Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by eh97ac
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Reworked an unknown m100 with original battery still attached, surprisingly no corrosion. Set up the jumpers for 2716 at U2 and U6.

Got 6 flashes on the bench (Yay) and off to the game I go.....no 7th flash. OK Cool, f4 on the rectifier must be blown, nope. Still cool, must be the voltage, nope, 45 on the rectifier, 45 on the left side of R113 and 22.5 on the right. R113 & R16 are new. Also verified the 6800 in another game.

Ok, swap in new scoketed U14 and U12....still no 7th flash

Is the 22.5VDC just high enough to stop the 4049?

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Reworked an unknown m100 with original battery still attached, surprisingly no corrosion. Set up the jumpers for 2716 at U2 and U6.
    Got 6 flashes on the bench (Yay) and off to the game I go.....no 7th flash. OK Cool, f4 on the rectifier must be blown, nope. Still cool, must be the voltage, nope, 45 on the rectifier, 45 on the left side of R113 and 22.5 on the right. R113 & R16 are new. Also verified the 6800 in another game.
    Ok, swap in new scoketed U14 and U12....still no 7th flash
    Is the 22.5VDC just high enough to stop the 4049?

Check that you have a 120hz pulse leaving u14 and going to the PIA zero cross input pin. U14 can and does fail when the voltage dividing resistors fail and overvolts u14 and/or when the 82ohm resistor right below u14 overheats it.

#3 8 years ago

#4 8 years ago

Check the IRQ is connected to both PIA and the IRQ pin of the cpu. If good, replace the PIA with the zero cross input (u10 i think it is).

#5 8 years ago

I have continuity between the 6800 IRQ (pin 4) and both 6821's IRQ (pins 37 & 38).
    I'm not sure what you mean by "replace the PIA with the zero cross input"

#6 8 years ago

swap in known good PIA

#7 8 years ago

Tried 6 different PIA chips in various combo locations of U10 & U11, all chips are known to be good. I also went ahead and added a new socket to the 6800. 6 flashes only

#8 8 years ago

Ugh... that sucks... i figure it is going to get really hairy from here out.

Maybe the PIA is not getting enabled right. So even though the 120hz zero cross input is proper. It doesn't read that input correctly because the PIA is not in a state to do so.

Check the address, data, and any custom CE signals the PIA may be getting the from the smaller 14-16 pin logic devices on the left. Quick glance at the schematic.... u18 and u19 failed could cause no 7th flash.

#9 8 years ago

I found an old RGP post mentioning the Stern MPU needs a 2K ohm at R113 & R16, I currently have 2.2K in place. Do you think 10% is enough to throw the system off?

I think I have some spare chips, so with nothing left to lose, I'll swap out U18 & U19.

#10 8 years ago

No, wont matter... If you have two resistors of exact same value in the divide circuit, it will be 50% division. 2k or 2.2k will both 50% divide.

play with this calculator and you will see =D.

http://www.raltron.com/cust/tools/voltage_divider.asp

#11 8 years ago

Based on a recommendation from an interwebs pinhead I have the game up and running.

Jumped U14 pin 10 to U10 pin 17

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Based on a recommendation from an interwebs pinhead I have the game up and running.
    Jumped U14 pin 10 to U10 pin 17

I think you mean U10 Pin 18? That would indicate open circuit.

#13 8 years ago

Yup my mistake, it is pin 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-mpu100-missing-7th-flash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.