(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Oh heck no.
I was really hoping they would actually fix the ghosting issue. The other manufacturers don't seem to have this problem, and I have yet to see ghosting on anything other than a couple of CV pins.

I see ghosting all the time on many games.

CV, ToTAN, IJ, TAF, TZ, HS2, GI, AFM, MB, Shadow, you name it. If it has clearcoat on it, i've probably seen a playfield or 2 that had ghosting somewhere. It's inevitable. It can happen, anywhere, any time, any manufacturer. The problem is, that inserts are shifting way earlier than expected (on these new sterns), which is causing the ghosting. it's either from the CAD cutouts of the playfield, not being tight enough for the insert. Or too tight. Or crappy glue allowing shifting. Or the insert is a plastic that is shrinking at a massively fast rate. System 11's have a bad problem with the plastic used in the inserts, reacting with the lacquer and creating air pocket bubbles in the plastic of the insert. Which when clearcoated. makes them really stand out. So many factors can create these problems, and you won't know right away. Very hard issue to track down.

if you want a pinball company to step up their game and release a better product, and reduce prices. You HAVE to stop buying. It's the only way you will be heard.

#302 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Very helpful. What I thought...but noone seems to be able to answer my question...if some are inevitable, what's the best way to deal with it. I'm sure, with all the innovation of the pinheads, someone has a good way to deal with it, and not just bitch about it.

with ghosting, there isn't really anything you can do. When I restore fields, I try to get the clear to seep back down in there , but there is no way to know if it will come back or not. I have about an 80% success ratio for getting them to seal back up. But the slightest shift, and BOOM!....it's back.

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Is it maybe not the clearcoat that's the problem, but uneven inserts? Who's putting in these inserts and are they just doing a shit job?

can't be uneven inserts. The way playfields are made, is the inserts are CAD out. then inserts are inserted. Then the whole playfield is sent through a plainer to level everything out.

Also, putting it on a light table to check for ghosting won't do shit, as you can't really see the ghosting when the inserts are lit. Only when off.

#417 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

Don't be fooled with Stern's warranty. I bought a Ghostbusters Prem from JJ at Game Exchange, who I really like doing business with, JJ is a great guy. My GB chipped in the shooter lane within the 1st 30 games. As soon as I saw the chipping I put Mylar on it and ordered Cliffy's for the shooter lane and the exit entering the ball trough. The damage was already done so I emailed JJ and sent him photos. Stern told us to keep playing the game they were at that point figuring out what they were going to do. I then started having very minor ghosting on one of my inserts. I really wasn't worried about that because it was very minor. I then started having major dimpling, so bad that if the ball came down the playfield in certain places the dimpling would effect the ball as it was coming down the playfield. Keep in mind I've been in this hobby for several years and I've had many machines and also bought some new in box. I know what dimpling is on a new machine. I know that's normal and I know after many plays this all balances out, but this was not normal. When the ball changes direction from the dimpling there's a problem. This was happening because of all the major air balls every time you played the game, and yes I bought the shield that helped some but still had air ball issues. Many many more air balls then any game I've ever owned. I took detailed photos of the dimpling and sent them to JJ and he forwarded them to Stern. I didn't know what they would do. You would think at the least they would give me a repair kit for the chipping or come up with some solution for the 100's of major air balls. Keep in mind I've got machines that were built in the 80's with no chipping and I've got 3 other Stern machines with no chipping. After JJ talked to them several times Stern decided this was normal and they did nothing. I was pretty upset, not at JJ but at Stern. After I started thinking about it, if they sent me a new playfield it was going to do the same thing if not worse. They could at least have offered to pay for the Cliffy's and the shield and a repair kit for the chipping but no they did nothing. So I fixed it all myself. The Cliffy's in the shooter lane fixed the chipping problem. I bought some angled pieces to put on the 2 stand ups that fixed 99% of the air balls so the dimpling stopped. I was lucky that the ghosting never got any worse. Now my game plays great and I'm not worried every time the ball shoots out into the shooter lane that wood is chipping away.
I said all that to say this, the clear chipping and the ghosting is not going away with Stern games any time soon. When they changed playfield suppliers this all started happening. Making playfields is an art and it takes a while to learn how to do it right. Stern can't afford to replace every playfield that they put into games. Unless you have major ghosting from inserts falling away from the clear and then that ghosting starts chipping in the middle of the playfield, Stern will do nothing. When you buy a Stern pinball, which I have several and love them, be prepared to deal with minor ghosting and chipping in the shooter lane. If you can't deal with that, I would advise before you play the 1st game put on every Cliffy that is offered for the game, and as soon as you see any problems with the way the game plays like air balls find a way to fix the problem fast yourself.
This is not a Stern bashing it's just something you will have to either live with or stop buying Stern until there playfield maker figures out how to do it right, if that ever happens. Again they can't afford to replace all these play fields over small ghosting and small chipping or they want be around long. They just can't. That's my take on the situation.

