(Topic ID: 228914)

Stern needs a Futurama pinball

By optic

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

60v2s4z7xf061 (resized).jpg
    futurama2 (resized).png
    futurama1 (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

Futurama is a cult classic that ran from 1999 to 2013 with over 120 episodes. Wouldnt it a great pinball machine? Just looking at the price of the secondary market for Futurama mech, Its ridicules!!!! The Fanbase is here for this IP just look at the sub reddit, r/futurama has almost 474,000 subscribers. The show has a deep cast of characters and dozens of great stories you can pull from. This seems like a home run pin especially with the rising of Generation Y the generation who grew up watching this show.

Simpson pinball is a classic. I would love to show Matt Groening some more love with a Futurama pin.

Let's compare Futurama popularity to other Pins/IPs. I used Reddit subforms as a baseline. Because of its one of the most popular sites on the web with the most deviser base of users.

r/StarWars 946,079 subscribers
    r/thewalkingdead 626,088 subscribers
    r/futurama 473,963 subscribers
    r/lotr 240,805 subscribers (Lord of the Rings)
    r/batman 213,994 subscriber
    r/Metallica 24,515 subscribers
    r/startrek 175,102 subscribers
    r/deadpool 54,265 subscriber
    r/ironmaiden 8,454 subscribers
    r/piratesofthecaribbean 3,949 subscribers

Sadly, doesn't look like The Munsters have a subreddit... but we're still getting that pin. It's important we begin to look at nostalgia/ classics of the younger generation. They will be the ones buying machines or populating the barcades for the next few generations. I would love to see more games focus around modern classics like Futurama, Archer, or Rick and Morty shows that consider classics and appeal to the growing youth. Sadly, the Munsters won't, Houdini or Iron Maiden doesn't

#2 5 years ago

Is that show even still on?

I watched a few episodes of the first season and that was enough.

#3 5 years ago

futurama would be best with a bunch of cool, new, innovative toys and subways/tubes transporting the ball

#4 5 years ago

I think Futurama would lend itself extremely well to a pin, but I don't think it's as marketable as some people think it is. The Simpsons was a smash hit for around 15 years when they got a pinball. The Simpsons had multiple characters and phrases enter the cultural zeitgeist. Futurama could barely stay on the air...

It seems more like a boutique pinball maker theme than a Stern cornerstone theme.

#5 5 years ago

Future Rama would make a goid game. Funny , adult humour and Matt Groening (both Simpsons)

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

futurama would be best with a bunch of cool, new, innovative toys and subways/tubes transporting the ball

100% agree this would look amazing!!!!

Quoted from TreyBo69:

The Simpsons had multiple characters and phrases enter the cultural zeitgeist. Futurama could barely stay on the air...

Futurama is a Matt Groening creation just as deep as Simpsons. Let's not forget Family Guy also got cancel and could barely stay on the air. Futurama/ Family Guy came around that weird time in mainstream adult TV.

Also, the Family Guy subreddit only has r/familyguy 226,605 subscribers. So one could make the argument Futurama has a more loyal following.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from optic:

Futurama is a Matt Groening creation just as deep as Simpsons. Let's not forget Family Guy also got cancel and could barely stay on the air. Futurama/ Family Guy came around that weird time in mainstream adult TV.

Let's not forget that ever since X-files went off the air, Fox has filled up Sunday nights with all kinds of animated crap, some worse than others, trying to match the popularity of the Simpsons, and most stayed on way too long.

King of the Hill was probably the best of the bunch. IMO.

#8 5 years ago

One of the best themes left unproduced, for sure.

#9 5 years ago

Great show!

Sadly for the most part everything they put out after the initial run wasn’t so hot.

Probably too stale and niche to elbow out any of the other million more deserving licenses.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from optic:

100% agree this would look amazing!!!!

Also, the Family Guy subreddit only has r/familyguy 226,605 subscribers. So one could make the argument Futurama has a more loyal following.

And Family Guy had to be rethemed into something else to recover the costs of developing the layout/mechs. Family Guy wasn't some smash hit for Stern

(Don't get me wrong either, I'd love for a Futurama pin. I just don't think it's a smart business move)

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The Simpsons was a smash hit for around 15 years when they got a pinball.

Wow, the Simpsons started in 1975

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from gutz:

I know you're talking about DE, but even then the Simpsons was a hit new show. (It was also Data East at peak "put any license we can afford onto a machine")

#13 5 years ago

No, JJP or Deeproot does.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from VividPsychosis:

No, JJP or Deeproot does.

Would say JJP but we already know the next 3 games. And most of us may be dead before they get those 3 out the door.

As for Deeproot... I'll take the show stance on that one. Wish them the best and I'm hoping they can deliver

#15 5 years ago

Stern actually had the option, but went with TSPP. After they made that decision, futurama got cancelled.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from gutz:

No... Simpsons started in December of 1989....

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Navy_AT1:

No... Simpsons started in December of 1989....

Try April of 1987.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Try April of 1987.

Are you referring to when the shorts started on The Tracy Ulman show or the full Simpson’s show? Because the first full episode was December 17th 1989. Try again

#19 5 years ago

April 1987 when the Simpsons first started on the Tracey Ulman show.

