Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5553 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2046 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_5143 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago

New ribbon cables would probably sell well. The originals rip at the ends. Def only make them 1x16. 100% of the time the last two pins do not need connected and may cause problems when it is. When the IRQ pin goes the 6840 square wave making chip, it will sometimes lock up the MPU. You can either bend the IRQ pin out of the socket on the 6840 sound board chip or leave it off the connector.

My Big Game came with a 1x16 and a 1x18 FWIW. Meteor had two 1x16. Who knows if that is what they came with form the factory/

You can also build your own connectors for these. Its not hard, just time consuming. Normal 0.100" molex crimp and housing fits.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Here's my take. Some people are going to have two 1x17 cables, or a 1x16 and 1x18. Others may have two 1x16 cables in their game. In terms of someone replacing what they have, people that currently have all the pins covered with their cables are going to think it's odd leaving those pins disconnected... you can explain it, you can point them to posts on RGP or Pinside -- but some people are going to want to replace exact with exact. That, along with others having offered them as 34-pin cables is why I have offered both versions as well since 2013 or 2014. It may also throw the next person buying the game too if they see pins left unconnected. Fully understood that IRQ could cause issues, but it's when the 6840 is bad isn't it? So it may happen sometimes, but it's not that it's always the case. Worst case, someone cuts those wires or pulls the wire out of the Molex header if they're having issues.. easy fix. I'm not sure if I'd like cutting into the ribbon cable personally, I'd rather just cut individual wires or pop the terminals from the connectors, but that may just be me.

Every SB300 I fix the i pull out the IRQ pin out of the socket on the 6840. It is happy just floating in the breeze. That just avoids potential issues.

Appears to be a timing issue of some sort. Swapping boards around it seems it is not necessarily the 6840, but the combination of a the MPU, the 6840 and the sound board.

4 years later
    #28 3 years ago

It is best to use 32 pin cables and not hook up the IRQ. I have come across many SB300 boards (the 6840) where having the IRQ connected across MPU j5 to SB300 actually locks up the CPU. Never went down the rabbit hole as to why, but it is common fault on maybe 1/10 boards. Pretty sure Stern realized this could be a problem too as many SB300 games I have come across had 32 pin cables in it. I did not route the IRQ track on either the replacement SB300 or MPU at J5.

2 years later
    #30 9 months ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Looking for new cables to go from SB-100 to MPU on a stern magic. Besides diy are there any kits or cables ready? I see weebly has them as an add on for buying the board but not by themselves.

You can buy just the cables. Check the pull down options.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-mpu-to-sound-board-ribbon-cable?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.