(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 17.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

My GB premium was replaced end of April, sadly my populated replacement is ghosting again at the same 2 inserts. Under 3 months. Not happy.

Sorry to hear that, just nuts though.

#252 6 years ago

Speaking of Alexa, and with my apologies I dont have one, my son has Bixby, I believe, on his Samsung.
He wanted to know if there was a way where they would talk to each other non-stop?

Sorry for the short de-rail

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I see ghosting all the time on many games.
CV, ToTAN, IJ, TAF, TZ, HS2, GI, AFM, MB, Shadow, you name it. If it has clearcoat on it, i've probably seen a playfield or 2 that had ghosting somewhere. It's inevitable. It can happen, anywhere, any time, any manufacturer. The problem is, that inserts are shifting way earlier than expected (on these new sterns), which is causing the ghosting. it's either from the CAD cutouts of the playfield, not being tight enough for the insert. Or too tight. Or crappy glue allowing shifting. Or the insert is a plastic that is shrinking at a massively fast rate. System 11's have a bad problem with the plastic used in the inserts, reacting with the lacquer and creating air pocket bubbles in the plastic of the insert. Which when clearcoated. makes them really stand out. So many factors can create these problems, and you won't know right away. Very hard issue to track down.
if you want a pinball company to step up their game and release a better product, and reduce prices. You HAVE to stop buying. It's the only way you will be heard.

My Ghostbusters premium with 80 plays .
The shooter lane clear was actually chipping and delaminating as well as the ghosting inserts.
No glue or inserts in the shooter lane Neo

IMG_2796 (resized).JPGIMG_2796 (resized).JPG

#254 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

The shooter lane clear was actually chipping and delaminating as well as the ghosting inserts.

In my "unprofessional" opinion, the reason that is happening is because of how hard that the ball slams into the shooter lane. The first thing I did when I seen how hard the ball was ejecting from the ball trough to the shooter lane was turn the trough eject power down to the minimum setting. This should have been done in the code before any GB games ever reached the customers. It won't fix your damage that's already been done obviously but if I were you I would turn the trough eject power all the way down and put some Mylar over the damage in the shooter lane. Maybe it will stop it from getting any worse.

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You can't even ask questions on Stern's Facebook page about any deficiencies without being kicked off their page. They don't exactly play nice.

Yeah, I wouldn't call them out on FB. Those are the marketing guys. I'd call Pat Powers instead. He helped me troubleshoot a switch issue on my NIB MET Pro, that turned out to be a reversed diode. I asked him for a Premium manual for my troubles, and he sent it right away. I think he's in charge of both QA and tech support at Stern, but I could be wrong.

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

That is heartbreaking. We have been there. Put some Cliffys on as soon as you can and that will stop it from getting any worse. We tried Mylar but the shooter lane kept chipping under the Mylar even with the trough eject power turned right down.

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I've never understood why cliffy's are not installed on shooter lanes in the factory. They've started putting them on some scoops, but shooter lanes cop allot more abuse.

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

In my "unprofessional" opinion, the reason that is happening is because of how hard that the ball slams into the shooter lane. The first thing I did when I seen how hard the ball was ejecting from the ball trough to the shooter lane was turn the trough eject power down to the minimum setting. This should have been done in the code before any GB games ever reached the customers. It won't fix your damage that's already been done obviously but if I were you I would turn the trough eject power all the way down and put some Mylar over the damage in the shooter lane. Maybe it will stop it from getting any worse.

In my "professional" opinion that damage has nothing to do with shooter eject power and EVERYTHING to do with clear coat and or wood, maybe a combination of both. I service plenty of sterns and none that do not have the ghosting issues do not have this kind of damage and these are route pins. Damage early on like this will always get worse and NEVER improve. MNPINBALL, I would file another complaint to get ANOTHER play field and let Stern know the replacement was worse than the original. If they defer you to their new policy then ask distributor to step in. Going forward with this kind of product the distributors are going to have to speak up which will only happen when they receive charge backs for returned pins, hopefully it does not come to that. I hope you get ANOTHER replacement MNPINBALL.

#259 6 years ago

"Ghosting" Isn't an issue for me. It doesn't affect play, it is BARELY noticeable unless someone points it out, and in fact, it looks cool, like old school marbled plastic. The only real problem with "ghosting" is that it potentially hurts the resale value of the machine.

