(Topic ID: 187310)

Stern ... new translucent aprons

By hoby1

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2184 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Check out Sterns Facebook. Now available in four different colors.

#3 7 years ago

I'd appreciate a step up on quality instead of more gimmicky add ons. Are these made of plastic? Maybe the lighter weight will keep their cabinets from splitting.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Are these made of plastic?

I heard from an unreliable source that they were stained glass, but I'm not buying it. My money's on plastic.

#5 7 years ago

Probably just like AC/DC. Factory plastic and look great

#6 7 years ago

They do look nice but I'm not trading my metal ones for plastic.

#8 7 years ago

"shiny object" to take your minds off the other topics at hand.....lol

#9 7 years ago

What's the point?

#10 7 years ago

Are those Premium or LE--kinda pricey...

#11 7 years ago

Man Stern needs to concentrate on quality control and code not this stuff.

#12 7 years ago

That's already on my Transformers LE.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Man Stern needs to concentrate on quality control and code not this stuff.

I seriously doubt their coders or the QA people were pulled to create these.

#14 7 years ago

I love it. It makes it a lot easier to have a view of chipping clear coat whre the balls roll into the trunk. Perfect add-on. Must have.

Do they really have the time to create things like this instead of finding and erasing their quality issues?

I am very impressed

#15 7 years ago

All the colors are "candy". Hah.

I bet someone will come up with some cool mods with these. I'm interested for homebrew, kinda pricey though.

#17 7 years ago

I'll post this again since it seems people aren't reading all the entries in this thread.

I seriously doubt their coders or the QA people were pulled to create these.

#19 7 years ago

No, not everyone, but a very loud minority on Pinside for sure.

#20 7 years ago

Translucent aprons to match you translucent cabinet corners! What a country!

#21 7 years ago

Maybe I am old fashioned but I love the solid, black metal aprons that used to be on Stern games..

#22 7 years ago

These are the same as what Stern put on their games a few years ago I think. My Refinery Met Pro is # 8 has a red one on with the pebble surface on the underside, it was one of the options that they offered. Stern only had red available back then.

#23 7 years ago

Now that's an interesting idea. Here is my green translucent on GBLE..

Added over 7 years ago: Thanks extendo for the great video.

#24 7 years ago

Nah, there was a transparent red apron on some fancy version of one of the earlier games. I snagged one for my Ironman ages ago, long before TimeBandit stepped in to fill the desire for more.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Nah, there was a transparent red apron on some fancy version of one of the earlier games. I snagged one for my Ironman ages ago, long before TimeBandit stepped in to fill the desire for more.

Yeah, I was always surprised they kept such a tight rein on the supply of the red ones. Well, I'm probably out of business with these now, lol, but maybe I can take credit for at least making them make them available.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well, I'm probably out of business with these now

Just sell them at a better price (if you can) or differentiate your product somehow.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

. Well, I'm probably out of business with these now,

Go where they don't. Bally, Williams, Gottlieb.
    Was kinda sh1tty of them tho.

#28 7 years ago

Next thing u know Stern will start selling light up speaker kits.

#29 7 years ago

Crystal Tint is a better name than Candy.

#30 7 years ago

Seems a bit steep as far as price goes for a factory-direct product. Also, I think TimeBandit makes a better looking arch.

#31 7 years ago

Just as an aside. Mine are about to effectively get cheaper as I will be fitting the lift panels by default and the price will remain the same.

#32 7 years ago

Man, I don't really read the new Stern threads anymore, they haven't made a game since Metallica I'm really interested in, I didn't realize the hostility levels were so high. Are they fucking up that badly?

I can remember when this thread would have been more positive...

#33 7 years ago

The vocal minority Stern basher drum bangers make every thread possible now about how shitty they are.

Oh well, pinball marches onward!

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Man, I don't really read the new Stern threads anymore, they haven't made a game since Metallica I'm really interested in, I didn't realize the hostility levels were so high. Are they fucking up that badly?

You should take a tour. Ghosting playfields, splitting cabinets. Hostility is high because of quality issues... and the purge / not purge, but that is another matter.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You should take a tour. Ghosting playfields, splitting cabinets. Hostility is high because of quality issues... and the purge / not purge, but that is another matter.

Yikes. Are playfields STILL ghosting? I've seen some cab complaints about splitting at the corners I guess that's a thing now too? Oh pinball.

#36 7 years ago

Time Bandit's aprons are sweet! I put one in my xmen and love it, he was great to work with too.
    http://redshiftled.com.au/products.php

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I think some people's frustrations with Stern right now are due to paying record NIB prices and not receiving a high quality product in return. A lot of games going out are fine but there's more then usual that are not. Its hard to stomach $5k-$15k for a pinball machine of all things but when there's playfield issues, cabinet issues, orbit issues, code issues, etc and it just all becomes very frustrating. Seeing official mods for items that many believe should come with a NIB game in the first place doesn't help either.

People wouldn't mind paying the high prices as much as long as quality remained high. With prices going up there's no reason for Stern to be cutting corners on either cabinet quality, playfield quality or code support. Same goes for all manufactures who may attempt to pull the same stuff.

#38 7 years ago

The price is laughable! $100 for a plastic apron? Come on, Stern, stop being so greedy and seeing how much you can raise prices on us while being cheaper everywhere else!

#39 7 years ago

$30 now $100, yeah TimeBandit you have all my future apron business buddy, I haven't seen one of your aprons in person but I'm sure they are of a higher quality plus better variety of colours, win win. Stern can go sit on a stick!

#40 7 years ago

Tough crowd over here...lol

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yikes. Are playfields STILL ghosting?

No, they're not.

The people that are the first to jump into any un-releated thread and bitch as loudly as possible about Stern are rarely ever the ones affected by an issue.

Pinside is a mirror to society as a whole. Some people just like to get as many digs in as possible. You'll find it in any forum about any topic.

#43 7 years ago

Most companies try to make something cheaper - cost cutting is just part of their job. I don't mind if the product still
    performs adequately but in the case of the Stern cabinets they do not hold up under normal use or transportation. They need to fix this and I think they will in time. They did offer new playfields in the ghosting issue to some.

#44 7 years ago

+1 for Timebandit's aprons. Have a red one installed in my Walking Dead Pro and installed a custom led strip to illuminate it....and Timebandit is a great guy also.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Go where they don't. Bally, Williams, Gottlieb.
    Was kinda sh1tty of them tho.

Stern is nothing but shitty

#46 7 years ago

The price is a real issue. Metal aprons go for under $60 and plastic ones are usually under $50. Asking $100 for these is totally out of line with normal pricing. There's trying to make a healthy margin and then there's gouging. This is the latter. If they were outfitted with some lighting effects, had some sort of extra utility, or they were somehow special, people would be a bit more tolerant and maybe even excited.

There has been a shift in culture at Stern. Yes, they still make the best games and are the most reliable when it comes to release schedule and timelines, but man, they seriously seem to care less and less about being a good member of the community than they used to.

#47 7 years ago

A business is not there to be a good member of the community, they are there to make money. Sometimes giving a little back brings in more business and more money. Stern and Gary Stern himself has proven that they don't give a rats ass about their product or you.

Sorry but that is my view on the whole thing.

#48 7 years ago

If they don't sell these at $99, they will lower the price. Standard business practices.

Some people act like Stern stabbed their Mother.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

And some here would still give them a pass for that...

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

If they don't sell these at $99, they will lower the price. Standard business practices.

Seems pretty simple. Buy or don't.

Whining about it makes no sense. Buy from Time bandit

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-ne-translucent-aprons?hl=xrated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.