5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled.jpg
    Stern decal.jpg
    Data East decal.jpg
    sterno.jpg
    4 24 2015c.jpg
    1429901408613.jpg
    IMG952015041795122731.jpg
    IMG952015041795122930.jpg
    stern_4.6.15_cement.jpg
    stern_4.6.15_front.jpg
    150753_10153264205664244_694791008781333464_n.jpg
    sternfactory1.jpg
    sternfactory2.jpg
    sternfactory3.jpg
    GARY_IN_ELK_GROVE_FACTORY.jpeg
    IMAG6299.jpg

There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

Just posted on their Facebook...

sternfactory.jpg
    #2 5 years ago

Never seemed like they were out of space. Lease up??

#3 5 years ago

"Relocating to larger facility." Pretty much sums it up...they want more space.

#4 5 years ago

I posted before the picture was there. I see it now.

#5 5 years ago

They are moving and shaking.

Bigger digs next year !

Pinball News covered it briefly when they hired a new person that will help over see it.

Exciting times for pinball.

LTG : )™

#6 5 years ago

If it helps them crank out games faster, more power to them.

#7 5 years ago

I like that they intentionally put "Relocating to a larger facility" on the Realty Sign. Otherwise rumors would have Pinside's server smoking.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I like that they intentionally put "Relocating to a larger facility" on the Realty Sign. Otherwise rumors would have Pinside's server smoking.

Even though we have been talking about this for a long long time.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

It can also help assure potential buyers that the building isn't dilapidated, and to give it a look.

#10 5 years ago

Now they can make a new production pin and a vault edition at the same time.

#11 5 years ago

I get that sometimes it's more advantageous to rent but I'm just curious as to why Stern hasn't simply purchased a building to manage their operations. In the long run wouldn't you see gains once the building is paid off? Or is leasing better for taxes?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I get that sometimes it's more advantageous to rent but I'm just curious as to why Stern hasn't simply purchased a building to manage their operations. In the long run wouldn't you see gains once the building is paid off? Or is leasing better for taxes?

You're better off leasing at a buck and quarter, buck and a half per square foot. Take the down payment and put it into CDs or something else you can roll over every couple of months.

#13 5 years ago

I'm bias but i'd be more stoked if Williams/Bally decided to get back into producing machines again !!
    Yeah i know, it's not going to happen

#14 5 years ago

more space = higher price on the next pins or it's the reason why the price on the last few pins went up.

#15 5 years ago

more space = greater production volume = better economy of scale

If they are pushing against the limits (in production volume) that their current location can manage, moving to a larger facility could very well allow them to lower the cost of production.

#16 5 years ago

Next Stern release is going to be Hercules 2. They need more room.

You heard it here folks!

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

They are moving and shaking.
    Bigger digs next year !
    Pinball News covered it briefly when they hired a new person that will help over see it.
    Exciting times for pinball.

It certainly is! For me, 2013 was a good year to get back into pinball and buy some really great Stern games after owning so many different WMS pins in the past. NIB number 3 (ST Pro) arriving today!

Rob

#18 5 years ago

They are putting the money they make to good use. Very comforting to see they are here to stay. (just not this location)

#19 5 years ago

so my guess is they are going from 40,000 sq feet to 60,000 ??

#21 5 years ago

I remember going to the WMS plant in '97. It was gigantic. It made Stern's current plant look like a closet. Anybody know the comparisons of the old WMS square footage to SPI's new plant?

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

I remember going to the WMS plant in '97. It was gigantic. It made Stern's current plant look like a closet. Anybody know the comparisons of the old WMS square footage to SPI's new plant?

WMS made more than Pinball machines.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from mattenno:

Just posted on their Facebook...

I just found the REAL sign!