you do realize that games made in the 80's don't have clearcoat on them , so you couldn't have chipping,, and usually don't have much dimpling because you don't get airballs on early SS games.

While Ghosting is normal. It is true that these new sterns are doing it wayy premature. Maybe stern switched to water based clearcoat, as my clearcoat dist, told me, that 10 years from now, everyone will be water based clearcoat. EPA is forcing it to convert over. Which for cars is fine. but wood. I could see it not wanting to seal. But the ghosting is on the plastic, so maybe the clear is causing the plastic to react and give off some kind of minor gas. which would start to create an air pocket. Could be it's not scuffed enough before inking. there is at least 10-20 factors it could be. Tho, it does seem to be something that was changed in the process right before GB.

I told my Dist, that when they are converting permanently, let me know and i'll buy 30-40 cases of clear quickly. I do not know how the water based is going to be for playfields. The stuff I use has performed well for me for 12 years now, and I don't want to convert to anything new if I don't have to. Just asking for problems by switching a system that works.

#422 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Neo
For many folks here the only games in their collection with ghosting will be recent Stern's.
That is an indicator, not a "normal"
I do think another member here had a good point. Maybe the SW PF's were made a while back by the same GB play field folks in order for Stern to ramp up inventory on a pending release.

Yes, when he said 80's i'm thinking alien poker, mystic, paragon, things like that.

I do agree Stern has changed something, and the formula has some problems. We are seeing consistent problems. 1 or 2 games, sure...it's going to happen and not much you can do about it. When it's consistent with several releases, then something changed and effecting things.

#462 6 years ago

Stern could still sell the "full" game for $3900 and still make profit from it. Don't kid yourself that their profit margin isn't through the roof.

#578 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

This thread is depressing, go over to the AFMr threads.....Thats some happy stuff! Awesome quality machine

what's ironic, is that AFM is the stripped down version of the B/W games. It's basically the IM/GOT/RS of theirs. No other B/W dmd has less on it and more cheap looking.

#582 6 years ago

not me. I don't like AFM at all because I think it looks like an empty piece of crap and the rules are written for a 3 year old. I like clutter on my fields. Give me TZ any day over stripped down econogames.

#600 6 years ago

B/W games I call it fogging. And it wasn't the primer that caused it, it was the clear itself. Until the past 15 years or so. clear wasn't clear. It had a faint foggyness to it. Just the way the clear was. Todays technology clear is crystal clear. Trying to duplicate that foggyness is very difficult when you need to match chipped out clear on old b/w games.

#603 6 years ago

I disagree, because that foggyness is over the art as well. Clearcoat was not clear in the 90's. could be a combination of both tho. Maybe primer and foggy clear.

And early SS games that used lacquer, are not foggy at all. Look nice and clear to me. you can see jeweling just fine on games that have jeweled inserts.

#622 6 years ago

have you guys not been reading this thread or the other threads about ghosting? Why would anyone think a playfield protector or mylar is going to protect from ghosting? Ghosting has nothing to do with any of that. It's fluctuations in temp/humidity with wood vs plastic. Airbubbles under the clear. Shifting of the insert causes it. You can have a sheet of glass on top of the playfield, and if the plastic shifts...you are getting ghosting. Plain and simple.

#640 6 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

I have - guess I figured ghosting hadn't been figured out yet by stern but was either the wood playfield moving, inserts plastics changed, inserts too tight or loose, bad glue, Pf's not sanded, not allowed to cure long enough, crappy cheap different clear, poor qc, or any combination of the above. If a steel ball was to impact a compromised insert maybe the impact would cause the clear to delaminate prematurely - thus my thinking a playfield protector might insulate the insert and allow the pf to cure longer without the ball impact stress.

Not magic - more like a punch with a bare fist versus a punch with a 11oz glove - less impact = less damage was my thought

if anything the playfield protector would make things worse, as it's not allowing the playfield to breathe. But that only matters if it was cleared 90 days or sooner before getting in the customers hands. Which is highly unlikely. These are usually done months before stern even sees them, then you have them sitting in manufacturing. Ball impact stress really doesn't do much to the ghosting issue. Only way it could, is if it pushed the insert down. but the way they are CAD cut. They really can't move down, but they can move up. It's more of the wood moving outwards that causes more than anything. The wood is what flexes, not the plastic. Plastic shrinks over the years, but it's a slow process.

#674 6 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

The entire playfield is drum sanded prior to artwork being applied.

yes. Remember, we stated how playfields are made. All inserts are inserted and glued in. Then they are sent through a plainer which sands off about 1/16-1/8" off the top of the field to make it flat, level the inserts to the playfield and scuff the playfield to get ready for screen printing so the ink sticks. Then it's screen printed. Then cleared.

So i'll repeat this for the 10th time in this thread alone. The reason it ghosts at the edges is because.........wait for it..........wait............wait for it........... Because of the Wood, expanding and contracting to the edges of the plastic insert. *Gasp*. So here we go again. Lets review.

Expanding and contracting of the wood
Plastic insert does not expand and contract
There for, creating a fault line on the edges of the insert. Allowing air to sneak in the back, up under the clear. and......>TA-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Ghost pocket.

Now factors that can cause and accelerate this process. are.

Humidity and temp changes
Insert cutout too large allowing slop in the insert
Insert cutout too small allowing the insert to be forced upwards
Shrinking of the insert from the plastic shrinking (takes years and decades for this to happen)
insert made to the wrong spec and made to small or too large
silicone somehow got on the playfield
gremlins snuck into the factory and started banging on the inserts from the backside with a drill bit and a hammer.

#691 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Now, I agree to a point with what you are saying but there the problems Stern is having did not happen with W/B games so what is being done differently. I have also never seen ghosting on a restored pf except the AFM I got from you. Stern is doing something wrong and I'll bet you a beer it has something to do with them being so fucking cheap. It doesn't matter though because people will still line up to buy them and make excuses for them like a parent enabling a ill behaved child. People with more money than me. I guess I'm glad that I like me the shit W/B games because that is what I have and they will probably outlast me. Can you say that for any of the newt Stern games?

considering I restore playfields for a living and have been a professional restorer for around 11 years now. I can tell you, that i've seen every single B/W clearcoated title with ghosting in some form or another. Every single game. Doesn't matter if it's T2, GI, AFM, NGG, MB, JM, DM, RFM, MM, every single one. Seen it out of DE and Sega as well. Even capcom. I've seen it on CPR fields, and HEP fields. It's unavoidable.

Remember air humidity and extreme temp changes from being shipped around the country can be a contributing factor. Even if the plywood flexes .5 mm, if air can seep in from behind. You will get it. But it is true they could be using a new type of glue, that is giving off gas way after it's hardened. Which would force an air pocket as well.

#701 6 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

True. We don't make the playfields we just restore or recoat them.
The insert ghosting is something that occurs below the surface of the work performed and it is a matter of how well the initial factory surface is bonded.
I have over 25 years experience as a autorefinisher coupled with 15 years restoring playfields and machines.
That stated I have learned to accept insert ghosting as out of my control even though it is disappointing.
As an auto refinisher we had two different methods for painting either metal or plastic.
Knowing that this is where I see the flaw in general playfield production.
The type of pretreatment and process needed for the lens/inserts should be different than the process for wood in theory because paints and coatings easily absorb into wood but they are much tougher to bond to plastic.
Plastic cleaners,and primers are made to deal with this and must be used for the best bond even if you cannot appreciate it at the time it is a longevity consideration.
With the lenses already in place before they are screened and coated there is no way there is an independent process for each surface.
Without a way to do or address that then it is always a bit of a gamble and there seem to be time periods where it is more problematic than others.
WPC 95 is a period for Williams and it looks like the latest run of Sterns is now that equivalent.

