(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#387 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballAlley:

The notice was headed as "New Language on the front of the service and operations manual." That as the pinball market continues to expand globally that they needed to add language to the front cover of service and operations manuals. "The language is intended to inform new participants in pinball about common occurrences associated with the game including dimpling, crazing, and ghosting." Stern goes on to further assure that "The language does not impact our warranty coverage." We stand behind our products and services. I must state that in my years of dealing with Stern , they have been great when it comes to making things right. I have had only one issue that was contentious. In the end Stern saw that I felt strongly about the issue and gave in. Because of this I must give the guys at Stern the benefit of the doubt. I have no unhappy Stern customers to date. I must admit that the notice left a queasy feeling in my stomach. Perhaps there is a "Legalese" issue with overseas rules and regulations that made the legal department deem this necessary. Right now there is too little to speculate. The real point of my post was that it is always best to err on the side of caution. In this case, look at what you are going to buy before you pay for it.
-J

The voice of reason. Thanks for jumping into the fire and giving us some much needed info and answers.

Pinside (especially fuel seekers), love to bring out the pitchforks at a moments notice. And there is a higher standard to quality as newer, more wealthier, investment collectors join the hobby.

That all said; it is no secret that 'something' has changed with the way stern is manufacturing their playfields. It's a revolving door of issues when it comes to pinball; fix one issue, another arises, and so forth. If stern still does replacement programs and supports customers as they have in the past, which I suspect they will, then they should have no problem continuing to sell pins. But, the experience and all that had occurred in 2016 + this new policy + continued price increases has put a sour taste in a lot of our mouths making it a tougher pill to swallow moving forward with nib purchases (from all manufacturers). I hope they, all of them, continue to support the snot out of these newer higher priced pins as they have in the past but there are gray lines in policies and warranties.

Only time will tell what the future of our hobby holds, but hopefully people who are so easy to burn these manufacturers with no intent to buy or support, take a few steps back from the hobby and let the ones who do buy + support products do what their desire wills.

#527 6 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

It's unfortunate that such an incredible resurgence in this popular industry is in jeopardy of going backwards because of "The worlds leading pinball producer". Instead of being the leading of confidence, the are becoming the leader of cutting corners, excuses and turning the NIB experience into Odds listed in Vegas. Hate this. Some of the most enjoyable moments for my family and I is the excitement of opening your brand new machine. With all the risk and lack of confidence given by Stern we will not be purchasing NIB anymore or at least until they rebuild our confidence and respect the $6,000 to $8,000 that I consider my hard earned money. I want nothing more than for this to get better, heck I wanted the new Star Wars but again must wait to see what happens. Hate to see that they are now printing these new failures in the instructions in an attempt to get the excuses out early and save a buck for potential poor quality. Please Stern, get back to doing it right ... we all understand the sales margin is awesome and necessary in business however if you can't selling machines due to poor quality and no confidence in your brand then the margin will not matter because your company will not survive. Rooting for you to make a change and make a change soon ... I want this hobby to survive! Want to have faith ... maybe someday.

This really is the best post in this entire thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.