(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MapleSyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 6 years ago

I think what Stern is trying to say with this clause is, "if your playfield is fu@%ed, we're going to take care of you, but can we please stop the nitpicky minutia of searching for imperfections, and demanding museum quality production??!". It's simply not attainable.

That's me reading between the lines. I think they've been inundated with super minor complaints, and simply CAN NOT afford to replace populated playfields over hairline insert ghosting that has zero effect on the machine. They need to bring expectations back down to reality somehow. This is a shot across the bow. Again... it's just a guess.

I'm getting an Aerosmith and and AC/DC VE. You can take me at my word that if either of these machines have ghosting inserts, I will document the cosmetic issue, and alert Stern and my Distro.

I will say something like, "I've noticed a few cosmetic imperfections. As long as they don't progress, or cause premature failure in the clear, I have no issue. Looking forward to enjoying these amazing games!". Beyond that... I will not care. I won't give it another thought as I play the crap out of my incredible new pins.

Pinball production is a massively complicated venture. The machines are incredibly complex in their construction. Production must be a crazy unicycle juggling act, taking place on a tightrope.

I think this is Stern asking people to be reasonable.

People will make the same arguments... "For what they're charging, we DEMAND perfection", "They're charging a Premium price, I demand a Premium Product!", "Theyre selling us "LE" models for stupid price increases, They created this problem!!"

At the end of the day, you're buying a super complicated mechanical amusement device. No matter how much you pay, or how limited the edition, or what steps are taken during production, and distribution... you can't change the fact that you're buying a PINBALL MACHINE. The nature of the product didn't change just because people got more demanding.

Rage on folks, but I'm going to go enjoy my pinball machines both old and new, and the MOMENT Stern announces another pinball machine that I want to own... I'll be buying it. Along with thousands of other people, who's expectations of a pinball machine are "Enjoyment" or "Revenue" or some combination of both.

Happy Flipping everybody

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

If Stern told you that you will be getting a NIB pin with ghosting inserts with cloudy stress cracks. You would tell them NO WAY. If you said you would be ok with that then I don't think there is a single pinsider here who would believe you. This making your entire post kinda hypocritical in a way, yes? In any case good luck with your purchase, just make sure you divulge in your future for sale threads down the road that your pin has ghosting so some of us do not waste the time driving out to inspect it.

I think you misunderstand the word hypocritical. I've stated EXACTLY how I feel. If I were to receive a pin with minor cosmetic issues, and then go on a tirade about said minute imperfections being unacceptable... THAT would be hypocritical.

I have 22 pinball machines. Gottlieb, Bally, Williams, Stern, JJP, and Spooky... They ALL have issues, and imperfections... and I don't care!

I don't want to argue, I just want to try to present an opposing viewpoint to all the oppressive negativity here.

I'm always very clear when I sell a pin what, if any, imperfections it has. I send plenty of pics with details. I would NEVER sell a pin to somebody who was overly obsessed with minute cosmetic imperfections... I simply don't have time for that headspace. It's not what pinball is about for me.

Have you played Aerosmith?!! It's Sofa King Fun!!!! I want one. I'm looking forward to playing it at home. I don't expect it to be perfect. I expect it to be a blast.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Stern should be fixing the issues and standing by their product, not putting out disclaimers. As many have stated before, Stern has produced great playfields for years. This is a recent problem.

I TOTALLY agree with you. I'm not saying I don't give a shit about QC. I just think there is currently an unreasonable expectation afoot. I think issues are appearing because production is difficult. Almost nobody else can do it!!

If you want perfection, don't buy a pinball machine... from any manufacturer, from any era!

I agree with you though, and I would wager BIG dollars that Stern is doing everything they can to illiminate imperfections. Maybe it'll happen. Maybe it already has?! Doesn't matter to me. It's not going to affect my enjoyment of the games.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Nope. I am pretty sure I got it right. According to you Stern is "inundated with super minor complaints" VS "You can take me at my word that if either of these machines have ghosting inserts, I will document the cosmetic issue, and alert Stern and my Distro" So arn't you adding to the super minor complaint department? The fact of the matter is we are buying a PINBALL MACHINE that in recent past did not have ghosting inserts and now do. So, YES the nature of the product HAS INDEED CHANGED. People are not more demanding, they simply want what they paid for.

I think there's a world of difference between, "Hey, I've noticed these cosmetic flaws. They don't bother me, but I'm going to keep and eye on them", vs "My playfield has 3 unacceptable minor cosmetic flaws. This is NOT what I paid for. I demand a populated playfield replacement immediately!!"

I do think you misunderstand the intention of my posts. I WANT Stern to illiminate whatever production issues they can. I want them to stand behind their product to a reasonable standard.

Most importantly, this is supposed to be fun. Sorry if it seemed like I was hammering a point unreasonably. I was just trying to express what I took away from the new language in the manual. I think it's Stern reacting to what they've been dealing with. I still have faith in them as a company, and I'm still excited about what's coming down the line.

Happy Flipping all. I'm out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MapleSyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=MapleSyrup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.