(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

What a Joke, looks like I'm buying HUO from now on.

I see this bandied about a lot.

Serious question time ... If no one is buying these Stern pins anymore because of *insert Pinside complaint of the day*, who would you purchase it from?

Second question ... You do find a HUO of *insert awesome game you really want* and it has *insert Pinside complaint of the day* issues, how much would you expect to save?

Eventually my RUO pins will come up for sale (unless I love the game, TWD, I'm looking at you). Pin has depreciated tax wise, has had thousands of plays, and has *insert Pinside complaint of the day* issues, how much would you expect to save?

#303 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Then add the routed discount and if your game has ghosting take out another discount.

How much are these discounts? Like, couple hundred bucks?

Say I have a SW Pro, routed, has 1 slight sliver of ghosting on a small insert. What's the discount you would be looking for?

Then say I have an Addams Family, routed, magnet burn, chair scoop blown out and mansion inserts raising with edged inserts. What's the discount? What would be a fair price?

#306 6 years ago

It will also depend on game popularity. Ive seen some folks take a $800 on ghosting (mind you it was more than a sliver). As for SW VS AF, If a game gets 100's of thousands of plays I would expect it to be in line with that condition. When a game has 5000....... well, that's another story....how well will that game hold up in the long run? You could beat the living shit out of a Bally Williams, I'm not so sure about these new Sterns..... time will tell.

Well, I think we both know how much that AF would go for up north. There would be 0 discount because it was routed, because they all were. IMHO it would be priced way too high.

I have a lot of Stern's with more than 5000 plays (a few with more than 10K). They all look fine, still work great, and still earn.

#375 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Passing a rotten batch of PFs to customers shelling out an all time high price for NIB Pro's as 'normal inconsistencies in a (upcoming buzz word warning) American made product' when no other dealer is showing this flaw is as cowardly and snide as it gets.

No worries, they'll send some mylar to you to stop the clear/paint/wood chipping until the metal scoop Cliffy shows up ... oh, you're talking about Stern? Carry on then.

#377 6 years ago

My $1100 CPR play field for Whirlwind had crazing.

Plays better than the old play field that was in it!

#379 6 years ago

Would you say its common? And if so since when as it become common and why? Im not talking about old beat up games..im talking about fresh off the line ones.
Your cpr playfield would fall under uncommon, rare, ultra common?
Is it just a pill I refuse to swallow? Ive never had crazing on any of my new games

CPR has a whole write up about their playfields on the website.

#381 6 years ago

You still havent answered my question

From their Gold class play field description ... "Is every playfield absolutely 100.000% perfect?? No. No playfield ever is."

Read the whole thing here, especially this part - COMMONLY QUESTIONED ATTRIBUTES BY FIRST-TIME BUYERS.

http://www.classicplayfields.com/standards.html

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballAlley:

We would replace it. That is what we warranty.

Just to confirm, if my game gets 10,000 plays in 364 days, and has something on the playfield I am not happy with (maybe chipped clear in the drain, or crackle in 1 insert, or too much shooter lane wear), you would replace it under warranty?

If so, every operator should be buying pins for their route through you.

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

It looks like I am going with AFMr this fall. Why gamble?

Am I the only one who remembers the light ink on MMr play fields? The sling shots chewing into the playfield? Or the side rails that shredded the flesh from my thumbs?

I'm not saying there are any issues with AFMr by the way, but no manufacturer is immune to issues. None.

#573 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

True indeed, at least they didn't proclaim those defects to be "normal" by printing it on the cover of the manual. They fixed it and then kicked things up a notch with AFMr, exactly how a good business should do things by getting better over time.

It sounds like things improved for sure. How did they rectify the MMr issues? Did they ship out populated play fields to people with light ink or chewed into sling area's? Or massive clear separation?

People have a sliver of ghosting on an insert and expect Stern to send a whole new play field. CGC basically said "Go F yourself" and people are spouting their praises.

I had customers CUTTING themselves on my MMr and they sent some tape and a sanding block.

Hopefully if people experience ANY clear separation, early wear in a ball trough or scoop, a slight blemish on a play field, CGC will do the right thing and send out a fully populated play field over night to the customer. It's the right thing to do, right?

1 month later
#811 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Thanks! It will be nice to get back on topic without the annoying personal attacks.

On topic:

2400 plays and the sliver has not gotten worse. It's the only ghosting insert.

Should Stern replace the play field?

20170908_104038 (resized).jpg20170908_104038 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=smokedog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.