(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 17.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm right there with you, brother. As I just said in the other thread, Stern may have won this battle in terms of selling to me, but they've lost the war in the long term.

Yup it's sad. It's like they just knew star wars would sell them selves. I hope they lose alot if customers and rethink their issues. I don't want them to fail but I want them to go in timeout for a few minutes and think about what they did

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Is it weird that I want to buy a SW, but at the same time I want it to fail and hopefully send stern a lesson? I'm confused

We are all confused. I thought you weren't supposed to bite the hand that feeds you........

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I thought you weren't supposed to bite the hand that feeds you........

But if that hand is full of cash, it's so yummy!

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

But if that hand is full of cash, it's so yummy!

Until that hand full of cash stops coming back.....oh wait

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Isn't this the same company that started a kickstarter campaign so they could produce a book?

No. The book was not written or published by Stern.

#106 6 years ago

Well this isnt good.

Im thinking of my distributor, and how we have a relationship, like Im sure many of us do.
This falls now on their shoulders.

I would, and others might request the game to be showroom played and free of defects.

What are they going to do if hit with complaints that are below Sterns threshold?

Seems like used, HUO, with some mileage is the only way....

That or a different print method, and a plastic sheet layer.....no clearcoat....???

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Seems like used, HUO, with some mileage is the only way....
That or a different print method, and a plastic sheet layer.....no clearcoat....???

Or they could just stop being lowering their standards and costs and resort back to their processes that where problem free a couple years ago??

#108 6 years ago

I think there are changes chemically made, due to environmental....is this true?

#109 6 years ago

Well I had ghosting on my smve. Sent in pictures got the box for replacement this week. That being said I'm probably not going though the replacement process.

Why ? I'm a mechanical nitwit, I see all those wires
No way I'm dealing with that. So I can pay someone to deal with that then pay to replace? Probably not because I love the game and probably won't sell. So I'm not so worried about resale. In the final analysis my ghosting is not as bad as I've seen in pictures. My smve still looks killer and is a dream to play.

P.S. if they come out with Tron VE I'm in.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I think there are changes chemically made, due to environmental....is this true?

No idea, when where those regulations enforced in the US? was it the last year or so?

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Well I had ghosting on my smve. Sent in pictures got the box for replacement this week. That being said I'm probably not going though the replacement process.
No way I'm dealing with that. So I can pay someone to deal with that then pay to replace? Probably not because I love the game and probably won't sell. So I'm no so worried about resale. In the final analysis my ghosting is not as bad as I've seen in pictures.
The game still looks killer and is dream to play.

Take photos and a good tip is do little videos tracing each wire/connection from backbox to playfield, you will be surprised how simple a swap will be if you take enough photos for reference and vids help if you loose track, also handy to mark them up.

#112 6 years ago

I stopped buying from Stern in protest to code (XMLE and STLE) prior to had bought 4 NIB in 2 years but none since ST. I have all Stern currently, but my later purchases have been complete code (SM, TWD, Met, LotR and Tspp).

Plus Stern quality has been very suspect for $5-8K pins.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

No idea, when where those regulations enforced in the US? was it the last year or so?

It was part of the discussion last year with GB. Some posts shared that there was not only a vendor change, but a clear coat chemical change.

Sorry I dont remember more, or if this was accurate.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Then wouldn't every manufacturer be having the same problem?

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm right there with you, brother. As I just said in the other thread, Stern may have won this battle in terms of selling to me, but they've lost the war in the long term.

STERN! Are you listening. I will buy SW, but all future purchases will be determined on your response in the near future to problems...and I have a Met Pro with ghosting of 6+ inserts...I'm reasonable about small defects, but wake up...there are companies willing and ready to replace you...your move.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Then why isn't every manufacturer having the same problem?

This!! Blaming the changing clearcoat technology is BS, car manufacturers and paint suppliers have been dealing with this for years, and today's clearcoat paints when formulated correctly are stronger and more durable than ever before. The key is using the right, i.e. the more expensive, formula of clearcoat.

The other thing that may be affecting this ghosting is the rest time of the inserts versus wood. If the playfield is painted too quickly after the inserts are set into the playfield the epoxy or whatever used to glue the inserts may not have time to set correctly.

Either way, if Stern wanted to seriously fix this ghosting issue it is well within their powers to do so....

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

STERN! Are you listening. I will buy SW, but all future purchases will be determined on your response in the near future to problems...and I have a Met Pro with ghosting of 6+ inserts...I'm reasonable about small defects, but wake up...there are companies willing and ready to replace you...your move.

You have a Met Pro with multiple ghosted inserts and your still buying a SW Pro, if they are listening and you want them to wake up, your kind of sending them the wrong message

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

No way I'm dealing with that. So I can pay someone to deal with that then pay to replace? Probably not because I love the game and probably won't sell. So I'm not so worried about resale. In the final analysis my ghosting is not as bad as I've seen in pictures. My smve still looks killer and is a dream to play.

Mate, it's 3 connections then pull the playfield out.
Same to go back in.
Had this with my early release GBLE.
Do it!

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

You have a Met Pro with multiple ghosted inserts and your still buying a SW Pro, if they are listening and you want them to wake up, your kind of sending them the wrong message

Agree...but I hope that there is an in field fix coming from a 3rd party...or I get lucky and have a good playfield...sorry, criticize me, yell at me, say I'm wrong...but this is my grail pinball...even with the ghosted inserts my wife and I have played about 4000 games in 1 year. We usually have a tournament going. Love playing it. This is not an investment, but a form of entertainment. Some people buy boats...we buy pins. I think we will have a blast with Star Wars. I agree, we shouldn't buy Stern because of the QC probs and them cheapening the quality...but this is my weak point...sorry, but I will enjoy it...that's the way it is.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

For a moment today, watching the Pinburgh finals, I actually considered ditching my SWLE order and getting DILE. It was a fleeting thought, but that was the first time it happened since either game was announced. That feeling is only going to get stronger for me when it comes to JJP/Stern decisions in the future if Stern continues with their shenanigans.

Remember when we were getting pissed at JJP 2-3 years ago for their BS? My, how the tables have turned...

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

For a moment today, watching the Pinburgh finals, I actually considered ditching my SWLE order and getting DILE. It was a fleeting thought, but that was the first time it happened since either game was announced. That feeling is only going to get stronger for me when it comes to JJP/Stern decisions in the future if Stern continues with their shenanigans.
Remember when we were getting pissed at JJP 2-3 years ago for their BS? My, how the tables have turned...

They used di in the finals?

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Agree...but I hope that there is an in field fix coming from a 3rd party...or I get lucky and have a good playfield...sorry, criticize me, yell at me, say I'm wrong...but this is my grail pinball...even with the ghosted inserts my wife and I have played about 4000 games in 1 year. We usually have a tournament going. Love playing it. This is not an investment, but a form of entertainment. Some people buy boats...we buy pins. I think we will have a blast with Star Wars. I agree, we shouldn't buy Stern because of the QC probs and them cheapening the quality...but this is my weak point...sorry, but I will enjoy it...that's the way it is.

Oh no way, I don't think we should stop buying pins, I want to be able to continue supporting Stern for years to come, but not at present, what we can all do is not buy now blind, premiums will be in production for years so we can sit back and wait for Stern to wake up.

Once Stern relise we won't just all go out and buy blind regardless of all their cost cutting related defects, they have to make changes, until then they will unfortunately continue on this downward spiral, I just hope they don't get so deep in this hole of poor quality and cost cutting that they get to a point where they can't get back out.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

They will all have have problems. Stern should know better...fix your sh@! Or risk losing the lead. Competition is good. Spooky, JJP, etc. are coming for Stern and they should be worried. After this one ( because it has a huge following) they are done, unless they get their sh@! together.

#125 6 years ago

I honestly think that Stern sees we are at the pinnacle of the pinball resurgence. The only way to go from here is down. We are the last people around to keep this hobby alive. The market is oversaturated with new pins and will remain flooded for many years to come. Stern's on one final cash grab and then they're gone. They don't give a shit because they don't have to. Just my two cents.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

They used di in the finals?

Yep. First of four games. And when you see what the game is telling you to do and how the lights interact with everything you're doing, it's simply brilliant. I thought it's been really fun every time I've played, and I didn't know what I was doing. Watching these guys play that game was a real treat.

Quoted from dnapac:

They will all have have problems. Stern should know better...fix your sh@! Or risk losing the lead. Competition is good. Spooky, JJP, etc. are coming for Stern and they should be worried. After this one ( because it has a huge following) they are done, unless they get their sh@! together.

This is spot on. They're getting away with it (with me and others) because it's Star Wars. But they're doing real damage to their customer base going forward. I'm really bitter about that company now, and taking a much closer look at DI (or the JJP POTC) and Houdini as my next machine. I don't even care what Stern's next 5 games are...and I can't be the only one that feels that way.

#127 6 years ago

Here is whats clear in my view.

Stern have not fixed this problem.

If you have a machine made since March 2016 then you are on a ticking time bomb.

My GB was made in August 2016. Just over a week ago I noticed two of the inserts are ghosting. Didn't start happening until this month. So all those with GB's, Aerosmiths, Batman66s, Star Wars etc eventually I believe you will suffer this problem. My distributer is taking this up with Stern who I'm sure will make this right.

Neil.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I cannot wait to watch Jaws, Iron Maiden, Slayer, or the Muppets come out next and see how many people here "just cannot resist" and buy another game.
Can. Not. Wait.

keith Elwin had a JAWS cap on at pin burgh today

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

Mate, it's 3 connections then pull the playfield out.
Same to go back in.
Had this with my early release GBLE.
Do it!

FWIW to state the obvious, SMVE is SAM, GB is Spike.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

It's not as bad as you think. If you want help, pm me and if you are close enough I will come and help you. But I will warn yoi, it might cost you a beer or two..lol

#131 6 years ago

I bought nib ST premium a few years ago, that was my last nib from stern, and that most likely goes for all of us in the know in west Texas. It's sick and sad. I really like some of sterns pins, but this new policy is unacceptable.

This sounds like the excuse of most millennial kids I know; only wanting to get paid and not take responsibility for sub par work or damage they cause.

I feel sorry for the ignorant in this matter.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yep. First of four games. And when you see what the game is telling you to do and how the lights interact with everything you're doing, it's simply brilliant. I thought it's been really fun every time I've played, and I didn't know what I was doing. Watching these guys play that game was a real treat.

This is spot on. They're getting away with it (with me and others) because it's Star Wars. But they're doing real damage to their customer base going forward. I'm really bitter about that company now, and taking a much closer look at DI (or the JJP POTC) and Houdini as my next machine. I don't even care what Stern's next 5 games are...and I can't be the only one that feels that way.

Nice i will have to check it out....so i can learn what to do if i ever get a undamaged one lol.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

keith Elwin had a JAWS cap on at pin burgh today

It's ANOTHER HINT that Jaws is next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted from dnapac:

*hears the record buzz and everything in the room stops*

Wait a minute....

Quoted from dnapac:

I have a Met Pro with ghosting of 6+ inserts

yet.....

Quoted from dnapac:

...but I hope...I get lucky and have a good playfield...sorry, criticize me, yell at me, say I'm wrong...but this is my grail pinball...

I agree, we shouldn't buy Stern because of the QC probs and them cheapening the quality...but this is my weak point...sorry, but I will enjoy it...that's the way it is.

Well, not yelling AT you, but I will say:

This....RIGHT HERE.... is exactly why Stern will not address their issues. They are putting out sub-par crap at insane prices, and some people cannot eat that shit sandwich fast enough. They are actually pulling a CYA method to KEEP people that "can't help themselves" buying games with the mentality of "oh, this is normal...." What a load of MFing bs.

Can you imagine if hospital equipment that keeps people on life support was being put out at Stern's quality level? Morgues wouldn't be able to keep up....

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I honestly think that Stern sees we are at the pinnacle of the pinball resurgence. The only way to go from here is down. We are the last people around to keep this hobby alive. The market is oversaturated with new pins and will remain flooded for many years to come. Stern's on one final cash grab and then they're gone. They don't give a shit because they don't have to. Just my two cents.

definitely possible, but i disagree. We arent that old and millenials seem to be increasingly interested in pinball, barcades and other things. Cidercade in Dallas has a line out the building during peak hours with a young-ish crowd...People can get on an app to get a "hook up", satisfy their sexual urges, and socialize. Tech in this way is replacing the need for the traditional bar scene in many ways...Pinball may be a unique enough social experience to bring more people in. I would start up a location someday maybe, or just get more friends

#135 6 years ago

The friend thing was somewhat of a joke, but who doesnt want more!!?

#136 6 years ago

Perhaps Stern's new slogan for their company should be "MAKING PINBALL GREAT AGAIN!"

#137 6 years ago

If they use that to hide from replacements, the picky collector will be done buying NIB.

GBLE was my last NIB Stern game. It's not worth the headaches or hassle anymore.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

It's ANOTHER HINT that Jaws is next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hears the record buzz and everything in the room stops*
Wait a minute....

