• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
#1 8 years ago

I run a Meteor on location, and just finished a couple flipper repairs on it. A day later, I'm working on the game next to it and I notice a few new issues.

First of all, I'm missing the last beep in the startup sequence, but the game will still start.

Then the credit switches were not adding credits, even though the switches worked in test.

Then I press the start button with zero credits and it adds 99 credits and starts a game! This is new. I am not using free play roms. I am using /10 roms though.

I noticed that it was displaying the high score to date as "6 6 6" . It was also displaying those 6s in some of the audits.

Also, the sound is acting very strange. The spinner makes no sound at all, and the bumpers are making sounds I've never even heard on this game, along with some other weirdness. Also adding a credit or starting a game plays a startup tone along with the usual sounds.

I cleared the audits with the weird numbers, started it back up, and now it will accept credits and start games properly... ok..

Of course this didn't solve the sound issue. I know these problems would probably usually be diagnosed as the symptoms of more than one thing, but I just thought it odd that they both came up simultaneously..

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I hit some issues with my Meteor when it first arrived last week. Sound was off and it was showing odd digits during boot up. There was an Alltek MPU installed, so I cleared the memory (using the switches on the MPU) and then reset the MPU for Meteor. Cleared everything up. Manual for Alltek says sometimes you have to do this. Obviously this only helps you if you have an Alltek, but it sounded pretty close to what I was seeing so figured it was worth mentioning.

#3 8 years ago

Check the 5101s and make sure you have a matched pair of high speed chips.

2 weeks later
#4 8 years ago

So I ordered 2 "5101 CMOS RAM IC" chips from Action Amusements. Installed them and the game wouldn't even boot. Ok, so wrong chips I guess.

Reinstalled the old chips and now it works perfectly. Thoughts?

#5 8 years ago

You got bad chips from action amusement, the chips got static zapped, or they are not rated fast enough to work in a MPU-200 (need 450ns or better). The 5101s are insanely static sensitive. What is the imprint marking on your 5101?

I sell test good PCD5101P (150ns) starting at $2.75 each.

Wrong sounds and audits not saving properly is caused by (typically) to slow of 5101 or a mismatched speed pair. Always use matching 5101s in a MPU-200 board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-sound-issues-and-credits-weirdness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.