(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#415 6 years ago

Don't be fooled with Stern's warranty. I bought a Ghostbusters Prem from JJ at Game Exchange, who I really like doing business with, JJ is a great guy. My GB chipped in the shooter lane within the 1st 30 games. As soon as I saw the chipping I put Mylar on it and ordered Cliffy's for the shooter lane and the drain. The damage was already done so I emailed JJ and sent him photos. Stern told us to keep playing the game they were at that point figuring out what they were going to do. I then started having very minor ghosting on one of my inserts. I really wasn't worried about that because it was very minor. I then started having major dimpling, so bad that if the ball came down the playfield in certain places the dimpling would effect the ball as it was coming down the playfield. Keep in mind I've been in this hobby for several years and I've had many machines and also bought some new in box. I know what dimpling is on a new machine. I know that's normal and I know after many plays this all balances out, but this was not normal. When the ball changes direction from the dimpling there's a problem. This was happening because of all the major air balls every time you played the game, and yes I bought the shield that helped some but still had air ball issues. Many many more air balls then any game I've ever owned. I took detailed photos of the dimpling and sent them to JJ and he forwarded them to Stern. I didn't know what they would do. You would think at the least they would give me a repair kit for the chipping or come up with some solution for the 100's of major air balls. Keep in mind I've got machines that were built in the 90's with no chipping and I've got 3 other Stern machines with no chipping. After JJ talked to them several times Stern decided this was normal and they did nothing. I was pretty upset, not at JJ but at Stern. After I started thinking about it, if they sent me a new playfield it was going to do the same thing if not worse. They could at least have offered to pay for the Cliffy's and the shield and a repair kit for the chipping but no they did nothing. So I fixed it all myself. The Cliffy's in the shooter lane fixed the chipping problem. I bought some angled pieces to put on the 2 stand ups that fixed 99% of the air balls so the dimpling stopped. I was lucky that the ghosting never got any worse. Now my game plays great and I'm not worried every time the ball shoots out into the shooter lane that wood is chipping away.

I said all that to say this, the clear chipping and the ghosting is not going away with Stern games any time soon. When they changed playfield suppliers this all started happening. Making playfields is an art and it takes a while to learn how to do it right. Stern can't afford to replace every playfield that they put into games. Unless you have major ghosting from inserts falling away from the clear and then that ghosting starts chipping in the middle of the playfield, Stern will do nothing. When you buy a Stern pinball, which I have several and love them, be prepared to deal with minor ghosting and chipping in the shooter lane. If you can't deal with that, I would advise before you play the 1st game put on every Cliffy that is offered for the game, and as soon as you see any problems with the way the game plays like air balls find a way to fix the problem fast yourself.

This is not a Stern bashing it's just something you will have to either live with or stop buying Stern until there playfield maker figures out how to do it right, if that ever happens. Again they can't afford to replace all these play fields over small ghosting and small chipping or they want be around long. They just can't. That's my take on the situation.

#418 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you do realize that games made in the 80's don't have clearcoat on them , so you couldn't have chipping,, and usually don't have much dimpling because you don't get airballs on early SS games.
While Ghosting is normal. It is true that these new sterns are doing it wayy premature. Maybe stern switched to water based clearcoat, as my clearcoat dist, told me, that 10 years from now, everyone will be water based clearcoat. EPA is forcing it to convert over. Which for cars is fine. but wood. I could see it not wanting to seal. But the ghosting is on the plastic, so maybe the clear is causing the plastic to react and give off some kind of minor gas. which would start to create an air pocket. Could be it's not scuffed enough before inking. there is at least 10-20 factors it could be. Tho, it does seem to be something that was changed in the process right before GB.

I should of said early 90's. TAF is my oldest game in my collection. I've refurbished games older but just to sell. Yes I do know this. Again I've been collecting for a good while now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=PinballHog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.