• Latest reply 7 years ago by pindude80
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BR_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello All,

I just tried to turn my Meteor on after replacing the upper flipper coil. As soon as I flipped the on/off switch it blew the F6 fuse on the power driver board which is for the incoming line voltage. Could it be possible that my old flipper coil went bad because of something and that is causing the F6 fuse to blow? I don't want to ruin my new coil.

I'm not much of a tech, does anyone know what I should look at?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

It's also probably worth mentioning that before I replaced the upper coil the game would blow the flipper fuse. I think it did this once I hit a flipper button or started a game, but I'm pretty sure it did not blow the flipper fuse when I would first turned the game on.

#4 7 years ago

I just inspected the power cord, it looks good, no breaks or anything in the cord itself. Looked at the filter everything looks good on it. Plugged the game in and plugged a light into the service outlet and it lites up. Also did a visual inspection on the on/off switch, nothing out of the ordinary on it.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Did you follow the suggestions I posted above? The idea is to try to isolate where the problem might be--within the cabinet, boards, or playfield.

I just did something very similar. I disconnected the three connectors on the bridge rectifier board and turned the game on, no fuses blew. I then added the bottom connector, no fuses blew, I then added the top right (when looking at the board) and it instantly blew F4. I left the blown F4 fuse in it then added the last connector, it blew F6. I then added new F4 and F6 fuses, powered it up, instantly blew F6, I thought it blew F4 because the fuse looked like the wire element "bent" a little when I powered it up, but pulled it out, checked with DMM and it shows continuity.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Be sure to check for solder drippings on the playfield and in the cabinet to make sure nothing is shorting out.

I didn't have to use the soldering iron today when changing the coil because someone wire nutted all of the coil wires last time they changed the coil out. So if there is any solder it was there before all this started happening, so I pretty much rule out solder splatters at this point.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Did you follow the suggestions I posted above? The idea is to try to isolate where the problem might be--within the cabinet, boards, or playfield.

Could it be anything on the playfield since a game was never started?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

In the cabinet you have the knocker and the bridge rectifier on the rectifier board, either could be bad. You'll need to use an ohm meter and measure across the knocker coil and the lugs of the bridge. If you read a dead short on either one it's bad.

Is there more than one bridge on the board and if so which one do I need to test? Thanks!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yes, there are 3 bridges. BR3 is the bridge protected by F4.

Thanks, I'll check it out and report back. If this bridge would be bad could it also be causing the F6 fuse to blow?

#15 7 years ago

I went to test BR3. The only bridge testing I'm familiar with is on WPC power driver board with the bridge having an offset leg. I looked at the bridges on this board and didn't see an offset leg, but saw a + and -. Are these the DC legs? if so I tested it correctly using the test method in pinwiki for testing the small bridge rectifiers on a dmd control board on WPC games (section 4.22.7) Three of the readings were in the .36 range, one didn't give a reading, I'm assuming a short. I tested the other bridges and they were all reading in the .55 range, except for one on BR1, probably should replace that one also while board is out. Can anyone tell me if I performed the test correctly?

I also noticed there was a slo-blow 5amp in F4, I replaced it with a fast blow and turned the game on, it instantly blew the F4, but not the F6 this time. I'm guessing the slo-blo 5A in F4 was like being over fused and possibly caused F6 to blow, hopefully/maybe?

#16 7 years ago

I also did a continuity test on the knocker coil and it tested okay

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Use the diode setting to test the bridges so that if you have a short you will get a continuous tone instead of a beep. The bridges are the same as WPC, just smaller and different mounting. I don't know what you mean by 'one didn't give a reading' unless you mean your meter read 0, then yes that's a short.

Yes it read 0. Here's a picture of the bridge, are the + and - that I circled in red the DC legs? The + is pretty hard to see, but it's at the upper left location.

BR_(resized).JPGBR_(resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Ok, I will check all the coils. The upper flipper did quit working right before this happened so hopefully that was the cause; I just replaced the coil last weekend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-metor-blowing-f6-fuse-120v-incoming-line-fuse?tu=pindude80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.