(Topic ID: 178322)

Stern needs to add Downloadable content (DLC)

By grifter

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3070_zps68449288 (resized).jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I think using the video game system of offering DLC to already COMPLETE and FULLY CODED pinball games an exciting idea.

Think about it, Aerosmith is looking like an amazing game, but after time when the game is fully coded and complete you will be wanting more songs.

So what if every few months or so Stern released themed DLC packs. Such as "Mama Kin DLC" which adds the song, along with new lighting, rules and sounds that incorporate the song's theme. Or even "PINK DLC" which adds the song and gives the playfield pink lighting. Or even a "RUN DMC DLC" which adds them to the game, where you have to recruit them for Walk this Way, or make shots to ensure they play in time together.

Hell, if they release a new album how about a chance to add that to the game too?

Fantastic!

They could even do yearly updates for sports games like 2K does. With Stern's Wrestlemania they could make yearly updates to the code to add the current roster, entrance music, and custom call outs from the current wrestlers. Or even add more legends!

They could change $30 or so for the DLC which should inspire Stern to keep working on new ideas and improving their games. People shouldn't have to work for free!

To clarify all the confusion about this idea, I repeat I am NOT talking about paying for code that should already be in the game. These are extras thought well into the games existence to freshen things up, and keep an old title feel like new.

Happy pinballing everybody.

#2 7 years ago

New release video games are $60, new release pinball machines are $6,000. I think it's reasonable to want the new software for free rather than at an additional charge.

#3 7 years ago

Horrible idea.

#4 7 years ago

I'd rather something than nothing. And feel money will inspire them to keep working on games, rather than ditching them as they do now.

And if that means paying $30 or so every now and then to keep my game exciting, I'd be down for it.

It fact, I think since we are paying such a high price for pinball machines they are MORE of an investment, and one I'd happily want to invest in more than a bit of software on a games console.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from oohlou:

Horrible idea.

Fair opinion. But would love to know why you think this would be "horrible"?

#6 7 years ago

(I'm genuinely surprised this is being down voted so much. The current strategy of "complaining on the Internet" for more code doesn't seem to be working. Maybe you guys could share some other methods that can see games having a longer lifespan?)

#7 7 years ago

Yeah, let's ask Stern to manage even more code, what could go wrong.

#8 7 years ago

bad bad idea... it will just encourage them to release flaky code so you have to pay to upgrade.

My guess is that the majority opinion on this forum will be that the game should either ship with complete code or come with free code updates until it is complete.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, let's ask Stern to manage even more code, what could go wrong.

IF they're paid for it, why not?

Code is bloody hard work.

Imagine you had to keep working on stuff for free long after you've handed in your report/finished roofing a house/whatever else you may do.

I think of it like buying a new song and mode for your game. Songs aren't free, and either is the code to make it work... also, it's your choice to ignore it.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from tiesmasc:

bad bad idea... it will just encourage them to release flaky code so you have to pay to upgrade.
    My guess is that the majority opinion on this forum will be that the game should either ship with complete code or come with free code updates until it is complete.

I may not have made my point clear, sorry about that.

I don't mean they release DLC for things like "bug fixes" or leaving out stuff on purpose.

I more mean adding brand new, well thought out features. Like songs and modes for the new AC/DC album. Or do a yearly update for Wrestlemania with the current wrestling roster with all their entrance music and custom speech from the wrestlers.

Stuff to be excited about and promoted weeks before the release.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

Code is bloody hard work.
    Imagine you had to keep working on stuff for free long after you've handed in your report/finished roofing a house/whatever else you may do.
    I think of it like buying a new song and mode for your game. Songs aren't free, and either is the code to make it work... also, it's your choice to ignore it.

Imagine you were paid for a roof and you didn't put down half the tiles. Then you asked the homeowner to pay for a new tile pack. Yeah, no thanks.

#12 7 years ago

Open source their software. Problem of unfinished games or missing songs solved.

I'm sure there are some here and in the virtual pinball forums that could code one hell of a game.

#13 7 years ago

You won't feel that way when the LCD prompts you to pay 1.99 to play wizard mode.

#14 7 years ago

Why on earth would you encourage Stern to sell unfinished pins and then charge people more to finish them?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

I just paid 10k for a BM66, they have been paid

#16 7 years ago

When stern ships games that are 100% complete then they can think about charging for upgrades

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

DLC is a slippery slope. Some companies can handle it well but many do not.

I'd say what Stern is doing today with side art, rails, shooter rods, toppers, and other mods is like DLC for pinball. As long as it is something extra which isn't required to enjoy and experience the complete game it is fine. However, I don't think they should extend the DLC concept to software. I would be concerned it would quickly devolve into paying for them to implement features which should have been there from the beginning and bug fixes.

Perhaps more importantly the economies of scale just aren't there. How many AC/DCs are out there? How many AC/DC owners would pay $30 for 3 new songs? Stern is probably better off having their software people work on new games or doing updates for games still in production.

