(Topic ID: 1798)

Stern - Next Pin Hint?

By gambit3113

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9751a7fb9f3be515f2b9fdeb12c0bca1.jpg
    jaw3.jpg
    jaws2.jpg
    jaws1.jpg
    Jaws_movie_poster.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

A picture was thrown up on the Stern Facebook page this afternoon, with no explanation. It is a very crude stick-figure drawing of a stick figure swimming, with a huge shark coming up underneath him. Clearly a Jaws reference.

Now that has my ears perked up. Could be a great theme.

#2 13 years ago

Or Stern is the man, and the shark represents the death of pinball lol

#3 13 years ago

Perhaps they are doing a tie-in game to this new Jaws 5 - Resurface movie ???

I know it's a fan made trailer but maybe they are thinking about another remake on the theme. After all ... nobody can write anything new worthwhile anymore for TV or movies.
    It's so much easier to re-write crap on a known theme that will draw people in to buy tickets.

#4 13 years ago

i think a Jaws pin would be awesome! Never really gave it much thought (a jaws pin) but after thinking about it would be cool.

#5 13 years ago

I hope to god that they were just joking on Facebook. I did get to see the stick figure concept art earlier today.

Universal was rumored earlier this year, to have been working on starting production on a reboot of the original Jaws movie (presented in 3D for some theatres). Tracy Morgan was supposedly hit up to play the role of Richard Dreyfuss' character, Matt Hooper. Should give you a hint as to the already bad direction that box office train wreck is going. Maybe Stern is trying to say something, and its a sign of where pinball is going?

#6 13 years ago

I wonder if you will have to shoot the ball into the mouth of the shark? Naaah, too complicated. The shark rises out of the playfield and you hit it with the ball over and over.
    No, too expensive. The rubber shark toy sold at the beach tourist shop sits there and you hit it with the ball over and over.

#7 13 years ago

When you think about how much money the first film made, as well as how much of an impact it had on pop culture in general, it's kind of shocking that they never did make a Jaws pin.

#8 13 years ago

Bally already made a shark-themed game. It was called Nip-It.
    Whoops, that was alligators, wasn't it? Sorry!

#9 13 years ago

If they are working on a new movie and ol' Spielberg is on it, that would be right up Stern's alley I'm thinking. And I agree that it would be a sweet thing to turn into a pinball machine. They could dust off Lance Henrickson for quotes...

#10 13 years ago

I don't know Im not feeling this theme that much - for me it would have been good back in the day but growing up at the time of the original jaws then making a pin of the new one - ahh - Im kind of over these movie themed pins (I know I know they make money, and this has been beaten to death)

I think there are better options out there but hey I'll take it as long as someone keeps making pins.

I think they need to make a pin called - "It's Me or your Hobby" where you have to battle your wife or girlfriend to convince her you need to buy another pin, you could do things like break up multiball, hit the captive ball to throw your chicks sh*t on the front lawn to make room for another pin, hit the drop targets to spell a-d-d-i-c-t-i-o-n, secret Lock where you hide a pin in the shed then you have to hit the ramps to keep it hidden for a week till you can bring it to your buddys house. Tax return - where you score some extra cash from taxes then you have to hit the loops to gain access to a computer then the internet, then online to search graigslist to build your collection. objective to build your collection by gaining money but also not pissing off the ladies - in the end you get both...secret mode where you have to decide what to do - take lady to dinner and a movie - or lie and goto local bar where there is a pin - like jackbot you gamble, in the beginning you could choose to be the girl or be the guy... watchout for the dog house - if you sleep in there, you will forfeit a pin from your collection.

#11 13 years ago

I dunno, a shark toy that poops out balls for the multi-ball might be sweet.

#12 13 years ago

Originally posted by fusion301:

"I think they need to make a pin called - "It's Me or your Hobby" where you have to battle your wife or girlfriend to convince her you need to buy another pin ..."

OMG, I'm literally tearing from laughing so hard! Your hypothetical machine pretty much perfectly describes the situation in my house. You should have seen the look on my wife's face the other day when I told her I was on the lookout for a third pin.

#13 13 years ago

I got that same look today from mine too.

#14 13 years ago

I would like a new Bond. Whenever the third movie comes out they would have plenty of content for modes and stuff.

#15 13 years ago

Sealclubber I decided to add dates to your post, to put things in perspective

Stern in 1998:
    shoot the ball into the mouth of the shark

Stern in 2005:
    the shark rises out of the playfield and you hit it with the ball over and over

Stern in 2010:
    the rubber shark toy sold at the beach tourist shop sits there and you hit it with the ball over and over

Stern in 2015(?):
    the plastic shark sign stands behind a target labeled 'shark' hit the target with the ball over and over to make the light above the sign go out

Sorry, not that I'm bitter or anything...

