Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

media (8) (resized).jpg
    media (7) (resized).jpg
    media (6) (resized).jpg
    media (5) (resized).jpg
    media (4) (resized).jpg
    media (3) (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Is it possible to replace Sterns mpu-100 with mpu-200?

#2 5 years ago

Yes, but you need to change some jumpers.

#3 5 years ago

That's great news! It is on "Wild Fyre". Do you happen to know what changes that i need to make on the jumpers?

#4 5 years ago

Do you have the original MPU/roms? It'll also depend on the types of ROMs

#5 5 years ago

Yes. I have the original MPU complete with roms.

#6 5 years ago

Can you check what rom types are on the original MPU or what it's jumpered for? I'm guessing they're

Here are the MPU-200 rom jumpers: www.actionpinball.com/tech/stern_rom.php

Unless you see any weird long jumpers on your MPU-100 it probably has 2 9316s?

Besides from that you should cut E32-E33 and E34-E35 to go back to the slower MPU-100 clock speed and remove U13

#7 5 years ago

"D2716D" is what is on both U2 and U6.

#8 5 years ago

I just followed the link that you mentioned. Thank You very much! I am gonna give it a go. I'll follow up with the results. Again, Thank You!

#9 5 years ago

Ok, so here's where i'm at now. I just powered up the mpu-200 just to see if i am getting the correct number of led flashes. Using a power supply with plus 5 on tp#5, plus 12 on tp#2 and ground on tp#4 the red led comes straight on and stays on. Any direction as to what might be amiss? I have made no changes to the mpu as of yet. It has the original roms installed. (Ali)

#10 5 years ago

If the roms on the MPU 100 say D2716D then I'd assume they're 2716s and not 9316s, so you'll need to jumper the mpu-200 differently (or maybe not at all, since they often came configured for 2716s stock. However as far as I know MPU-100s can't handle 2716s without modifications. Can you post pictures of the front and back of the board to confirm?

If the led stays on though then that means you've got some issue with the mpu-200 as well. What's wrong with the mpu-100?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from TxDremz:

Ok, so here's where i'm at now. I just powered up the mpu-200 just to see if i am getting the correct number of led flashes. Using a power supply with plus 5 on tp#5, plus 12 on tp#2 and ground on tp#4 the red led comes straight on and stays on. Any direction as to what might be amiss? I have made no changes to the mpu as of yet. It has the original roms installed. (Ali)

The reset / "valid power detection" needs a linear power supply to reset the MPU properly. When using a switching power supply you often get a locked up board when you first power up. Try forcing the /RESET low briefly to see if it starts to boot up. Easiest way to do that on an original MPU boards is to bridge U9 P39 and P40 together with a flat blade screwdriver or whatever.

#12 5 years ago

The mpu-100 has some significant damage due to the battery leaking. I removed the battery and began the repair process. The acid damage is pretty bad at U8. Upon removing the U8 socket to replace it, it got worse! Pads lifting, traces lifting, etc. The mpu 200 that i have came out of an Ali pinball and looks really good. At some point it too had a leaking battery and has been replaced and is still holding a good charge. Visual inspection of the board does not reveal any obvious problems. It looks great. But the led is telling another story....I can post pictures. You are wanting to see the front and the back of the mpu100? Tell you what, I will post pictures of front and back of the 100 and the 200 as well.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The reset / "valid power detection" needs a linear power supply to reset the MPU properly. When using a switching power supply you often get a locked up board when you first power up. Try forcing the /RESET low briefly to see if it starts to boot up. Easiest way to do that on an original MPU boards is to bridge U9 P39 and P40 together with a flat blade screwdriver or whatever.

Good information. I will do that and see what happens.

#14 5 years ago

Bridging pins 39 and 40 done nothing. The led remained lit as if i had done nothing.

#15 5 years ago

mpu-100

media (3) (resized).jpgmedia (3) (resized).jpgmedia (4) (resized).jpgmedia (4) (resized).jpgmedia (5) (resized).jpgmedia (5) (resized).jpgmedia (6) (resized).jpgmedia (6) (resized).jpg
    #16 5 years ago

mpu-200

media (7) (resized).jpgmedia (7) (resized).jpgmedia (8) (resized).jpgmedia (8) (resized).jpg
    #17 5 years ago
    Quoted from TxDremz:

Bridging pins 39 and 40 done nothing. The led remained lit as if i had done nothing.

your mpu200 is locked up then too =/

#18 5 years ago

I'd just buy a new one from barakandl for $157

#19 5 years ago

The standard 2716 jumper settings on a MPU200 will not work with Wild Fyre ROMs.

To get MPU100 ROMs addressed properly you need to make these changes from the standard 2716 jumper settings:
    cut E7 from E5 and connect E5 to E4
    cut E14 from E13 and connect E13 to E15

You then have the problem of the extra RAM chip at U13. Most likely you'll need to remove U13 but from memory the Wild Fyre code probably doesn't mask that RAM range out properly.

At the end of the day since you're a working MPU board short you might as well buy one from @barakandl.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-mpu-100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.