#18 7 years ago

I think it's a fantastic idea. I think people are confusing finishing the first (original) project with adding content. I think people would pay $30 for 3 new modes or songs to acdc. It would also be a great package for route you could keep the game fresh with having to sell a game and buy a new one.

I can agree with the general population as it could be a slippery slope. Charging for bug fixes or waltering down the original game. But I feel if it was done correctly could be a great revenue stream. And great for pinball.

Let not forget jjp has tried something somewhat similar for Woz to be a redemtion game. I belive it was a purchase of a USB drive. It was kinda pricey. I wanna say $600? Wonder how many they sold.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

(I'm genuinely surprised this is being down voted so much. The current strategy of "complaining on the Internet" for more code doesn't seem to be working. Maybe you guys could share some other methods that can see games having a longer lifespan?)

It is getting downvoted because it is one step away from the company holding things out of a release for more money on the next one. For example: "Oh, you want the left flipper to work too? $10. Right flipper $10. Upper flipper $20." There would be no end in sight. A pinball machine is not an evergreen source of money. More money isn't going to lead to better code in this case. It is (in my opinion) a poor idea for pinball to charge for code like that.... but let Jody know, because if he finds you willing to pay for the code sperately for your games, he will figure out a way to do it.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Imagine you were paid for a roof and you didn't put down half the tiles. Then you asked the homeowner to pay for a new tile pack. Yeah, no thanks.

Again, missing the point.

I'm saying the roof is perfect and finished. But later on you want to change the colour, or add a chimney.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

When stern ships games that are 100% complete then they can think about charging for upgrades

This is what I'm getting at.

Not paying for unfinished games, but paying for extras down the line when the game gets stale.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

It is getting downvoted because it is one step away from the company holding things out of a release for more money on the next one. For example: "Oh, you want the left flipper to work too? $10. Right flipper $10. Upper flipper $20." There would be no end in sight. A pinball machine is not an evergreen source of money. More money isn't going to lead to better code in this case. It is (in my opinion) a poor idea for pinball to charge for code like that.... but let Jody know, because if he finds you willing to pay for the code sperately for your games, he will figure out a way to do it.

I think you've taken things to the worst case scenario. Has this ever happened in a video game where you need to pay for one of the gamepad buttons to work?

I'm talking about fully finished games the way they were intended. Then, down the line (say with a music pin) the band released a new record. Stern could give those interested a chance to add those new songs with new gameplay modes and lighting.

What's there to hate?

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

Again, missing the point.
    I'm saying the roof is perfect and finished. But later on you want to change the colour, or add a chimney.

I get it and I think it is not that bad an idea.
    When they keep pumping out THEMED games, the theme changes. i.e.; AC/DC will have newer songs that can/may be added via extra downloadable content etc. etc. this makes it more relative instead of being dated.
    I like it

#24 7 years ago

The very first sentence of your first post references people complaining about the lack of code. If there's a misunderstanding it's on your side. The lack of code criticism doesn't stem from people wanting new modes and songs added to their pins a year later. People just want their game to work as advertised, to not have unused inserts or waiting a year for the game's code to be good.

If Stern could ship a code complete game day one then maybe they could start selling your idea of dlc but keep in mind that pinball dlc wouldn't sell near the numbers vidja game dlc does and probably wouldn't be worth it to them.

#25 7 years ago

Problem is you can't update the playfield with inserts, text, etc. to reflect new modes.

#26 7 years ago

This has to be the #1 all time dumbest post on Pinside, you have outdone anything even Levi could ever come up with!

I also find it ironic that you are willing to pay for DLC from Stern, but you have never donated one penny to this site for all the great info that you get here. Unbelievably stupid post dude for real!

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

I'm talking about fully finished games the way they were intended. Then, down the line (say with a music pin) the band released a new record. Stern could give those interested a chance to add those new songs with new gameplay modes and lighting.
    What's there to hate?

Of course I'm taking it to the extreme, because that is where it ends up. It's because that is what I'd do if I saw big money down the road. All of a sudden the "fully finished" version of Tron is all modes are the equivalent of "Find Flynn". That way every insert works. Down the road from that I toss out the "Amazing Light Cycle DLC" pack for $20 that makes you have to shoot Combos in MuktiBall!!! to complete it. A year later I add the DLC for Quorra MultiBall with add-a-ball at the center target for only $20. Features would be held back, just to nickel and dime customers. I'd never buy a pinball machine that went that route. Hell JJP just HINTED at doing it a few years back and people freaked out.

#28 7 years ago

They kind of already sell DLC. What do you think the Ghostbusters topper is? You can't download it but it's still additional content for the game just like horse armor.

#29 7 years ago

Worst idea I've heard here in a long time; that's impressive

#30 7 years ago

Ummm what pinball company charges $30 for ANYTHING!?! How much was MMR color? Umm how much does Stern charge for mods, toppers, etc... you think they will give you something, anything for $30 your nuts.

This is a terrible idea and I hope it never reaches Stern's ears

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Ummm what pinball company charges $30 for ANYTHING!?! How much was MMR color? Umm how much does Stern charge for mods, toppers, etc... you think they will give you something, anything for $30 your nuts.