#16 13 years ago

I just got to the mode on "Me or your Hobby" where I had to wait 2 days to figure out the best way to ask - I used the spinner to choose, "I will flip this pin for cash" made the keep for 1 month shot. Im almost to the wizard mode -(Warehouse Raid - wifes at Girls night out)

#17 13 years ago

You forgot about the super wizard mode ... "Buy her some diamond earrings and then gently break it to her that a new pin will be arriving later that afternoon".

#18 13 years ago

That is the first pin I've hit the Super Wizard Mode on more than once.

#19 13 years ago

Perhaps they are saying that with the generic gameplay of their last few pins they have finally jumped the shark.

#20 13 years ago

back in '75' that movie scared the ____ out of me,
    took me a few days before swimming alone in the pool again.

Jaws_movie_poster.jpgJaws_movie_poster.jpg

#21 13 years ago

Yeah, my mom won't swim in anything deeper than her waist because of that movie, unless its a pool.

#22 13 years ago

Another franchise much too late, like making an Indiana Jones for the Crystal Skull movie.
    Jaws 1 = Amazing
    Jaws 2-Infinity = Terrible

1 year later
    #23 11 years ago

sorry to bump an old thread ... but man would I love to see a JAWS theme from stern or JJP or anyone else. I found an original FPT I played it and LOVED IT! hopefully if Spielberg pumps out a Jaws 5 lol :

jaws1.jpgjaws1.jpg jaws2.jpgjaws2.jpg jaw3.jpgjaw3.jpg

#24 11 years ago

Nice looking machine. I don't think I've ever seen that previously. Thanks for posting the pics.

#25 11 years ago

I would be on for a jaws pin. Friday the 13th even better.

#26 11 years ago

That's a nice FPT game. I'd love to see a Jaws pin.

#27 11 years ago

What's up with the chicklets right by the outlanes? Couldn't ever hit them short of bumping off the dividers? That's wierd placement.

#28 11 years ago

Perfect to retheme Baywatch as Jaws.

#29 11 years ago

Two other cool features would be a lower playfield in the shape of the shark's head . As if you were inside Jaws with red LED's and bones like on Scared Stiff ramp on the inside.You would need to hit a certain amount of drop targets to escape. The top of the playfield could have a random shark fin that would pop up on a moving target / track. But none of this will ever happen... One can dream.

#30 11 years ago

*Reads thread*
    *Looks for stick figure on Stern's Facebook page*
    *Wonders why it's not there*
    *Re-reads original post*
    *Sees "1 year ago" as the date*
    *Looks for poster who bumped this year+ old thread*
    *Facepalm*

#31 11 years ago

Still rofling over here. Someone break out a rofl copter jpg

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

*Reads thread*
    *Looks for stick figure on Stern's Facebook page*
    *Wonders why it's not there*
    *Re-reads original post*
    *Sees "1 year ago" as the date*
    *Looks for poster who bumped this year+ old thread*
    *Facepalm*

I kept wondering why I couldn't give Gambit a thumbs up for starting the thread! Ha! Thread necromacy...gotta love it!

#33 11 years ago

Is it entirely possible for Stern Pinball to allow the collectors to choose a theme almost a voting system ? Is it possible to fund the theme idea? In other words if a certain amount of money was raised if the title was approved would Stern actually go ahead and develop a title this way? Even though considered an older movie Jaws is considered 133 all time on IMDB (Wizard of Oz 142). I know that's not really anything to gauge. However I think It would be really cool if Stern let you vote on a 70's,80's,90's etc.. movie for them to theme. For instance Jaws, Goonies, Labyrinth, E.T. I think would all make fun playfields.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Is it entirely possible for Stern Pinball to allow the collectors to choose a theme almost a voting system ? Is it possible to fund the theme idea?

Hmm, they wouldn't be able to do it as just random people voting; they'd need to make sure the voters were the buyers. Best way for them to implement it would be for them to talk with their own distributors and have the distributors vote on it if they wanted to do something like that...then, everyone could lobby their own distributor.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Still rofling over here. Someone break out a rofl copter jpg

9751a7fb9f3be515f2b9fdeb12c0bca1.jpg9751a7fb9f3be515f2b9fdeb12c0bca1.jpg

2 weeks later
    #36 11 years ago

Kiss

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Sealclubber I decided to add dates to your post, to put things in perspective
    Stern in 1998:
    shoot the ball into the mouth of the shark
    Stern in 2005:
    the shark rises out of the playfield and you hit it with the ball over and over
    Stern in 2010:
    the rubber shark toy sold at the beach tourist shop sits there and you hit it with the ball over and over
    Stern in 2015(?):
    the plastic shark sign stands behind a target labeled 'shark' hit the target with the ball over and over to make the light above the sign go out
    Sorry, not that I'm bitter or anything...

OMG that is Fing funny.

Just for the novelty of it I would also buy the "It's you or my hobby" pin NIB.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-next-pin-hint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.