Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Wolfanoz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dont-fear-the-reaper-agents-of-fortune-blue-oyster-cult (resized).jpg
    Willard_1971_(resized).jpg
    Ben_poster_(resized).jpg
    2755_(resized).jpg
    evildeadtrilogy_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_9049_1000000_(resized).jpg
    Kaneda_large_8728_(resized).jpg
    12louk_(resized).jpg
    2016-07-19-14-11-38--1465309953_(resized).jpg
    2016-07-19-14-11-33--1767790573_(resized).jpg
    rrpin_(resized).jpg
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Stern has cranked a number of late 70's to 80's themed titles out recently, and it seems like we might see a few more still -- which makes sense considering the pinball demographics (although I think they're def. drifting younger) and who's got $$ to drop on these machines.

I'm wondering if we'll see some of the missed title opportunities of the late 90's and the 2000's come up in ten to fifteen years, assuming (knock on wood) that Stern is still in the business and people are still playing pinball

I've seen these mentioned before in other threads, but I'll throw a couple out there to start:

#1: Harry Potter. Missed the boat, but man this was popular and I could really see it coming out. Maybe they will find a way to reboot it in 10 years with another movie and they'll time the pin release with it. I didn't read the books, but from what I know there's enough here to make an awesome pin that I think would have quite a bit of appeal. 10 to 15 years would put a lot of the people that read this when they were kids in an age range where they could afford a pin.

#2 Lego theme. This would be awesome for kids, I could see it going into a lot of personal collections.. probably a lot less so in the routing scene. Lego has cashed in with so many other IP.. I bet they would be interested in a pinball, so Stern might just get $$ from them rather than having to pay Lego for the license?

#3 Breaking Bad. Probably won't happen.. boat sailed and maybe too much drug references but man it would have been awesome!

#4 Some aweful pop TV theme -- Dancing with the stars, Survivor, or american idol come to mind. Hopefully it doesn't happen.. actually I could see Survivor being interesting possibly.

what else?

#2 7 years ago

World War 2 themed axis vs allies.
    Scooby doo
    Dukes of Hazard
    Vikings

#3 7 years ago

Cheers
    Goonies
    Legend of Zelda
    Seinfeld
    ET
    The Exorcist
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

#4 7 years ago
    #5 7 years ago

The LEGO would be a hit for sure. Not my cup of tea, but in addition to the kids, they have a huge adult base that grows every day. My guess is the licensing would be very cost prohibitive....

#6 7 years ago

I could really see a Harry Potter pin coming out of the Jersey Jack factory. Their model really seems to appeal to this license. And talk about a wizard mode/wizard modes! Maybe accumulating into the mecha-wizard mode (or Warlock Mode.)

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

I could really see a Harry Potter pin coming out of the Jersey Jack factory. Their model really seems to appeal to this license. And talk about a wizard mode/wizard modes! Maybe accumulating into the mecha-wizard mode (or Warlock Mode.)

This would be awesome to see.. hope it happens!

Quoted from Manimal:

The LEGO would be a hit for sure. Not my cup of tea, but in addition to the kids, they have a huge adult base that grows every day. My guess is the licensing would be very cost prohibitive....

I feel like Lego should pay Stern for this rather than the other way 'round.. it's like the PBR game. Do you think Stern approached PBR and paid them money to advertise their product or that PBR approached and paid Stern or entered some kind of no-money exchanged deal? I wonder.. but I have no idea how these things actually work.

Quoted from westofrome:

Cheers
    Goonies
    Legend of Zelda
    Seinfeld
    ET
    The Exorcist
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

ohhhh. seinfield yes that would such a fun one and again, so much material and it's timeless!
    Zelda has a pretty big fan base as well -- I could see that one coming sooner.. maybe they will make a movie of it and co-release?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I feel like Lego should pay Stern for this rather than the other way 'round.. it's like the PBR game. Do you think Stern approached PBR and paid them money to advertise their product or that PBR approached and paid Stern or entered some kind of no-money exchanged deal? I wonder.. but I have no idea how these things actually work.

Depends on who is selling the game. In the case of the can crusher, PBT is selling the game, so they are making the bulk of the profit, or at least using it as a marketing too to drive sales, so I doubt there is any licensing fee to Stern. But if Stern wants to cash in on the LEGO name, then they pay licensing fees.

#9 7 years ago

Nightmare Before Christmas
    The Incredibles
    The Matrix

#10 7 years ago

Michael Jackson's Thriller
    E.T.
    Blade Runner
    The Princess Bride
    Top Gun
    Die Hard
    The Thing

#11 7 years ago

Pulp Fiction

Kill Bill's

Redo of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

LOST

And please for the love of everything holy in Pinball a redo of South park

#12 7 years ago

Better Off Dead

#13 7 years ago

Anyone else really wanting a non licensed game? Think about some of the all time classics that were original games:

Theatre of Magic
    Circus Voltaire
    White Water
    Medieval Madness
    Fish Tales
    Road Show
    Funhouse
    High Speed
    Xenon
    Hercules

Just to name a few. I think the creativity of pinball could really be revived here. And I know why Stern, JJ, and other companies are using licensed games, a licensed theme really appeals to a lot of people. But if they were to make a really great non licensed game I think that would be amazing for pinball. And if it flops, well so be it. WWE from Stern was a pretty big flop, maybe sales from the other games can help lessen the blow. But I think it's worth a shot.

#14 7 years ago

Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Anyone else really wanting a non licensed game? Think about some of the all time classics that were original games:
    Theatre of Magic
    Circus Voltaire
    White Water
    Medieval Madness
    Fish Tales
    Road Show
    Funhouse
    High Speed
    Xenon
    Hercules
    Just to name a few. I think the creativity of pinball could really be revived here. And I know why Stern, JJ, and other companies are using licensed games, a licensed theme really appeals to a lot of people. But if they were to make a really great non licensed game I think that would be amazing for pinball. And if it flops, well so be it. WWE from Stern was a pretty big flop, maybe sales from the other games can help lessen the blow. But I think it's worth a shot.

Absolutely -- I would LOVE to see a non-licensed game but just such a big risk now-a days I think. I've found it hard to come up with non-license themes that haven't kind of already been hit on though that would also have some kind of universal appeal. Any ideas?

Quoted from Tazmancat:

Nightmare Before Christmas
    The Incredibles
    The Matrix

Yep. Of course Matrix has been done, although there's only what, 3 of them in existence? And Nightmare is an independent project right now but it's pretty far along and looks amazing. It would be awesome to see some of these independent projects got bought and brought onto a production line.. Stern could potentially save a lot of money in the development/design phase.

#17 7 years ago

Seinfeld would be awesome!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Seinfeld would be awesome!

Puffy Shirt bash toy

Collect all the girlfriends (ala Lyman's Lament in Monster Bash) http://fusion.net/story/155370/heres-what-happened-to-every-single-woman-jerry-dated-on-seinfeld/

Big Salad multiball

Lost in the Parking Garage Video Mode

Master of Your Domain Wizard Mode

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

#1: Harry Potter. Missed the boat, but man this was popular and I could really see it coming out. Maybe they will find a way to reboot it in 10 years with another movie and they'll time the pin release with it. I didn't read the books, but from what I know there's enough here to make an awesome pin that I think would have quite a bit of appeal. 10 to 15 years would put a lot of the people that read this when they were kids in an age range where they could afford a pin.

I hope they eventually make one. Apparently though from what I heard, J.K. Rowling has claimed pinball to be "seedy". So I guess she's still in the "pinball is gambling" mentality and thus doesn't want Harry Potter to be associated with pinball? If so then that's quite a shame -- it's a great license with so much stuff to do. Kinda has a LOTR vibe to it.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Puffy Shirt bash toy
    Collect all the girlfriends (ala Lyman's Lament in Monster Bash) http://fusion.net/story/155370/heres-what-happened-to-every-single-woman-jerry-dated-on-seinfeld/
    Big Salad multiball
    Lost in the Parking Garage Video Mode
    Master of Your Domain Wizard Mode

A pinball machine about pinball machines...

2016-07-19-14-11-33--1767790573_(resized).jpg2016-07-19-14-11-33--1767790573_(resized).jpg

2016-07-19-14-11-38--1465309953_(resized).jpg2016-07-19-14-11-38--1465309953_(resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Scooby doo
    Dukes of Hazard
    Vikings

Hoping for a scooby one at some point actually think this might be better for jjp

#22 7 years ago

SOUTHPARK, time to re-do

#23 7 years ago

Mad Max / Road Warrior / Fury Road
    Repo Man

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

SOUTHPARK, time to re-do

What wrong with the first one?

#25 7 years ago

Titanic.

The boat could crack in half during "Iceberg Multiball" (patent pending) and sink into the playfield. With Celine Dion playing in the background, all of the wives and girlfriends would approve the expenditure (and we could just update the sound roms, as I would want to sink in the ocean after 5 minutes of listening to that).

#26 7 years ago

The thing with Lego is they are like Stern where they are usually acquiring other licenses not lending their own out. Lego like Stern is usually the one using other licenses for their products like Marvel, DC, Star Wars etc.

We tried throwing our son a Lego birthday party at the height of the Lego movie craze. It was impossible to find actual Lego licensed party products. We ended up making most of the decorations and finding generic "building block" decorations.

#27 7 years ago

Remake of Nightmare on Elm Street! That Gottlieb version needs to be forgotten.....

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

We tried throwing our son a Lego birthday party at the height of the Lego movie craze. It was impossible to find actual Lego licensed party products. We ended up making most of the decorations and finding generic "building block" decorations.

That's pretty crazy considering they could just kill it with product merchandising... What kid *doesn't* want a lego theme party?!? Lego bedspread? Lego wallpaper?!

#29 7 years ago

One of the major titles that stands out to me that no one mentioned yet is "Back to the Future" should be given the same Data East to Stern upgrade i.e. what they did for The Simpsons.

Honorable mentions one of which my personal wish list: JAWS.

E.T.
    Goonies
    Princess Bride
    Labyrinth
    Space Balls
    Gremlins

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Titanic.
    The boat could crack in half during "Iceberg Multiball" (patent pending) and sink into the playfield. With Celine Dion playing in the background, all of the wives and girlfriends would approve the expenditure (and we could just update the sound roms, as I would want to sink in the ocean after 5 minutes of listening to that).

As the female/wife in your scenario, I can state unequivocally that my head will explode if I hear Celine Dion sing "My Heart Will Go On" one more time. Yes, she has a great voice, and even though I loathe her I can be objective enough to say that - but please make her go away! I like your idea of the boat cracking in half, but if she's part of the package, NO SALE!

#31 7 years ago

Based on how people have responded to it: Pokemon

#32 7 years ago

12louk_(resized).jpg12louk_(resized).jpgKaneda_large_8728_(resized).jpgKaneda_large_8728_(resized).jpgScreenshot_9049_1000000_(resized).jpgScreenshot_9049_1000000_(resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago

Goonies would sell.

#34 7 years ago

Scooby Doo
    Gremlins
    Goonies
    Toy Story
    Dragon's Lair
    Bill and Ted
    I'll take another Back to the Future too

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Mad Max / Road Warrior / Fury Road
    Repo Man

Gawd yes!

#36 7 years ago

Jaws
    Rocky
    Rambo
    Die hard
    Seinfeld
    Bad Boys

think those are really missing. Obvious choices there for the taking. Would still work.

Some less obvious titles of 'the old', but i think they can be great pin themes.

Ben Hur
    Jewel of the nile & romancing the stone
    Scooby doo
    Knightrider
    The good, the bad and the ugly
    Dune

#38 7 years ago

A Dune pin based on the 80's movie would probably look cool, but Dune so badly needs a theatrical re-do. Too much to cram into 1 movie.

And yeah South Park totally deserves another pin. So much more material to work from now. They could probably do 3 new pins.

#39 7 years ago

Minecraft would most likely be pretty popular. My kids are obsessed with the game as are most of their friends.

#40 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#41 7 years ago

Grand theft auto -- great serious theme with lots of material. Probably other good computer or console games that might translate?

#42 7 years ago

GTA would be fun just for all the satire and comedy in it (all the shock jocks, fake ads, etc...). We haven't had a good, funny pin in ages. Please, Stern, hire a writing team.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

This would have been a really cool theme.

#44 7 years ago

Buffy the vamp slayer (yes i know theres a homebrew)
    Ducktales
    In living color
    Home improvement
    Inspector gadget
    Rescue rangers

Wait maybe the 90s kinda sucked...

#45 7 years ago

Re make Teenage mutant ninja turtles an South Park, great themes that seem to have lasted the time because still popular today, but the actual pinball games need to be updated with what's going on today, toys, rules , art etc..

#46 7 years ago

Harry Potter is a great choice, but we all know the primary doesn't want a pinball game.

Guardians of the Galaxy - probably in the works.
    Jaws - I would prefer a hand drawn version.
    Half Life (lots if us Valve nerds out there).
    Multiple music Therese (no need to argue here about specific choice)

We're pretty lucky. Ghostbusters, Alien and probably original Star Wars are all in the works.

#47 7 years ago

A new Simpsons with more / better cartoon animations would be great. South Park too.

#48 7 years ago

lot of things you could do with "the munsters"

#49 7 years ago

Bevis & Butthead!

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Buffy the vamp slayer (yes i know theres a homebrew)
    Ducktales
    In living color
    Home improvement
    Inspector gadget
    Rescue rangers
    Wait maybe the 90s kinda sucked...

Ducktales could be good not seeing it in Stern's cards though

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-missed-theme-opportunities-well-see-in-the-future/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.