(Topic ID: 194604)

Stern NEW policy - GHOSTING IS NORMAL....OR IS IT?

By capguntrooper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Cloudy inserts, stress cracks and GHOSTING often seen on NIB pins and should that be normal?”

• NO WAY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 601 votes
    77%
  • YES, ghosting is often seen on NIB pins and is normal. 45 votes
    6%
  • I don't care I am never buying a NIB from STERN again 135 votes
    17%

(Multiple choice - 781 votes by 755 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21706673_1649449475129784_409376094_o (resized).jpg
20170908_104038 (resized).jpg
1962592_334531546707152_2787885267848887757_n (resized).jpg
mic (resized).jpg
IMG_6170 (resized).JPG
Stern CYA Policy.jpg
IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
20170903_193715 (resized).jpg
20170902_233821 (resized).jpg
20170902_233758 (resized).jpg
20170902_233719 (resized).jpg
20170902_233625 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
IMG_3502 (resized).JPG
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.
#551 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I seriously doubt Gary has much to do with the day to day running of the business - that's the investor pool looking after cost cutting.

Agreed, once VC money enters the mix then the dynamic changes. Unlike a nice family owned business Stern still try's to fake, they are run by investors that only care about sucking every last dime out and then moving onto the next investment. Want to support a real family owned pinball business, buy SPOOKY! Keep in mind JJP is investor controlled too.

#552 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Look at the layouts and features of some of the "cheap" Sega/Stern games like Goldeneye, Batman Forever, Austin Powers, etc - they're starting to not look so cheap compared to SW and GOT.

I was playing my TSPP today and thinking that by today's Stern standards, this game would would fall into the "Premium" category, and that the "Pro" model probably wouldn't have the upper playfield.

#553 6 years ago
Quoted from Archon9000:

I was playing my TSPP today and thinking that by today's Stern standards, this game would would fall into the "Premium" category, and that the "Pro" model probably wouldn't have the upper playfield.

Oh there's no doubt aboot that.
But a lot of the people bitching aboot the low quality now are people that happily bought LEs for years, basically spend more monies for basically nothing...some diff'rent art yippee! Their the ones throwing cash at Stern as the prices went up and up but hey "I gotta get me that LE cause I have all the ones before it." They kept spending more,and Stern finally thought they had them by the balls with super fan boy SW and turned the screws on them; looks like it's backfiring big time.
I would usually say Stern knows how to deal with them and Borg will make a "Met Inspired" Iron Maiden packed with features and everyone will forget; but the ghosting being back is gonna be a big one.

#554 6 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I'm sure there are some other consumer protection "things" that go into receiving a new defective product,

not with pinball machines. or else they'd be going back left right and center to the distros for full refunds....

#555 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh there's no doubt aboot that.
But a lot of the people bitching aboot the low quality now are people that happily bought LEs for years, basically spend more monies for basically nothing...some diff'rent art yippee! Their the ones throwing cash at Stern as the prices went up and up but hey "I gotta get me that LE cause I have all the ones before it." They kept spending more,and Stern finally thought they had them by the balls with super fan boy SW and turned the screws on them; looks like it's backfiring big time.
I would usually say Stern knows how to deal with them and Borg will make a "Met Inspired" Iron Maiden packed with features and everyone will forget; but the ghosting being back is gonna be a big one.

I really don't think Stern can recover from this. When you are talking thousands of dollars for a luxury item, nobody is putting up with shit quality, and that is not so easy to turn around and fix when Stern has already gone this far down the rabbit hole. If they started right now, it would take them years to get back to TSPP quality, and I'm not sure Stern investors even care to do it.

#556 6 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

not with pinball machines. or else they'd be going back left right and center to the distros for full refunds....

Step one, don't buy Stern NIB,
Step two, if forced, only buy on credit card so at least you have some protection.

#557 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

But a lot of the people bitching aboot the low quality now are people that happily bought LEs for years, basically spend more monies for basically nothing...some diff'rent art yippee!

Before, the different art/trim (sometimes backglass and shaker) were an $800 difference. It seemed relatively worth it for some custom stuff, especially if the game followed the Tron/AC/DC trend of holding/rising in value. When I bought Met LE, it was $6600. The Prem was $5800. Now the LE is what, like $1500 more than the Prem? No shaker. No real backglass. No value hold/rise. It's a different scene today.

#558 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Before, the different art/trim (sometimes backglass and shaker) were an $800 difference. It seemed relatively worth it for some custom stuff, especially if the game followed the Tron/AC/DC trend of holding/rising in value. When I bought Met LE, it was $6600. The Prem was $5800. Now the LE is what, like $1500 more than the Prem? No shaker. No real backglass. No value hold/rise. It's a different scene today.

