(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

It will become new policy if people keep buying. If we stop buying, maybe they'll fix the problem, but for now, there are too many rabid fan boys throwing money at them. We are our own worst enemy.

#64 6 years ago

I cannot wait to watch Jaws, Iron Maiden, Slayer, or the Muppets come out next and see how many people here "just cannot resist" and buy another game.

Can. Not. Wait.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

keith Elwin had a JAWS cap on at pin burgh today

It's ANOTHER HINT that Jaws is next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted from dnapac:

STERN! Are you listening. I will buy SW, but all future purchases will be determined on your response in the near future to problems...and I have a Met Pro with ghosting of 6+ inserts...I'm reasonable about small defects, but wake up...there are companies willing and ready to replace you...your move.

*hears the record buzz and everything in the room stops*

Wait a minute....

Quoted from dnapac:

I have a Met Pro with ghosting of 6+ inserts

yet.....

Quoted from dnapac:

...but I hope...I get lucky and have a good playfield...sorry, criticize me, yell at me, say I'm wrong...but this is my grail pinball...

I agree, we shouldn't buy Stern because of the QC probs and them cheapening the quality...but this is my weak point...sorry, but I will enjoy it...that's the way it is.

Well, not yelling AT you, but I will say:

This....RIGHT HERE.... is exactly why Stern will not address their issues. They are putting out sub-par crap at insane prices, and some people cannot eat that shit sandwich fast enough. They are actually pulling a CYA method to KEEP people that "can't help themselves" buying games with the mentality of "oh, this is normal...." What a load of MFing bs.

Can you imagine if hospital equipment that keeps people on life support was being put out at Stern's quality level? Morgues wouldn't be able to keep up....

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

As soon as NIB pins came in, we unpacked them, set them up, Set adjustments to maximize income and put them out on location. Didn't give a shit about cabinet scratches, playfield gouges, backglasses with a pinhole in the masking etc
....we sent them to bars & bowling alleys so people would play them.
...The machines were money makers.

But now they're not....

The home owner is the new and increasingly bigger demographic. You think a $8000 "pro level" DI is going to put an operator in the black anytime soon?

Pinball companies need to realize they are soon going to live and die by the home market. You know how many on route pinball machines we have in the Florida Panhandle from the edge of the state to Destin? I have found less than 10, and I have lived in this area for nearly 23-24 years now; I know where to find them. Soon as I was PCS'd here from WPAFB, I went back to all the hangouts where pinball machines used to be. Most are gone now, and some of them are SO bad you don't even need to put a quarter in because as soon as you start your game, you'll hit a flipper and *5v reset issue kicks in*. I don't even know where ANY Stern games are down here in the wild - oh, except Playboy in downtown Pensacola.

Stern NEEDS to care because bad news always travels faster than good news, and soon some of those new players that played the "machines that were money makers" are going to want to bring a $7500 Premium home, and then the ghosting/CC chipping/art peeling will begin, and those new owners are going to be prettttttttttttttttttttty disappointed...

#536 6 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:
The pinball market continues to expand around the world.
With that in mind, we recently added language to the front cover of our Service and Operation Manual.
The language is intended to inform new participants in pinball about common occurrences associated with the game including dimpling, crazing and ghosting.
The language does not impact our warranty coverage.
We stand behind our products and services.
We will continue our research and development efforts to further improve our games with the goal of delivering a compelling entertainment experience for all players.
Please feel free to contact me, John Buscaglia or any member of our Sales staff if you have any questions or concerns.
Best,
Gary Stern
President
Stern Pinball, Inc.
2001 Lunt Avenue
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007-5605 USA
Tel: +1-708-786-7036 Fax: +1-708-345-7813
Mobile: +1-847-278-1398
[email protected]

That is a very, very ,very gray area, and I would certainly be hesitant to buy a NIB game after reading that. So, if you experience ghosting, what happens? It is mentioned that the "warranty coverage is not affected", so......Playfield will keep getting replaced? Is the customer SOL? There's some serious ambiguity there.

#548 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

This thread is depressing, go over to the AFMr threads.....Thats some happy stuff! Awesome quality machine

Of course it is. It's not built by Stern. The box AFMR comes in is probably better designed and of higher quality.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=npo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.