Stern is reaping the rewards of the expanding home market, but they've created a huge problem for themselves by turning commercial pinball machines into a home consumer product. Some of these potential buyers will have drastically differnt expectations for what a machine's cosmetics should look like than their traditional buyer.

The statement is surely a CYA for Stern at this point. It's also an attempt to readjust the expectations of a smaller - but growing - portion of their market.

I'm not sure how it will play out. In the end I doubt this clause in their manual costs them too many sales. Home Pinball buyers are an enthusiastic and habitual segment of their market.

I suppose they've done a cost/benefit analysis and have decided it will cost them less to place this clause in their manual in possible lost sales than it will cost them to replace any playfield that a consumer says is defective. This is a normal part of running any successful business. People shouldn't take it personally.

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

In my "professional" opinion that damage has nothing to do with shooter eject power and EVERYTHING to do with clear coat and or wood, maybe a combination of both. I service plenty of sterns and none that do not have the ghosting issues do not have this kind of damage and these are route pins. Damage early on like this will always get worse and NEVER improve. MNPINBALL, I would file another complaint to get ANOTHER play field and let Stern know the replacement was worse than the original. If they defer you to their new policy then ask distributor to step in. Going forward with this kind of product the distributors are going to have to speak up which will only happen when they receive charge backs for returned pins, hopefully it does not come to that. I hope you get ANOTHER replacement MNPINBALL.

Hey I'm just trying to help the guy so get pissed all you want to I don't care. Of course the clear coat sucks on his game, we all know that or he wouldn't have ghosting, but you can't tell me that the ball ejecting out of the eject trough as hard as it does on GB isn't busting up that shitty ass clear coat on his game. I own a GB and YOU don't so maybe I do know what I'm talking about. I mean look at where it's chipping, right where the ball ejects, any idiot can see that.

Yes he should ask for a new playfield, we all know that and I think that he already has. For the time being though just in case they decide to screw him out of one he should do EXACTLY what I told him to do, then like the other person said he should put some cliffy's on there. The second that I booted my game up I knew that eject power IS a problem and that I had to do something. Thankfully there is a trough eject power in the adjustment settings and you can turn it all the way down and it ejects nice and soft into the shooter lane. I realize that you know everything and that you are a pro at all things pinball but maybe you could learn something by listening to other people once in awhile, especially from someone who owns the game. Jesus dude you are amazing I tell ya!

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This. I use a remote control that turns on the power strip and fires up an entire room of pins with one click. Here it is...great product:

amazon.com link »

Interesting. I did however notice the 10 amp rating in the specs. Specifically it says "Power output: 1200W/10A (max)". Some using a power strip to power a bank of machines on a 20 amp circuit might want to know about this limitation.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Pat Powers:
708-786-7047

The clear coat on your shooter lane has failed and it's only going to get worse. You need to contact both Powers and your distro that sold you that GBLE. Ride their asses untill they tell you to send pictures, you spent way too much money to put up with your PF coming apart after less than 80 plays. Put your foot in their ass!

#263 6 years ago

I'm amazed that anyone would purchase a NIB $8500 pin that has a disclaimer that ghosting, chipped PF's, and faulty graphics are normal! You have been notified by Stern that this type of failure is normal so are you screwed and are you willing to take this kinda chance? The disclaimer wasn't written by Stern it was written by lawyers in an effort to keep their money in the bank, they can't afford to replace all the POS PF's

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from RickAHG:

I'm amazed that anyone would purchase a NIB $8500 pin that has a disclaimer that ghosting, chipped PF's, and faulty graphics are normal! You have been notified by Stern that this type of failure is normal so are you screwed and are you willing to take this kinda chance? The disclaimer wasn't written by Stern it was written by lawyers in an effort to keep their money in the bank, they can't afford to replace all the POS PF's

stern defenders now say that ghosting actually looks good, wtf??

stockholm syndrome at its worst!

#265 6 years ago

True American craftsmanship.... My a$$.

