(Topic ID: 81663)

Stern moves to plastic leg protectors…why futz with a great design?

By snaroff

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-501.jpg
IMG_2291.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Unpacking STLE #734 and noticed Stern's awesome metal leg protectors are now made of plastic. Should still work fine, but it's kind of lame. First thing you notice when removing the leg bolts is how easy they are to damage (the bolts were not screwed in very tight). On one hand I understand their tenacity for cost cutting, on the other hand, I wonder why they would spend time changing something that worked so well. Whatever.

IMG_2291.jpgIMG_2291.jpg

#2 10 years ago

My AC/DC Premium (Oct 2013) was the same. Disappointed, but ultimately, from Stern's point of view, it will do the same job for a fraction of the price.

#3 10 years ago

Some like these better because they will do less damage to the legs.

#4 10 years ago

People should probably find something real to complain about. How about complain about every other machine that has *no* leg protectors and give kudos to stern that has free built in ones? Geez. Unbelievable.

#5 10 years ago

I buy the metal ones from PinballLife. Well worth it for the added protection.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

#6 10 years ago

Interesting. My STLE has metal.

Ron...

#7 10 years ago

If cheaping out on this actually mattered I'd get being annoyed, but I can't see how it possibly affects the protection, and you never see them, so it's kinda hard to care.

#8 10 years ago

If I bought new Sterns, I would want the metal ones. Thanks for sharing with us snaroff.

#9 10 years ago

Have both. I prefer the plastic. The metal ones scratch the hell out of the inside of the legs and are sharp.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Have both. I prefer the plastic. The metal ones scratch the hell out of the inside of the legs and are sharp.

The inside of the legs aren't really a concern for me but to each his own.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Then why worry if the protectors are plastic or metal?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Just to be clear, I'm not worrying, and no one else should either. The post was simply a quick note while I was unboxing it…as my title said, "Why futz with a great design?" (when the metal protectors nailed the problem).

Assuming the plastic doesn't break, the new design will work just as well. Since most folks don't remove the legs very often, the likelihood of breakage isn't very high.

Quoted from markmon:

People should probably find something real to complain about. How about complain about every other machine that has *no* leg protectors and give kudos to stern that has free built in ones? Geez. Unbelievable.

What I find unbelievable is how you feel compelled to police every bloody post on Pinside. My $7,500 purchase is all the kudos Stern needs (along with the numerous other Stern pins I own). If I want to comment on a change to the pins fit-and-finish (no matter how trivial), I'm entitled. That's what the forum is for…like it or not. Unlike your post, mine at least has a modicum of pin related information.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just to be clear, I'm not worrying, and no one else should either. The post was simply a quick note while I was unboxing it…as my title said, "Why futz with a great design?" (when the metal protectors nailed the problem).
Assuming the plastic doesn't break, the new design will work just as well. Since most folks don't remove the legs very often, the likelihood of breakage isn't very high.

What I find unbelievable is how you feel compelled to police every bloody post on Pinside. My $7,500 purchase is all the kudos Stern needs (along with the numerous other Stern pins I own). If I want to comment on a change to the pins fit-and-finish (no matter how trivial), I'm entitled. That's what the forum is for…like it or not. Unlike your post, mine at least has a modicum of pin related information.

Hope you didn't think I was responding to you snaroff. I was responding to this:

Quoted from TomGWI:

I was only stating my findings and preference after having dealt with both styles. I didn't like how the metal ones scratched up the insides on powder coated legs, thereby exposing the bare metal. Frankly, I found the "....but to each his own" comment somewhat smarmy and counterproductive to this conversation.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Hope you didn't think I was responding to you snaroff. I was responding to this:

I was only stating my findings and preference after having dealt with both styles. I didn't like how the metal ones scratched up the insides on powder coated legs, thereby exposing the bare metal. Frankly, I found the "....but to each his own" comment somewhat smarmy and counterproductive to this conversation.

I see. Yeah, I never noticed any damage to my legs, but I can't say I ever look closely at the inside. I guess it makes sense that the metal might do this. There ya go, a benefit I didn't think of

Maybe one of the reasons this caught my eye was I just bought a bunch of the metal protectors from Terry @ Pinballlife and installed them on many of my pins that previously had the large plastic protectors. Was so happy with the result (and Stern's contribution to the solution), that it surprised me to mess with a good thing. That's all. No big deal, no drama

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Thin piece of plastic will warp. All the pressure of the leg is at that point. In HUO environment, probably be okay. Out on route, with players pushing, bumping cabinet, could break the plastic.

Quoted from rs812:

Frankly, I found the "....but to each his own" comment somewhat smarmy and counterproductive to this conversation.

Sorry about that but I just feel the inside of the legs are not seen. I would worry more about the decals tearing around the legs (yep I've had it happen to me in HUO setting on TF) then the inside of the legs wish can't be seen.

Also don't you think the projections from this plastic protector would do damage to the legs (not a smart ass comment, just my observation and opinion).

image-501.jpgimage-501.jpg
#16 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I buy the metal ones from PinballLife. Well worth it for the added protection.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

Do you put the screw into the cab or just put the protector in loose?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Do you put the screw into the cab or just put the protector in loose?

There are very tiny screws for them that screw into the cab. The plastic ones Stern puts on now also have these small screws.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Also don't you think the projections from this plastic protector would do damage to the legs (not a smart ass comment, just my observation and opinion).

Probably not. It's likely not hard enough plastic to damage it like that by what it looks like.

I've installed the metal protectors on two games...a LOTR and my Jackbot. Love em. I'll keep buying them and putting them on games that have decals that aren't jacked up already. I just hope with Stern moving to plastic that the metal ones are still going to be available from Terry. I do tend to move my games around a good bit....take them to TPF, have taken them to local parties and tournaments, rearrange the house, and nudge like no tomorrow. Completely understand about the metal on powdercoated legs though.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Probably not. It's likely not hard enough plastic to damage it like that by what it looks like.
I've installed the metal protectors on two games...a LOTR and my Jackbot. Love em. I'll keep buying them and putting them on games that have decals that aren't jacked up already. I just hope with Stern moving to plastic that the metal ones are still going to be available from Terry. I do tend to move my games around a good bit....take them to TPF, have taken them to local parties and tournaments, rearrange the house, and nudge like no tomorrow. Completely understand about the metal on powdercoated legs though.

I think the roughened plastic, like the one in the ops picture, would act like sandpaper to the inside of a powdercoated leg.
I think the metal On the PC could do damage as well. I know the leg bolts can strip the outside of the PC where it attaches to and it is a very good point. My big concern is the decal.

#20 10 years ago

The metal for sure, but I'm betting the plastic on these isn't any harder than than the nylon protectors PBL sells to go in between the bolt and the leg, and they don't scratch up powdercoat when they're torqued into the hole..

#21 10 years ago

I liked the metal and now like the plastic just the same. I just took delivery of a BDK with no leg wear, first thing I did was put a set of these on
http://pinballpro.net/shop/leg-cabinet-protectors/

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I liked the metal and now like the plastic just the same. I just took delivery of a BDK with no leg wear, first thing I did was put a set of these on
http://pinballpro.net/shop/leg-cabinet-protectors/

Wonder why the metal ones are $5 less

#23 10 years ago

I prefer the plastic ones and am glad they are on my STLE and ACDC Premium. The metal will damage the powder coated legs and also if they are even slightly misaligned they will damage the threads on the leg bolts. I have seen both of these effects first hand. If this is a cost cutting move from Stern's perspective, I see it as a win/win. I will be looking to buy plastic when I restore cabinets in the future...

Great to see you came around and got an STLE Steve. It is a great game.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Wonder why the metal ones are $5 less

Cool! Glad they are selling the plastic now. I'll be buying some of those!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

if they are even slightly misaligned they will damage the threads on the leg bolts

Ew...okay..I'm sold. I usually install them by putting the bolts through them and locking them down, THEN drilling the hole and screwing them in so I don't think it would be a problem for me, but yeargh... that's no fun.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Great to see you came around and got an STLE Steve. It is a great game.

It's a gorgeous pin and build quality looks great so far. The audio also sounds great…don't know what they tweaked, but I don't feel the need to upgrade the speakers (like I did for AC/DC and MET). Haven't had much time to play it yet, but seems like a nice shooting pin. Need to become more familiar with the rules...

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The audio also sounds great

You should throw a PSW10 subwoofer under the thing next time they are on sale. You'll LOVE it!

#28 10 years ago

The new plastic protectors seem so thin that I feel the leg can still hit the cabinet with a hard nudge. The plastic protectors that came on my Metallica machine were attached crooked so that when I put the legs on one of them cracked (my bad, but still....).
I changed them out to the metal protectors and then put the felt protectors between the metal ones and the legs. Overkill perhaps, but a permanent solution.
Scott

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

The new plastic protectors seem so thin that I feel the leg can still hit the cabinet with a hard nudge. The plastic protectors that came on my Metallica machine were attached crooked so that when I put the legs on one of them cracked (my bad, but still....).
I changed them out to the metal protectors and then put the felt protectors between the metal ones and the legs. Overkill perhaps, but a permanent solution.
Scott

Sounds like a fine solution. This is similar to my MB solution…after fixing my leg crinkle, I installed the metal Stern protectors and layered the plastic PinGuard protectors on top to cover some damage. Looks good and future proofed.

Thanks for confirming my concern about the plastic cracking.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Some like these better because they will do less damage to the legs.

When I set up Luci, I had a spare set of metal spacers handy, put them under the plastic spacers=double spacers, even put the nylon washers on for the leg bolts.

The TRON I bought spring of last year had the plastic spacers, they have been doing this for awhile now.

#31 10 years ago

I was a bit surprised to see plastic protectors when I unboxed my STLE the other day. I wasn't aware that Stern had switched. It's not that big of a deal, but metal seems like a more robust material for an area of the machine that experiences such a large amount of stress. I'm somewhat befuddled by the complaint that the metal ones can scratch the insides of the legs. Why would anyone care what the insides of the legs look like?

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Why would anyone care what the insides of the legs look like?

Once it scratches through the powder it can start rusting.

edit---I should say "if" it scratches....

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

edit---I should say "if" it scratches....

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure it also makes the edges of where the powder is damaged more prone to chipping away when it takes additional impacts. For people that take legs off to move games around it could eventually wear to the point where it might be exposed on a visible edge of a leg.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

16,500 (Firm)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-moves-to-plastic-leg-protectors%e2%80%a6why-futz-with-a-great-design and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.