You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-574.jpg
image.jpg
mustang-sketchy.jpg
mustang-le.jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Look, as all of you know I complain a lot. I just want each game to be the best it can and sometimes let my frustration carry over to badmouthing certain companies way of doing business.

The Bad - Looks like Steve Ritchie funny animations are gone. Lack of all 8 songs like in the premium. Really only missing 2 since there are 6 modes you need to play through all of the time to get to the other modes. New background music that was added is an upgrade and acceptable. My complaints are all just minor now.

The Good - This game is badass. I've been playing it non stop for 3 weeks and not getting tired of it. I will say those who are passing on this game are making a mistake. I will go on record and say I currently put Mustang up there with Iron Man. The pin is brutally fast and just plain fun. I rank it up with Iron Man and Star Trek, In fact, I think this game is the next Iron Man as far as being bashed or overlooked by the majority of pinheads. Plus digging the homage to other games from the B/W error.

Mustang is a solid B plus to A minus game and is only going to get better. Its a minimalist game, that is simply badass and I applaud its playability.

Kudos to Stern on this one!!!!

#2 10 years ago

this game will be an winner and my own fiance angela drobka did voices for this game.. (she is the daisy diesel character) also she is the mustangfan voice.. like 7 pages of quotes and quite a bit of it is within the 1.2 code implemented.. cant wait to hear and play the new code for myself.. so cool that she is actually now in the game hihihi

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

this game will be an winner and my own fiance angela drobka did voices for this game.. (she is the daisy diesel character) also she is the mustangfan voice.. like 7 pages of quotes and quite a bit of it is within the 1.2 code implemented.. cant wait to hear and play the new code for myself.. so cool that she is actually now in the game hihihi

That's cool Roy!

rd

#4 10 years ago

There is a Mustang 50th party at the speedway in Charlotte NC this weekend.
My dealer has a booth - thinking of taking my machine and showing it off - tens of thousands of people will be there.

#5 10 years ago

Looks like a great update. I sure wish they would get rid of the mustang letters rolling from player to player. To me that was a big issue that needed to be fixed as player one can lite all the letters, not hit the scoop and then player two comes in and gets the MUSTANG multiball.

Don't own the game yet but hope to some day soon so I look forward to these updates.

On a side note, anyone open their manual willing to help me out with a couple scan's or pics of a couple pages from it?

#6 10 years ago

Before the game ever came out people were bashing it on theme alone, no one had even seen it or played it and I just couldn't understand it. Fords reputation was on the line and I knew they would demand a great looking and playing game, they would not get another chance. I want a Pro but I have to sell my Refinery MET first. Mustang will be my first NIB game and I'm really looking forward to it.

MustangPaul........you can see why I want it.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

There is a Mustang 50th party at the speedway in Charlotte NC this weekend.
My dealer has a booth - thinking of taking my machine and showing it off - tens of thousands of people will be there.

Boy ...would I love to be there for that. Pictures PLEASE.

#8 10 years ago

Played it a couple of times at TPF and it did not impress me although my friends had been raving about it. Looks like I am gonna have to give it another try.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I sure wish they would get rid of the mustang letters rolling from player to player. To me that was a big issue that needed to be fixed as player one can lite all the letters, not hit the scoop and then player two comes in and gets the MUSTANG multiball.

I agree! I really didn't like that. Plus you are only able to earn one letter per ball, so you can't get it. But that is one I am pretty sure will be changed. The style of it seemed to be intending something like the backglass DELUXE in EBD, or "TIC TAC TOE" on X's & O's, but instead of credits, it gives you a feature in the game. That will need to be changed.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I agree! I really didn't like that. Plus you are only able to earn one letter per ball, so you can't get it. But that is one I am pretty sure will be changed. The style of it seemed to be intending something like the backglass DELUXE in EBD, or "TIC TAC TOE" on X's & O's, but instead of credits, it gives you a feature in the game. That will need to be changed.

I'm sure that was exactly the intention. Think of it, when it's on location somewhere, if all but one letter is lit then you'll want to play since "a rare mode" is ready to go!
Now there should be an option to enable/disable the one letter-pr-ball thing for people who have it at home. But definitely keep it for location use. Gottlieb did that a lot in their sys3 games, and bally/williams did that quite a bit in the sys16/wpc era as well.

#11 10 years ago

Good news! I wish it had another ramp but otherwise the gameplay is smooth and feels good.

#12 10 years ago

Not a game I will ever own, but I will say that it is a fun game to play for sure. I hope one shows up around here on location.

#13 10 years ago

Won't purchase the pin, but would love to see one on location to play as well..