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Ghosting" Isn't an issue for me. It doesn't affect play, it is BARELY noticeable unless someone points it out, and in fact, it looks cool, like old school marbled plastic. The only real problem with "ghosting" is that it potentially hurts the resale value of the machine.
Stern is reaping the rewards of the expanding home market, but they've created a huge problem for themselves by turning commercial pinball machines into a home consumer product. Some of these potential buyers will have drastically differnt expectations for what a machine's cosmetics should look like than their traditional buyer.
The statement is surely a CYA for Stern at this point. It's also an attempt to readjust the expectations of a smaller - but growing - portion of their market.
I'm not sure how it will play out. In the end I doubt this clause in their manual costs them too many sales. Home Pinball buyers are an enthusiastic and habitual segment of their market.
I suppose they've done a cost/benefit analysis and have decided it will cost them less to place this clause in their manual in possible lost sales than it will cost them to replace any playfield that a consumer says is defective. This is a normal part of running any successful business. People shouldn't take it personally.

Just from this 2 day old topic alone I count around 130k loss in sales, factor in GB threads, Hey Stern are you serious threads and many others and most pinsiders will disagree with you as is evident in the poll. Please don't take it personally when some pinsiders will refuse to buy a pin from you because you think ghosting is cool on a game and don't know if you might sell them a super ghosty pin.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Hey I'm just trying to help the guy so get pissed all you want to I don't care. Of course the clear coat sucks on his game, we all know that or he wouldn't have ghosting, but you can't tell me that the ball ejecting out of the eject trough as hard as it does on GB isn't busting up that shitty ass clear coat on his game. I own a GB and YOU don't so maybe I do know what I'm talking about. I mean look at where it's chipping, right where the ball ejects, any idiot can see that.
Yes he should ask for a new playfield, we all know that and I think that he already has. For the time being though just in case they decide to screw him out of one he should do EXACTLY what I told him to do, then like the other person said he should put some cliffy's on there. The second that I booted my game up I knew that eject power IS a problem and that I had to do something. Thankfully there is a trough eject power in the adjustment settings and you can turn it all the way down and it ejects nice and soft into the shooter lane. I realize that you know everything and that you are a pro at all things pinball but maybe you could learn something by listening to other people once in awhile, especially from someone who owns the game. Jesus dude you are amazing I tell ya!

Not pissed at all, it seems you are so, relax man. You offered an "unprofessional" opinion and I offered a professional opinion as I deal with pinball on a day to day basis. Sir, YOU, don't work on multiple GB's and I DO. So for MNPINBALL to do EXACTLY as you say in your "unprofessional" opinion is funny as it is sort of an oxymoron. "HEY, in my "unprofessional" opinion do EXACTLY what I tell you" That is hilarious man, thanks.

#267 6 years ago

I'm running into serious trouble because if no one is buying NIB pins from STERN any longer from whom I can purchase my HUO?

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Ghosting".......in fact, it looks cool

Wait.... what?

I think you've written the new introduction for Sterns' next operating manual.

#269 6 years ago

Just from this 2 day old topic alone I count around 130k loss in sales, factor in GB threads, Hey Stern are you serious threads and many others and most pinsiders will disagree with you as is evident in the poll. Please don't take it personally when some pinsiders will refuse to buy a pin from you because you think ghosting is cool on a game and don't know if you might sell them a super ghosty pin.

Not pissed at all, it seems you are so, relax man. You offered an "unprofessional" opinion and I offered a professional opinion as I deal with pinball on a day to day basis. Sir, YOU, don't work on multiple GB's and I DO. So for MNPINBALL to do EXACTLY as you say in your "unprofessional" opinion is funny as it is sort of an oxymoron. "HEY, in my "unprofessional" opinion do EXACTLY what I tell you" That is hilarious man, thanks.

I offered the guy some good friendly advice to help wit his problem for the time being, he can agree or disagree with it that's up to him. I like to help people when I can and I don't feel bad about trying to help someone out, especially when the information that I gave him was good information. I really don't care what your opinion of it is. If you're such an expert it seems like you would know that the trough eject on GB is set extremely too high and so high that it will damage people's shooter lanes.

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

all while prices continue to rise and quality declines, then being nice will accomplish nothing. I actually think customers have been too nice up to this point.

but you know that the only way it changes, the only way Stern hears us, is no nib purchase anymore

#271 6 years ago

Just from this 2 day old topic alone I count around 130k loss in sales

No you don't. People can be hypocrites (I'm proof). They can swear they will never buy a NIB again, and then they do. They can swear they will never pay over 5k for a game, and then they do. After getting a playfield replaced they will put their foot down and say that's it... until the right game comes out. Many of the people that say they won't buy a NIB were not going buy one to anyway. So any estimate from this forum is flawed.

