• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980
#1 3 years ago

Title says it all, just finished up with a stern galaxy. Everything works except for awarding credits. The match feature doesn't award credits, nor does passing any of the high scores. I replaced the dipswitches as some of them weren't switching correctly. High game to date switches 15 and 16 are both on as is the match feature switch and switch 6 which controls the extra ball or replay.

Everything worked correctly before the installation of NVRAM. I believe I adjusted the audits correctly, however the second and third high score adjustments read oddly. For a high score of 250000, it reads 25_1_1. Not sure if that's normal or not.

#3 3 years ago

Yeah, I had tried that. I had to reset a bunch of stuff, and that's what got the high scores saving but still not registering credits. It turned out there were over 100 credits on the machine. I'm not sure how that happened, the theoretical maximum is 40. Either way, it appeared as 9 credits, and when I kept taking credits off, it went to 0 and then 99. I eventually worked it back to 0 and now everything's working.

#4 3 years ago

NVRAM is tested by most vendors before shipment. This leaves the NVRAM in a state sometimes filled with all zeros or all ones (binary). The game software may not detect that RAM is incoherent and then use these bogus values.

The solution is to do exactly as you have done. Nice job.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

The game software may not detect that RAM is incoherent and then use these bogus values.

There's no integrity checking on Bally/Stern software of this era. Whatever the value is, it uses.

When the OP cleared the ram it should have cleared the bogus credit amount though. It wouldn't award credits for sure if the bogus value was higher than the max credits which it would be it the ram was 'blanked' at $ff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-mpu200-not-awarding-credits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.