on a machine then going back to a distributor and asking for a refund because you don't care for the flow.

Just pointing out the analogy is flawed as you don't need any reason, valid or not, to return a tv.

Proving my point, I see more and more comparisons to home furnishings, like tvs and refrigerators versus commercial equipment like air hockey tables, kiosks, or vending machines. As more machines go into the homes, for better or worse, you will see more threads like this.

1 week later
#189 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Game went to distributor, then to op, then to location. Nobody complained. Churn them and burn them.
LTG : )

Exactly. I remember a picture of Addams Family pins coming from Williams that had the side art facing the wrong way. A lot of those went to the operators. I don't know how many went out that way, but it was not an anomaly. (Example below: Most Addam's had the thing hand flicking the ball the other direction. I believe they used two right sides for these cabinets)

The good ole days weren't so perfect.

wrong_way_addams_(resized).jpgwrong_way_addams_(resized).jpg

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Mamushka:

From what I understand this only happened on early games (mine is like this). One side is correct and the other is backwards this was (supposedly) due to the fact that they did not have "left side" (reversed image) art for early games so "right side" art was used for both sides.

My point was that if that were to happen now, if Ghostbusters had reversed art on some of their pins, for whatever reason, there would be a 500 page thread. Justifiable or not, I just wanted people to remember that there has always been manufacturing issues with pins and that it is not a recent thing. With social media, higher prices, and a new targeted customer base, it seems like quality control is a new problem, when it is not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimjim66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nib-never-again?tu=jimjim66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.