#14 10 years ago

For those interested, here's the readme file of the two most recent updates.

V1.20 - April 10, 2014
=======================

- fixed mystery award.
- fixed top lanes display effect (text off screen).
- upgrade hurryup/multiball start not available if drift or stampede is ready.
- fixed orbit upost logic when races and upgrade hurryup are running at the same time.
- the "Upgrade Hurry-Up Start" presentation now precedes the "Gears Multiball Start" presentation.
- added logic to allow rally and stunt races to be paused.
- Added pause code logic for timer in road course, and also pause code for the light shows and daisy speech in drag race
so it pauses the timer when mustang multiball is running.
- removed the final two shots once you are in 2nd place in road course, just the scoop is lit to finish the mode.
- Races do not inhibit up-post if upgrade hurryup is running.
- Tweaked the "race is started but not completed" lamp blinking pattern.
- added upgrade hurryup as the first upgrade tier award.
- now top lanes can be moved with the flippers.
- top lanes reset between balls
- races are not allowed to start if an upgrade mode/multiball is ready to start.
- Added new drag race multiball dots to gears multiball start.
- Added new daisy diesel speech to drag race mode, and fixed the timer so you can hear the background speech.
- Added Mabel speech to road course jackpot display effect
- Added new dots to road course end to get rid of daisy holding trophy when you win.
- Tweaked scoring in rally race.
- Fixed rally race always putting user into Driving straight after they drain.
- Fixed rally race lights in race select.
- Fixed rally race not keeping track of #shots made after ball drain.
- Police Pursuit scoring
1. 6.5M if you make it to the chase.
2. 15.7M if you finish everything.
- Fixed lamp effect not being killed properly
- Added new lamp effects to: a) Gears multiball start b) Orbit shots in rally/stunt
- Added new gears target hit sounds
- Added translations to coil, lamp, message, switch tables.
- added a background display effect that shows the race name and all player scores (and ball/credits if there is space).
This display effect is used as the background display effect for races in the following case:
num players>1 && ball is in shooter groove. The reason for this is so that in a multiplayer game,
the players know which player is up.
- Race lights - if a race is "started" but not yet "completed", it will blink 28ms on, 4 ms off.
- added new race course speech.
- Added sound effects to hitting the gears drop targets.
- Added rally race turn callouts.
- Made shifting to higher gears easier. (gear 5 and 6 are now easier to achieve)
- Allow player to flipper blowoff gears multiball intro.
- cruisin now has 2 levels. The second level requires the player to make 4 roving shots.
- Crusin display now shows 2X awards, cruisin base scores are reset between sessions.
- spinner moves the top lanes.
- pause races during Mustang Multiball.
- Added new speech to drift.
- Added new dots to drift.
- Upgrades are awarded immediately rather than collected at the scoop.
- Upgrade Tier awards are awarded immediately upon completing all 7 upgrades.
- added Silverball Stampede Ready, Silverball Stampede music.
- Added background music for silverball stampede and drift ready/intro.
- Fixed the following music issues
1. Race Select restarts every time flipper button is pressed
2. Music turned off when resuming a race and entering test mode.
- Bonus music: kill bonus music when bonus display effect terminates.
- fixed demo race bug.

V1.13 - April 3, 2014
=======================

- released 1.13 code for NY Auto Show, Empire State Building, and regional shows.
- This release is for Demo Race default ON.
- Fixed bugs with road course restarting/continuing.
- Fixed text in the drag race intro for the demo mode.
- Demo race multiball now 4 ball instead of 6 ball.
- added demo race requirements (No replay, no match, no high score, free play 1 ball game).
- Do not start Race Select if Mustang Multiball is ready.
- Do not blink "NEW CAR" when in Race Select.
- Fixed two sound effects whose names were reversed.
- Gears multiball recognizes when demo race is active and adjusts rules and scoring accordingly.
- Demo race adjustment now selectable.
- In demo race, no mustang letters can be collected, no upgrade multiball can be started, and no mustang multiball can be started.
- If AD_DEMO_RACE is YES, play DEMO RACE music and disable Race Select (it was starting from the scoop).
- added upgrade hurryup logic.
- Changed the shift lights so that they represent the drag race when in the drag race mode, the lights had been showing the current gears level
- Used drag race mode end dots, in road course mode end to let you know your place at the end of the race
- Revamped the road course part B, so that you have to get 1st place to complete the mode. Changed the way you earn bonus points for 1st place.
- Added light show for road course end with you in 1st
- Added other racers to road course start display effect
- new match effect artwork added (to allow blinking of matched numbers)
- changed match display effect timing.
- Fixed number of jackpots needed for super jackpot to light
- Bumped up gears drop target scores
- added/changed sounds in match effect
- added art to mystery, mystery lit display effects.
- fixed a right orbit bug caused by drift race, i.e. it caused balls to go into the pop bumpers even if drift race was not running.
- added toolbox art.
- added Tanner Speech.
- added cruisin award sounds.
- added return lane sounds.
- added tilt/warning sounds.
- Modified Drift race rules.
- Added game timer pauses (Drift).
- Added some additional movement to the cars in the drag race background to show them jockeying for position
- Changed the intro Display Effect on ball 2 and 3 for the drag race mode.
Now, if you drain on drag race before reaching MB, it will show daisy diesel instead of showing the cars taking off again. Added more drag speech.
- Changed the opening text from the “champ vs 1970 mach I” to “Daisy diesel vs 1970 mach I”
- Added confetti dots to road course end if you get 1st place, and also cheering sound effect.
- Fixed a bug when tilting in road course that gave a "congratulations 00" message for completing the race.
- Added rules to mode intros with a screen flip, only showed the first time you play.

#15 10 years ago

my "mea culpa" on that pin...

because now i played few games on it, i must admit i had fun, and so my son too

i still didnt like the photoshoped art (thats all about personnal taste of course) of the playfield, the "pro" is OK for the box & backglass, but the LE !?
btw, doesnt know which code it was

and dont know if this is been already posted, but i think (hard while playing) i have seen "sparky" riding a car, and also "saucers" from AFM... some easter eggs ???

well, i'm not saying that i want one at home, but for those who're loving the theme, i can now understand why they bought it

#16 10 years ago

I too have seen more dmd animation such as the saucers and the Alien driving a car.
I found myself draining trying to catch a glimpse at the DMD. Fun game getting better.

#17 10 years ago

Like I've been telling people before it even came out, Ford would not and will not let the game fail when it came to game play. How do you think Stern would look if it wimped out on this game for one of the biggest corps in the world. I'm sure Ford DEMANDED a great game and that's why it got the code up-grade so fast and I'm sure more will follow soon. I'm counting the days till I order a Pro.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Like I've been telling people before it even came out, Ford would not and will not let the game fail when it came to game play. How do you think Stern would look if it wimped out on this game for one of the biggest corps in the world. I'm sure Ford DEMANDED a great game and that's why it got the code up-grade so fast and I'm sure more will follow soon. I'm counting the days till I order a Pro.

I doubt Ford would know anything about what constitutes a good pinball machine.

All they'd care about was the art on the sides and the logos were present, correct and the right size.

rd.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I doubt Ford would know anything about what constitutes a good pinball machine.
All they'd care about was the art on the sides and the logos were present, correct and the right size.
rd.

May be not but I'm sure their consultants do. They would not go into something of this magnitude with out consultants, they are a world wide company and that's what huge corps. all do. I'm sure their PR people were in on it also.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

May be not but I'm sure their consultants do. They would not go into something of this magnitude with out consultants, they are a world wide company and that's what huge corps. all do. I'm sure their PR people were in on it also.

Pinball consultants?

I want that job.

lol

rd

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Pinball consultants?

You know what I'm talkin about.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Pinball consultants?
I want that job.
lol
rd

Instead of a paycheck, you get buckets of coins.

#23 9 years ago

Hank I don't think it's even close to Iron Man level. It's solid..maybe 6.5-7.0ish but not an 8 or a 9.

Maybe if Lopp gets the Upgrades and completing modes to factor into the Super Jackpots in Gear Shift ...then and only then will it get better. Needs more strategy.

Right now (1.2) it's simple and solid.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Casey_Bryson:

Hank I don't think it's even close to Iron Man level. It's solid..maybe 6.5-7.0ish but not an 8 or a 9.
Maybe if Lopp gets the Upgrades and completing modes to factor into the Super Jackpots in Gear Shift ...then and only then will it get better. Needs more strategy.
Right now (1.2) it's simple and solid.

Agreed. It's far too early in its (still simple) code to compare Mustang to Iron Man, or to crap on Mustang code too much -- for the same reason.

I will continue to crap on Mustang for its call-outs though.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Agreed. It's far too early in its (still simple) code to compare Mustang to Iron Man, or to crap on Mustang code too much -- for the same reason.

Here ye, here ye! I'm liking the gameplay but the callouts are still horrific. The only jackpot callouts that sound worth a damn to my ear are the ones during Mustang Multiball. The French guy sucks. The rich guy sucks. The stoner dude REALLY SUCKS. OK, Roy's girlfriend reminds me of Peg Bundy's voice and that is cool!

#26 9 years ago

Love the double ramp with diverter.
Like the theme and music.
Like the sounds and dots.
Don't mind the double-lanes above and the action of the pops.
Just okay with the callouts - not as lame as MET, but worse than many.
Really dislike the drop targets right up the middle; the post behind keeps popping the ball SDTM.
Can't stand the missed opportunity with the whole shifting mechanic.

All-in-all a solid effort, but not top 10 for me.

#27 9 years ago

Snailman - Where are you playing this? Noticed it's not in your collection so wondering if you found one on route in Austin.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

Love the double ramp with diverter.
Like the theme and music.
Like the sounds and dots.
Don't mind the double-lanes above and the action of the pops.
Really dislike the drop targets right up the middle; the post behind keeps popping the ball SDTM.
Can't stand the missed opportunity with the whole shifting mechanic.

I really like this game and my only gripe is most drains are SDTM.. The more I play the more I like for sure in the top 10 for me

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Snailman - Where are you playing this? Noticed it's not in your collection so wondering if you found one on route in Austin.

Sadly, no. I know of no Mustang pins in Austin -- on route or in someone's home collection. I played it at TPF, and got to the two wizard modes (that I know of). So anything I'm saying about it: (A) is from my memory, and (B) potentially outdated due to newer code that's dropped since TPF.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

I really like this game and my only gripe is most drains are SDTM.. The more I play the more I like for sure in the top 10 for me

Most drains are left or right for me on two different machines....not sure why you're seeing so many center drains.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

What version were you playing at TPF? 1.2 is pretty much finished, unless they decide to rework EVERYTHING. I don't see much 180 Donut or 360 Bowl action...but that appears to be all that's missing.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The French guy sucks.

Uh? Do I?

#33 9 years ago

What version were you playing at TPF? 1.2 is pretty much finished, unless they decide to rework EVERYTHING. I don't see much 180 Donut or 360 Bowl action...but that appears to be all that's missing.

I don't recall the exact version #, but we worked with Stern on opening day (Friday, 3/28) to get the latest one they had.
But I think it was pre-1.2.

That's too bad if it's close to finished as is, because I feel it's sorely lacking in strategic & tactical decision options for the player. Needs more stacking options & nuances. Perhaps this is in 1.2?
When I played it, the only strategic choices were:
- what mode to select.
- whether to start a mode prior to GSMB.
- the option to go for 4th or 5th gear versions of GSMB.
- starting 2x scoring (but due to the nature of qualifying this, and the precious nature of each ball in tourney play, I wasn't ever trying to hit the purple standups of death)

I hope there's more, and if so, I'm all ears.

#34 9 years ago

How do you add-a-ball to your MB in Mustang?

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

How do you add-a-ball to your MB in Mustang?

Good question. I have not figured this out yet either, but I think it may have to do with the RPM targets on the right side.

#36 9 years ago

LOL at "purple standups of death".... sincerely, that NOS target on the far left is WAY more of a sucker shot than the fuel lane ever is on Metallica, and Fuel lane is pretty bad sometimes. It just boggles the mind how you can shoot something that far and low on the side of the playfield and it comes right back and goes STDM with no chance of recovery.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I work for a company that takes its brand/branding very seriously. I doubt that they looked any further than the branding and to make sure that the Mustang II was not present.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

LOL at "purple standups of death".... sincerely, that NOS target on the far left is WAY more of a sucker shot than the fuel lane ever is on Metallica, and Fuel lane is pretty bad sometimes. It just boggles the mind how you can shoot something that far and low on the side of the playfield and it comes right back and goes STDM with no chance of recovery.

Agreed. I remember the first couple times I successfully shot the 2x scoring at TPF, and thought, "Yeah! I nailed it! 2x scor...." Never mind. Bonus count.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Agreed. I remember the first couple times I successfully shot the 2x scoring at TPF, and thought, "Yeah! I nailed it! 2x scor...." Never mind. Bonus count.

I think it's even more dangerous because of the damn STROBE that happens for about 3 seconds after you hit the NOS target...it took some getting use to.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I don't recall the exact version #, but we worked with Stern on opening day (Friday, 3/28) to get the latest one they had.
But I think it was pre-1.2.
That's too bad if it's close to finished as is, because I feel it's sorely lacking in strategic & tactical decision options for the player. Needs more stacking options & nuances. Perhaps this is in 1.2?
When I played it, the only strategic choices were:
- what mode to select.
- whether to start a mode prior to GSMB.
- the option to go for 4th or 5th gear versions of GSMB.
- starting 2x scoring (but due to the nature of qualifying this, and the precious nature of each ball in tourney play, I wasn't ever trying to hit the purple standups of death)
I hope there's more, and if so, I'm all ears.