#272 6 years ago

Hey Stern.
Build Better!

#273 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I've yet to find this setting in my KISS or BM66.

#274 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

No you don't. People can be hypocrites (I'm proof). They can swear they will never buy a NIB again, and then they do. They can swear they will never pay over 5k for a game, and then they do. After getting a playfield replaced they will put their foot down and say that's it... until the right game comes out. Many of the people that say they won't buy a NIB were not going buy one to anyway. So any estimate from this forum is flawed.

While i agree with this statement i cant help but to notice that the tide is changing. My last nib was GB and the only reason why i bought the damn thing is because i had in writing from my distro that i woukd be covered if my pf had ghosting. Short of that i wouldnt have bought the game.

At that time thr pro model wad at the top of what i wanted to pay and i knew eventually star wars would come around and that i would have to sell a game ro get it.

But the fact that the price difference between my gb and star wars is more than 1k makes this title unworthy on price alone.

Now factor in ghosting problems that are now considered normal and i automatically have stopped caring what stern dishes out.

Bullshit pricing, bullshit lowring of features, bullshit legal clauses = im not drinking their koolaid.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from RickAHG:

Pat Powers:
708-786-7047
The clear coat on your shooter lane has failed and it's only going to get worse. You need to contact both Powers and your distro that sold you that GBLE. Ride their asses untill they tell you to send pictures, you spent way too much money to put up with your PF coming apart after less than 80 plays. Put your foot in their ass!

dont they send u a 'clear coat repair kit' ?

#276 6 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

dont they send u a 'clear coat repair kit' ?

LMAO. Have you seen this kit? It laughable at best.

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

LMAO. Have you seen this kit? It laughable at best.

i forgot this sorry.

#278 6 years ago

DaveH and to further prove that people are pissed off I just posted a post on Where's the Code about this new clause and is by far one of the most talked about post "ever" with a reach of 3400. If people would hit "Share" and put it on their timeline that number would quadruple in an amount of minutes.

People must understand that pinside is isolated and Stern doesn't really give a shit because we are our own little island. But if word can get out outside the perimeter, that's when things get interesting. I'm also realistic that this numbers are small but if people really want to raise their voices..... well...there is a way.

I'm not a specifically a Stern hater. I've owned more Sterns than any other brand of games. I just hate how they treat their bread and butter.

https://www.facebook.com/wheresthecode/ go ahead and share away.

post-stern (resized).jpgpost-stern (resized).jpg

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I've yet to find this setting in my KISS or BM66.

It may not be on those games, I'm not sure? It's definitely on GB though and it's definitely needed also because the ball just slams into the shooter lane big time. I have TWD, AS, and GOT and those three games do not shoot the ball out with anywhere near the same force as GB does. I don't know if those games have that setting or not?

#280 6 years ago

Stern changed playfield supplier to someone newer, and cheaper.

The new supplier can not make playfields as good as Churchill.

Stern blames picky buyers for warranty costs, and will blame customers again when sales fall.

Game over - No code updates for you.

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Hey I'm just trying to help the guy so get pissed all you want to I don't care.

The guy you were trying to "help" is one of the most connected guys in the hobby. He knows exactly what he should do... the point of his post was to plainly prove the postulations from neo were woefully inadequate.

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The guy you were trying to "help" is one of the most connected guys in the hobby. He knows exactly what he should do... the point of his post was to plainly prove the postulations from neo were woefully inadequate.

Well I don't know who the guy is sorry, and i was offering him some advice that I thought may be of use to him. If it isn't that is fine and I'm ok with that as I am sure that he is as well. I doubt if he takes offense to someone trying to help him. I will listen to anyone's advice I don't care who they are, doesn't mean that I got to take it. I appreciate anyone trying to help me and I'm certainly not going to be a dick and down vote them for trying to help me.

