You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TYSMIHA.jpg
Untitled-1_(resized).jpg
wrong_way_addams_(resized).jpg
barbie-doll-broken_(resized).jpg
lkjTu0Wm5WaUZSWSz8LH8UY9xTrSOnbDSNO-HdjA7_JF9qNn-jReLxcLOSCTdvJYgpPkdB8=s128_(resized).jpg
troll-detected-radar-45b7_(resized).png
warranty_(resized).png
91f88637fbdc1bd0e6ed869a4f3f2342_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
stern-waranty_(resized).jpg
IMG_0984_(resized).jpg
IMG_0985_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago

You can always dab it with some silver touch up paint and probably will never notice. That said, it's a bummer to be so excited to get something and find it flawed.

The damage to the sides of the playfield look like they dragged against something hard multiple times. I don't even know what could have caused that in the factory. Seems like a pretty freaky bit of damage that I haven't seen before. Give your distributor a call. I wouldn't get too upset until you are told that they won't take care of it.

#61 7 years ago

By not holding Stern or JJP to a higher standard, we start making these sorts of things ok. They're not ok. Now, it's not a major flaw that will be noticed over time, but someone in the factory should have pulled the playfield when it was damaged and a new one should have been used for shipping.

If I bought a brand new cell phone and the back casing was gouged, I would hardly ever notice since I put a case on it, but it's not ok for a phone manufacturer to let that sort of physical damage go out.

Yes, damage like this was more common in the 90s, but those were commercial games primarily. With the home market being so large, tighter QC needs to be in place.

I guarantee you that a playfield with damage like that would not have left Spooky's doors, and his margins are MUCH more thin than what Stern works with.

Now, it might be unreasonable to expect a whole new machine from Stern, but I would expect that they will try to make it right in some manner. Maybe some freebies or accessories. But this should be made right and not just ignored.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I get it about holding the company to a certain standard. However it seems like people are trying to hold them to a 100% zero defect perfection on every single machine they deliver. It isn't realistic. Instead of dealing with the issue calmly, talking to Stern and distrib and seeing if everyone ends up happy people jump on here posting threads with !!!!! in the subject and out come the pitchforks. Makes the whole community look like chicken little running around whining about the sky falling.

Right. What I'm saying is that there's a balance. The issue should be brought to light to Stern, and Stern should offer a solution or compensation of sorts. Stern needs to hear from the buyer that this sort of damage on a brand new game isn't ok, but that we're also open to reasonable solutions. Brushing this under the rug would be bad, because then there's no accountability, but a reasonable solution should be accepted.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Give them a chance to resolve the problem.

Yeah, and that's how it should generally work. Once there's no acceptable solution offered, then you're free to go off on the company. Always give them a chance to explain or put things right before blasting them in public.

I'm going to be unboxing my GBLE shortly. If there's any glaring flaw, my distributor and Stern would know well before anybody on Pinside.

1 week later
#193 7 years ago

I have bought three NIB Stern games (AC/DC Premium, Iron Man, Ghostbusters LE). While I understand that nothing is perfect, especially in pinball, I do think that the cheapening down of parts and the dodgy QC is disheartening. I had A LOT of issues on my GB LE. I emailed Stern and let them know in a very polite manner. I just wanted them to know that I had received the game in a pretty rough condition (I've detailed those elsewhere), and the reply was totally robotic. "If you have any problems, contact your distributor."

I fixed the problems myself. I broke out the soldering gun and the tools and fixed my problems. I didn't cry out or raise much of a stink, but I let people know I had problems. And honestly, I'd prefer not to buy new again. There's just so much risk in it. Going forward, I'll probably look to buy used until Stern re-establishes a solid record of quality.

I don't expect perfection, but I can usually find something VERY close to it by buying used. That's my route going forward.

#201 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Jar155: I like the way you simply corrected the problems and got your game running. What were the things wrong?

My Ecto Goggles didn't work (solder needed to be re-flowed on the wiring and connectors on the optos, bracket was bent and didn't line the optos up right), left ramp wouldn't register a shot, two of the PKE rollovers didn't work, pop bumper exit didn't work, one-way gate was too long and would get stuck on the Ecto Goggles, Slimer wasn't registering correctly, my left Scoleri target wasn't level with the playfield (stuck up about 1/8" from flush), right scoop was bent down and a ball couldn't enter, and a few other smaller things. It was well beyond the realm of things just needing a little adjustment. I think it got skipped in final inspection.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

What was the fix for this? On my ST it isn't quite as bad, but if the ball reaches the scoop slowly it can get stuck at edge of scoop before entering saucer.

I bent it up by hand. It's a bit of a brutish method, and there's probably a more "official" way, but it worked fine for me.

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Seemed pretty thick to bend, I noticed there are some screws on the shaft that I thought might let you adjust it, just don't have a tool to reach it properly. But if bending works without doing damage, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

I have gorilla hands. I'm sure you could definitely adjust with screws and washers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nib-never-again?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.