#20 5 years ago

Sweet.. than we are both correct. ( I was referring to the full show ) I don’t consider the Tracy ulman shorts as the start myself. But to steer this back on topic I too think Futurama would lend itself to be a great license for a pin... lots of stuff to pull from.

6 months later
    #21 4 years ago

this futurama virtual table is pretty decent:
    http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-24458-futurama

futurama1 (resized).pngfuturama1 (resized).pngfuturama2 (resized).pngfuturama2 (resized).png
    2 years later
    #22 2 years ago

Futurama is BACK!!! 20 Episodes ordered by Hulu! Make this pin a reality!!! Take my money, please!

#23 2 years ago

It has to happen….if it doesn’t happen it’ll be the biggest missed opportunity in pinball history. If they do decide to do it, the worrisome part of it will be…will they do it justice??? There’s so much material they can use from the show, I don’t if they’ll leave something out fans would be looking for. Once thing is for sure they need “death by snu snu” and some “real velour” (Zapp Brannigan)

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ivanhoe:

It has to happen….if it doesn’t happen it’ll be the biggest missed opportunity in pinball history. If they do decide to do it, the worrisome part of it will be…will they do it justice??? There’s so much material they can use from the show, I don’t if they’ll leave something out fans would be looking for. Once thing is for sure they need “death by snu snu” and some “real velour” (Zapp Brannigan)

you could say the same thing about the simpsons, but it got made twice. There should be madison cube garden somewhere on there.

#26 2 years ago

It’s made for pinball:

#27 2 years ago

I’ll make my own futurama pinball, but with black Jack and hookers!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ivanhoe:

I don’t if they’ll leave something out fans would be looking for.

Something like using an impersonator for Bender's callouts?

#29 2 years ago

I've always believed that Futurama need a pin, and that there are more than enough fans to support it. And those that still route pins would find it a huge money maker due to instant recognizability and appeal, much like South Park. (Only better, if they don't make it suck.) Just think of all the possibilities with toys, callouts, episode references, etc... Not to mention the great graphic opportunities and potential light show. But it should be built by Stern, in order to make sure that there are enough units built, and at a reasonable (???) price point, rather than the limited edition boutique, "place your order now, oops too late" expensive approach.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Hunter:

rather than the limited edition boutique, "place your order now, oops too late" expensive approach.

You left out "sell your pre-order spot at a $1500 loss months later when the game still isn't made and everybody has moved on."

#31 2 years ago

Topper would be easy. Just re-use TWD fish tank and replace with the dead president's/celebrities.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from medic0000:

Futurama is BACK!!! 20 Episodes ordered by Hulu! Make this pin a reality!!! Take my money, please!

Eh, with no John DiMagio? Hard Pass.
    https://collider.com/futurama-revival-bender-voice-john-dimaggio-not-returning-explained/

#33 2 years ago

I can’t even believe the revival would be greenlit without Bender… they’re really starting out with a massive uphill battle seemingly. I’m less likely to try it. I was a casual fan of the first 4 seasons or whatever it was. It would 100% absolutely make for a perfect pin- especially with bender and other cast callouts.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from ATLpb:

I can’t even believe the revival would be greenlit without Bender… they’re really starting out with a massive uphill battle seemingly. I’m less likely to try it. I was a casual fan of the first 4 seasons or whatever it was. It would 100% absolutely make for a perfect pin- especially with bender and other cast callouts.

I mean, what next, no Billy West, who does more voices on the show than anyone else (Fry, Farnsworth, Zapp Branigan, and so on) or Maybe no Maurice LeMarch (Kiff, Mordo, Nixon, The Headless body of Agnew)?

1 week later
    #37 2 years ago

I was just thinking the other day about what pin would make a great Futurama retheme. Attack from mars could easily be changed to Futurama. The main spaceship could be the omicronian spaceship. One of the smaller ones could be when bender was turned into a ufo at Roswell. So many possibilities

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Brh5073:

I was just thinking the other day about what pin would make a great Futurama retheme. Attack from mars could easily be changed to Futurama. The main spaceship could be the omicronian spaceship. One of the smaller ones could be when bender was turned into a ufo at Roswell. So many possibilities

I would probably retheme a less valuable game, something like MM or Monster Bash.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from NEW-B:

[quoted image]

He' always said that, but it usually wasn't.

I always wanted to see an episode where Farnsworth enters a room and says that and then everyone immediately runs screaming in terror.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would probably retheme a less valuable game, something like MM or Monster Bash.

I wouldn't actually retheme one but if they wanted to go cheaper on production they can use most of the design from AFM

#42 2 years ago

Copy paste and add your ideas!

Features that would be cool:
    1) A robot hell playfield below (like Munsters and others)
    2) A mini game on the screen like the space invaders spoof where Fry fights the Omicronians
    3) A playfield Bender toy that spins around and says "bite my shiny metal ass"
    4) An onscreen game that has kill bots shooting and you assume the role Zap Brannigan sending wave after wave of men and you have to hits enough targets to reach the kill limit of the kill bots

#43 2 years ago

This is the pin I want more than any other. The possibilities are endless

#44 2 years ago

Robot hell, old new York or sewer mutants. While we all know bender is great there are other aspects other than robots.

#45 2 years ago

Call outs?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-needs-a-futurama-pinball?hl=optic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.