Coparing pins to people's lives is disturbing. You want to make money, become a route operator, if you are a home player, it's what you like. Seriously, that is a disturbed statement.
yet.....

Well, not yelling AT you, but I will say:
This....RIGHT HERE.... is exactly why Stern will not address their issues. They are putting out sub-par crap at insane prices, and some people cannot eat that shit sandwich fast enough. They are actually pulling a CYA method to KEEP people that "can't help themselves" buying games with the mentality of "oh, this is normal...." What a load of MFing bs.
Can you imagine if hospital equipment that keeps people on life support was being put out at Stern's quality level? Morgues wouldn't be able to keep up....

#139 6 years ago

Seriously, you are comparing life saving treatment to pinaball...that is disturbing.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

. If they have, can anyone with first hand experience tell me how they have responded. I agree that there can be slight probs with any machine, but if I'm paying as much as a car, I do expect a certain amount of responsibility.

No major issues with Spooky bought a used AMH , any questions or concerns were handled exceptionally well with personal emails from Charlie and Ben , plus the code was (IMO) very complete and yet they still updated these units!
Keep in mind that only 150 units made. The play field was like a piece of glass and performed solidly!

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

No major issues with Spooky bought a used AMH , any questions or concerns were handled exceptionally well with personal emails from Charlie and Ben , plus the code was (IMO) very complete and yet they still updated these units!
Keep in mind that only 150 units made. The play field was like a piece of glass and performed solidly!

Thanks. Helpful quote. I'm very excited about Spooky. Will give Stern good competition!

#142 6 years ago

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Funniest part of this is you guys will keep buying these. I quit buying sterns 6 yrs ago when I went in to a distributer to buy tron. They were like you have to pay more for all features. I flipped stern off and never returned. But now a days is a fucking joke, 10- 15k nib lol. Good luck getting raped by stern.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Does this mean no more playfield replacements if you find ghosting inserts? If so, no more NIB sterns for me.

Exactly what it means

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

And don't forget,the clear coat nowerdays is not the same quality clearcoat as 30 years ago,because people died inhaling that paint..
It sadly was way better clearcoat though...the proof?
No ghosting on the old skool pins.

I did not realize they substantially changed the clear coating formula and possibly methods. Interesting. When did this change occur?

#145 6 years ago

Ok. this is bull siht and the final straw.
With the addition of that clause to Stern's manuals... I'm now steadfastly against anything Stern now sells.
Stern has made a past customer, an enemy with this addition to their manual.
I will now be recommending people NOT buy NIB Stern machines.

Congrats on loosing this customer, Stern. Even if I won the lottery tomorrow; I'll never own another NIB Stern... even if they do a Star Trek: Discovery pin.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

FWIW to state the obvious, SMVE is SAM, GB is Spike.

Whoops, my bad.

#147 6 years ago

Times have changed

Gary[1] (resized).jpgGary[1] (resized).jpg

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I think what Stern is trying to say with this clause is, "if your playfield is fu@%ed, we're going to take care of you, but can we please stop the nitpicky minutia of searching for imperfections, and demanding museum quality production??!". It's simply not attainable.

How old are the words dimpling and ghosting here? Do the ball heavier than 10 years ago?

Stern means that when pinball machines were used for location, distributors were less picky than collectors?

Truth is elsewhere. Stern is cutting building cost. As the market is destined now for collectors stern thinks playfield are less stressed in an home use environment and so build them in a less qualitative way.

Have a deposit on my next SW Premium so I will to go to complete it but enough is enough, never preordering another one as this new policy is a shame.

#149 6 years ago

I had ordered an ac/dc premium, and well I will cancel it, hoping to find a solution with my dealer...
I am all the more disappointed, that was for me my first nib...

#150 6 years ago

I just saw a near perfect "No Good Gophers" a few days ago; not a damn thing wrong with it. No ghosting. No issues whatsoever. Then it took me a moment to realize that I hadn't played the game (in person) in TWENTY YEARS. So, the year is 2017, and it appears with Stern that their tech hasn't progressed as much as it should have and are seemingly going backwards if they can't produce a playfield that's not f'ed up out the box, or chips away a few months later.

I saw this guy's youtube video about his replacement GB playfield that he finally got through his very persistent local dealer and it only took Stern NINE MONTHS to ship out a replacement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it/page/3?hl=tbutler6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.