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Stern changed playfield supplier to someone newer, and cheaper.
The new supplier can not make playfields as good as Churchill.
Stern blames picky buyers for warranty costs, and will blame customers again when sales fall.
Game over - No code updates for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are making playfields in another part of the world. About a little over a year ago they posted a video of playfields being wired up and assembled on Facebook. Since that time they took the video down. In the videoclip it was all Mexican people speaking Spanish. On their webpage I asked "Is this factory in Chicago because all the workers in the videoclip were not speaking english. I was immediately banned from posting on their Facebook page and the video was removed off the site.

It was about that time that their issues with the playfields seemed to start so I definitely think there is a connection there but Stern will never confirm that their stuff is being made outside the USA and they still have their production facility in Chicago so they can always say hey we produce in the USA. But I have my doubts.

#284 6 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are making playfields in another part of the world. About a little over a year ago they posted a video of playfields being wired up and assembled on Facebook. Since that time they took the video down. In the videoclip it was all Mexican people speaking Spanish. On their webpage I asked "Is this factory in Chicago because all the workers in the videoclip were not speaking english. I was immediately banned from posting on their Facebook page and the video was removed off the site.
It was about that time that their issues with the playfields seemed to start so I definitely think there is a connection there but Stern will never confirm that their stuff is being made outside the USA and they still have their production facility in Chicago so they can always say hey we produce in the USA. But I have my doubts.

You were probably banned because the comment was perceived has "racist". No they dont have a factory in Mexico but they do employ a lot of immigrants (not a bad thing).

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ok, not really a huge deal in grand scheme of things on a one off basis for me BUT it's a crusher when and if you go and try and sell it.

My thoughts exactly!

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Stern's manufacturing costs are at a record low.
Stern's profits are at a record high.
Stern's quality is continuing to decline.
People still standing in-line to buy NIB sight unseen.
WTF is wrong with you people?

And now that this is clearly stated in the owners manual there is no amount of bitching that should be tolerated should you buy one of these machines and you have ghosting.

Now is the time to put up or shut up and show STERN by no longer opening your wallets.

#287 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Ghosting" Isn't an issue for me. It doesn't affect play, it is BARELY noticeable unless someone points it out, and in fact, it looks cool, like old school marbled plastic.

Are you always trolling?

Ghosting looks cool....Are you joking?

#288 6 years ago

Please don't take it personally when some pinsiders will refuse to buy a pin from you because you think ghosting is cool on a game and don't know if you might sell them a super ghosty pin.

See this is what I mean. I don't take your comment personally because I know you don't understand this part of this business. I've been selling pinball machines - hundreds of them - for over 15 years. In the same time I've been involved in hundreds of flamewars, catfights, and sludgefests - usually in good fun i'd hope - but it's never hurt my reputation when it comes to selling pins. Because when people buy games, they do a cost/benefit analysis. And they know that even if they disagree with me on an opinion, it's irrelevant to the probability that they'll be happy with a game they buy from me, based upon my decade-and-a-half record of fair dealing.

Nobody is going to hesitate to buy from me because I think ghosting look cool and that Stern's course of action here is perfectly reasonable. And Stern isn't going to lose many sales due to this clause because in the long run, Stern games are cool and people will get over it. On the other hand, if they continue to replace any playfield that a customer perceives as ghosting - or dimpling, let's not forget - they'll have a huge potential problem.

I have a Funhouse for sale on Facebook. I've received literally a half-dozen PMs from people who want to know if my game has a new playfield, new ramps, new cab decals, etc. I had to post a comment in the thread pointing out that if my game had ANY of these things, I'd have mentioned it already and the game would in fact be priced much higher. I thought it was necessary to readjust the expectations of some of the potential buyers I have for this machine. I felt this could save them - and me - some potential hassles down the road.

That's what Stern is doing here. I don't understand why it's making people angry. They are trying to run a business not make friends. Everybody has to decide for themselves if they want to do business with Stern, but they should leave the emotion out of it.

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Are you always trolling?
Ghosting looks cool....Are you joking?

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how crazy it is

#290 6 years ago

I have one other thought as to why this may have happened. We all know Star Wars has been in the pipeline for a long time and has been pushed back from release a few times. Is it possible these playfields were run/manufactured at the same time as GB, with the same processes?

If so, was this disclaimer for STERN to cover their collective ass so they wouldn't have to re-run all of these playfields? You know, we have these, use them mentality? Is this a stop gap until the next machine is announced at EXPO and Gary can proudly announce the playfield issues have been resolved?