Nope that's about it in 1.2, but the 360 bowl and 180 donut are perfect for adding modifiers/strategy decision; hopefully we'll see this in the next update. I also think they need to get completing modes and the number of modes you've played into the Gears Super Jackpot equation.

#41 9 years ago

Soo...Anyone that owns the game care to take the glass off and tell us what exactly modifies your Super Jackpots in Gears? I'm back to thinking your Upgrades do in fact change the Super Value. Still not sure if you can stack Nitro 2X or Tool boxes to keep one available for multi-balls.

#42 9 years ago

Played a bunch of Mustang at the launch party in CO and had fun with it. Not sure what version of software it was running but I know for the Jackpots in Gears multiball, Jack from Stern said the value is the sum of the gears. So if you are in sixth gear that means 6+5+4+3+2+1 = 2.1M per jackpot if you are in sixth gear? For 4th gear it would be (4+3+2+1 = 1M.

I know you can stack the 2x N2O scoring too since I did that during the tournament once.

#43 9 years ago

You guys haveJohnTrudeau to thank for yet another different non cookie cutter pin...

I'm sure that the code will continue to develope , and this pin will be even better than it is now, I think Stern is paying more attention to all of us here... This pin proves that in more ways than one

#44 9 years ago

and there were so many nay-sayers before we even knew what the game looked like.

#45 9 years ago

I played it at our local launch party. Was pretty fun, only got in a couple games, but enjoyed shooting it. The game is pretty hideous, art looks cheap and loud on the playfield and off. All this hype about getting this big car artist turned out to be a joke, it's some photoshop filters, a couple squiggles, and some poor layouts. But AC/DC already proved that an ugly game can be super fun, so that's not the be all end all of anything.

I'd play it again on location, zero interest in owning.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from genex:

Played a bunch of Mustang at the launch party in CO and had fun with it. Not sure what version of software it was running but I know for the Jackpots in Gears multiball, Jack from Stern said the value is the sum of the gears. So if you are in sixth gear that means 6+5+4+3+2+1 = 2.1M per jackpot if you are in sixth gear? For 4th gear it would be (4+3+2+1 = 1M.
I know you can stack the 2x N2O scoring too since I did that during the tournament once.

The Jackpot formula that you stated is NOT what's in 1.2 at all. It's 100K for each gear for regulars (not 100% sure about 6th gear) and Supers... close but there's something else going on even if using the same formula with 1M instead of 100K.

I usually play Gear Shift MB only in 4th gear and I rarely see 10M jackpots. They're usually around 12M-15M. I think you're on the right track though.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I played it at our local launch party. Was pretty fun, only got in a couple games, but enjoyed shooting it. The game is pretty hideous, art looks cheap and loud on the playfield and off. All this hype about getting this big car artist turned out to be a joke, it's some photoshop filters, a couple squiggles, and some poor layouts. But AC/DC already proved that an ugly game can be super fun, so that's not the be all end all of anything.

I bet it'd not get "hideous" remarks if they had warm white LED's. Those cool LED's destroy the existing color palette. Horrible lighting...that guy should be "fired".

I mean why hire an artist if you're just going to kill it with the lighting? (not that the PF is something to frame anyway)

#48 9 years ago

I bet it'd not get "hideous" remarks if they had warm white LED's. Those cool LED's destroy the existing color palette. Horrible lighting...that guy should be "fired".
I mean why hire an artist if you're just going to kill it with the lighting? (not that the PF is something to frame anyway)

No lighting can fix that art. Hey, taste is subjective, someone else might dig it. I'm not a fan. It gets the job done while you're playing.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's a car pin showcasing 50 years of the Mustang what do you expect, Big Daddy Roth type artwork on the pf, cab and bb? It's an original from the artist, it's signed by him on the lower right of the cab. I love it but to each his own.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's a car pin showcasing 50 years of the Mustang what do you expect, Big Daddy Roth type artwork on the pf, cab and bb? It's an original from the artist, it's signed by him on the lower right of the cab. I love it but to each his own.

I'm glad you love it, don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. I'm pulling for more hand drawn art, even if it's Dirty Donny who isn't my favorite choice. Even if it'd Donny doing Iron Maiden which will probably make some people mad. Let the artists draw Stern!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-mustang-a-great-pinball-game-with-software-12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.