4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Just posted on Stern FB page. "first ever in depth explanation video of our newest major pinball innovation: SPIKE!"

#2 4 years ago

freaking sweet

#3 4 years ago

Informative video. Stern should have had this out when they announced the SPIKE system.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Informative video. Stern should have had this out when they announced the SPIKE system.

better be late then never i would say captain.. they most have been busy with factory moving,assembling,developing,etc etc.. i will give them some slack!

nice video about Spike! awesome system

#5 4 years ago

Great info.
    I like the SD card game data.
    Note - All surface mount components.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from DutchTommy:

better be late then never i would say captain..

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Note - All surface mount components.

I guess this is the future. I'm inclined to think these won't get repaired, but rather replaced. If the main board, the coin door board or the solenoid/switch/lighting boards craps out, what are the replacement costs? I hate working on surface mount components.

It sure does remove a LOT of wiring...I can hear the announcements on the next Stern tour. "There are about 12 feet of wiring in a pinball machine!" Ohhhh.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I agree. This should have come out months ago.

#9 4 years ago

Nice. Thanks for posting.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I guess this is the future. I'm inclined to think these won't get repaired, but rather replaced. If the main board, the coin door board or the solenoid/switch/lighting boards craps out, what are the replacement costs? I hate working on surface mount components.
    It sure does remove a LOT of wiring...I can hear the announcements on the next Stern tour. "There are about 12 feet of wiring in a pinball machine!" Ohhhh.

I have yet to encounter a surface mount for repair, but have seen video's of it. they made it look pretty easy... guess I will need to get a junk board & try it out for fun.

#11 4 years ago

Connections are made with a RJ45 /network cable. My guess they use a RS485 interface. What protocol would they use?

#12 4 years ago

Stern certainly didn't have to make a video for us at all. This is very informative and well done. Thanks for posting it!

#13 4 years ago

great video and certainly catapulting pinballs into today's technology. Seeing as the playfield board have been standardised into 4,8 & 32 node boards perhaps this would simplify faultfinding due to easier substitution. Seeing as they mention automotive protection/control i would have thought the control protocol is CAN based as in today's cars.
    bob

#14 4 years ago

I'm impressed.

Stern has really "stepped up their game".

#15 4 years ago
    #16 4 years ago

this cut their cost in half. Will we see a cost benefit. No

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

this cut their cost in half. Will we see a cost benefit. No

I guess that R&D on this spike system costed stern a lot plus i saw an video an couple of weeks ago from the stern HQ with the whole assembly team gathered to cheer for gary his bday and hear out what the top guy had to say, dont you think that those people cost a fortune all together each month? Not to mention that all their resources and parts making cost them quite a lot too.. It seems like they are overpriced but im not really sure about that. When u take all costs aspects together, that being said i think stern is really thriving the last couple of years. And their latest Kiss is an absolute success for them, go stern go!

#18 4 years ago

I am only supposed to run 3 SAM games on each 20 amp circuit? Whoops.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 109.99
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 11.00
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside