(Topic ID: 262412)

Stern MPU-200 Troubleshooting - led locked on.

By RonniN

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RonniN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_RotateImage.gif
20200221_204350 (resized).jpg
20200221_204346 (resized).jpg
20200221_204341 (resized).jpg
20200221_204335 (resized).jpg
20200221_185040 (resized).jpg
IMGP9215 (resized).jpg
IMGP9214 (resized).jpg
IMGP9213 (resized).jpg
IMGP9212 (resized).jpg
IMGP9211 (resized).jpg
IMGP9209 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi new user here.

Im trying to get a abused Flight 2000 going, but without much luck, the MPU is causing me trouble and sleepless nights.

Machine was bought as a basket case, with no information on anything.

Been following the steps in the pinwiki guide for troubleshooting, but have yet to find the problem, board looks good, no battery acid damage, reset circuit seems to be working, clock circuit also, not sure about the vma circuit.

Unfortunately i dont have a spare 6800 or 6821 to try with, mpu is being powered by a atx power supply, but it does not change anything if mpu is installed in the machine, shorting pin 40 with pin 39 does not change anything either, led is still locked on.

Checked Q1, Q2 and Q5, no problems there.

Also verified the eproms with the files from ipdb.org, they also check out, jumpers on board is also set correctly, i did test U19 and U14 in my ic tester, they both test fine.

Once as in maybe 600 tries the LED does flicker and turns off, and will come right back then MPU is reset, but there is no consistency in it.

On U9 i get the following values:
Pin 40 = 5.20V (Reset)
Pin 2 = 4.89V (Halt)
Pin 5 = 2.85V (VMA) (Seems to be jumping between 2.89v, 3.20v, and over 5 volt, it changes on reset, not always but often) (Failure in the VMA circuit?)
Pin 3 = 2.39V / 842.5 kHz (Clock)
Pin 36 = 2.42V / 835.9 kHz (Clock)
Pin 37 = 2.42V / 836.1 kHz (Clock)

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Ronni

#2 4 years ago

try disconnecting the 2 ribbon cables for the soundboard on the top of the MPU

http://www.techdose.com/projects/Stern-Pinball-SB100-Sound-Board/346/page4.html

hope this works & can move on from there.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

try disconnecting the 2 ribbon cables for the soundboard on the top of the MPU
http://www.techdose.com/projects/Stern-Pinball-SB100-Sound-Board/346/page4.html
hope this works & can move on from there.

Thank you for the reply, i forgot to mention the board is on my workbench, nothing connected except 5v, 12v and ground, board is also stripped down to the bare minimum, game proms, and U9 and U11.

I did try an older Leon test eprom (2716) on the board, with U11 removed, but led on U9 pin 15 is also just solid, not sure if it works on a MPU-200 board ?

Regards
Ronni

#4 4 years ago

Have you confirmed if you are getting address and data line activity to the ROMs? Are the Chip Enable pins on the ROMs pulsing?

The 6800 reset vector table is held in the ROM at U6. It points to code starting in the ROM at U5. The board must be able to effectively access those two ROMs to begin the power on self test which first switches the MPU LED off then starts performing the ROM checksum test.

Can you post some clear high resolution pictures of the board front and back - preferably taken outdoors during daylight in the shade so your camera can achieve the best result?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RonniN:

I did try an older Leon test eprom (2716) on the board, with U11 removed, but led on U9 pin 15 is also just solid, not sure if it works on a MPU-200 board?

If you take U11 out, the Led will never turn off.... it's connected to U11!

Leave the 6800 in with nothing else, power it up, use a logic probe you should see address activity on all the address lines as the processor runs through its full address range, with each successive address line being 1/2 as fast as the previous.

If you get that, you know the processor is doing something and is probably ok. If it's not doing it, short pins 39 and 40 on the 6800 momentarily to force a reset, then see. If it works then, you have a reset circuit issue. If it's not working, I'd suspect socket for u9 or the processor itself, or something REALLY off with the reset circuit (repeating for some reason?)

Next put in U10, U11, and the leon test chip. The test chip should make the LED blink on and off (I forget if the test chip needs the 6810 ram, it might.... if it does put that in as well). You can also check all the outputs of the PIA chips u10 and u11 with your probe at this point, they should be pulsing.

If you get to this point, likely the board will boot if you put good eproms in. Make sure your eprom jumpers are correct.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Have you confirmed if you are getting address and data line activity to the ROMs? Are the Chip Enable pins on the ROMs pulsing?
The 6800 reset vector table is held in the ROM at U6. It points to code starting in the ROM at U5. The board must be able to effectively access those two ROMs to begin the power on self test which first switches the MPU LED off then starts performing the ROM checksum test.
Can you post some clear high resolution pictures of the board front and back - preferably taken outdoors during daylight in the shade so your camera can achieve the best result?