286443-i.jpg
    #24 5 years ago

They're moving to elk grove village, which is bizarre because that's my hometown:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/2001+Lunt+Ave,+Elk+Grove+Village,+IL+60007/@42.001042,-87.953393,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x880fb115512ccfcd:0xccee0c074726091d
    stern_elk_grove_village.jpg

http://www.elkgrove.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=2311

(The Law Offices of Crane and Norcross, on be
    half of Prologis (Appl
    icant) is seeking a
    Cook County Class 6B property tax exemption
    for property located at 2001 Lunt Avenue.
    (The Applicant is in negotiations with Stern
    Pinball to lease the property which has been
    vacant since April of 2011. Stern is the world’s
    largest and oldest manufacturer of arcade
    quality pinball games.
    (Stern is currently located in Melrose Park
    at 2020 Janice where they currently employ
    between 75 to 80 full time jobs and approximately 100 to 175 part time jobs.
    (The company is expanding and intends on
    relocating its entire operation to 2001 Lunt
    Avenue including its corporate, engineer
    ing, design, marketing, sales, warehousing,
    assembly, and manufacturing functions.
    (Stern has looked at a number of locations
    for its expansion including Elk Grove Village,
    Bensenville, Des Plaines, Melrose Park, Schi
    ller Park, Northlake, Berkley, Chicago, and
    locations outside of Illinois.
    (The subject property consists of a fifty
    one year old approxim
    ately 118,278 square foot
    building. The Applicant has al
    lotted $889,913 to refurbish th
    e building and has already
    spent $27,546 on new signage and landscap
    ing for a total investment of $917,459.
    (Prologis has invested in the
    property to maintain it as an attractive and functional building
    including signage at $9,
    989 and landscaping at $17,557.
    (Prologis proposes additional improv
    ements including tuck pointing at
    $34,000, concrete and paving repairs to truck
    court at $265,820, new roof replacement at
    $111,118, upgrading of electric $32,945, silo/tower removal $57,030, exterior
    painting $44,000, and various tenant im
    provements of $345,000 for a total of $889,913.
    (A report from the Director of Busine
    ss Development and Marketing, recommending
    approval, is attached.)

#25 5 years ago

EGV is the home of many coin-op companies. Sega, Namco America, Bromley, Team Play, in addition to route operators such as Dandy and a few dealing in coin-op repair. They are now just a few blocks from my office, this is exciting.

#26 5 years ago

It will be interesting to see if they make any major improvements with the new production line. Manufacturer's don't get many opportunities to design a line from a clean sheet. This would support the change to a new electronics platform, LCD and lower assembly costs.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I posted before the picture was there. I see it now.

I have been in dozens of manufacturing facilities, and have never seen one as cramped as Sterns. This is great news for them.

#28 5 years ago

So they're basically tripling the size of their facility!
    That should mean that great things will continue to happen.
    Awesome.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from justfury:

EGV is the home of many coin-op companies. Sega, Namco America, Bromley, Team Play

Don't forget suzo-happ.

Some interesting things if you read the blotter in detail

"currently employ between 75 to 80 full time jobs and approximately 100 to 175 part time jobs"
    That likely means 75 office employees, 5 full time manufacturing team leader jobs, and 100-175 part time factory workers depending on demand for building pinball

"The Applicant is in negotiations with Stern Pinball to lease the property which has been vacant since April of 2011"
    So Stern is investing nearly a million dollars on a building they are only leasing? I suppose it might make more sense tax-wise, especially since the building owner is putting $889,913 into the pot for improvements. I just wonder what sort of agreement they have as far as rental agreement. It would suck if suddenly the landlord increased the rent later on. I would think if the building was abandoned for the last 3 years they would be willing to negotiate some terms.

#30 5 years ago

Great news... can someone install a spycam there

#31 5 years ago

This is fantastic!

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kevgascan:

Now they can make a new production pin and a vault edition at the same time.

......and don't forget about "The Pin" for the big box stores. Gary says it's a real pinball machine !