You are literally paying $1500 for different (not necessarily better) art, some slightly fancier rails, and two extra translights that will be left in the box! Not even an $80 shaker or Stern's invisiglass/PDI thrown in!! It's kinda comical really.

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You are literally paying $1500 for different (not necessarily better) art, some slightly fancier rails, and two extra translights that will be left in the box! Not even an $80 shaker or Stern's invisiglass/PDI thrown in!! It's kinda comical really.

Maybe the license cost is extremely high. If so, Guardians is not going to have much either.

I'm toying with just buying spooky, pps, and JJP. Much less Drama. FYI I've bought every Stern NIB since Tron.

#560 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I really don't think Stern can recover from this. When you are talking thousands of dollars for a luxury item, nobody is putting up with shit quality, and that is not so easy to turn around and fix when Stern has already gone this far down the rabbit hole. If they started right now, it would take them years to get back to TSPP quality, and I'm not sure Stern investors even care to do it.

They"ll recover if they want to but the cash cow they imagined with star wars was a failure of their own making.

#561 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Maybe the license cost is extremely high. If so, Guardians is not going to have much either.
I'm toying with just buying spooky, pps, and JJP. Much less Drama. FYI I've bought every Stern NIB since Tron.

<begin sarcasm>
I heard that with GotG, they are going to try a further cost reduction with 2 pop bumpers and only 1 flipper for the pro. if you want the full pinball experience, you'll need to pony up for the SDLE model (super duper), which will be limited to just 40 units [initially] at $18,500 ea

(the sad part is there are probably still a number of people that would buy into the above

#562 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

(the sad part is there are probably still a number of people that would buy into the above

Just a wild ass guess based on games over the past few years, but I think in pinball there are about 50 people that have enough money to buy every game that comes out, sight unseen and don't care about anything related to gameplay or quality. Seems like most every new game can sell 50, but sales after that take effort.

#563 6 years ago

I may just go with AFMr and not gamble on getting a GB pro from Stern. I work so hard for my money.

#564 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

When you are talking thousands of dollars for a luxury item, nobody is putting up with shit quality

Er.....everybody is.....

#565 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Er.....everybody is.....

It looks like I am going with AFMr this fall. Why gamble? My money doesn't grow on trees. It's printed by the federal reserve and I have to slave for it. Get it together Stern, jeesh. I love my AS pro, no issues, playfield actually looks like they stepped up quality, this type of crap will hurt them, people talk, youtubes, forums, this and Star Wars will be a blow to the gut for them.

Ugh . If they screw up again and again, there's plenty of room for JJP, CgC, etc

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

It looks like I am going with AFMr this fall. Why gamble?

Am I the only one who remembers the light ink on MMr play fields? The sling shots chewing into the playfield? Or the side rails that shredded the flesh from my thumbs?

I'm not saying there are any issues with AFMr by the way, but no manufacturer is immune to issues. None.

#567 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Am I the only one who remembers the light ink on MMr play fields? The sling shots chewing into the playfield? Or the side rails that shredded the flesh from my thumbs?
I'm not saying there are any issues with AFMr by the way, but no manufacturer is immune to issues. None.

True indeed, at least they didn't proclaim those defects to be "normal" by printing it on the cover of the manual. They fixed it and then kicked things up a notch with AFMr, exactly how a good business should do things by getting better over time.

#568 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

This is true but Stern seems to be the only one claiming it is normal.

#569 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I agree

#570 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I think CGC is getting a lot of praise these days due to their communication. Getting rid of Rick as their spokesperson and having Doug communicate directly with the community was a great move. We'll see how they handle defect issues going forward with AFMr.

#571 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

First off - DE/Sega/Stern Whitestar & SAM games weren't $5k-$15k.

And you could get a cup of coffee for less than a dollar!

That was the early 90s. Twenty-five years ago. A quarter century!

#572 6 years ago

I think I'll go play my W/B machines and be glad as fuck that I don't own a Stern that falls apart I'm front of your eyes. Oh and they don't have shooter lane ware.

#573 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

True indeed, at least they didn't proclaim those defects to be "normal" by printing it on the cover of the manual. They fixed it and then kicked things up a notch with AFMr, exactly how a good business should do things by getting better over time.

It sounds like things improved for sure. How did they rectify the MMr issues? Did they ship out populated play fields to people with light ink or chewed into sling area's? Or massive clear separation?

People have a sliver of ghosting on an insert and expect Stern to send a whole new play field. CGC basically said "Go F yourself" and people are spouting their praises.

I had customers CUTTING themselves on my MMr and they sent some tape and a sanding block.