I don't have a logic probe unfortunately, i do have an oscilloscope, but its is acting a little bit weird sometimes, will see if i can check the chip enable pins.

Here is a few pictures of the board, let me know if they are useful.

IMGP9209 (resized).jpgIMGP9209 (resized).jpgIMGP9211 (resized).jpgIMGP9211 (resized).jpgIMGP9212 (resized).jpgIMGP9212 (resized).jpgIMGP9213 (resized).jpgIMGP9213 (resized).jpgIMGP9214 (resized).jpgIMGP9214 (resized).jpgIMGP9215 (resized).jpgIMGP9215 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If you take U11 out, the Led will never turn off.... it's connected to U11!
Leave the 6800 in with nothing else, power it up, use a logic probe you should see address activity on all the address lines as the processor runs through its full address range, with each successive address line being 1/2 as fast as the previous.
If you get that, you know the processor is doing something and is probably ok. If it's not doing it, short pins 39 and 40 on the 6800 momentarily to force a reset, then see. If it works then, you have a reset circuit issue. If it's not working, I'd suspect socket for u9 or the processor itself, or something REALLY off with the reset circuit (repeating for some reason?)
Next put in U10, U11, and the leon test chip. The test chip should make the LED blink on and off (I forget if the test chip needs the 6810 ram, it might.... if it does put that in as well). You can also check all the outputs of the PIA chips u10 and u11 with your probe at this point, they should be pulsing.
If you get to this point, likely the board will boot if you put good eproms in. Make sure your eprom jumpers are correct.

Should the Leon test eprom not run without U10/U11 installed in the board, i think it should, the led i was referring to was the led on pin 15 on the U9 chip, as according to this: https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Bally_Stern_CPU_Board_Repair

When forcing a reset on U9, voltage on pin 40 drops to 0.50v, and when reset is released it goes back up to a steady 5.2 volt, so it seems the reset circuit is working.

Here is a scope picture of pin 3 (Clock) It also looks okay, im begning to suspect the U9 being faulty.

Regards
Ronni
20200221_185040 (resized).jpg20200221_185040 (resized).jpg

#8 4 years ago

Yes, you can certainly check for pulsing on address pins using your scope. The LED thing you made is sort of a logic probe anyway just a little harder to use.

AMI branded chips fail more often than motorolas. so it may very well be the 6800. Do you have any others you can try?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes, you can certainly check for pulsing on address pins using your scope. The LED thing you made is sort of a logic probe anyway just a little harder to use.
AMI branded chips fail more often than motorolas. so it may very well be the 6800. Do you have any others you can try?

I got a new 6800 and a couple of 6821's on the way.

I must admit i had the scope for years, but never did learn to use it properly, not sure what i should see on the address pins.

When looking at https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Bally_Stern_CPU_Board_Repair it looks like the led on pin 15 of U9 should flash, without anything else than U6 in its socket.

#10 4 years ago

If it's a dual or quad trace scope you can get really fancy and actually see the differences on the address lines. Hook one channel up to A0 and the other channels to A1, A2, A3. A3 should be twice as slow as A2, which is twice as slow as A1, which is twice as slow as A0.

You'll just see pulsing on it, nothing special. If you see a flat signal.... well.... your 6800 is dead.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If it's a dual or quad trace scope you can get really fancy and actually see the differences on the address lines. Hook one channel up to A0 and the other channels to A1, A2, A3. A3 should be twice as slow as A2, which is twice as slow as A1, which is twice as slow as A0.
You'll just see pulsing on it, nothing special. If you see a flat signal.... well.... your 6800 is dead.

Its an dual trace, but only one channel is working, its been standing so long the switches needs a very good cleaning.

I am looking at the voltage on U9 pin 5(VMA) it should be 2.8 volt correct ? Mine is fluctuating between 3, 3.2 and sometimes 5 volt.

This is from U9, first picture is A0, then A1, A2, and A3, it does look like the 6800 is running.
20200221_204335 (resized).jpg20200221_204335 (resized).jpg20200221_204341 (resized).jpg20200221_204341 (resized).jpg20200221_204346 (resized).jpg20200221_204346 (resized).jpg20200221_204350 (resized).jpg20200221_204350 (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from RonniN:

I am looking at the voltage on U9 pin 5(VMA) it should be 2.8 volt correct ? Mine is fluctuating between 3, 3.2 and sometimes 5 volt.

The VMA (Valid Memory Address) signal goes to a high state when the CPU places a valid address onto the bus to access external devices (ROMs/RAMs/PIAs) etc. When the CPU is internally executing instructions, VMA will go low. In other words, the VMA signal will constantly have activity between high and low.
The 2.8 volt specification is a poor mans way of checking if the signal is active using a DC volt meter, i.e. sometimes the signal will be high (5 volts) sometimes it will be low (0 volts) so a DC volt meter will just give you an average that's somewhere in the middle. If the signal is stuck on high or low, that's when there's a problem with it.

