You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FD081349-D252-4E86-BA72-67981D29624A (resized).jpeg
B6B50F14-C28D-4712-9E68-49BE88804C69 (resized).jpeg
AC6C9FF1-A33E-4F51-9D25-5878086B1252 (resized).jpeg
3FB03CDF-4FBC-46F5-951D-4624FBE6F76D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have been taking advantage of being stuck at home to work on a Seawitch project. The game is a real roach in its present state. First, I am trying to get it working fully/reliably.

When I first put it up on legs and connected everything, it worked except that after about 10 minutes, the left flippers would die. Given that the wiring for the flippers was total crap (poor soldering, frayed wires, etc), I thought I would start by putting in all new flipper mechs with fresh wiring on molex plugs.

After changing out all four flippers, I tried playing again. It played fine for about fifteen minutes except that I noticed that the lower right pop and the right sling weren't working. I shut it down, lifted the playfield and found that the coil stop for the sling had cracked in half, allowing the coil to fall out and pull off one its wires.

I fixed the sling with a stop from one of the old flipper mechs and tried firing the game up again. This time it made a couple garbeled sounds and then...nothing. No sounds (never the normal "bong" boot sounds), no led on the MPU. I have some playfield lights on, but nothing else.

Any suggestions?

#5 4 years ago

Thanks folks. I never looked closely at the bridge rectifier (or much else for that matter since I planned on replacing most everything eventually). I didn’t even bother testing the bridge rectifier since it looked so bad. I remembered that I bought one right after I bought the game a long time so but never put it in. Planning on replacing the connectors, too. I’ll be doing that now and then checking back in. Here’s a couple pictures of it:

3FB03CDF-4FBC-46F5-951D-4624FBE6F76D (resized).jpeg3FB03CDF-4FBC-46F5-951D-4624FBE6F76D (resized).jpegAC6C9FF1-A33E-4F51-9D25-5878086B1252 (resized).jpegAC6C9FF1-A33E-4F51-9D25-5878086B1252 (resized).jpeg
#7 4 years ago

I did test the fuses. They were fine. I’ve got the new bridge rectifier soldered up. Tomorrow I will repin the connectors and put it back together.

Might not be the problem, but since I was planning on doing it anyway, I figured why not eliminate it as a possible source of or contributor to my issues.

#9 4 years ago

Okay. So I replaced the bridge rectifier, including repinning the connectors. Here’s a couple pictures of my work.

B6B50F14-C28D-4712-9E68-49BE88804C69 (resized).jpegB6B50F14-C28D-4712-9E68-49BE88804C69 (resized).jpegFD081349-D252-4E86-BA72-67981D29624A (resized).jpegFD081349-D252-4E86-BA72-67981D29624A (resized).jpeg
#10 4 years ago

Now the game boots (hooray!), but when I start a game, there are multiple issues.

First, the flippers work but none of the other coils are firing.

Second, it’s acting like there’s a switch matrix error. I’ve never dealt with a classic stern before and don’t know how they work in this regard. I’m familiar with Williams system 9 wherein switch errors were usually a blown transistor on the mpu. Is Seawitch similar? What do you folks think is going on here?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Good work, but quick point of order, it's not a 'bridge rectifier board." It's a rectifier board, which includes 3 bridge rectifiers on it
How many bongs are you getting now at start up?
Hiw isn't acting like a switch matrix error? Will it go into switch test mode?

Thanks for the terminology correction.

I get 7 bongs at startup. (Normal, right?)

The switch matrix type error is that it scores points and registers a drain upon activating a playfield switch.

I downloaded a pdf of the manual and skimmed it. I’ll read it more carefully later tonight.

I was able to go into the solenoid test. The only coil that fired was the knocker.

I also got into switch test mode and tested every switch on the playfield. All registered correctly (except the pop noted below), so now it doesn’t seem like a matrix issue.

When I tested the pops, the top and left pops register fine. The right pop does not register. I cleaned the switch for the right pop, wedged it shut and tested for continuity. The switch blades are making good contact but still not registering. That’s the only switch that failed the switch test.

In summary, no playfield coils except the flippers. All switches seem fine except the right pop.

#13 4 years ago

I also just checked voltage on all five test points on the new rectifier board. They were all good.

#14 4 years ago

I’m wondering if maybe one or more of my new trifurcon terminals is not making good contact? Not sure that would explain anything except the non-existent coil action, though. Wishing I had an actual printed schematic now. (Not that I’m good at reading them, but at least I’d stand a better chance than with my downloaded pdf version.)

#15 4 years ago

Am I reading correctly that the solenoids should get somewhere around 43v dc through a blue-white wire at pin 6 of J1 on the playfield harness connector to the rectifier board?

#18 4 years ago

She has risen! (Pretty much) After replacing a couple suspect connectors and the 1amp slo blo under the playfield (which tested fine at the beginning of this process but must’ve blown at some point mid-stream - thank you frunch for getting me to recheck it), it is back up and running.

The right pop is intermittent, which is odd. I’m crossing my fingers that rebuilding it will solve that problem. We’ll see.

Also, the first time I drop a four bank, I get an extra ball. That seems too easy. Glitch or default setting? I’ll have to read the manual more thoroughly.

Thank you all for the help!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Good work on repinning connectors. The "E" holes in the rectifier board are meant for the wires to be soldered in the hole for a more ridged connection.

Almost forgot to respond to this! I wondered if that’s how it is supposed to work. I’m guessing you’re supposed to lay them out like I did but tuck one and underneath through to the other side? I did it the way I did because in the heat of the newbie moment, I couldn’t see how feeding the wire through would allow the solder to fill that wide of a hole. Now it maybe makes more sense. If I have to do this again someday, I’ll try it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-mpu-200-woes?tu=pinheadpierre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.