(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.
#701 6 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

True. We don't make the playfields we just restore or recoat them.
The insert ghosting is something that occurs below the surface of the work performed and it is a matter of how well the initial factory surface is bonded.
I have over 25 years experience as a autorefinisher coupled with 15 years restoring playfields and machines.
That stated I have learned to accept insert ghosting as out of my control even though it is disappointing.
As an auto refinisher we had two different methods for painting either metal or plastic.
Knowing that this is where I see the flaw in general playfield production.
The type of pretreatment and process needed for the lens/inserts should be different than the process for wood in theory because paints and coatings easily absorb into wood but they are much tougher to bond to plastic.
Plastic cleaners,and primers are made to deal with this and must be used for the best bond even if you cannot appreciate it at the time it is a longevity consideration.
With the lenses already in place before they are screened and coated there is no way there is an independent process for each surface.
Without a way to do or address that then it is always a bit of a gamble and there seem to be time periods where it is more problematic than others.
WPC 95 is a period for Williams and it looks like the latest run of Sterns is now that equivalent.

Thank you for posting. Maybe with several of us posting, people will start to listen.

Size of the insert comes into play as well. Seems bigger inserts have better chance to ghost. Lot more surface area to shift and a lot more wood touching the insert.

#702 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Seems bigger inserts have better chance to ghost

On GB its the two smallest inserts that are universally ghosting, the Tobin insert and the one right next to it.

Guessing its coming from the scoop eject hits.

#703 6 years ago

those triangle arrows like to shift a ton too. Look on F14 and Fire. They are always raised up at least 1/8". Don't know why they like to move a ton. I think it's the shape, likes to squeeze out of it's spot like fingerpops. Where a round insert has even pressure all the way around.

#704 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

On GB its the two smallest inserts that are universally ghosting, the Tobin insert and the one right next to it.
Guessing its coming from the scoop eject hits.

It probably also does not help that there is very little wood between those two inserts.

#705 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

those triangle arrows like to shift a ton too. Look on F14 and Fire. They are always raised up at least 1/8". Don't know why they like to move a ton. I think it's the shape, likes to squeeze out of it's spot like fingerpops. Where a round insert has even pressure all the way around.

When I think of the worst ghosting on older games the title that comes to mind for me is Getaway, seen so many with the triangles in a circle in the center of the playfield ghosted to shit.

#706 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When I think of the worst ghosting on older games the title that comes to mind for me is Getaway, seen so many with the triangles in a circle in the center of the playfield ghosted to shit.

Those ones seem different to me because most times you can fill that from the outer surface. Whereas most Stern ones look to be under the clear. I think it's a different problem on Getaway.

#707 6 years ago

This thread is an interesting read. It is great to hear from some of the folks with experience finishing playfields (CaptainNeo, HEP).

I think that it should be expected that over time playfields have a higher probability of ghosting, however, the issue here is that NIB playfields are ghosting immediately and that shouldn't be expected or acceptable especially when this was not a prevalent issue previously. So something has changed for sure.

I have HUO LOTR, IM, Tron, SM, XM, WPT & MET and none of these have any signs of ghosting or clear cracking. Not a single pin has more than 3k plays and all are kept in my basement and do not experience any significant temperature or humidity fluctuations. If this did develop now I would not be upset (things do age), however, I would be more than slightly annoyed if a bought a NIB with these playfield issues. I am not one for rolling the dice so I have decided to only buy on the used-market so that I can see what I am getting.

Not really any different that researching buying a used car - some makes/models/vintages should be avoided. Always take 'em for a test drive and know what to look for.

#708 6 years ago

that's why I think it's either a CAD issue. (insert holes not cut right) or an issue with the glue giving off gas long after the gluing process.

#709 6 years ago

is it possible that part of the problem is that the inserts are forced into a hole that's tight to begin? look at the older EMs. when the inserts fall out of the holes due to the glue breaking down over 40+ years, they fit right back into the insert holes and you simply have to glue them back in place

and if I'm not mistake, the inserts are \ / wedge shaped instead of / \ shaped, so the tension placed on the inserts in one of an outward motion over time.

I think that without knowing the exact procedure, timing and type of glue being used, there are too many unknowns to really try and nail down the exact issue. one thing is for sure, whatever stern is doing, it's significantly different than what spooky, jjp and cpr are doing since they have significantly less (if not any) issues in this area

#710 6 years ago

on EM's, the inserts have shrank so much, there is a huge gap between the wood and the plastic. even if the glue is holding up, it's so far away from the wood, there isn't a way it could even hold. Most EM's I can pop out inserts from the backside with just a little push with my finger.

#711 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

on EM's, the inserts have shrank so much, there is a huge gap between the wood and the plastic. even if the glue is holding up, it's so far away from the wood, there isn't a way it could even hold. Most EM's I can pop out inserts from the backside with just a little push with my finger.

Thank you very much for posting honest answers. This is what pinball needs to succeed.

#712 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Power supply is super loud.
clear over a small debris/particle.
PF looks "ribbed".
some weird splitting or separating between the plus of the cabinet plywood.