Quoted from RonniN:

This is from U9, first picture is A0, then A1, A2, and A3, it does look like the 6800 is running.

Now what about at the ROM chips, do you see activity on all the ROM pins which are not connected to ground or 5 volts?
How about pin 34 on the CPU which is the R/W (Read/Write) signal? I had a faulty CPU (AMI) that couldn't drive the R/W signal.

Your board looks in very nice condition. As slochar mentioned, those AMI branded parts have a high failure rate so it's probably your first suspect.

BTW, can you rotate your pictures left 90 degrees, I'm getting a sore neck

Pinside_RotateImage.gifPinside_RotateImage.gif

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The VMA (Valid Memory Address) signal goes to a high state when the CPU places a valid address onto the bus to access external devices (ROMs/RAMs/PIAs) etc. When the CPU is internally executing instructions, VMA will go low. In other words, the VMA signal will constantly have activity between high and low.
The 2.8 volt specification is a poor mans way of checking if the signal is active using a DC volt meter, i.e. sometimes the signal will be high (5 volts) sometimes it will be low (0 volts) so a DC volt meter will just give you an average that's somewhere in the middle. If the signal is stuck on high or low, that's when there's a problem with it.

Now what about at the ROM chips, do you see activity on all the ROM pins which are not connected to ground or 5 volts?
How about pin 34 on the CPU which is the R/W (Read/Write) signal? I had a faulty CPU (AMI) that couldn't drive the R/W signal.
Your board looks in very nice condition. As slochar mentioned, those AMI branded parts have a high failure rate so it's probably your first suspect.
BTW, can you rotate your pictures left 90 degrees, I'm getting a sore neck

Sorry about the pictures, it should be better now.

Right now it seems like VMA is stuck high, and no activity on U9 pin 34, i think troubleshooting is pointless until i get a new 6800, and a couple of 6821.

Thank you very much for the help so far, i will get back to it when i get some parts in the mail, and i hope it will end with a working MPU.

Regards
Ronni

#14 4 years ago

Parts came in the mail, swapped U9 and U11, and are now getting a flicker, and two flashes, i am missing a 5101 chip at U13, so thats the problem there, guess those AMI chips are just not very good.

#15 4 years ago

And after me borrowing a few 5101 from another print, looks about right.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from RonniN:

And after me borrowing a few 5101 from another print, looks about right.

Great!
Temporarily connect a jumper wire from U12 pin 3 to U14 pin 7 and you should get the 7th LED flash on power up.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Great!
Temporarily connect a jumper wire from U12 pin 3 to U14 pin 7 and you should get the 7th LED flash on power up.

MPU is back in the machine, and i get all 7 flashes.

Now its time to source all the missing parts, guess it was a parts machine i got my hands on.

#18 4 years ago

I always wonder what the heck makes the AMI chips so unreliable, they must have a consistent design flaw to them as the failure rates is well beyound STM, Moto, and Hitachi.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I always wonder what the heck makes the AMI chips so unreliable, they must have a consistent design flaw to them as the failure rates is well beyound STM, Moto, and Hitachi.

I would hazard a guess that they passed more "marginal" wafer that the other makers rejected instead to save fabrication costs. If the chips worked for the 5 year design life, they probably considered that good enough.

#20 4 years ago

I would guess it's more to do with some specific materials AMI used in the fabrication of their parts that broke down for whatever reason, oxidization, internal current leaking, unexpected reaction between materials over long term use, etc.
It's happening in all their parts used on these boards, CPU, PIAs and RAM chips.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

It's happening in all their parts used on these boards, CPU, PIAs and RAM chips.

So you are saying i should order a new ram chip, since its the last part produced by AMI on the MPU.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from RonniN:

So you are saying i should order a new ram chip, since its the last part produced by AMI on the MPU.

The plastic packaging on your AMI CPU with the logo cutout and rectangular end cutout is typical of their parts that fail a lot, your original AMI 6810 and 6821 look like they came from a different fabrication plant with a generic plastic package - maybe those were licensed from someone else. I don't remember if I've come across those - not any that have failed anyway.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The plastic packaging on your AMI CPU with the logo cutout and rectangular end cutout is typical of their parts that fail a lot, your original AMI 6810 and 6821 look like they came from a different fabrication plant with a generic plastic package - maybe those were licensed from someone else. I don't remember if I've come across those - not any that have failed anyway.

I will leave it be as it is, and suspect it as the first if the MPU suddenly wont boot again.

Now its time for some spareparts hunting, gotta enjoy a machine with missing parts, and it should only be two displays...

Thank you for all the help, with the MPU now working im one step closer getting this Flight 2000 back into playable shape.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 125.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-mpu-200-troubleshooting-led-locked-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.