Stern T-shirts are close to $30.

#32 7 years ago

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Why on earth would you encourage Stern to sell unfinished pins and then charge people more to finish them?

Again, not the idea. Actually read my original post.

I'm talking about FINISHED and FULLY CODED games, even ones a year or so old.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I just paid 10k for a BM66, they have been paid

Brilliant! But what in a few years time when you're thinking of moving it on.

Wouldn't you like something new added like a 66 Batman the movie mode? Or new music, sounds, and SFX?

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

The very first sentence of your first post references people complaining about the lack of code. If there's a misunderstanding it's on your side. The lack of code criticism doesn't stem from people wanting new modes and songs added to their pins a year later. People just want their game to work as advertised, to not have unused inserts or waiting a year for the game's code to be good.
    If Stern could ship a code complete game day one then maybe they could start selling your idea of dlc but keep in mind that pinball dlc wouldn't sell near the numbers vidja game dlc does and probably wouldn't be worth it to them.

Please re-read my opening post, I've made it simpler for you.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from trudert9:

Problem is you can't update the playfield with inserts, text, etc. to reflect new modes.

Yup, this is a problem...

The work will have to be done through the DOTS or (even easier now) LCD screen.

#37 7 years ago

I thought the same thing, then I spotted you on the Internet with such a limited capacity for thought you use pictures someone else made to fight your battles.

Grow a brain and try using words you came up with.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Really? You're talking price on thousand dollar games? Some real tight arses in the pinball world.

Also, you're saying there's not one Stern game that you'd like to see something new added to?

Say Metallica's new album? Or the current teams in NBA? Or even incorporating the newer Star Trek movies?

Your happy with things staying stagnant?

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Worst idea I've heard here in a long time; that's impressive

Please share one of your ideas. That will quickly show you a new "worst idea you've heard in a long time".

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

-removed-

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

I'm talking about fully finished games the way they were intended.

Pretty much no such thing.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Pretty much no such thing.

Agreed

#43 7 years ago

IMG_3070_zps68449288 (resized).jpgIMG_3070_zps68449288 (resized).jpg

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

Quoted from grifter:

Wouldn't you like something new added like a 66 Batman the movie mode? Or new music, sounds, and SFX?

see, you are the one who is confused
    we want finished games, thus the game should have lots of modes

$30 for a couple of sound changes?

Ops wont want it
    most buyers probably dont even know the software can be upgraded
    in a years time, Stern will have released 3 more games. nobody will care about last years game

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

Really? You're talking price on thousand dollar games? Some real tight arses in the pinball world.
    Also, you're saying there's not one Stern game that you'd like to see something new added to?
    Say Metallica's new album? Or the current teams in NBA? Or even incorporating the newer Star Trek movies?
    Your happy with things staying stagnant?

Hey go buy a NIB Big Buck Hunter then buy the Zombie DLC for THOUSANDS$$, or pay for home use DLC on Golden Tee and yeah if that shit hits pinball I guarantee you won't be buying a $1,000 MET song and light upgrade so don't talk money you started out at $30 and are saying the cost does not matter.

How long did WOZ get code updates, look at AMH still getting code updates, check out Spooky listening to customers on Rob Zombie, that is what you want not offering Stern more money for BS

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

No of course not if I move the game on I would miss out on the new mode, I want a Batman 66 movie mode added while I have the game and I have even suggested a "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" movie mode.

All DLC model would do is encourage Stern to purposefully release half ass code (maybe even hold code back that's ready at releases) and then charge us, additionally for something a NIB buyer should already be getting with their initial purchase price. At 6k plus there is no room for code charges or excuse for DLC code.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from grifter:

Most people believe that is what should be produced out of the gate, for the price a NIB pin costs these days (not mentioning the special releases like BM66 & DICE) the retail price is more then enough to expect fully fleshed out code for all the games modes and features.

#48 7 years ago

Years ago I asked Gary Stern why he didn't develop a new translite for Pirates of the Carribean to match the new movie and keep the game more interesting to operate. Maybe also update speech and dots to match the new movie. Such a translite + code package could then be offered for $$. Gary explained to me in detail how the development costs + extension of the license and all that would not be worth the effort. He liked the idea of giving games sort of a second life, but it wasn't going to happen. I guess that answers the OP's original post.

My guess is you'll be relying on aftermarket mods to add extra content (video, music) to the game. In a few years (if not sooner) it may not be that hardto modify the content of the LCD, the music and such of a game, so you can mod it to your liking.

#49 7 years ago

I'm a firm believer in the fact that games should be finished on the first release. DLC is a terrible practice that gaming companies rely upon to finish their games and make their customers pay a premium for a finally complete game.

Code is not that hard if you know what your doing... spoken from someone who knows what they are doing.

But code on a pinball machine? Have no idea how that goes. Could be different...

#50 7 years ago

Boy, I am sure glad B/W didn't have this option. My games are still fun and exciting after 20+ years.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-needs-to-add-downloadable-content-dlc?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.