(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#777 6 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

A quick apology for getting my figures wrong above. I've just returned from NYNY and examined my playfields again. It appears that AS only has 4 ghosting inserts.
Further, I apologize for overstating the number of plays on Star Wars, and understating the number ghosting inserts. As of 1 hour ago, Star Wars had only 1,943 plays, while the number of ghosting inserts has increased to nine (9).
This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by....
Stern, where they skip that extra step to ensure that ghosting inserts are "normal".

I would expect 9 ghosting issues would qualify for a return, no?
Or are you talking about tiny slivers? Either way, I don't think anyone's going to suggest that 9 is acceptable.
Have you followed up with your distrib, or Stern?

#780 6 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Stern cares less and less about their customers needs, so I care less and less about them. In my world the CUSTOMER express a need and after that the companies show up to offer their products and services. Not the other way around. Telling me that I should get use to this or that because it is the choice they made to cut corners doesnt fly with me. I tell you my needs if you cannot get that into consideration than talk is over and no more money for you. In my world I do not settle for less because it's more cost efficient for companies. Problem with pinball is that Stern has been in a monopoly position for way too long. I own 4 Sterns and love them but I can no longer feel comfortable giving money to a company who thinks they choose for me and I will pay blindly and feel happy. I was making THEM a favor by spending my money on their expensive toys and to me that Batman super LE gimmick (tell us why you deserve to buy our machine) was the end in my book. At that point to me they admited they don't give a shit about their costumers. Maybe I should try that in a bar next time : tell me why I should let you have sex with me ? Pretty much garantee I'll be slapped and bashed a few times.

There's nothing to prove that Stern cares less about customers. They included a clause in their warranty about ghosting playfields but the warranty already stated that play fields weren't covered at all. In my opinion, it's something their lawyer suggested, so that the next time a customer decides to be an asshole, Stern can simply tell them where to go.
GuerillaBiscuit just had a StarWars playfield replaced, because he had ghosted inserts, so they definitely have not simply decided to turn their backs on the customer.
To summarize this thread so far, 1 customer had a crappy shooter lane on his Metallica that maybe should have been replaced. The operator in Vegas appears to have numerous ghosted inserts on various machines. And there's a TWD on route, somewhere with a playfield that's sketchy. Maybe a problem, maybe not. Seems undetermined.
There are other problems that Pinsiders have reported, make no mistake. But when a thread like this is created and there are so few confirmations of current existing unresolved issues, I'm feeling pretty safe with my pin-dollars being spent at Stern.
You're welcome to your own opinion of course.

#787 6 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

my apologies for being a bit too vague regarding my attitude towards this.
So to clarify: NOPE. DON'T CARE."</blockquote

So in all fairness...
You have received flawed goods, but have not even told Stern, providing them with the option of replacing it.

If that's correct, then it's certainly fair for a perspective buyer to be concerned that some pins have ghosted inserts, but let's also point out that at no time has Stern declared that they won't fix the issue.

If I were an operator and had issues, I'd ask Stern for a small rebate on my next pin purchase, offsetting the reduced value of the pin at time of sale. That would save them shipping costs too.

#789 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Flawed analysis as the majority of pinball owners are NOT on pinside let alone voicing their issues. This thread is HARDLY a summary of issues and was only created to bring awareness to Sterns new manuals. No need for smoke and mirrors, read first post to get back on topic.

So then your argument is that many pinball machines produced by Stern are flawed, but not owned by Pinsiders, and THAT'S your argument?

Give me a break.

Again, you are entitled to whatever opinion you want. Buy or don't buy. But if you're going to make statements that Stern warrants bashing, MAYBE you could provide some evidence?
I read about your KISS playfield being replaced, and it's unfortunate that your drop target has the wrong stickers on them.
It's not what I would consider bash-worthy.
Nor is the dusty playfield comment that you complained about.

For what it's worth, GuerillaBiscuit received a replacement StarWars playfield from Stern, replacing the one he had with ghosting inserts. That speaks volumes to me and provides an indication of where they stand on customer service, despite the added paragraph. Lastly, the playfield was never warrantied in the first place.

So what we need to find is an owner (or owners) who have ghosted inserts, that Stern won't replace.
Then determine what their replacement threshold is. THEN determine if that's acceptable or not.

Until then, you're just stirring the drama pot.

#798 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Soooooooo, me stating what I received from Stern is bashing? Me putting out awareness of Sterns new clause in manuals is Bashing? GOT IT! You are in the Stern Army, good for you. I in no way am bashing Stern, the fact that you think so because of my fact reporting lets everyone here know Stern can do no wrong! AGAIN READ TOP POST. Also read the rest of the thread for evidence instead of accusing me of bashing, heck I even did a video along with pics. I am not going to list the pics of my customers pins that were rejected for swaps because I am sure you will make excuses or say its not to bad and so on and so on and so on. Seriously though are pinsiders going to have to make an example out of you again? Last time you lost a bet and had to make a pinside donation. This time I am going to make you donate $100 to the Hurricane relief. PUT UP OR DRAIN THIS THREAD. $100 hurricane Harvey relief donation. What say you?

Seriously? You're trying to say that you're not CONSTANTLY bashing Stern? You're one of the worst ones on Pinside for that.
And thank you for putting words in my mouth, but I've never said that Stern can do no wrong. What I've said that nearly always, they step up and fix their mistakes. We've seen them replace GuerillaBiscuit's playfield.
It's what I was hoping would continue to happen even after reading the new paragraph that you started this thread about.
I am hopeful that will continue but no, nobody knows if that will happen or not.

For rehashing the Ghostbusters playfield thread: you're pathetic.
Go back and re-read that thread. If you think I was picking a date out of thin air, just hoping that I was right, you're even more of a piece-of-work than I think you are. If you'll notice, there were approximately 2 (give or take) more ghostbuster playfield issues after the date I drew in the sand. Lucky? If you say so.

Regarding your comments about the $100 donation: you appear to have been a little too excited when typing that out. Not sure what you're trying to say. If you're trying to one-up me, just because you're donating to a good cause, be my guest. Donations are good. You're still a Stern-bashing troll, offering little evidence, and not even acknowledging Sterns good effort of replacing the ghosted playfield.

Either way, let's all hope that they continue to keep up this practice.

#805 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Chambahz, I hope Stern gives you some Stern Army jacket patches for your defense efforts on their behalf. Maybe a stick-pin button at least.

Thanks for being a dick!
I don't want anything from Stern, with the exception of a fully operational pin when I pay for one.
I have found some issues from time to time, but Stern has always backed me 100%.

#806 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Out of curiosity what's your take on my METLE issue? I assume you are talking about me with the splintered shooter lane. Did you read the 6 month back-and-forth with Patrick? Thoughts?

Yeah, I agree whole-heartedly with you on that. Poor customer service.
I think that your email chain is helpful to Pinsiders. It shows that if you're not getting a reply in a timely manner, it's time to change channels and get someone else involved.
I never saw pics of your Met, so hard for me to agree that it was worthy of a playfield replacement, but the lack of follow up on Sterns part was not cool.

I can see why you're not supportive of them or their customer service. That said, it's one of the very few examples of Stern dropping the ball that I have heard of.

Your comments are completely warranted in my opinion, and serve to help educate potential buyers on what they might be getting into. Having said that, there are dozens of Pinsiders who are screaming bloody murder, without any issues, making Stern appear far worse then they ought to be.

In the grand scheme of things, if people were clear about why they are complaining, I think Pinside would be a better place. Complaining about a new paragraph in the warranty section is ridiculous. Seeing how Stern reacts to future ghosting play fields is what's important.

#807 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Cap can defend himself but to be fair. he's had nothing but issues with the games he's bought from Stern. Some were resolved from Stern after him fighting with them while some other issues have not. Based off his actual experience with his games and the service he's received from Stern I feel his has every right to speak negatively about their products when he feels it necessary. Inappropriate bashing to me is when someone talks bad about something they have no direct experience with but if you have direct experience (not hear say) then that door is open.

And if that's the case, it is what it is. But then let's see what the issues are. That's good info for other Pinsiders with similar issues, or potential buyers to consider.
The problem I have, is that there are so many people complaining about stuff they really aren't suffering from.

I don't defend ghosting inserts, saying they're no big deal. I'm saying that although some have gone out, Stern seems to be replacing them, as they did before that extra paragraph was included. If they stop doing that, I'll be out as well, depending on whether the ghosting is minute, or what I consider a big deal on a pin in my collection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=Chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.