Hopefully if people experience ANY clear separation, early wear in a ball trough or scoop, a slight blemish on a play field, CGC will do the right thing and send out a fully populated play field over night to the customer. It's the right thing to do, right?

#574 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

To be fair: MMr was their first game ever. Stern has been making these things like forever. I hear nothing but good things about AFMr. I played it extensively on TPF and it played very good. For me it is mindboggling that the new guys all try to make their product better while Stern only makes it cheaper (for them).

Decided not to buy Stern anymore, instead I will probably buy an AFMr LE. I do feel bad for my Stern distributor as he is a good guy and always treated me very good but he does not sell JJP or CGC.

#575 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

To be fair: MMr was their first game ever. Stern has been making these things like forever. I hear nothing but good things about AFMr. I played it extensively on TPF and it played very good. For me it is amazing that the new guys all try to make their product better while Stern only makes it cheaper (for them).
Decided not to buy Stern anymore, instead I will probably buy an AFMr LE. I do feel bad for my Stern distributor as he is a good guy and always treated me very good but he does not sell JJP or CGC.

Plus, you get that cute little board in the head, and giant light boards under the playfield

#576 6 years ago

It amazes me that people still try to defend Stern. They have cut costs and increased prices to the point that a 9 thousand dollar game disintegrates in a few hundred games and people still make excuses for them and poney up the cash. All you gotta do is let Gary eat a couple of his shit pins and he will get his shit together.

#577 6 years ago
Quoted from apLundell:

And you could get a cup of coffee for less than a dollar!
That was the early 90s. Twenty-five years ago. A quarter century!

Stern SAM games started in 2006. Full featured games like Pirates, Spider-Man, Family Guy, etc were selling for ~$3500-$3700 NIB through around 2009. Not that long ago.

#578 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

This thread is depressing, go over to the AFMr threads.....Thats some happy stuff! Awesome quality machine

what's ironic, is that AFM is the stripped down version of the B/W games. It's basically the IM/GOT/RS of theirs. No other B/W dmd has less on it and more cheap looking.

#579 6 years ago

weird how my 2 posts were removed /? Big wtf / I am growing to really not like this place post 540 and 541 / where they go. not even a Mod notice to the effect that my post has been removed because of______? it was a link / Links are no good to ebay though the ad was in Pinside marketplace as well? F 2 the umpteenth power

#580 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what's ironic, is that AFM is the stripped down version of the B/W games. It's basically the IM/GOT/RS of theirs. No other B/W dmd has less on it and more cheap looking.

Yet it has all the ingredients that make it appealing - theme, art, humor, fast smooth gameplay, satisfying shots and outcomes, and rules that compliment the design.

#581 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

ironic, is that AFM is the stripped down version of the B/W games. It's basically the IM/GOT/RS of theirs. No other B/W dmd has less on it and more cheap looking.

Lol! I think AMF and IM are the best games from B/W and Stern. Stripped down pinball machines are like sport cars. Lighter and faster equal better.

Based on those SW gameplayed videos in YouTube, balls went so fast in the machine, I am not sure it is a good thing. Hopefully one day I can play it at my friend's place or in local arcade but before that I think DESW is still the best SW pinball machine. At least the dead star in DESW looks better than the pro version.

#582 6 years ago

not me. I don't like AFM at all because I think it looks like an empty piece of crap and the rules are written for a 3 year old. I like clutter on my fields. Give me TZ any day over stripped down econogames.

#583 6 years ago
Quoted from Archon9000:

In my opinion, Stern couldn't make TSPP in any category today.

If they did, they would likely remove the upper playfield, the third flipper, and the garage door. They would put Homers head on a bobble spring as the main toy along with Bart on the skate board. Other main features would be the Itchy and Scratchy drops with the saucer behind and the spinner in the right orbit. Instead of actual voice work from characters in the show, it would be a generic hillbilly or some such.

Added would be RGB leds with some cool light shows and LCD with clips from the show.

Now that I list the features, the above game would probably fall into the Premium category by today's Stern standards.

#584 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

In my opinion, Stern couldn't make TSPP in any category today.
If they did, they would likely remove the upper playfield, the third flipper, and the garage door. They would put Homers head on a bobble spring as the main toy along with Bart on the skate board. Other main features would be the Itchy and Scratchy drops with the saucer behind and the spinner in the right orbit. Instead of actual voice work from characters in the show, it would be a generic hillbilly or some such.
Added would be RGB leds with some cool light shows and LCD with clips from the show.
Now that I list the features, the above game would probably fall into the Premium category by today's Stern standards.

More like SLE

#585 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

not me. I don't like AFM at all because I think it looks like an empty piece of crap ...

I thought that too when if first came out. Then I played it and was hooked.

I think AFM is bad for pinball because it's become the poster child for the "a game can have a barren playfield and still be the best of all time" camp. It just encourages Stern to go for less. This is sort of joking but not entirely.

As bare as it is, it still has 5x the amount of spring mounted bobble toys as SW. It also has the strobe, dropping target bank, gate controlled orbits and lock/ramp diverter. It's the entire package of theme, art, sound, humor and rules that elevates the simple playfield.

#586 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I thought that too when if first came out.

I don't remember it much with anyone I knew actually; but we weren't buying then.
All around the same time was AFM, NF, & JM...so we were kind of already hip to the fact that more shit piled on a PF didn't make the game better.

#587 6 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

weird how my 2 posts were removed /? Big wtf / I am growing to really not like this place post 540 and 541 / where they go. not even a Mod notice to the effect that my post has been removed because of______? it was a link / Links are no good to ebay though the ad was in Pinside marketplace as well? F 2 the umpteenth power

What did it say?

#588 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

If you have a decal on the edge of your field it's a Churchill. Good stuff and has been for ages. Game of Thrones was a turning point. Other suppliers and Playfield manufacturers came into the mix.

I had not heard this before and I'm wondering if anyone has a ghosting playfield with this type of sticker. I know my old Metallica had this sticker, but I'm pretty sure the playfield was a Mirco. My TWD Premium has this 'Dinner Time' sticker too. Is this evidence it's made by Churchill? Is Churchill even still making playfields for Stern?

#589 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I know my old Metallica had this sticker, but I'm pretty sure the playfield was a Mirco.

Mirco doing Stern playfields? That's news to me. AFAIK Mirco has never done anything for Stern.

#590 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I had not heard this before and I'm wondering if anyone has a ghosting playfield with this type of sticker. I know my old Metallica had this sticker, but I'm pretty sure the playfield was a Mirco. My TWD Premium has this 'Dinner Time' sticker too. Is this evidence it's made by Churchill? Is Churchill even still making playfields for Stern?

A few of my customers have this stickers on their pins and still have ghosting.

#591 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

A few of my customers have this stickers on their pins and still have ghosting.

Any pics to prove this statement please.

#592 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

If it is from Mirco, the Mirco logo should be on the bottom left of the playfield under the apron. As far as is known Stern never used Mirco playfields.

#593 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

If it is from Mirco, the Mirco logo should be on the bottom left of the playfield under the apron. As far as is known Stern never used Mirco playfields.

Just because they do that on their own branded products does not necessarily mean they'd do that for all OEM supplier arrangements.

#594 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Just because they do that on their own branded products does not necessarily mean they'd do that for all OEM supplier arrangements.

True but they do for JJP pins for what it's worth.

More convincing would be... wouldn't if a manufacturer is going to be allowed to place their logo on a product they produce that agreement comes with some sort of small discount... can anyone imagine Stern passing up a discount?

#595 6 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Any pics to prove this statement please.

LMFAO! Just as soon as the replacement box comes in, I will take a video starting from the sticker to the ghosting just so you can't say they are different pics to different games.

#596 6 years ago

I have news for you. Mirco PFs ghost as well. I had one of the first TZ PFs he put out and about a year later every insert on it was white. There is two types of ghosting. One is where the clear pulls off the inserts and another is where the clear over the inserts turns a milky white like on W/B game making the inserts look cloudy.

#597 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern SAM games started in 2006. Full featured games like Pirates, Spider-Man, Family Guy, etc were selling for ~$3500-$3700 NIB through around 2009. Not that long ago.

Oh, fair enough.

Sorry. You mentioned Data East and Sega, so I assumed you were talking about the olden days.

#598 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

There is two types of ghosting. One is where the clear pulls off the inserts and another is where the clear over the inserts turns a milky white like on W/B game making the inserts look cloudy.

There is only one type of ghosting.
What you are talking about for old B/W PFs is not ghosting at all and comes from the primer they used. If anything that's a "seal of quality" as it shows the PF WAS primed at all.

#599 6 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

There is only one type of ghosting.
What you are talking about for old B/W PFs is not ghosting at all and has completely different reasons.

Correct, but a lot of people call it ghosting. You have heard people here say that some of the old W/B PF ghosted like the sterns are doing now but it isn't the same thing. Aside from a few games with large inserts like IJ I have never seen any older game do what Sterns are doing.

#600 6 years ago

B/W games I call it fogging. And it wasn't the primer that caused it, it was the clear itself. Until the past 15 years or so. clear wasn't clear. It had a faint foggyness to it. Just the way the clear was. Todays technology clear is crystal clear. Trying to duplicate that foggyness is very difficult when you need to match chipped out clear on old b/w games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it/page/12?hl=archon9000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.