#34 5 years ago

Does this mean TWD will be built in the new facility? Or will TWD be the last game to be manufactured in the old facility?

#35 5 years ago

the data on the address shows a 106,000sf facility but thats still a ton more space than now.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

You're better off leasing at a buck and quarter, buck and a half per square foot. Take the down payment and put it into CDs or something else you can roll over every couple of months.
    » YouTube video

Back to school.. Rodney was a god!

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from OldPinster:

Does this mean TWD will be built in the new facility? Or will TWD be the last game to be manufactured in the old facility?

Since they haven't moved yet. No and no would be my guess.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

"The Applicant is in negotiations with Stern Pinball to lease the property which has been vacant since April of 2011"
    So Stern is investing nearly a million dollars on a building they are only leasing? I suppose it might make more sense tax-wise, especially since the building owner is putting $889,913 into the pot for improvements. I just wonder what sort of agreement they have as far as rental agreement. It would suck if suddenly the landlord increased the rent later on. I would think if the building was abandoned for the last 3 years they would be willing to negotiate some terms.

Stern is paying for all the improvements and is getting property tax incentives.

http://www.journal-topics.com/business/article_375daf52-28b0-11e4-9285-001a4bcf6878.html

If it is a lease, it's likely long term.

The good news is that they didn't mention the silo. Stern probably decided to keep it after we all protested here. Who says Stern doesn't listen to their customers?

#39 5 years ago

Planned improvements for the 50-year-old Lunt Avenue site submitted to the village include a total reinvestment in the property of $917,459 including $27,546 that has been spent already on landscaping and new signage. Planned improvements include truck court upgrades, a new roof, upgrading of electrical systems, removal of a SILO on the property, painting and other interior improvements.

Better re-read the end of your linked article.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I was talking about the article linked above, which is newer. I added the earlier article to point out that Stern is paying for all the improvements and is getting tax incentives.

And I was kidding about the silo. If you look at a satellite pic, the silo is obviously nothing they can use. It will definitely be removed.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

They're moving to elk grove village, which is bizarre because that's my hometown:

So make sure to tip the janitor. He will most likely have to remove your finger and nose prints from the windows every morning. LOL

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Planned improvements for the 50-year-old Lunt Avenue site submitted to the village include a total reinvestment in the property of $917,459 including $27,546 that has been spent already on landscaping and new signage. Planned improvements include truck court upgrades, a new roof, upgrading of electrical systems, removal of a SILO on the property, painting and other interior improvements.

$27,000 on signage and landscaping? Spending $900,000 on someone else's property?

I think they need a new property manager.

I humbly present my CV for consideration.

"Where's that new property manager? Playing pinball again? Lazy prick!"

Lol

rd.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

$27,000 on signage and landscaping? Spending $900,000 on someone else's property?

Might be part of the lease agreement.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I hope they really screwed them on the lease deal then. That's a lot of investment in someone else's property.

One of my tenants put $90,000 into my property and it was like Christmas came early.

rd.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's for sure part of the lease. The Lessor will recoup those costs and of course then some. Either a 5 or 7 yr lease with options to renew.

#46 5 years ago

Only sounds fitting as they must be planning forward for making (even) more PPS remakes in the future besides their own developed (and vault) Pinballs.

#47 5 years ago

Stern should move to either Texas or Florida.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from justfury:

EGV is the home of many coin-op companies. Sega, Namco America, Bromley, Team Play, in addition to route operators such as Dandy and a few dealing in coin-op repair. They are now just a few blocks from my office, this is exciting.

also not that far from Suzo-Happ just outside of Elk Grove Village, IL.

the American Amusement Machine Association is in Elk Grove Village, IL.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from OldPinster:

TWD is the last pin built in the old assembly building.

#50 5 years ago

Are they going to have the new place up and going before the end of the year? or more like it will be next year before they start makeing games at the new place?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 29.95
    $ 42.00
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 219.99
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Lit Frames
    $ 149.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside