• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinballlizard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
#1 4 years ago

I have a Stern Meteor that has been working fine until recently. A few weeks ago, I removed the soldered on battery from the MPU and connected a remote battery pack. A few games later, I noticed the sounds were distorted. Shortly after that, the game just wouldn't boot, even though I still got 7 flashes on the MPU.

Usually, when I experience a problem with an early solid state machine, I turn to RGP first. Fortunately for me, Andrew (barakandl) had written about the exact same problem over 3 years ago on RGP. And, to Andrew's credit, he was kind enough to post how he fixed the problem. I followed his lead and replaced both of the 5101 ICs and it fixed my problem. My Meteor is running great again.

I wanted to give Andrew a public thanks for posting his problems on RGP and for taking the time to post his fix. It certainly made the difference in this case!

#2 4 years ago

Incorrect spinner sound is a dead giveaway for bad or mismatched 5101s in Meteor. Glad you found your problem.

#3 4 years ago

like he said bad ram. I had about 6 get damaged and do just what you are saying because of a bad connector causing power issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside