(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Procrastinator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Major problems lol? There is one bad designed hole that isnt tapered and sld of had a protector on it day 1. Other than that i dont believe there is any major issues? Also it hasnt been but a few that have it. Apparently since the mylar was added there havent been any more issues i believe? Ive seem lots of b/w pins like afm, mb with major damage bc of bad design scoops also and they had great clearcoat imo. Set of cliffys or mantis and all wlill be fine....

^^^^ this is correct. It looks to be more of a design problem then a clear issue. The hole people have issues on isn't tapered and there's chunk of wood sticking out. With the untapered edge, which seemingly takes the impact and cracking the clear from that spot on. Every one I have seen looked the start the same way, from the extra material's sharp edge. When they release the protector I'm sure it will solve 99% of people's problems.

Honestly though, it shouldn't even be an issue the customer has to deal with, stern or JJp. I'm annoyed that the new DI's have Mylar installed from the factory, but mine doesn't. With the cost as high as it is for these new machines, I don't expect perfection, but it better be pretty damn close. Plus with jjp field testing their games for so long, this issue should've been handled before they ever left the factory. I would never worry about jjp support though, as they called me on Saturday afternoon to help, and next day aired a part to me. No charges, just sorry for the inconvenience and we are sending the part next day air to you.

Not to get a vs thread going, but I do feel sterns issues or a little more serious. I haven't seen any new HUO modern game have ghosting inserts except stern. Hell, some had issues in the first 50 plays, which just seems flat out unacceptable. The difference in play is minimal, but the resale value of game with ghosted inserts definitely will take a hammering. For those that say it's no big deal, wouldn't you expect to pay less for a game with ghosted inserts? Sure, gameplay is the same, but in a decade it will be interesting to see how bad the playfield looks if they have issues in the first week of ownership.

Hopefully all manufacturers tighten things up. The fact pins are the most expensive they've ever been, with QC issues rearing their head over and over, it's time they put a serious effort into fixing their problems.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

None of this affects my enjoyment of my pins either BUT its the SLIM SHADY way that Stern always seems to handle issues. Slipping in a cya disclaimer is piss poor imo.
The communication on all fronts from them is pure CRAP and always has been. Tell the freaking truth how about that. This is a very SMALL community and hobby and you can't keep operating like that.
Absolutely ZERO info on code updates until they drop is pathetic and frustrating, how about just some honest status reports on pin coding for crying out loud? Not that hard and would go a long ways to satisfying us customers.
On a positive note, I'm gonna go play my ASLE and drink some beer!

Amen. I've always found most customers to be very reasonable if you communicate with them openly and honestly about whatever the situation is. I think if they came out and said we believe this is happening because xyz, but rest assured we are working on it, and will stand by it if you have excessive wear/issues. I think most would be supportive, if not atleast understanding.

Or they can keep slipping lingo in the terms and conditions and say that the PF problem is solved. Wonder which way will turn out best for them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
15,699 (OBO)
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Procrastinator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=Procrastinator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.