Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by littlecammi
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TYSMIHA.jpg
Untitled-1_(resized).jpg
wrong_way_addams_(resized).jpg
barbie-doll-broken_(resized).jpg
lkjTu0Wm5WaUZSWSz8LH8UY9xTrSOnbDSNO-HdjA7_JF9qNn-jReLxcLOSCTdvJYgpPkdB8=s128_(resized).jpg
troll-detected-radar-45b7_(resized).png
warranty_(resized).png
91f88637fbdc1bd0e6ed869a4f3f2342_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
stern-waranty_(resized).jpg
IMG_0984_(resized).jpg
IMG_0985_(resized).jpg

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Jar155: I like the way you simply corrected the problems and got your game running. What were the things wrong?

My Ecto Goggles didn't work (solder needed to be re-flowed on the wiring and connectors on the optos, bracket was bent and didn't line the optos up right), left ramp wouldn't register a shot, two of the PKE rollovers didn't work, pop bumper exit didn't work, one-way gate was too long and would get stuck on the Ecto Goggles, Slimer wasn't registering correctly, my left Scoleri target wasn't level with the playfield (stuck up about 1/8" from flush), right scoop was bent down and a ball couldn't enter, and a few other smaller things. It was well beyond the realm of things just needing a little adjustment. I think it got skipped in final inspection.

#202 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

My Ecto Goggles didn't work (solder needed to be re-flowed on the wiring and connectors on the optos, bracket was bent and didn't line the optos up right), left ramp wouldn't register a shot, two of the PKE rollovers didn't work, pop bumper exit didn't work, one-way gate was too long and would get stuck on the Ecto Goggles, Slimer wasn't registering correctly, my left Scoleri target wasn't level with the playfield (stuck up about 1/8" from flush), right scoop was bent down and a ball couldn't enter, and a few other smaller things. It was well beyond the realm of things just needing a little adjustment. I think it got skipped in final inspection.

That's a good list. Wow.

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I think it got skipped in final inspection.

I think it got skipped on initial inspection too.

Good on you for taking care of the problems and keeping a good attitude.

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

right scoop was bent down and a ball couldn't enter, and a few other smaller things.

What was the fix for this? On my ST it isn't quite as bad, but if the ball reaches the scoop slowly it can get stuck at edge of scoop before entering saucer.

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

What was the fix for this? On my ST it isn't quite as bad, but if the ball reaches the scoop slowly it can get stuck at edge of scoop before entering saucer.

I bent it up by hand. It's a bit of a brutish method, and there's probably a more "official" way, but it worked fine for me.

#206 3 years ago

It's metal, you bend it. There isn't any trick to it. Same as the wire gate for captive ball which I had to bend back twice.

#207 3 years ago

Seemed pretty thick to bend, I noticed there are some screws on the shaft that I thought might let you adjust it, just don't have a tool to reach it properly. But if bending works without doing damage, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Seemed pretty thick to bend, I noticed there are some screws on the shaft that I thought might let you adjust it, just don't have a tool to reach it properly. But if bending works without doing damage, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

I have gorilla hands. I'm sure you could definitely adjust with screws and washers.

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Wow, that's rough

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Very poor QC.
There is no way your machine was properly game tested before final wipedown.
Ecto Googles are an example.
Left ramp optos are another.
Things like this are not very easy to jostle during shipping.
A "10 point check" number was skipped.

Stern does not score points here.
I feel some changes in wind coming very soon across the entire market.

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

100% on this... The knee-jerk "take it to the airwaves" reaction that some people have makes me wonder how those people are interacting with their distributor and Stern.

I've had nothing but great experiences handing issues with both NIB's I've bought in the past. Missing / broke / replaceable items have been a breeze mainly through the distributor. Not so much sure on how things with bad tables / wear would be but other stuff hasn't been a problem here. Then again, I'd rather be direct before I take it to the airwaves anyway.

#212 3 years ago

Ok let me ask this then. why the hell do all you guys put pics of under the playfield and inside the cab etc if you can't see it anyway when you play the game. By your logic, everyone that's posting those pics are wasting their time cuz whatever you see in that pic,whether it be bad or good shouldn't affect the price of that pin.

I also find it hysterical when you guys act so grateful to stern when they help you out to fix the problem with your pin. They are supposed to bend backwards for their customers that are paying $$$$, but you guys got it backwards. You jump and bend over whenever they tell you to and then ask them" when do you want me to do it again?" LOL.

#213 3 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

Stern NIB never again!

I won't buy a NIB Stern ever again, either. But only because my wife won't let me buy any more pins. I purchased the two Sterns I do have both NIB and have had no issues with either one.

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

why the hell do all you guys put pics of under the playfield and inside the cab etc

When i see or do this in a for sale thread its just to show there is no cab damage mainly from water and that the under playfield mechs arnt rusty.

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

Ok let me ask this then. why the hell do all you guys put pics of under the playfield and inside the cab etc if you can't see it anyway when you play the game. By your logic, everyone that's posting those pics are wasting their time cuz whatever you see in that pic,whether it be bad or good shouldn't affect the price of that pin.
I also find it hysterical when you guys act so grateful to stern when they help you out to fix the problem with your pin. They are supposed to bend backwards for their customers that are paying $$$$, but you guys got it backwards. You jump and bend over whenever they tell you to and then ask them" when do you want me to do it again?" LOL.

Well admittedly I'd be a little upset about your situation, but yours is the exception not the norm. Here's a thread that shows overwhelmingly that most are happy with their purchase.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2013-nib-owners-share-your-out-of-box-experience

#216 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Well admittedly I'd be a little upset about your situation, but yours is the exception not the norm. Here's a thread that shows overwhelmingly that most are happy with their purchase.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2013-nib-owners-share-your-out-of-box-experience

If the thread was NIB experience over the past few months it would have a significantly different tone.

#217 3 years ago

Untitled-1_(resized).jpg

#218 3 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I also find it hysterical when you guys act so grateful to stern when they help you out to fix the problem with your pin. They are supposed to bend backwards for their customers that are paying $$$$, but you guys got it backwards. You jump and bend over whenever they tell you to and then ask them" when do you want me to do it again?"

Am I grateful for Stern? Absolutely! I am thankful everyday they stay in business and keep pinball alive! Many of us have had issues and for the most part everyone has been taken care of. Sterns customer service in regards to defects and imperfections has been top notch in my book. If you have a good distributor you should be taken care of 100%. Can Stern do a better job with quality control-Absolutely. As long as Stern is in business I will continue to support them and purchase NIB-thank you sir may I have another?

TYSMIHA.jpg

#219 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

If the thread was NIB experience over the past few months it would have a significantly different tone.

I dunno I got a NIB 3 months ago and was happy, was it perfect? No, but I went in knowing NOTHING ever is

#220 3 years ago

I think they realize they have some QC issues to address, but at least new Stern owners aren't comparing the number of loose screws and bolts they are finding in the bottom of the cabinet upon delivery. I like what I see with GB. I hope they keep going in that direction. But when you see Spooky selling far simpler pins for premium bucks, I wonder if Stern doesn't just say f it and go back to a simpler pin knowing many of you will buy it regardless. I hope that doesn't happen, but why wouldn't it?

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

..simpler pin knowing many of you will buy it regardless. I hope that doesn't happen, but why wouldn't it?

Maybe that would cede market share to JJP.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I think they realize they have some QC issues to address, but at least new Stern owners aren't comparing the number of loose screws and bolts they are finding in the bottom of the cabinet upon delivery. I like what I see with GB. I hope they keep going in that direction. But when you see Spooky selling far simpler pins for premium bucks, I wonder if Stern doesn't just say f it and go back to a simpler pin knowing many of you will buy it regardless. I hope that doesn't happen, but why wouldn't it?

True, as "loose artifacts" DO happen during transport from manufacturer to distributor and distributor to customer/operator/private owner.

Part of life with all coin operated machinery.

The key is to make sure major parts are locked down.

Backglass light panels and speaker panels are notorious for not being prepared properly on used machines.

Do people know you can actually lock down playfields in BLY/WMS games using washers?
Sometimes little things do count.

