• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170828_131057 (resized).jpg
20170828_131110 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm trying to get a stern mpu 200 going in a big game for my buday. I'm a little confused about the rom configuration that came with the game though. It looks like u1 u2 and u5 are 8k chips with u6 being a 2716 eprom. Would this be factory, or has someone at some point swapped a 2716 in place of an 8k? The reason I ask is the mpu will flash 7 times but then lock up. No displays or anything. The scematic doesn't show this combo that I can see, and the jumpers are totally different for the 2716 according to the manual. I hope this makes sense. Before I start changing stuff around I wanted to see if anyone knows if this is correct.

20170828_131110 (resized).jpg20170828_131110 (resized).jpg

20170828_131057 (resized).jpg20170828_131057 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Have you checked against http://www.twobits.com/stern_jumpers.html? I don't have my big game anymore but I definitely had the same 2716 in u6...

Maybe your 5101s are too slow, are they original? Is this in the game or on the bench?

#3 6 years ago

Immediate crash after 7-flashes is, in my experience, possibly due to bad NMI (Non-Maskable Interrupt) from the 555 timer IC (little 8-pin DIP). The NMI is supposed to tell the MPU to scan the switch-matrix, and strobe the displays, lights, etc., but if it's coming too fast it will crash the 6800. Could be the 555 itself, or associated capacitors/resistors. Alas, short of shotgunning parts (replace and see if it helps), you'd need a scope to diagnose this failure.

#4 6 years ago

Unless you're really anal about getting it back to 100% 'as factory', as long as the jumpers match the chip, you should be good.
Look on the schematic straight above the part you took a picture of your monitor of, and you'll see the different chip pinouts. (i.e. For a 2716, pin 21 is +5, and pin 18 is /CS) All the jumpers are in the schematic above each of the chips with dotted lines and all the E-points.

I doubt, though, as others have said, that that is your issue.

#5 6 years ago

Yah I checked the mpu against the two bits list and the jumpers are correct for this configuration. I don't have a scope so it's either an alltek or shotgunning parts.

Thanks for the help guys. Gotta make a decision on what to do now.

Cheers

#6 6 years ago

Oh I'm testing in game. The other step I was possibly going to try is getting one of the dual 5101 nvram chips. Think it would be worth a shot? I've read that can be another cause of crash as stated above.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-mpu-200?hl=dr_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.