(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

This policy is going to be a disaster for them. If I had seen this a few weeks ago, I'm not sure AC/DC VE would be in my gameroom.

Realistically we already knew this. A ghosted insert or two want going to get a playfield replaced. However stating it in a policy like this is just going to make people not want to play the Stern NIB playfield lottery.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

Just a guess: lost sales as a result of this policy will cost them LESS than if people bought them and then demanded a playfield swap (as per before the new policy).

I totally agree! Losing your customer base because you have a problem putting out quality playfields is definitely less expensive for Stern.

(Feel free to call it a straw man argument, but that's the direction it sounds like you argued)

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I'm in on a SW premium, but this is very concerning. Is it true that JJP, Spooky, etc have never had any problems (ghosting, cab corner separation, chipping, decal probs). If they have, can anyone with first hand experience tell me how they have responded. I agree that there can be slight probs with any machine, but if I'm paying as much as a car, I do expect a certain amount of responsibility.

Of course others have had problems. JJP made an unfortunate decision (in retrospect) for their playfield manufacturer, and those chipped quickly. Hey switched manufacturers and resolved the issues. Some people didn't like the solution (stickers with art and Mylar for the bad areas).

Quoted from Who-Dey:

JJP is having major problems right now as we speak with the DI playfields chipping.

Are they now? Can you point me to pictures? I haven't seen it and I don't follow the dialed in thread.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I thought you weren't supposed to bite the hand that feeds you........

But if that hand is full of cash, it's so yummy!

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

My GB was made in August 2016. Just over a week ago I noticed two of the inserts are ghosting. Didn't start happening until this month. So all those with GB's, Aerosmiths, Batman66s, Star Wars etc eventually I believe you will suffer this problem. My distributer is taking this up with Stern who I'm sure will make this right.

Two inserts ghosted is below the normal threshold of replacement. That was true before the new policy. You can take it up with them as you said, but don't get your hopes up.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im still annoyed, a day later...boy I hope that this thread is brought to their attention!

I'm sure they are aware of it, and when they added the disclaimer to the Star Wars manual, I'm sure they accounted for this exact Pinside thread.

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

With about 50 commercial distributors in the US and 30 "home use" distributors, It is safe to say there are more NIB Stern pins sold to route operators than to home collectors.

I question your conclusions. I'd bet ever NIB pin sold for location sells two into homes. People end up driving to the location to try it out and see if they want to buy it for their house. Using Metallica as an example, I can't point to a single one on location, yet I know 4 friends with it in their gameroom. And that's just people I know well. This coin has flipped. Home pinball has expanded way beyond location pinball. We are the customers now.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

...no clue why stern would change things up.

Less costly for them = more profit.

#271 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Just from this 2 day old topic alone I count around 130k loss in sales

No you don't. People can be hypocrites (I'm proof). They can swear they will never buy a NIB again, and then they do. They can swear they will never pay over 5k for a game, and then they do. After getting a playfield replaced they will put their foot down and say that's it... until the right game comes out. Many of the people that say they won't buy a NIB were not going buy one to anyway. So any estimate from this forum is flawed.

1 week later
#706 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When I think of the worst ghosting on older games the title that comes to mind for me is Getaway, seen so many with the triangles in a circle in the center of the playfield ghosted to shit.

Those ones seem different to me because most times you can fill that from the outer surface. Whereas most Stern ones look to be under the clear. I think it's a different problem on Getaway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=DaveH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.