Hmmmmmm CaptainNeo what causes ribbed play fields again?

#713 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

It's ribbed for her pleasure

#714 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

It's ribbed for her pleasure

Ewww ...

#715 6 years ago

wood grain causes the vertical lines you get down the field, if that's what you are referring to.

and yes it's for her pleasure as well.

#716 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

wood grain causes the vertical lines you get down the field, if that's what you are referring to.
and yes it's for her pleasure as well.

Is that something one should worry about as far as causing problems down the road or os it just cosmetic? Also what about a spec of dust or dirt under the clear coat? Is that something that causes problems down the road?

#717 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Is that something one should worry about as far as causing problems down the road or os it just cosmetic? Also what about a spec of dust or dirt under the clear coat? Is that something that causes problems down the road?

Its cosmetic...as for the grains of sand they will eternally be sealed until the end of time...

#718 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Its cosmetic...as for the grains of sand they will eternally be sealed until the end of time...

That's what I would think as well. I don't know about till the end of time but at least as long as most of us here will be alive probably.

#719 6 years ago

Particles cleared on wood should be ok. Particles cleared on inserts will cause ghosting. Most ghosting see you see starts at the edge of inserts as you can see from my friends case it has started at the debris. The 1,3,5 and lock have particles under clear on inserts. Next pin manual will most likely include debris under clear ALWAYS happens and is normally often seen......lol

IMG_4214 (resized).JPGIMG_4214 (resized).JPG

IMG_4215 (resized).JPGIMG_4215 (resized).JPG

#720 6 years ago

Stern sucks.

Now you'll excuse my while I take my hard earned American dollars to Walmart to buy some high quality goods made in Communist China.

#721 6 years ago

It is very likely that Churchill mastered the art of tweaking the insert opening so that the inserts would not move.

It is common practice a supplier to have a 'tooling-drawing', that is not shared back with the customer. churchill was making playfields for ages, and they honed in on their practices and processes. These are their 'trade-secrets'.

Also, Churhill had learned how to properly 'aged' plywood so moisture-loss would be less of an impact on the insert fit over time. You can find photos of their facility with stacks of crates holding plywood, and you might find the video where they mention aging.

The timing of 'Ghosting' issues coincides with the change to Stern's new playfield supplier.

The new supplier just

Quoted from j_m_:

is it possible that part of the problem is that the inserts are forced into a hole that's tight to begin? look at the older EMs. when the inserts fall out of the holes due to the glue breaking down over 40+ years, they fit right back into the insert holes and you simply have to glue them back in place
and if I'm not mistake, the inserts are \ / wedge shaped instead of / \ shaped, so the tension placed on the inserts in one of an outward motion over time.
I think that without knowing the exact procedure, timing and type of glue being used, there are too many unknowns to really try and nail down the exact issue. one thing is for sure, whatever stern is doing, it's significantly different than what spooky, jjp and cpr are doing since they have significantly less (if not any) issues in this area

#722 6 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

It is very likely that Churchill mastered the art of tweaking the insert opening so that the inserts would not move.
It is common practice a supplier to have a 'tooling-drawing', that is not shared back with the customer. churchill was making playfields for ages, and they honed in on their practices and processes. These are their 'trade-secrets'.
Also, Churhill had learned how to properly 'aged' plywood so moisture-loss would be less of an impact on the insert fit over time. You can find photos of their facility with stacks of crates holding plywood, and you might find the video where they mention aging.
The timing of 'Ghosting' issues coincides with the change to Stern's new playfield supplier.
The new supplier just

Not true at all, the last part anyway. I have 5 play fields less than a year old, 1 being mine that are churchill and ghosting one was just replaced

1 week later
#723 6 years ago

Just installed my replacement KISS LE play field and the quality is noticeably different, not for better. I am hoping not to catch anymore ghosting as well. Now if I can just get Stern to replace the Game of thrones drop target they put on the kiss machine for the correct one, that would be swell

Kiss of Thrones anyone?

IMG_6111 (resized).JPGIMG_6111 (resized).JPG

#724 6 years ago

Kiss of Thrones anyone?

Sweet!!

1/1 Limited Edition!!

rd

1 week later
#725 6 years ago

My star trek from earlier this year is already ghosting in a few few spots. It's frustrating for sure.

#726 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

My star trek from earlier this year is already ghosting in a few few spots. It's frustrating for sure.

pictures? Man that sucks.

#727 6 years ago

pictures? Man that sucks.

Yeah, I'll take the glass off and share some pics. If I wanted it fixed, who do I contact?

#728 6 years ago

You will better off starting with your distributor.

#729 6 years ago

Two of these are pretty obvious. One is just starting. And the black hole insert has some sort of scratches or fractures. I don't care as much about the last two, but the ghostong on the others is getting pretty bad. I've had the machine for right around 2 and a half months now. Not too pleased.

20170902_233625 (resized).jpg20170902_233625 (resized).jpg

20170902_233719 (resized).jpg20170902_233719 (resized).jpg

20170902_233758 (resized).jpg20170902_233758 (resized).jpg

20170902_233821 (resized).jpg20170902_233821 (resized).jpg

#730 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Two of these are pretty obvious. One is just starting. And the black hole insert has some sort of scratches or fractures. I don't care as much about the last two, but the ghostong on the others is getting pretty bad. I've had the machine for right around 2 and a half months now. Not too pleased.

What playfield number is this? Production date? Thanks

#731 6 years ago

Let's see.... Both of my GB have ghosting inserts, my AS Pro has ghosting inserts, and my SW Pro has ghosting inserts. I specifically use the word "GHOSTING", as this phenomenon is progressively continuing as I type.

Therefore, I will only purchase a single pro.... If I think the title will ROI in a pre-determined amount of time. Unfortunately, I was wrong on AS. It has been a consistent earnings dud in a 10 pin lineup on the Las Vegas strip. While SW earned double what AS earned in the same time period. Yay!!! Something finally out earned IMVE.

So I finally reached the point where I personally just carry on and expect that any game I purchase from Stern will eventually have ghosted inserts. It's the new normal. They've not only stated it, they've gone ahead and proven it. So when I'm ready to sell my routed equipment, I'll only unload my used pins at public auction. Let the free market set the value.

Ghosting inserts IS the new normal on Stern pinball machines. The bottom line is that you can either accept it, as I have, or buy another brand.

#732 6 years ago

Potential buyers are once again at a pinball crossroads of choice.

Know the differences of the definitions between a disclaimer, policy, warranty, and guarantee and what goes within these same mentioned terms regarding purchases. The terms are not created equal and will potentially effect end results.

Stern is not Costco.

Stern CYA Policy.jpgStern CYA Policy.jpg

#733 6 years ago

Just installed my replacement KISS LE play field and the quality is noticeably different, not for better. I am hoping not to catch anymore ghosting as well. Now if I can just get Stern to replace the Game of thrones drop target they put on the kiss machine for the correct one, that would be swell
Kiss of Thrones anyone?

Did you receive a LE playfield?

#734 6 years ago

I just contacted the people I bought it from at pinballs.com . I guess we will see if they're willing or able to help.

#735 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I just contacted the people I bought it from at pinballs.com . I guess we will see if they're willing or able to help.

let us know how that goes.
any worthwhile distributor should be pro-actively following up any issues their customers have with Stern.

#736 6 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

let us know how that goes.
any worthwhile distributor should be pro-actively following up any issues their customers have with Stern.

I was just messaged from someone here who bought the same type of game from the same place. I'd like to assume that the distributor would like to nip this in the butt as well.

#737 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Did you receive a LE playfield?

Yes my LE Play field was replaced

#738 6 years ago

Yes my LE Play field was replaced

It was a LE playfield with sign and not a premium?
Correct?

#739 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

What is the production date stamped on your playfield? Those enterprise/combo inserts are bad, have they got progressively worse over time?

#740 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

What is the production date stamped on your playfield? Those enterprise/combo inserts are bad, have they got progressively worse over time?

He's only had the game for two months.

#741 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

It was a LE playfield with sign and not a premium?
Correct?

LE #151 SIGNED

#742 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He's only had the game for two months.

Doesn't matter when he got the pin, it could be fresh off the line or have come from a distributors stock sat in a warehouse for months.

#743 6 years ago

Here's the info on that playfield

20170903_193715 (resized).jpg20170903_193715 (resized).jpg

#744 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'd like to assume that the distributor would like to nip this in the butt as well.

IMG_1386 (resized).JPGIMG_1386 (resized).JPG

#745 6 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Ghosting inserts IS the new normal on Stern pinball machines. The bottom line is that you can either accept it, as I have, or buy another brand.

It's not a new thing. It's not a stern thing. it will happen to the other brands as well. If it has clearcoat, it can happen.

Hate ghosting? Buy early SS or EM's that are not clearcoated. Problem solved.

#746 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Doesn't matter when he got the pin, it could be fresh off the line or have come from a distributors stock sat in a warehouse for months.

Yeah it does matter because you asked him "Has it gotten progessively worse over time?" Kinda hard to gauge any kind of progression in two months, don't you think??

#747 6 years ago

Which Stern game has the most ghosting? I know all new titles pretty much have ghosting on them, but is there one pin that's worse off than the rest?

#748 6 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Which Stern game has the most ghosting? I know all new titles pretty much have ghosting on them, but is there one pin that's worse off than the rest?

Ghostbusters for sure and looks like the new Star Wars may have a considerable amount of playfields ghosting.

#749 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah it does matter because you asked him "Has it gotten progessively worse over time?" Kinda hard to gauge any kind of progression in two months, don't you think??

Nope, guy here in the UK with ghosting playfield his got worse within a matter of weeks, there have also been plenty of examples shown on pinside where the ghosting has progressed within a couple of months, always good to know the playfield production date when trying to gauge these things.

#750 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Here's the info on that playfield

Thanks for getting the playfield number. Mine is 2198 of 2105. Hmmmm, going to keep a close eye on mine. 90 plays, had it for just over a week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.