In other words, a calculated gamble because hey, it's Star Wars, it's going to sell no matter what?

#291 6 years ago

I'm new to this hobby, so feel free to ignore what's sure to be an uninformed and unpopular opinion :

Quoted from beelzeboob:

My tolerance for CQ issues with any manufacturer is inversely proportional to the price of the machine. Period.
So for an $8500 machine with hardly any bells and whistles, that f**ker better be near perfect.

That's the problem. $8500 is cheap.

Adjusted for inflation, that's comparable to what they were getting for arcade machines in the 80s. Nowadays, the machines are more complicated, and produced at lower volume. ... but the buyers expect a museum piece instead of a banger to go in a bowling alley.

I'm sure it's been rough transitioning from selling to business people, to selling to individuals.

Screenshot_6 (resized).pngScreenshot_6 (resized).png

#292 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Ghosting" Isn't an issue for me. It doesn't affect play, it is BARELY noticeable unless someone points it out, and in fact, it looks cool

Wow, I never noticed how totally freakin' cool ghosting is before you mentioned it! These aren't the gullible pinsiders you're looking for...move along, move along.

IMG_0088 (resized).JPGIMG_0088 (resized).JPG

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well I don't know who the guy is sorry, and i was offering him some advice that I thought may be of use to him. If it isn't that is fine and I'm ok with that as I am sure that he is as well. I doubt if he takes offense to someone trying to help him. I will listen to anyone's advice I don't care who they are, doesn't mean that I got to take it. I appreciate anyone trying to help me and I'm certainly not going to be a dick and down vote them for trying to help me.

Oh camon man, there is no need for name calling, be professional in a sense on here. Look I apologize I offended you, water under the bridge and so on. A lot of us on here know MNPINBALL knows his stuff owning 90 pins. So your advice almost sounded to us like you were chiding him sort of like a grown man talking to another grown man like he was a child or something. No worries you dint know.

#294 6 years ago

Well after this Stern Policy, I'm guessing a lot more of us have been band from there facebook page.

What a Joke, looks like I'm buying HUO from now on.

#295 6 years ago

Is the Stern Army supposed to be a militant group?

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

What a Joke, looks like I'm buying HUO from now on.

I see this bandied about a lot.

Serious question time ... If no one is buying these Stern pins anymore because of *insert Pinside complaint of the day*, who would you purchase it from?

Second question ... You do find a HUO of *insert awesome game you really want* and it has *insert Pinside complaint of the day* issues, how much would you expect to save?

Eventually my RUO pins will come up for sale (unless I love the game, TWD, I'm looking at you). Pin has depreciated tax wise, has had thousands of plays, and has *insert Pinside complaint of the day* issues, how much would you expect to save?

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

They missed out a paragraph.
'Code may or may not be updated after the release of a game. It is normal for some games to be abandoned.'

100%

#298 6 years ago

I know it sucks but that little bit of ghosting does not make the entire pin "a piece of junk". I don't get the segment of the hobby that buys pins immediately after a theme is announce. No plays, no wait and see if any issues, or where the code is at. Once they own the pin then they act like Stern pulled a fast one on them. I get the complaints where qc issues where part of some runs and not others. I ended up with a MET pro with a pretty bad ghosting insert. I just don't see how you could expect Stern to replace the playfield at the cost of big money over something like that where it's only cosmetic. It does however affect my decision to buy more Stern pins. One thing I liked about Stern pins was their reliability and quality. They might of cut a few corners but their pins would just work play after play. I don't have that same feeling anymore.

#299 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

keith Elwin had a JAWS cap on at pin burgh today

I would have been happier to hear that he was wearing an "archer" ball cap

#300 6 years ago

Oh camon man, there is no need for name calling, be professional in a sense on here. Look I apologize I offended you, water under the bridge and so on. A lot of us on here know MNPINBALL knows his stuff owning 90 pins. So your advice almost sounded to us like you were chiding him sort of like a grown man talking to another grown man like he was a child or something. No worries you dint know.

It's all good, not a big deal. I was actually trying to help him, I had no idea if he was a noob in the hobby or someone that knows a million times more than what I do. I do believe that I have seen his name on here now that I think of it but maybe he changed his avatar or something and I didn't recognize him or something like that. It's cool though....we are good no worries.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it/page/6?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.