#223 3 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Maybe that would cede market share to JJP.

I doubt it.

I just looked at the 20 most wanted games by Pinsiders and no JJP games even made the list.

More Pinsiders want Bride of Pinbot or Whirlwind than WOZ or Hobbit.

#224 3 years ago

And I doubt it too. They have produced 2 pretty pins. Neither beg me to stick another quarter in. As for Stern, Tron does it. Metallica to a certain degree, especially the Premium or LE. GB definitely in spite of that crazy flipper gap.

When I plunged the first ball on Hobbit, I was like WTF? with that weak ass plunge. Nobody else?

#225 3 years ago

Overall, Stern does pretty F ing good as far as I'm concerned.

For the HUO guy, you need to be able to learn how to do some simple fixes and not get your panties in a wad. Simple as that.

If you are putting them on route, you know what to expect. Simple as that.

#226 3 years ago

You can thumbs down me all you want, but when you can play them without owning them, that's how you know. I stuck quarters in Hobbit thinking I must be missing something so I'll play some more. I stuck quarters in GB thinking 2 of those balls absolutely sucked but that 3rd was awesome! That's a great pin!

#227 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

You can thumbs down me all you want, but when you can play them without owning them, that's how you know. I stuck quarters in Hobbit thinking I must be missing something so I'll play some more. I stuck quarters in GB thinking 2 of those balls absolutely sucked but that 3rd was awesome! That's a great pin!

Come on Mchater, you stuck a few quarters in each and could tell right away which one is shit and which one is "awesome"

That 3rd ball let you know GB was great.

#228 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Come on Mchater, you stuck a few quarters in each and could tell right away which one is shit and which one is "awesome"
That 3rd ball let you know GB was great.

Both machines got numerous plays from me, but I know which one I wanted to play at the end of it. I did want to play Hobbit more as the code progressed to see if it got any better but they pulled it from location. Said it couldn't handle the traffic. This is a bowling alley on an island. Every time I visit I'm the only SOB playing the pins. Whatever. Hope Pat knocks it out of the park for them. They need it.

#229 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I just looked at the 20 most wanted games by Pinsiders a

How do you do this?

#230 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

How do you do this?

Top 100 - Various - Owned or Wished

#232 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I doubt it.
I just looked at the 20 most wanted games by Pinsiders and no JJP games even made the list.

Lol, I doubt many Pinsiders even use the most wanted list.

#233 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I doubt it.

But oddly WOZ from JJP is in the 20 most owned list.
Maybe they dont have a JJP game in their wish list because they already own a JJP game.

#234 3 years ago

All the wishlist top games are older games because they are not available NIB any more.

#235 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol, I doubt many Pinsiders even use the most wanted list.

It's mainly so if someone is looking to trade/sell they can check your list and see what you are looking for.

Especially if you are local.

-

For instance, a guy was selling a game I was kinda/sorta looking for. I looked at his wishlist and he was looking for 3 games I had restored. It gave me just enough incentive to call him and we worked out a deal.

#236 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

All the wishlist top games are older games because they are not available NIB any more.

You can still buy MM new in box and it's the #1 most wanted game.

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

And away we go!

#238 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I am sure a lot of those people are not going to spend $8000+ or else they are holding out for an original which will always be very limited availability.
I know I certainly do not plan on buying any remakes from CGC/PPS or whatever name they are operating under.

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am sure a lot of those people are not going to spend $8000+ or else they are holding out for an original which will always be very limited availability.

It's just a wishlist.

Most people will never get any of the games on their list.

#240 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's just a wishlist.

So true.

I decided not to have a wishlist since I am permanently stuck on four games. When the right time and game comes along I will decide then to trade or sell something to get that right game.

#241 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's just a wishlist.

Or they put nothing but pricey games on their wishlist they simply can't afford. I've got a few myself, BSD & LotR. I'll likely never own either of those unless I win the lottery or something.

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't have a wishlist since I am permanently stuck on four games. When the right time and game comes along I will decide then to trade or sell something to get that game.

You have four really good games now. Which one would you part with?
My guess would be SM (but my opinion doesn't count).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
6,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Adrian, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside