Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

788BE918-3A1E-4B61-9540-0803E6A68CE3 (resized).jpeg
912ABF2B-B4C5-4009-B0EB-7C0286F40D1A (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Looking for some assistance from the pinball community regarding a microswitch I need to replace on my Led Zeppelin Pro.

When I start the game the left eject solenoid fires repeatedly for a short time then stops. The left eject switch is not registering in switch test. I am getting an Operator alert saying Left Eject Device Malfunction.

The game has roughly 800 plays and this is my first issue. Looks like I’m gonna need to install a new microswitch.
I have included a couple pics of the current microswitch. I haven’t replaced one of these before. Is it an easy job? I don’t see a diode on the miniswitch but rather two metal posts where it connects to two wires (with what looks like a thin rubber coating. I’m not sure if soldering is needed to connect a new one to the two wires or if the connect differently.

Basically, what is the best way to remove the old microswitch from the two wires and replace the new one.

I thank you for your expertise in advance.

788BE918-3A1E-4B61-9540-0803E6A68CE3 (resized).jpeg788BE918-3A1E-4B61-9540-0803E6A68CE3 (resized).jpeg912ABF2B-B4C5-4009-B0EB-7C0286F40D1A (resized).jpeg912ABF2B-B4C5-4009-B0EB-7C0286F40D1A (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

Does the switch still click when you actuate the metal arm? It might just be out of adjustment as these types of switches don't usually go bad after 800 plays. They tend to be rated for millions of closures.

In any case if you want to replace it, just buy a new one of the same type. From the picture it looks like the actuator arm is built into the switch so it is important to get the same switch. The part number will be in the manual.

Once you have the new switch, unsolder each wire one at a time and transfer to the new switch - resoldering to the same terminal you unsoldered from on the old switch. If you can slide off the heat shrink, you can unsolder the wires without cutting/making them shorter.

#3 2 years ago

Contact Stern. They should send you a replacement for free.

#4 2 years ago

Make sure that the switch is indeed bad by shorting the two wired lugs together and verify it still doesn't register.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Does the switch still click when you actuate the metal arm? It might just be out of adjustment as these types of switches don't usually go bad after 800 plays. They tend to be rated for millions of closures.
In any case if you want to replace it, just buy a new one of the same type. From the picture it looks like the actuator arm is built into the switch so it is important to get the same switch. The part number will be in the manual.
Once you have the new switch, unsolder each wire one at a time and transfer to the new switch - resoldering to the same terminal you unsoldered from on the old switch. If you can slide off the heat shrink, you can unsolder the wires without cutting/making them shorter.

Thanks for reaching out. When you say out of adjustment for the switch, what do you mean? When I press the metal arm, I’m hearing it click, but it isn’t registering in the switch test. Are you referring to an adjustment inside the switch?

When I boot up the game, the left eject fires repeatedly until it stops and I get the “Left Eject Device Malfunction” message. Upon starting play, even though the left eject hasn’t had any balls hit into it, the game is acting like I have (ie. starting tours, collecting extra balls etc.). Sporadically during gameplay the left eject solenoid will fire repeatedly until it stops and I get the same left eject device malfunction message.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 65.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-microswitch-replacement-assistance- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.