Thank you for posting. Maybe with several of us posting, people will start to listen.

Size of the insert comes into play as well. Seems bigger inserts have better chance to ghost. Lot more surface area to shift and a lot more wood touching the insert.

#703 6 years ago

those triangle arrows like to shift a ton too. Look on F14 and Fire. They are always raised up at least 1/8". Don't know why they like to move a ton. I think it's the shape, likes to squeeze out of it's spot like fingerpops. Where a round insert has even pressure all the way around.

#708 6 years ago

that's why I think it's either a CAD issue. (insert holes not cut right) or an issue with the glue giving off gas long after the gluing process.

#710 6 years ago

on EM's, the inserts have shrank so much, there is a huge gap between the wood and the plastic. even if the glue is holding up, it's so far away from the wood, there isn't a way it could even hold. Most EM's I can pop out inserts from the backside with just a little push with my finger.

#715 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Hmmmmmm CaptainNeo what causes ribbed play fields again?

wood grain causes the vertical lines you get down the field, if that's what you are referring to.

and yes it's for her pleasure as well.

3 weeks later
#745 6 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Ghosting inserts IS the new normal on Stern pinball machines. The bottom line is that you can either accept it, as I have, or buy another brand.

It's not a new thing. It's not a stern thing. it will happen to the other brands as well. If it has clearcoat, it can happen.

Hate ghosting? Buy early SS or EM's that are not clearcoated. Problem solved.

#755 6 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I only down voted this because it's not as black and white. But yes, it can happen. The obvious response is that it never happened this quickly (years and years under routed conditions vs weeks in home) or, in many cases, never at all.
My HUO RBION (Stern 2004) is ghost free as well as the vast majority of my WPC pins. With that said, I've certainly seen light ghosting on 25 year old WPC games.

a lot has to do where you live and where you keep your games. Someone that leaves the game sit in the garage is going to ghost faster. Higher humidity areas, more ghosting. The more expanding and contracting the wood goes through, the faster it happens. We all live in different regions. Games move around totally different climate conditions. Really hard to judge which climates are speeding this process up.

#757 6 years ago

i know of several people that had a NIB game sitting in a garage when it was 90 degrees out side , until they could bring it in the house and get it setup. That's all it takes. Extreme cold or extreme heat can make it happen prematurely. I'm not saying this is the only factor, but it still is a factor. could be different levels of wood. Could be different plastic in the inserts, could be how those inserts are glued and CAD cut. I really don't think it's the clear itself. Clear really can only be made one way. Playfields are ground flat and then screen printed. So they are all scuffed the same through the leveling process. Ghosting can't be the clear or it would do it in random spots, not just on insert edges.

#760 6 years ago

some walking dead and some ST's have ghosting. People have showed them on here.

2 weeks later
#830 6 years ago

who the hell said don't reclear over old clear? It's impossible to remove. there is no way around it. That's not the best advice. I know zaccaria clear is kind of dangerous and should be only wet sanded with good ventilation. WPC and such, I clear over diamond plate almost daily. There isn't any other option.

i've been using the same clear now for around 11 years, and I still have full access to it, with no hint of it going away anytime soon. If EPA put out some regulations that limit access to certain types of clear, I have not heard about it, nor am I effected by it.

#832 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I believe that was the Black Knight. I was wondering about that too.

no he said an old restorer said. That's what I was asking.

#835 6 years ago

i'm fully aware that my job will probably kill me in the end. I do what I can, but i'm sure it will catch up to me sooner or later.

Ghosting is hit or miss. I've seen ghosting in all playfields done by every restorer. It's something we cannot control. We can get rid of it if it happens to a point. But there is nothing we can do to keep it from possibly coming back. Types of plastic and shape of the inserts does have a huge factor if they are prone to ghosting more than others.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it?tu=CaptainNeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.