(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beelzeboob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

This is not going to end well for either Stern or their customers. I just don't know which.

Both. First the customers, then Stern.

#84 6 years ago

My tolerance for CQ issues with any manufacturer is inversely proportional to the price of the machine. Period.

So for an $8500 machine with hardly any bells and whistles, that f**ker better be near perfect.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Is it weird that I want to buy a SW, but at the same time I want it to fail and hopefully send stern a lesson? I'm confused

I'm right there with you, brother. As I just said in the other thread, Stern may have won this battle in terms of selling to me, but they've lost the war in the long term.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

STERN! Are you listening. I will buy SW, but all future purchases will be determined on your response in the near future to problems...and I have a Met Pro with ghosting of 6+ inserts...I'm reasonable about small defects, but wake up...there are companies willing and ready to replace you...your move.

For a moment today, watching the Pinburgh finals, I actually considered ditching my SWLE order and getting DILE. It was a fleeting thought, but that was the first time it happened since either game was announced. That feeling is only going to get stronger for me when it comes to JJP/Stern decisions in the future if Stern continues with their shenanigans.

Remember when we were getting pissed at JJP 2-3 years ago for their BS? My, how the tables have turned...

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

They used di in the finals?

Yep. First of four games. And when you see what the game is telling you to do and how the lights interact with everything you're doing, it's simply brilliant. I thought it's been really fun every time I've played, and I didn't know what I was doing. Watching these guys play that game was a real treat.

Quoted from dnapac:

They will all have have problems. Stern should know better...fix your sh@! Or risk losing the lead. Competition is good. Spooky, JJP, etc. are coming for Stern and they should be worried. After this one ( because it has a huge following) they are done, unless they get their sh@! together.

This is spot on. They're getting away with it (with me and others) because it's Star Wars. But they're doing real damage to their customer base going forward. I'm really bitter about that company now, and taking a much closer look at DI (or the JJP POTC) and Houdini as my next machine. I don't even care what Stern's next 5 games are...and I can't be the only one that feels that way.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

This is what I think of their new policy

But if you were previously their "costumer," who's going to make their costumes from now on?

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

More light, less heat. Treat Stern with respect and they'll respond in kind. Stern is made up of people, just like us.

Not much on Pinside pisses me off, but this part did.

So I'm going to state civilly that I strongly disagree and leave it to that before I get myself in trouble.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sorry I upset you. I'm just suggesting that torches and pitchforks don't always solve the problem.

No need to apologize; you have a right to your opinion and I respect that. And I respect the valiant approach. But when it's your $8500 and you're sold a piece of shit, then told that it's as designed (like my orbit problems on GOT LE) or not covered by any warranty...all while prices continue to rise and quality declines, then being nice will accomplish nothing. I actually think customers have been too nice up to this point.

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The folks that have Stern's ear are the big distributors and operators. If you want to be heard, ask your distributor to talk to Stern. Has anyone talked to Patrick Powers (nicely) about this? Ask him if Stern has found the root cause yet, and what they're doing to fix it going forward. I have a lot of respect for Patrick, and he's the guy I'd call if I had standing to complain.

You can't even ask questions on Stern's Facebook page about any deficiencies without being kicked off their page. They don't exactly play nice.

Quoted from tslayer71:

I think the new switch position sucks, but there's an easy solution. Always keep your games on and plug them into a power strip...

This. I use a remote control that turns on the power strip and fires up an entire room of pins with one click. Here it is...great product:

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS/ref=pd_sim_60_2

#364 6 years ago

You think Stern knows EXACTLY what's being bitched about here on Pinside?

All the dissatisfaction and cancelled orders being thrown around here have to be disconcerting to them. If it's not, they're idiots.

#452 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You really think that these guys are getting rich? You are an emotional guy but you can't seriously believe that these LEs and SLEs are doing much more than helping keep the lights on at Stern.

So why'd they just move into a bigger factory? Not saying they're rich...but he's sure making a hell of a profit these days.

#514 6 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

I wonder if that Stern kit includes lube.

No, it doesn't. That's what the sandpaper is for.

#658 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wow, mine aren't, what did you do to yours!
If you think you can recreate the lighting and sound in an old B/W pin versus what we have today then there is no hope for you.

I'll take your WhiteWater, Ice. I'll PM you the shipping address. Thanks!

#667 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Wow.
And this is "normal"!
And you're still buying?

Well...they DID take care of him. I've been VERY lucky with my GOT playfield. But if I said I wasn't nervous about SWLE, I'd be lying.

#692 6 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Now I'm going to have look at my GOT LE and see if it has it. Was this widespread on GOT LEs?

Not on mine. But Trekkie had an LE as well, I think. The benefit to having the LE with that game is all the inserts are clear, so it's harder to see.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I've seen it on CPR fields, and HEP fields. It's unavoidable.

I can back this up with firsthand knowledge as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beelzeboob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=beelzeboob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.